PDA

View Full Version : Rig Season

themack89
11-19-2013, 11:08 AM
Anybody have the skinny on who's busy this year for drilling? And service too I guess.

Supa Dexta
11-19-2013, 04:22 PM
Still kinda slow around right now. But winter is setting in for sure, so things should start ramping up shortly.

ExtraSlow
11-19-2013, 04:40 PM
A lot of the smaller contractors are flat out. Chinook Drilling has all but one of their rigs running.

Still, if you are looking for work, try the bigger boys. No sense applying somewhere that has been busy all year, as they'll have all the guys they need.

msommers
11-19-2013, 08:09 PM
I've heard the overall rig count is down quite a bit from previous years but things are ramping up in January. I'm not nearly as busy as I have been the last two years, until after Christmas when it sounds like I'm going to be flat out until breakup. Talking to the rig crew it sounded like they were in the same boat - they worked for Precision Drilling.

themack89
12-04-2013, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by msommers
I've heard the overall rig count is down quite a bit from previous years but things are ramping up in January. I'm not nearly as busy as I have been the last two years, until after Christmas when it sounds like I'm going to be flat out until breakup. Talking to the rig crew it sounded like they were in the same boat - they worked for Precision Drilling.

I hear the same thing.. My buddy works for Horizon and he says they are racked until just after New Years.

In any case, if someone else is interested I think Savanna is hungry. I got a call from them today

Kijho
12-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Super slow everywhere right now pretty much most places aren't working into the Holiday.
We've got guys off shift next week Dec 11th - January.

Perceptionist
12-04-2013, 12:38 PM
Not sure which companies are busy out there right now but the rig count and utilization look similar to this time last year and down a bit from 2011.

Here are the stats:
http://www.caodc.ca/statistics/rigcounts-drilling_weekly.html

SKR
12-04-2013, 08:58 PM
Probably everybody has spent their budget for this year and they're just waiting for January 1. Then they'll be pulling out every old shitheap out of the bush and slough bottoms to get shit done before breakup.

I can't imagine anyone won't be busy next month. That's like being in the Halloween business and being slow in October.

vengie
12-04-2013, 09:04 PM
Do you have a class 1? If so I'd reccomend getting in with a service company. We are FLAT out and have been since June. Going to continue this trend through breakup from what I've heard. (Cementing)

adamc
12-08-2013, 11:35 PM
vengie, who's "we"?

If you don't mind me asking, that is. Could you PM me if you'd rather not post in the thread?

Thanks

themack89
12-10-2013, 01:31 PM
Thanks to Vengie's help I got a job offer. I have 2 other interviews (well, one is a physical with PD) and one is MWD spot.

If you follow up with Vengie and ask him some questions, all I can say is their setup is PREMIUM. Such nice equipment and awesome guys.

vengie
12-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by themack89
Thanks to Vengie's help I got a job offer. I have 2 other interviews (well, one is a physical with PD) and one is MWD spot.

If you follow up with Vengie and ask him some questions, all I can say is their setup is PREMIUM. Such nice equipment and awesome guys.

Awesome to hear! Hope to see you around :thumbsup:

Env-Consultant
12-11-2013, 09:51 AM
Being that everybody deals with this every year, I decided to start a website dedicated to strictly oilfield discussion. I think it will mostly help with job seekers/posters, but also provide meaningful advice about the challenges of working in the Alberta Oilfield.

www.albertaoilfieldforum.com (http://www.albertaoilfieldforum.com)

It's brand new and I'm still trying to get people to sign up. Not trying to drive traffic away from Beyond - just trying to get some meaningful oilfield discussions going.

woodywoodford
12-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Env-Consultant
Being that everybody deals with this every year, I decided to start a website dedicated to strictly oilfield discussion. I think it will mostly help with job seekers/posters, but also provide meaningful advice about the challenges of working in the Alberta Oilfield.

It's brand new and I'm still trying to get people to sign up. Not trying to drive traffic away from Beyond - just trying to get some meaningful oilfield discussions going.

Damn, that's a sweet idea, I've been looking for a nice O&G specific forum. Hopefully you're able to draw in lots of regulars.

Env-Consultant
12-11-2013, 11:45 AM
Thanks for joining. Hopefully we can get our userbase up and have some useful discussions and posts.

We'll need some mods I imagine....

Env-Consultant
12-13-2013, 10:07 PM
I'm guessing some of you guys have seen the rig count stats before, but for those of you who haven't, it's a nice tool to see where things are at in the industry with respect to drilling. Depends on a lot of factors though, weather included.

