PDA

View Full Version : NAS solution

FixedGear
11-22-2013, 10:34 AM
I've got a a DNS-323 with two 2 TB drives in RAID configuration. I am running out of space, and need to either upgrade the drives to larger ones, buy a new NAS with more bays, or just add another NAS to my network.

Can anyone offer suggestions for the best ans easiest way to do it? Just adding another NAS would be a PITA as far as having two separate servers on teh network (I'd rather just have to deal with a single one) -- although I suppose I could sell or donate the DNS-323 when i'm finished with it. As for buying larger drives for my existing NAS, i'm not sure how I would move the contents of my existing drives over to that. If I buy a bigger NAS with more bays, is it possible to add in my existing drives and then add in a couple more larger drives?

Any recommendations would be much appreciates

Xtrema
11-22-2013, 10:43 AM
If DNS-323 in mirror format doesn't allow live upgrade of disks (can it even support over 2TB?). You have no choice but buy a bigger and more future proved one and move data there.

Then DNS-323 can probably remain as your backup. 4TB RAID0 and you can replicate things you don't really want to lose on the new NAS.

As for what to buy new, I like both Synology and Drobo. Both support live upgrade with their RAID setup, so they are future proof. It's just depends on price point and features you want.

FixedGear
11-22-2013, 12:57 PM
OK I will have to look into if I can do a live upgrade with DNS-323, and if it can accept larger than 2 TB drives. I'd like to keep it if possible, but if not I will look into the others you suggested. Thanks :thumbsup: