PDA

View Full Version : "Inspect A Car" new company

MGCM
11-20-2013, 11:56 PM
http://inspectacar.vm-host.net/

anyone heard about this company? any beyond member reviews?

very interesting concept, inspection, no referals, no repairs, no way to rip ppl off............will it work?

Rat Fink
11-21-2013, 07:58 AM

n1zm0
11-21-2013, 09:04 AM
I saw their proposal on Dragon's Den last night actually, pretty interesting, basically like a home inspection for cars I gather, don't repair - just take note and recommend course of action.

As they said, great for the licensed mechanic who doesn't want to turn wrenches but also doesn't want to have the responsibilities of a shop foreman. Great (and cheap compared to most places) for the regular Joe/Jane who wants a non-biased recommendation on a car they are interested in.

theken
11-21-2013, 09:09 AM
Got my inspection done there. No real complaints. Told me my rear struts were bad. Didn't agree as they had been done a year previous to he inspection and drove maybe twice. But I would recommend them, price was right

Dave P
11-21-2013, 09:28 AM
Would be interested to see his contract (assuming he has one).

Interesting to see what his liability exposure would be.

If he said something was good to go, and it wasn't, what would the outcome be.

Mitsu3000gt
11-21-2013, 09:38 AM
If it was a higher end car I'd still be taking it to the dealer, but I like that they don't do repairs so they have nothing to gain by finding "problems".

Masked Bandit
11-21-2013, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Dave P
Would be interested to see his contract (assuming he has one).

Interesting to see what his liability exposure would be.

If he said something was good to go, and it wasn't, what would the outcome be.

There's liability in theory and then there is the real world. I had always been told that if a mechanic inspected a vehicle and gave it a passing grade they could be held accountable if something occurred shortly thereafter. The reality is, no way. We had a case a couple of years ago where a kid got a "safety inspection" on a vehicle and then smashed it up 24 hours later because he lost control going around a corner. The cop gave him a ticket for driving with bald tires (can't remember the specific wording of the ticket) but on the inspection I got in my office the day before said the tires were good to go. The kid took out three cars in his accident so there was a lot of money paid out on this one but the insurer didn't even consider going after the mechanic. I asked about it and was told that it would never stick so there was no point wasting their time.

Dave, do you wanna guess which company he was with? Just think back a couple years to the days of "expressing" yourself.

corsvette
11-21-2013, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

There's liability in theory and then there is the real world. I had always been told that if a mechanic inspected a vehicle and gave it a passing grade they could be held accountable if something occurred shortly thereafter. The reality is, no way. We had a case a couple of years ago where a kid got a "safety inspection" on a vehicle and then smashed it up 24 hours later because he lost control going around a corner. The cop gave him a ticket for driving with bald tires (can't remember the specific wording of the ticket) but on the inspection I got in my office the day before said the tires were good to go. The kid took out three cars in his accident so there was a lot of money paid out on this one but the insurer didn't even consider going after the mechanic. I asked about it and was told that it would never stick so there was no point wasting their time.

Dave, do you wanna guess which company he was with? Just think back a couple years to the days of "expressing" yourself.

Had an inspection done this spring and the mechanic wrote down the serial numbers and took pictures of the tires. That way he can prove the car had passing grade tires at the time of inspection. He said it's a common practice by Taxi Cab drivers to swap tires for inspection time, once it's passed,they throw the old wore out tires back on the car. This practice has trickled down to shady car dealers/curbers.

Masked Bandit
11-21-2013, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by corsvette

Had an inspection done this spring and the mechanic wrote down the serial numbers and took pictures of the tires. That way he can prove the car had passing grade tires at the time of inspection. He said it's a common practice by Taxi Cab drivers to swap tires for inspection time, once it's passed,they throw the old wore out tires back on the car. This practice has trickled down to shady car dealers/curbers.

This kid bought the car privately and had it sitting at the house for at least a week ahead of time. I doubt he was organized enough to pull that scam.

corsvette
11-21-2013, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

This kid bought the car privately and had it sitting at the house for at least a week ahead of time. I doubt he was organized enough to pull that scam.

Thats just it, in you're customers case the heat is on the mechanic who signed off on a car with bad tires.

However, Shops/Mechanics have to be aware of the tricky shit customers might do to get an inspection passed.

TomcoPDR
11-21-2013, 02:10 PM
Aren't Ontario filled with these lemon-busters inc. type of inspection shops?