PDA

View Full Version : Cop says insurance is void?

16hypen3sp
11-23-2013, 11:46 PM
My girlfriend will be owning and riding her own bike next season. She holds a Class 5, myself a Class 6. I understand that as long as she rides with me close to her she will be legal to ride holding a class 5 (Learner for class 6). The bike will be insured/registered under her name.

My question is about the police... Are they going to say her insurance is void because she doesn't have a class 6? (If we get pulled over.)

It may sound like a dumb question but I actually had this exact situation happen to me a while back. Cop said my insurance was void and impounded the bike.

My insurance company was told about that and said they didn't have a clue what the officer was talking about. The bike was insured.

Anyway, she will be learning on a CBR 125 and when she feels comfortable, she will challenge the road test. Hopefully sooner than later. Just don't want any trouble before hand.

Any thoughts on this?

The way I see it... If the bike is insured then it's insured. Just don't understand what the trouble was when I got pulled over and impounded.

(Here is an example of a situation which concerns me: Myself and her are cruising out of town when an officer pulls up behind, runs her plates, and pulls us over for her not having a valid class 6. Is he going to say the insurance is void because of that? Is he correct to say that?)

JRSC00LUDE
11-23-2013, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
My girlfriend will be owning and riding her own bike next season.

Did she buy it on a heloc?

Any thoughts on this?

Pics of girlfriend?

Tik-Tok
11-24-2013, 12:02 AM
Pics of heloc?

16hypen3sp
11-24-2013, 12:07 AM
hahaha... no HELOC's involved for a bike with a 1700 to 2000 dollar price tag.

No pics, but i can assure you... she's hot! :D

M.alex
11-24-2013, 01:29 AM
hahaha... no HELOC's involved for a bike with a 1700 to 2000 dollar price tag.

No pics, but i can assure you... she's hot! :D

Which probably means she's fat ... no pics no believe :rolleyes:

FraserB
11-24-2013, 01:33 AM
How is this even a question?

Do you seriously think that a police officer determines if your policy is void or not?

amear
11-24-2013, 03:54 AM
Tits or nothing dude. You gotta give some picture reference! After all this is Beyond.;)

16hypen3sp
11-24-2013, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by M.alex

Which probably means she's fat ... no pics no believe :rolleyes:

I guess your just going to have to take my word for it.

16hypen3sp
11-24-2013, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by FraserB
How is this even a question?

Do you seriously think that a police officer determines if your policy is void or not?

A police officer can determine whatever he wants. They shouldn't but they do.

Anyway, in no way, shape, or form would I agree with an officer saying it's void. But when I got impounded I had literally HAD to give the bike up or get arrested for obstruction. No joke. That's how out of control the traffic stop became.

He began referring to the insurance act during this stop saying that my insurance was void.

His direct quote "According to the Insurance Act of Alberta, you do not have insurance for this."

My question is why would he say that and would others say the same thing?

I also applaud you for being interested in my question and not my girlfriend - who does happen to be a 10/10. hahah

speedog
11-24-2013, 09:10 AM
Snowpussy's red haired cousin? :dunno:

englishbob
11-24-2013, 09:16 AM
Who really cares?
Why the 'ha ha' after 'shes's a 10/10?
You were obviously dropped as a baby and have a dislike for the CPS.

Graham_A_M
11-24-2013, 12:43 PM
The way I see this, is so long as both policies are up to date, paid and good then you're not in the wrong at all. With proper paperwork that he can verify on his in-car computer, I dont know what clause he'd have to say that the insurance is invalid.

Riding in close proximity with someone that does have their class 6 is perfectly legal, and nothing that would have any chance of voiding said insurance anyway.... so I dont really know WTF he's talking about.

Wrinkly
11-24-2013, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Snowpussy's red haired cousin? :dunno:

Can't be - no red haired cousins in the family ;)

16hypen3sp
11-24-2013, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by englishbob
Who really cares?
Why the 'ha ha' after 'shes's a 10/10?
You were obviously dropped as a baby and have a dislike for the CPS.

CPS? Alberta is a little bigger than just Cowtown.

I have only had to deal with the CPS once in my life thus far. I was a witness to a collision. It wasn't a bad experience. I have no reason to dislike them.

Maybe I should note the location too. This was a couple years ago around the Back Alley night club area. So it was quite the show.

BrknFngrs
11-24-2013, 10:50 PM
Any particualr reason your girlfriend wouldn't just take a riding course and get her license upfront? Great way to learn (probably with a bike provided by the school) and I have to think insurance would be cheaper with her full license and the course under her belt.

16hypen3sp
11-24-2013, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs
Any particualr reason your girlfriend wouldn't just take a riding course and get her license upfront? Great way to learn (probably with a bike provided by the school) and I have to think insurance would be cheaper with her full license and the course under her belt.

I agree but she doesn't want to. No point in arguing with her.

Personally I know many friends that took the course. Insurance wasn't any cheaper. It seems like any moving infractions already on your licence goes against any type of savings you would see by taking the course.

And get this... of all the insurance companies my broker deals with, only ONE takes sportbike riders. Not much for competition there.

BrknFngrs
11-24-2013, 11:25 PM
Personally I know many friends that took the course. Insurance wasn't any cheaper. It seems like any moving infractions already on your licence goes against any type of savings you would see by taking the course.

And get this... of all the insurance companies my broker deals with, only ONE takes sportbike riders. Not much for competition there.

Maybe one of the local insurance guru's can chime in but when I took my course and got my bike I could have swore that taking a course did something positive for your insurance. Something along the lines of giving you the equivalent of a years riding experience maybe?

95EagleAWD
11-24-2013, 11:44 PM
Course made no difference for me.

I had my bike insured without a Class 6 for two years of the four I had it before I decided I should probably just go get my Class 6 instead of riding all the time without it. There's no reason why an insurance company should care what kind of license you have; it makes no difference to them.

khanan
11-25-2013, 12:40 AM
As long as I thought, cops didn't have their database in sync with the insurance companies....

for example, You could show a cancelled insurance policy that still had a valid date with a valid registration and they wouldn't know.

16hypen3sp
11-25-2013, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD
Course made no difference for me.

I had my bike insured without a Class 6 for two years of the four I had it before I decided I should probably just go get my Class 6 instead of riding all the time without it. There's no reason why an insurance company should care what kind of license you have; it makes no difference to them.

Exactly. Thing that worries me about the course is, if it did make a difference, would it cost more to take vs. the savings on your insurance. I'm gonna go to my broker and find out. The local motorcycle course where I am cost $550!

$550... is that on par with other motorcycle schools in the province? And you also don't get your licence after the course either... just a date with an examiner.

Supa Dexta
11-25-2013, 06:03 AM
It was 150 back when I took it, and a couple years before that was only $75 :nut:

Masked Bandit
11-25-2013, 07:20 AM
Unfortunately the rider training course doesn't usually do much for your insurance. And when it does, the savings aren't anywhere near the cost of the course. With that said, it's still worth your time & effort to run through the course. Being dead with some extra money in your pocket is still a bad deal.

As for the insurance, there is no problem whatsoever. It is completely legal to register & insure a motorcycle with just a class five license. You just need to have someone with a class six with you (on their bike or in a car in the immediate area) when you're out riding. No problems here that I can see. And no, the police do not have access to any kind of real-time database to check your insurance, only your registration.

16hypen3sp
11-25-2013, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Unfortunately the rider training course doesn't usually do much for your insurance. And when it does, the savings aren't anywhere near the cost of the course. With that said, it's still worth your time & effort to run through the course. Being dead with some extra money in your pocket is still a bad deal.

As for the insurance, there is no problem whatsoever. It is completely legal to register & insure a motorcycle with just a class five license. You just need to have someone with a class six with you (on their bike or in a car in the immediate area) when you're out riding. No problems here that I can see. And no, the police do not have access to any kind of real-time database to check your insurance, only your registration.

Thanks Masked Bandit.

JRSC00LUDE
11-25-2013, 07:59 AM
Thanks Masked Bandit.

He's an insurance agent, in case that got past you, Sparky.

DeeK
11-25-2013, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

He's an insurance agent, in case that got past you, Sparky. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Isaiah
11-25-2013, 09:57 AM
Wrong thread. Just take her for a ride and post results in shit yourself thread.

