PDA

View Full Version : Black Lotus sells for $27,302.

ZenOps
11-22-2013, 07:07 PM
http://www.geek.com/games/black-lotus-magic-the-gatherings-most-famous-card-sells-for-27302-1577939/

Not the auto of the flower, the paper playing card.

snowcat
11-22-2013, 07:25 PM
I have no idea what this game entails, but I did read in the article the card is banned in almost all the games... 30K for nothing haha!

BoostinAround
11-23-2013, 12:53 AM
Inflation at its finest...I remember 5 years ago 1 sold for $3,000 and it was considered a lot.....

Maybe i should dig up my old cards and see what the values are.. I have a lot of early dual lands, probably worth something!

jdmXSI
11-23-2013, 01:01 AM
Ahhh good ol' Magic cards, a friend of mine just sold a portion of his collection for $4k... I had no idea people would pay that kind of $$$ for a playing card.

e31
11-23-2013, 01:02 AM
Those game cards appear to be traded amongst nerds as successfully as any fiat currency in current use.

Do I detect a hint of jealousy? Should have stocked up on that otherwise valueless printed paper there ZenOps.

Nickels...
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121205194059/simpsons/images/e/e9/Nelson_Ha-Ha.jpg

ZenOps
11-23-2013, 06:56 AM
No jealousy, nickels do go for more. All hail the mighty nickel.

1913 V is currently at $3 million.

But it does go to show that relative rarity does have value, even comparing paper to paper.

The US printed 3,027,200,000 $100 bills in the year 2012. You would need about 1,000 of those $100 bills to trade for the rare pokemon card that is on the auction block (mentioned at the bottom of the original article)

What is the better value? Price determines the value of everything.

JRSC00LUDE
11-23-2013, 08:52 AM
I no longer believe ZenOps is crazy. Peculiarly occupied with some things but, with a logic I can often follow. So, not crazy.

Does that mean I am now crazy?

btimbit
11-23-2013, 08:58 AM
Black Lotus... Sounds like a sex toy.

That's all I've got to contribute to this thread

403ep3
11-23-2013, 10:28 AM
I can't believe I didn't start collecting this stuff at a young age..

mork
11-23-2013, 10:59 AM
dude bought the wrong kind of lotus

themack89
11-23-2013, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by ZenOps
Price determines the value of everything.

People in their respective markets determine the value of things... Ex.: You could have been kidnapped when you were 3, taken overseas and sold into a sex trade for maybe $50. Does this mean your value is $50? No. It means in this respective market, people have valued you at $50.

Sorry for the fucked up example.. :rofl:

On Topic: When I was a kid I remember a dude selling a Black Lotus card for $250. Back then I thought he was crazy hahaha.

ZenOps
11-23-2013, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
I no longer believe ZenOps is crazy. Peculiarly occupied with some things but, with a logic I can often follow. So, not crazy.

Does that mean I am now crazy?

Welcome to the dark side.

I'll tell you when you have gone completely conspiratard. When you don't completely dismiss the idea that they created DNA spliced human with reptiles and cuttlefish many decades ago - sort of like how they make fish gene tomatoes and apples that don't go brown today.

swak
11-23-2013, 02:01 PM
I was expecting this thread to be about a car going for cheap not a magic the gathering card... I am disappointed.

Xtrema
11-23-2013, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by BoostinAround
Inflation at its finest...I remember 5 years ago 1 sold for $3,000 and it was considered a lot.....

Maybe i should dig up my old cards and see what the values are.. I have a lot of early dual lands, probably worth something!

This isn't inflation. It's signs that nerds are now making serious cash.

HyperZell
11-23-2013, 06:17 PM
27k? Pffft. Try 100k for a Pokemon card (if it sells, lol).

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/09/10/ultra-rare-pikachu-illustrator-card-on-sale-for-100000

eglove
11-23-2013, 06:53 PM
Sold mine 13 years ago for $2,000 :( that sucks

Edit: that was with my moxes too. So probably $1,000 for the lotus

Sugarphreak
11-23-2013, 07:09 PM

BigMass
11-23-2013, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by HyperZell
27k? Pffft. Try 100k for a Pokemon card (if it sells, lol).

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/09/10/ultra-rare-pikachu-illustrator-card-on-sale-for-100000

you can't really compare a promo card where only 6 were ever made to a full production run card like the black lotus.