This year, so far, doesn't look drastically different from last year.

http://www.caodc.ca/statistics/archive-rig_counts/DR-Monthly%20counts-10-13.pdf

annnnnnd.... the website

http://www.caodc.ca/statistics/rigcounts.html

themack89
12-14-2013, 10:15 AM
^-- Should make a sticky on your other forum! Perceptionist also mentioned the link earlier in the thread.

Does anyone know where to get some good anti-fog stuff for safety glasses?

DustanS
12-14-2013, 11:40 AM

Env-Consultant
12-15-2013, 12:08 AM
Thanks a million for joining. I have been calling my contractors and trying to get them to join up and spread the word. I'll probably update to Vbulletin or an advanced PHPBB Style in the near future, but I didn't want to do that until I can ensure I can get my user-base up. I know it looks like shit on mobile, but it is what it is for now.

Don't forget to post questions, etc. The more relevant posts, the more people will be willing to use the site - don't be shy.

I'll add the Rig Stats to a post. I only have my Admin account and the Consultant account, every other member is legitimate - I considered making a bunch of accounts and creating a false market, but I hate the idea of that - isn't in my bones.

Spread the word - means the world to me. I want this to work and make things better for people working in this industry - it can be brutal at times and a little support goes a very long way.

hightimes
06-16-2014, 04:01 PM
Driving to Nisku tomorrow (from Calgary) to apply to any and all drilling companies that are hiring. I've done a quick search and have a few companies listed that seem to be hiring but just looking to see if anyone knows of any companies hiring lease/floorhands atm. Ideally I want to go drilling over service as I'm looking to break into MWD down the road. I have all the tickets and 8 months experience in field operations but no rig experience.

Also, would it be worth stopping in Red Deer or Bentley or any other places between Calgary and Edmonton?

Is drilling starting to heat up in general or is it still pretty slow out there?

sxtasy
06-16-2014, 04:47 PM

It's brand new and I'm still trying to get people to sign up. Not trying to drive traffic away from Beyond - just trying to get some meaningful oilfield discussions going. That forum is a great idea, to bad its gone to shit with all the spam

Env-Consultant
06-18-2014, 09:48 AM
I had good intentions when I started it. I literally just didn't have time to market it properly and monitor it for spam. I ended up just letting it go to shit....

egmilano
07-08-2014, 03:33 PM
Patterson is super busy. All rigs should be up by the end of the week.

ExtraSlow
07-08-2014, 03:55 PM
Chinook is close to full utilization.
As always, PD will have a large number of rigs working.

msommers
07-09-2014, 11:22 AM
The rumor mill has been gossiping it's going to be a very busy season because companies are trying to ramp up volume? Anyone hear similiar?

vengie
07-09-2014, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by msommers
The rumor mill has been gossiping it's going to be a very busy season because companies are trying to ramp up volume? Anyone hear similiar?

I can tell you right now the service company I work is is FLAT out, in-fact we are having a hard time keeping up with demands as is.

HomespunLobster
07-09-2014, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by vengie

I can tell you right now the service company I work is is FLAT out, in-fact we are having a hard time keeping up with demands as is.
This.
I never got a spring break up. It was balls to the walls just before break up, get cleaned up, shop ready, inventory stocked and been doing field work for well over a month now.
Days off in the future? Doubtful

adamc
07-09-2014, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by vengie

^ this over here, too.

ddduke
07-28-2014, 05:06 AM

CompletelyNumb
07-28-2014, 07:58 AM
Ditto. Not enough guys, turning down work. I've been single man 6 out 8 days on this well so far. No end in sight to the work.

Fine by me. :poosie:

you&me
07-28-2014, 08:53 AM
I had good intentions when I started it. I literally just didn't have time to market it properly and monitor it for spam. I ended up just letting it go to shit....

Just took a peak and yep, it's gone to shit :poosie:

It's a great idea and could probably get a lot of activity once it got some traction... Is there any chance / way to clean it up?

ddduke
08-05-2014, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
Ditto. Not enough guys, turning down work. I've been single man 6 out 8 days on this well so far. No end in sight to the work.

Fine by me. :poosie:

Are you charging extra for working single man?

vengie
08-05-2014, 09:35 AM
If anyone is looking for work (Well Cementing) send me a PM. Candidates ideally will already have a class 1 license.