95EagleAWD
11-25-2013, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by khanan
As long as I thought, cops didn't have their database in sync with the insurance companies....

for example, You could show a cancelled insurance policy that still had a valid date with a valid registration and they wouldn't know.

There's no way to check if insurance is actually valid short of calling the company and asking.

However, (and I have done it) if something seems fishy and I do call, and that policy is not valid even though you have a document saying it is, it's an automatic court date. I can't remember the TSA section off the top of my head. So take your chances, I guess!

Masked Bandit
11-25-2013, 11:05 AM
Who would have the stones to show a cop an invalid pink card knowing full well the policy is cancelled? These are things I just can't ever picture myself doing.

guessboi
11-25-2013, 11:29 AM
Who would have the stones to show a cop an invalid pink card knowing full well the policy is cancelled? These are things I just can't ever picture myself doing.

I have seen this a couple time this year. Insurance cancelled for non payment and I am glad the police called to confirm if the pink card is valid or not.

Cops do random calls to confirm if your pink card is valid or not.

khanan
11-25-2013, 03:54 PM
Nah, I would never do that. Nor have I dont it in the past lol
I never knew that they called to confirm. Thanks for the info.

carson blocks
11-25-2013, 05:05 PM
And you also don't get your licence after the course either... just a date with an examiner.

And a bunch of that knowledge stuff that might lower the odds of you and/or your girlfriend being cleaned up off the road with a shovel one day. Unfortunately most riders can't ride for shit, and most shitty riders think they're great.

Masked Bandit
11-25-2013, 05:44 PM
Nah, I would never do that. Nor have I dont it in the past lol
I never knew that they called to confirm. Thanks for the info.

I wouldn't say the CPS call all that often, we only get a call once every few weeks. Or maybe it's because we have a lot of Beyond clients and they never get pulled over! :D

khanan
11-25-2013, 06:22 PM

I wouldn't say the CPS call all that often, we only get a call once every few weeks. Or maybe it's because we have a lot of Beyond clients and they never get pulled over! :D

Aha not sure if that's entirely true, at least not for me lol

I took the insurance off my car (bmw) last week and put it on a new truck that I bought. I always park the bmw in the garage when winter hits, since it sucks so much in heavy snow. The car was parked in front of my house without insurance so I decided to take it to the garage once the snow cleared up.

When the roads cleared up a bit last week. I decided to finally park it. I was inside the car when I noticed a CPS car roll by, it went to the end of the street and then came around. In the mean time, I had already started driving towards the garage. As soon as I turned right into my back alley, they lights went off and I got pulled over.

He said that the plate of my bmw wasn't in the system. (not sure how he scanned the plate or whatever)

He asked for registration and insurance and I showed him my truck's and also the bmw's previous insurance.

I almost got ticketed, but he let me off with a warning only because I actually told him that the bmw didn't have insurance and I was just parking it in the garage.

I think that I got lucky that day, or else it would have been a 4k fine lol

btimbit
11-25-2013, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by guessboi

I have seen this a couple time this year. Insurance cancelled for non payment and I am glad the police called to confirm if the pink card is valid or not.

Cops do random calls to confirm if your pink card is valid or not.

Bit of a side-track, but can having a non-payment on record affect future insurance rates? Few months ago I had TD send me a letter saying my insurance was being cancelled, and try and claim I'd missed two payments. Only problem, I cancelled my insurance with them 2 months beforehand. After speaking with about 4 different supervisors they said they'd stop trying to collect the money. Any chance this comes back and bites me in the ass?

clem24
11-26-2013, 03:09 PM

Haha I did it once.. Was delivering my car to Tik Tok. Cleared everything out of it including insurance and reg papers. Got caught in a 50 zone doing 70 (1st ever ticket in the 10 years I've owned the car). All I had was an old expired insurance card in my wallet. Was nice, showed the cop, explained everything, and he only gave me a ticket for the speeding.

woodywoodford
11-26-2013, 03:20 PM

Aha not sure if that's entirely true, at least not for me lol

I took the insurance off my car (bmw) last week and put it on a new truck that I bought. I always park the bmw in the garage when winter hits, since it sucks so much in heavy snow. The car was parked in front of my house without insurance so I decided to take it to the garage once the snow cleared up.

