PDA

View Full Version : Selling a car without insurance or registration?

wah
11-22-2013, 03:29 PM
I've been out of the country for over a year and in the time I let my car insurance and registration expire. I'm back for a few weeks and would like to try to sell this car. Can I do this with out a valid registration or insurance?

G-ZUS
11-22-2013, 03:34 PM
Yes you can, just dont allow test drives I guess. And just print off a bill of sale and sign it over to them.

wah
11-22-2013, 03:37 PM
Cool! I guess it might be difficult trying to find a buyer without allowing for a test drive.

ExtraSlow
11-22-2013, 04:39 PM
lots of people do this, and ask that test drives be done only "around the block" from thier house. If the car gets in an accident, or someone gets hurt, the iabilities are huge, but lots of people do this.

Or no test drives at all, and expect to discount the car accordingly.

speedog
11-22-2013, 04:41 PM
Sold my El Camino within 8 days of be listed - it had been unregistered for 20 years and only had fire/theft/vandalism insurance on it. Drove it 2 blocks to the community center and sale was done.

speedog
11-22-2013, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
lots of people do this, and ask that test drives be done only "around the block" from thier house. If the car gets in an accident, or someone gets hurt, the iabilities are huge, but lots of people do this.

Or no test drives at all, and expect to discount the car accordingly.

Dunno - sold my El Camino for over 90% of the asking price and I had it priced higher than I ever thought I'd sell it for.

lilmira
11-22-2013, 04:44 PM
That's up to you. You are still the owner. The buyer won't care as long as he likes the car.

carson blocks
11-22-2013, 06:14 PM
Your success will depend on the type and value of the car. Older cars and special interest cars are often bought by enthusiasts who are more comfortable with checking the vehicle out themselves and maybe taking it around the block. Anything newer or $5-10k+, people start expecting to be able to take it for a good drive, and you often get people who just aren't experienced enough to be comfortable buying a car they can't thoroughly test out.

If it's an enthusiast car or beater, try to sell it without plating it, I've bought and sold lots of cars this way. If it's newer, high dollar, or more 'family' oriented, throw insurance on it for a few weeks to open up your market and get a better price.

Chantastic
11-22-2013, 06:42 PM
Is there such a thing as one day insurance you can buy?

ExtraSlow
11-22-2013, 08:19 PM
My insurance company will put insurance on a car for as many days as you want. you can start it Monday and cancel it Tuesday, and only pay for a single day.
Or for a week, or whatever you need to sell it.

And Speedog, you were selling a classic, the rules are slightly different.

16hypen3sp
11-22-2013, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
My insurance company will put insurance on a car for as many days as you want. you can start it Monday and cancel it Tuesday, and only pay for a single day.
Or for a week, or whatever you need to sell it.

And Speedog, you were selling a classic, the rules are slightly different.

Which company?

englishbob
11-22-2013, 08:53 PM
Intact did it for me when I bought a car for my daughter, she was too young too drive but I wanted to get it to my place ready,24 hours full insurance.
Whoever you insured with before should do it.