Env-Consultant
08-18-2014, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by you&me

Just took a peak and yep, it's gone to shit :poosie:

It's a great idea and could probably get a lot of activity once it got some traction... Is there any chance / way to clean it up?

I finally got around to cleaning it up. Did a system restore to just before my major customization (BBoots) and subsequent spam-fest. The registration has been switched to new users having to be approved by Admin. I'll leave it like that for now and check my email each night/approve people daily.

I haven't pushed for it too hard - in theory it could be an incredible resource, but it'll be a lot of work to get off the ground and to keep it maintained.

ExtraSlow
08-18-2014, 11:27 AM
This would be a great side-project for someone working MWD. Those dudes have a few hours a day to spare.

Graham_A_M
08-18-2014, 11:35 AM
OP, PM me, a buddy of mine is swamped. His Rig has been going steady for the last 8 years. Its called among others as "The Retirement Rig".

Yeah he's swamped, its all about finding the right rig if you're qualified.

CompletelyNumb
08-18-2014, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
This would be a great side-project for someone working MWD. Those dudes have a few hours a day to spare.

I'd be willing to lend a hand here. I have quite a bit of experience with forums. Admin a few of my own, was a mod at a pretty huge webmaster forum for the better part of a decade.

And I work MWD so I have a few minutes per day free time ;)

CompletelyNumb
08-18-2014, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by ddduke

Are you charging extra for working single man?

Sorry I missed your post. Currently my contract allows me to charge 50% extra for single man. I'm trying to get that bumped up though.

hightimes
08-27-2014, 03:53 PM
Anyone know of any companies currently hiring? Would prefer to do drilling. My only contact is the recruiter for Savanna and apparently they aren't taking on any new guys at the moment.

Trying to figure out if a drive up to Nisku from Calgary would be worth it. I have no rig experience but do have all the tickets.

Iceman_19
08-27-2014, 04:28 PM
My roommate is interested in rig work. What tickets will he need to get?

adamc
08-27-2014, 11:14 PM
there are shitloads of threads on this very site that explain everything you need to know about getting work on the rigs, in great detail.

Iceman_19
08-27-2014, 11:33 PM
Thank you for the help, appreciated!

ddduke
08-28-2014, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by hightimes
Anyone know of any companies currently hiring? Would prefer to do drilling. My only contact is the recruiter for Savanna and apparently they aren't taking on any new guys at the moment.

Trying to figure out if a drive up to Nisku from Calgary would be worth it. I have no rig experience but do have all the tickets.

You'll find work if you go to Nisku, or try Chinook in Calgary, they're fucking bush league and have a huge turnover rate but they're always hiring. Everyone is stupid busy right now.

What do you mean you want to do drilling? Like work on a drilling rig? If you mean you want to be a driller or dd then I don't think that's gonna happen.

ExtraSlow
08-28-2014, 06:56 AM
I always thought Nabors had decent iron and good field/nisku staff. Thier calgary office is a disaster, but that shouldn't make much difference to the boys touching the iron.

Chinook has very steady work for thier small fleet.

PD is the largest fleet, so maybe easiest to get into.

If you want the msot steady work, mention you don't mind small aircraft and fly-in/fly-out work, and that you don't do drugs (if that's true) and you may be able to get yourself onto one of the SAGD pad rigs. Those generally work 48+ weeks a year, and lots of the crews are on a 2/2 rotation. That's gravy work.

hightimes
08-28-2014, 10:07 AM

You'll find work if you go to Nisku, or try Chinook in Calgary, they're fucking bush league and have a huge turnover rate but they're always hiring. Everyone is stupid busy right now.

What do you mean you want to do drilling? Like work on a drilling rig? If you mean you want to be a driller or dd then I don't think that's gonna happen.

Thanks for the reply.

I just mean I want to work on a drilling rig rather than service. Just more interested in getting experience in drilling. But yeah I realize I will be a leasehand/floorhand where ever I end up.

hightimes
08-28-2014, 11:26 AM
Anyone ever work for Spirit West Energy Services? Or know anything about them?

hightimes
08-29-2014, 02:44 PM
Another question, do service guys normally get subsistence? Talked to a guy about a job today and they're paying $28.75/hour but he didn't mention subsistence. I see on the CAODC site that they recommend $50/day. Should I expect to get that?

ddduke
09-02-2014, 10:04 PM

Graham_A_M
09-03-2014, 10:51 AM
^ holy high maintenance batman :eek:

