PDA

View Full Version : Eco Start/Stops

G
11-21-2013, 10:31 AM
So after having the car for a few days I am just not getting use to the eco start/stop function. Does it really save enough fuel to make a difference? Just coming down the Bow Trail hill this morning the car shut off like 5 times in stop and go traffic but I do admit the stop and start seems really seamless but just the shear number of times it restarts I can foresee a lot of wear and tear on parts. I know I can turn it off but like the C/M/S in the C63 you have to set it everytime you get into car. Another thing I find annoying is that the engine shuts off right when the speedo hits 0. There was a few times that the traffic started to move right at this moment thus the car was in a limbo state where it wanted to shut off but before the rpms dropped it started up again with a shudder.

Coming from the C63 I was kindof ho-hum because I was going from 487 to 402horses but after driving the car I realize it is just as fast as the C63 but without the grunt and gurgle. The torque is the same and both of these cars push you back in the your seat. Benyl did say that the power would feel about the same and there would be less power loss with the twin turbo V8 at our elevation I think he is right.

My little guy likes it.

http://i.imgur.com/gRLDL7k.jpg

I was sad when they discontinued the Ice Bears because they are such a great tire for no snow driving in the winter. But much to my surprise these Kumho KW27s are very much the same in every way. Not the greatest in snow and ice but really grippy on the dry cold pavement...Thanks Gary at UrbanX for squeezing me in even though you where fully booked last Saturday. :thumbsup:

http://i.imgur.com/bdVPNfI.jpg

Mitsu3000gt
11-21-2013, 10:33 AM
Can the stop/start be disabled on those cars? That would literally be the first thing I did on any car I ever got with that feature if it was at all possible.

rage2
11-21-2013, 10:39 AM
Yea just press the ECO button to disable. The AMG owners are very vocal about the feature defaulting on everytime the car restarts, because nobody buys an AMG for fuel economy, and they're too lazy to press a button everytime you fire up the car. Unfortunately, it does save a lot of fuel in city driving, and to meet CAFE standards, it's here to stay. At least it's one touch to disable.

Congrats on the car G, the engine is pretty slick. My CLS550 is dead even with the C63 BS from a roll at this elevation, and is quicker off the line thanks to AWD haha. If you want to make your car sound like a E63, it's a fairly simple exhaust mod. Lemme go look it up right now.

G
11-21-2013, 10:43 AM
Another gripe is that you have to go into the menu system to disengage traction control. Sometimes when you're kindof stuck you want to disengage right away instead of flipping through the menu options to find it....boo.

But the car is a dream to drive. Having the leather dash is add that much more to the car. I love the thick heavy thud you get when shutting the door then the seat belt extenders come out to hand my my seat belt it just feels like you are getting into something special.

G
11-21-2013, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Congrats on the car G, the engine is pretty slick. My CLS550 is dead even with the C63 BS from a roll at this elevation, and is quicker off the line thanks to AWD haha. If you want to make your car sound like a E63, it's a fairly simple exhaust mod. Lemme go look it up right now.

$$$$ to make it sound like a E63....could get annoying fast with the top down in the summer :rofl:

rage2
11-21-2013, 10:49 AM
http://mbworld.org/forums/cls-coupe-c218/454128-resonator-delete.html

$100 bro!

Yea, the TC off is a piss off, and it doesn't really disengage it fully either. Only the AMG's have the ESP button, and 3 stage ESP.

Also, when you want more power, a chip brings the car to about 550hp. The engine is pretty much exactly the same as the E63 motor, just with lower displacement.

lilmira
11-21-2013, 10:50 AM
The newer Audi cars are starting to have it too. I think the A3 has it. So the engine shuts off as soon as the car stops? It would be kinda annoying in crawling traffic especially behind the people who like to move only a few inches 40 times before they finally stop. Even now, I'd let them crawl a bit before I move or not move at all sometimes.

And how is this related to food? :nut:

G
11-21-2013, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by rage2
http://mbworld.org/forums/cls-coupe-c218/454128-resonator-delete.html

$100 bro!

