PDA

View Full Version : clean out in drain stack... do I?

AndyL
11-20-2013, 05:17 PM
Gah... This damn kitchen sink will be the death of me...

Code question - can I install a cleanout onto an arm of the sewer stack? Its been cut and spiced about 8x by the looks of it... Likely for this reason - this drain is problematic...I was going to cut out all the couplers and install a new pipe with clean out to save pain on the next go around (if I don't just loose it start hacking a ceiling open and replace the 1¼ line with some 1¾ or 2" first)

mr2mike
11-26-2013, 09:35 AM
Pictures so we can share your pain?

Why is it a pain? Galvanized?

AndyL
11-26-2013, 11:36 AM
Well, did it... No didn't take pics...

Unfortunately its behind the stacked washer/dryer - so its a royal pain to get at. Pretty sure the blockage was actually coming from all the splices between the stack and the ceiling bulkhead where the line dissapears. There was literally 8 connections/splices in a <4' section of pipe.

At some point I'll have to take down the bulkhead and ceiling and replumb this line - its 2" from the sink to the floor And 2" from the bulkhead to the stack, but 1¼ through the ceiling. From reading - thats wholely inadequate for this length of run - and what's attached to it.

Took a long time to find a 75' snake that'd fit through 1¼ pipe...

blitz
11-26-2013, 12:36 PM
I put a cleanout just like that when I re-plumbed my house and it passed inspection.

ExtraSlow
11-26-2013, 01:43 PM
Did I read that right? You are having clogging issues in your vent stack? What the hell is causing that?

AndyL
11-26-2013, 03:07 PM
No, where the kitchen drain meets the main sewer stack... (Which yes connects to a vent line but no vent isn't plugged that I know of)

ExtraSlow
11-26-2013, 03:47 PM
Ah, got it. Sounds like a clusterfuck in any case. Good luck!

mr2mike
11-26-2013, 04:52 PM
Weirdest thing I saw in a house I looked at was they had a lenthy horizontal drain tube off a kitchen sink. Halfway down the horizontal line, I saw a 45* Y installed with a waterline tapped into the end and a ball valve on the water line. Clearly it plugged up and that was their fix to push things through. Could see it from the basement with the unfinished ceiling.
Didn't buy the house.