Hallowed_point
09-03-2014, 10:59 AM
^I'm assuming it's high trans fat/cholesterol laden pizza pops and the like. In that case, I don't blame dduke one bit :dunno:

adamc
09-03-2014, 11:05 AM
No, no pizza pops or pre-prepared food at all. 99% of the meals are made fresh daily. Food quality varies widely amongst camps, but it's usually pretty normal homestyle food. Roast beef dinner with the trimmings, chicken dishes with rice, etc. etc. All comparable to what most guys would be getting at home if grandma was cooking - I've had some spectacular camp meals over the years.

ddduke is well known to be a bit of a princess. ;)

ddduke
09-03-2014, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by adamc
ddduke is well known to be a bit of a princess. ;)

Can't help that I have a taste for the finer things in life :devil:

Most camps have really good food, but no healthy options. They'll usually have a pub food night, then a steak night, sometimes a Chinese night, breakfast is pretty typical, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages and pancakes, bagged lunches will be 2 cans of pop, some sandwiches and a few little treats.

It's just hard to tell the camp cook that for breakfast I want complex carbs with 10-12 egg whites, then 5 more lean proteins for the day with gluten free carbs and fresh veggies.

Easier to just buy your own shit and cook for yourself.

CompletelyNumb
09-03-2014, 02:39 PM
1/10 drilling camps might have healthy food options. Best bet is to tell the cook you're diabetic and celiac. Ask them to make you a couple plain chicken breasts with plain veggies for supper. |Season it yourself.

Unless you want to eat deep fried food 7 nights a week.

adamc
09-03-2014, 03:17 PM
I thought I was picky but I've worked on maybe, let's see, over 50 different rigs now? A good portion had camps. I've been upset with the food at maybe 3 camps in my entire career.

:dunno:

Certainly non-camp is better, but if I get stuck with a camp I've found the staff to be pretty accommodating. Send me out plain chicken breasts, pork chops, etc. and I spruce them up myself.

adamc
09-03-2014, 03:18 PM
BTW - how was the sky diving, boss? :)

CompletelyNumb
09-03-2014, 04:55 PM
Bad tasting food is rare. If you're watching your diet and macros though, you can run into trouble. Like you said. Send plain proteins and veggies. Season yourself. Most cooks are accommodating to that.

Skydiving was amazing man. Didn't get all 10 jumps done though, wind was too high the last day. In the city all week if you want to grab a beer.

hightimes
09-04-2014, 01:21 AM
How long would be a reasonable time to expect to move up to Derrickhand from Floorhand on a service rig?

adamc
09-04-2014, 12:19 PM
how long is a piece of rope?

adamc
09-04-2014, 12:23 PM
also no idea why anyone would voluntarily work circus rigs.

CompletelyNumb
09-04-2014, 04:07 PM
Depends on turnover. I did it in two years staying on the same rig. Could probably do it in under one if you're a good hand and willing to move around.

hightimes
09-04-2014, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
Depends on turnover. I did it in two years staying on the same rig. Could probably do it in under one if you're a good hand and willing to move around.

I see. Thanks for the reply.

ddduke
09-07-2014, 06:29 AM
Hey adamc, speaking of me being a bit high maintenance, how do you like this? Picked up an espresso maker for the ol' desk. Can't mix peasant coffee with my strict diet, right?

#highmaintenanceriglife

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g67/polish_stylez/20140907_061605_zps0fc7f9ee.jpg (http://s53.photobucket.com/user/polish_stylez/media/20140907_061605_zps0fc7f9ee.jpg.html)

adamc
09-07-2014, 03:28 PM
Not gonna lie, that's pretty fucking awesome.

I have a much more modest setup and the rig hands bug me for coffee almost every day.

Env-Consultant
09-07-2014, 03:33 PM
Hey adamc, speaking of me being a bit high maintenance, how do you like this? Picked up an espresso maker for the ol' desk. Can't mix peasant coffee with my strict diet, right?

#highmaintenanceriglife

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g67/polish_stylez/20140907_061605_zps0fc7f9ee.jpg (http://s53.photobucket.com/user/polish_stylez/media/20140907_061605_zps0fc7f9ee.jpg.html)

:thumbsup:

https://twibbon.s3.amazonaws.com/2011/333/temp_47cc1bd8-4190-4897-82ac-4176c57e45b6.png

CompletelyNumb
09-07-2014, 06:35 PM
F*ck me that's nice. /hides keurig and weeps