BigMass
11-23-2013, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I wonder if these would actually make good investments... or if in 20 years they will actually devalue because people realize they are stupid? :dunno:

whats the difference between this and a Mickey Mantle or Babe Ruth rookie card or a valuable comic? It's a collectable like any other. There is a reason a card like the black lotus is expensive, it's rarity. It's not because of some inflated temporary demand like pogs or beanie babies. Usually high end collectibles tend to do well over time and often used as inflation hedges by rich people. That and art. I don't think there is any high end comic book (Action 1, superman 1, captain America 1, etc) that is worth less now that it was 20 years ago. Just like with Magic the gathering. Black Lotus, Moxes etc. aren't going to get cheaper that's for sure.

Sugarphreak
11-24-2013, 11:51 AM

msommers
11-24-2013, 11:57 AM
The fact the game has been going on for as long as it has, I have no doubt it will continue and cards like this will increase in value.

BigMass
11-24-2013, 12:02 PM
I can see the value in rare baseball cards, they are linked to superstars who will basically be household names for as long as America stands.

Also for comics, they are filled with art by now famous people, and they are an iconic part of the last century.

Magic cards lack all of this, collected by a group of outcasts who were no doubt ridiculed for it at least a few times. I guess I have a hard time believing there is long term value in them.

Yes Magic the gathering is somewhat niche, but its now a world wide phenomenon. 1100 alpha black lotuses were made. at least 100 have probably been lost to destruction and hundreds more were beat to shit in terms of condition. You don't need a lot of people wanting one to make the price skyrocket. As more and more change hands, wealthy people end up owning them and have zero reason to ever sell them because they don't really need the cash. More and more get circulated and held onto, the supply dries up really fast

Perfect Dark
11-24-2013, 12:17 PM
I can see the value in rare baseball cards, they are linked to superstars who will basically be household names for as long as America stands.

Also for comics, they are filled with art by now famous people, and they are an iconic part of the last century.

Magic cards lack all of this, collected by a group of outcasts who were no doubt ridiculed for it at least a few times. I guess I have a hard time believing there is long term value in them.

The thing you're overlooking is that now a decent portion of these outcasts are probably doing pretty well for themselves and have some disposable income to spend on the things that they used to (or still do) enjoy.

Chances are also good that they're still single so what else are they going to spend it on :D

Neil4Speed
11-24-2013, 01:33 PM
I agree with you BigMass and PerfectDark. I remember when I was into Magic (~1997), these were about $300 to buy on the open market.

It was actually a pretty fun game to play. I should dig mine up, I had a mean Red Instant deck.

GOnSHO
11-24-2013, 01:40 PM
I had a black lotus when i was younger, sold all my cards plus that one for about 5,000...

Xtrema
11-24-2013, 09:04 PM

IMO all collectibles value is based on demand. Demand is driven by relevance of the subject and the amount collectors left to pursue it.

Just looks at Harley's, they were hot for awhile when baby boomers are starting to retired. Now baby boomers are starting to lose their mobility, they are shit again.

Sugarphreak
11-24-2013, 10:04 PM

ZenOps
11-24-2013, 10:26 PM
There are plenty of collectables that are very generation specific.

Noone in their 60+'s is really a videogame collector (say Atari 2600) because in their teens it didn't exist.

Many who grew up in the 1969 era are astronaut collectors, many afterward wouldn't know or place any more value on a moon rock than a lump of coal. Ditto for silver coinage, this generation has no clue what it looks like - nevermind collect it. Same with nudie mags, of which the internet basically made obsolete. Has anyone set a record price for (the now bankrupt) Playboy #1 lately? Nope.

Twenty years from now, people will be saying to their kids - I used to remember back when Loonies were made of nickel.

The things of highest value tend to be the things that a generation had during childhood, but disappeared when aging to adult or elderly. But its usually important to have at least one point in time held it in your hand (One most covets what one once had, but lost)

Like Mr. Burns teddy bear.

lasimmon
11-25-2013, 02:13 PM
Pretty much a collectible card now. Banned in essentially every playable tournament.

JAYMEZ
11-25-2013, 07:52 PM
I have boxes of these cards at my parents from the 90s. I wonder how much its worth now lol

JRSC00LUDE
11-26-2013, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ
I have boxes of these cards at my parents from the 90s. I wonder how much its worth now lol

I'll give you $20.00. Unopened.

mr2mike
11-27-2013, 03:12 PM
Speaking of cards. I swear I heard a hockey card show going on soon.
Heard it on the Fan I think. It was about 6am so maybe I was hearing things.