Yea, the TC off is a piss off, and it doesn't really disengage it fully either. Only the AMG's have the ESP button, and 3 stage ESP.

Also, when you want more power, a chip brings the car to about 550hp. The engine is pretty much exactly the same as the E63 motor, just with lower displacement.

You guinea pig it first but as much as I like the sound it just won't suit the car having such a loud exhaust.lol.

Originally posted by lilmira
The newer Audi cars are starting to have it too. I think the A3 has it. So the engine shuts off as soon as the car stops? It would be kinda annoying in crawling traffic especially behind the people who like to move only a few inches 40 times before they finally stop. Even now, I'd let them crawl a bit before I move or not move at all sometimes.

I became a crawler too because I don't want the engine to stop for a second and restart up when I know traffic is going to start moving soon.

:nut:

rage2
11-21-2013, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by G
You guinea pig it first but as much as I like the sound it just won't suit the car having such a loud exhaust.lol.
You were the one complaining about the exhaust being ho hum. :rofl:

Strider
11-21-2013, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by lilmira

The Fxx BMWs have it too. One of the first things I did was to code it to default off (I personally didn't see enough savings to warrant extra wear and tear on starter parts).

After enough backlash, BMW issued a service bulletin allowing people to request it to default to the last setting... too bad mbz won't do the same.

There's ways to defeat the start-stop on BMWs if you're behind one of those crawlers... Either feather the brake or pump down on it right as you come to a stop. I'd imagine there's similar on the mbz?

Xtrema
11-21-2013, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Can the stop/start be disabled on those cars? That would literally be the first thing I did on any car I ever got with that feature if it was at all possible.

The A6 TDI I was in, you can turn off auto start/stop and it remember the setting so it doesn't come back on.

It's an uneasy feeling because it wasn't seamless and when power cuts, the steering freezes in place.

rage2
11-21-2013, 11:19 AM
The starters are a lot beefier in start-stop cars. Also, the restart procedure is aided by firing the proper cylinder, so it's a lot less stressful on the starter than a normal crank/start procedure.

In any case, everytime I'm in a newer AMG, I press the ECO button. And toggle to M mode. Then turn ESP off. It's pretty much routine at this point and not a huge deal.

Mitsu3000gt
11-21-2013, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

The A6 TDI I was in, you can turn off auto start/stop and it remember the setting so it doesn't come back on.

It's an uneasy feeling because it wasn't seamless and when power cuts, the steering freezes in place.

That's good news. Seems like there's a workaround for all these cars at least. I would absolutely hate the feature, and probably wouldn't buy a car even if I loved it otherwise if the stop/start couldn't be disabled.

CapnCrunch
11-21-2013, 11:45 AM
Just curious, how does the system work when the car is still cold and trying to warm up to operating temperature?

G
11-21-2013, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
Just curious, how does the system work when the car is still cold and trying to warm up to operating temperature?

The ECO start/stop function is operational and the eco symbol is displayed in green in the multifunction display, if:
- the indicator lamp in the ECO button is lit green.
- the outside temperature is within the comfort range.
- the engine is at normal operating temperature.
- the set temperature for the vehicle interior has been reached.
- the battery is sufficiently charged.
- the system detects that the windshield is not fogged up when the air-conditioning system is switched on.
- the hood is closed.
- the driver's door is closed and the driver's seat belt is fastened.

If conditions for automatic engine switch-off have not been fulfilled, the eco symbol will be shown in yellow. All of the vehicle's systems remain active when the engine has been stopped automatically. The engine can be switched off automatically a maximum of four times (first stop and three subsequent stops) in succession. The eco symbol is shown in yellow in the multifunction display after the engine has been started automatically for the fourth time. The automatic engine
switch-off is available once again when the eco symbol is shown in green in the multifunction display.

Mibz
11-21-2013, 12:42 PM
Pffft, easy fix, just ride around without your seatbelt.