PDA

View Full Version : BMW Gallery | 2014 BMW X5 (F15) Review

JustinMCS
11-19-2013, 01:17 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img208/7059/5mbq.jpg
I recently had the opportunity to review the 2014 BMW X5 for Ryan at BMW Gallery. I was absolutely thrilled to see the latest offering from BMW as I have loved the X5 since its inception in 2000, and let me tell you, this third generation is just stunning.

Starting with the exterior, everything is very modern and striking. All of the exterior lights on this model are LED and looks high end and sophisticated. The front end looks very muscular, mean, and distinctively BMW.
The options available on the new X5 are amazing. This model has pretty much everything available, but it doesn’t take away from the driving experience. This X5 is the xDrive35i which is plenty of power for driving around downtown and on the highway. I can only imagine how the xDrive50i drives and can’t wait to test that one also.

The new key fob feels very high quality and is well weighted, allowing you to unlock, lock, open the power tailgate and activate the panic alarm. This; however, is not needed, because Comfort Access allows you to enter the vehicle with just your touch. You can unlock and lock the vehicle from all four doors and tailgate. This is great when your hands are full, of, whatever!

The driving experience is amazing and I just loved the different modes. When I went to visit my parents out in Rocky View County, I had the X5 in Comfort mode. The vehicle floated along effortlessly and when I wanted to overtake a vehicle or merge onto the highway, I would switch it into Sport mode. The Sport mode just livens the vehicle up and brings out the power, control and sportier suspension feel.

http://imageshack.us/a/img38/2742/v8vv.jpg

I currently own a 2009 BMW 335i sedan with the updated iDrive system that was brought out in 2009. I love the this version of the iDrive in the 2009-2012/13 models, and now with the latest version of iDrive in the 2014 X5, they have just made it more slick.

I can’t believe the amount of options the iDrive allows you to effortlessly modify to make the vehicle so much more personalized to your tastes. You can change the ambient interior lighting colour, brightness, control displays, safety features, media options, text messages, cell phone features, and, even browse the internet! The new iDrive controller is also amazing with the addition of the touchpad. Now there are more ways to control the system and that’s the great thing about it. You can use the dial controller or the new touchpad. Out of all of my experiences with different manufacturers, I have to say, and without bias, the iDrive is hands down the most feature rich and easiest to use.

http://imageshack.us/a/img706/656/rzod.jpg

Compared to my BMW, the new iDrive has some aesthetic upgrades, a fluid motion between screens, nice graphics, and it’s blazing fast. From navigation, to music, phone control, parking systems and cameras, it is just slick. You will have to see it in action!
I have two dogs, one is a French Bulldog and one is a French Bulldog mixed with Boston Terrier. Their kennel fit easily in the back with room for groceries. You can even see Tyson in the back enjoying the elevated height. He is rather close to the ground usually!

http://imageshack.us/a/img39/6691/aifu.jpg

I don’t want to overwhelm the average driver with just the amount of options you get with the vehicle. Once you get familiar with the new X5 and the available options, it really works well for daily driving. I really enjoyed the safety features; the blind spot monitoring, the forward collision warning, lane departure warning and pedestrian monitoring. They just work and help aid you to safer driving. If they are annoying, you can simply turn them off with one button on the dashboard.
One of my personal favourites that I can see being very helpful when taking a road trip and driving at night is the automatic high beams. With a button push, the lights take control and will activate and deactivate when the X5 senses oncoming traffic and traffic in front of you. Very neat.

Since I had the vehicle, I wanted to get my parents’ and friends’ opinions. All the feedback was great. They loved the striking look, the interior creature comforts and the driving experience. My dad particularly liked how all the interior lights can be dimmed so that they aren’t distracting at night. He also loved the interior ambient lighting and that you can change it from a combination of orange, blue or white.

Rear seats on the model I tested were roomy, comfortable and packed with options. Heated seats and rear entertainment makes you feel like you are not missing out on anything. Usually when I sit in the rear seats, I feel left out. Definitely not in this model! You see the navigation, media player and watch movies! If you have kids, this will keep them nice and quiet during boring rush hour traffic.

http://imageshack.us/a/img12/4756/qvp4.jpg

Speaking of rush hour traffic, the new BMW X5 makes your life easy with the automatic start/stop of the engine to save on fuel and the automatic hold feature. This feature keeps the brakes applied for you when you come to a stop—so you’re not keeping your foot on the brake.

The new LED Adaptive headlights took some getting used to compared to my Xenon Adaptive headlights. The colour is slightly different and the pattern is slightly different. However, the LED headlights and fog lights were just amazing. They move with the steering wheel to accurately light up where you are going and they are bright. I love them because the LEDs are rated for such a long life span, this means they should last you a very long time. The X5 has LED lighting everywhere on the interior and exterior, this means you will never need to change a regular bulb. How nice is that?

Out of the entire vehicle, there was very little that I disliked. I am tall, at 6’1”, and when I am driving, the temperature display get slightly hidden because they are recessed. I have to lean back to see the entire numbers. Not a big deal, because otherwise I can see everything else without issue. The Heads Up Display system is wonderful. All of your navigation, audio, telephone and speed are projected in your windshield. This is a great option to have

http://imageshack.us/a/img27/2238/obcn.jpg.

I also feel the iDrive controller could be moved back a little bit so that you can see all of buttons. When you are getting used to the button placement, you have to glance over the gear shifter, but once you get used to the button layout, you won’t even need to look at it because each button is clearly defined.
I use iTunes playlists in my current car, and for some reason, they would not load on the new system. I would have to look into what I need to modify to get them to work. I am sure it’s possible as the playlist feature is on the new model.

Overall, as the the need for an SUV is more apparent, this X5 is definitely my next vehicle. It is just a blast to drive, looks amazing, and has enough technology to keep you entertained for years! I did not want to give it back.

http://imageshack.us/a/img199/8862/uq8r.jpg

Any questions, comments, suggestions, put them in this thread! And go bug Ryan at BMW Gallery, he will tell you all the details about this awesome ride!

Ciao.

k1l4m
11-19-2013, 01:38 AM
Definitely some sweet improvements for the X5, and a great review!

JordanLotoski
11-19-2013, 11:07 AM
:thumbsup:

Wrinkly
11-19-2013, 12:23 PM
All I can say is, I was very impressed and surprised by this SUV. Having owned BMW in the past and loved them, I had gone off them in recent years. This brought me right back! Thanks for the ride, Justin (and Ryan at BMW Gallery) :)

Graham_A_M
11-19-2013, 12:55 PM
god am so SO jealous of you. Wow.

Awesome review, thanks a ton.

el-nino
11-19-2013, 04:45 PM
Awesome review.
I just bought one 10 minutes ago :)
Very excited for the technology in this car.

Redlyne_mr2
11-19-2013, 05:44 PM
Great review, thanks for doing this Justin!