When the roads cleared up a bit last week. I decided to finally park it. I was inside the car when I noticed a CPS car roll by, it went to the end of the street and then came around. In the mean time, I had already started driving towards the garage. As soon as I turned right into my back alley, they lights went off and I got pulled over.

He said that the plate of my bmw wasn't in the system. (not sure how he scanned the plate or whatever)

He asked for registration and insurance and I showed him my truck's and also the bmw's previous insurance.

I almost got ticketed, but he let me off with a warning only because I actually told him that the bmw didn't have insurance and I was just parking it in the garage.

I think that I got lucky that day, or else it would have been a 4k fine lol

Am I misunderstanding things or did you literally get pulled over in the time it took to move your car from the street in front of your house and into your garage? That's like a 40 foot drive if even :eek:

Masked Bandit
11-26-2013, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by btimbit

Bit of a side-track, but can having a non-payment on record affect future insurance rates? Few months ago I had TD send me a letter saying my insurance was being cancelled, and try and claim I'd missed two payments. Only problem, I cancelled my insurance with them 2 months beforehand. After speaking with about 4 different supervisors they said they'd stop trying to collect the money. Any chance this comes back and bites me in the ass?

Generally not your rates but it CAN exclude you from monthly payments for up to three years. However if you have already started insurance elsewhere it should be an issue. There is a good chance you'll have a cancellation for non-payment on your insurance history now. If you PM me your driver's license number I can run the report for you and let you know what shows up.

khanan
12-01-2013, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by woodywoodford

Am I misunderstanding things or did you literally get pulled over in the time it took to move your car from the street in front of your house and into your garage? That's like a 40 foot drive if even :eek:

Yeah you are reading it right lol. It literally was about 40 feet.

I am still not sure what made the cop search my plate in the first place?? but I never asked him.

atgilchrist
12-01-2013, 02:23 PM

Exactly. Thing that worries me about the course is, if it did make a difference, would it cost more to take vs. the savings on your insurance. I'm gonna go to my broker and find out. The local motorcycle course where I am cost $550!

$550... is that on par with other motorcycle schools in the province? And you also don't get your licence after the course either... just a date with an examiner.

Price/insurance savings aside, the course is a very good idea to take. i took it years ago in Nanaimo, and more than the riding skills - the defensive driving aspect is key for any driver. I think every new driver would benefit form taking the bike course, regardless of intention to actually ride a bike. The increased/different road awareness made a difference in my driving.

Khyron
12-01-2013, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by atgilchrist

Price/insurance savings aside, the course is a very good idea to take. i took it years ago in Nanaimo, and more than the riding skills - the defensive driving aspect is key for any driver. I think every new driver would benefit form taking the bike course, regardless of intention to actually ride a bike. The increased/different road awareness made a difference in my driving.

This. It shouldn't have anything to do with saving money. Those are all skills you should have cold before driving on public roads IMO.

Go4Long
12-01-2013, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by atgilchrist

Also 100% agree with this.

dexlargo
12-06-2013, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD
However, (and I have done it) if something seems fishy and I do call, and that policy is not valid even though you have a document saying it is, it's an automatic court date. I can't remember the TSA section off the top of my head. So take your chances, I guess! I remember it off the top of my head! TSA section 54(1).

Who would have the stones to show a cop an invalid pink card knowing full well the policy is cancelled? These are things I just can't ever picture myself doing. That's because you're not an idiot. You probably also wouldn't consider driving around in an uninsured vehicle too, amiright? If someone is willing to drive without insurance, I'm not surprised that they'd be willing to lie about having insurance.

I think that I got lucky that day, or else it would have been a 4k fine lol $2500 for a first offence, plus victim fine surcharge of 30% now (was just raised in late October from 15%), so a grand total of $3250.

For a second offence within 5 years, it's a minimum $5000 fine, with victim fine surcharge, that's $6500.

Oh and the victim fine surcharge having been raised will affect all of the tickets for speeding etc., so all traffic tickets will now be 15% more expensive.

khanan
12-06-2013, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by dexlargo
$2500 for a first offence, plus victim fine surcharge of 30% now (was just raised in late October from 15%), so a grand total of $3250.

For a second offence within 5 years, it's a minimum $5000 fine, with victim fine surcharge, that's $6500.

Oh and the victim fine surcharge having been raised will affect all of the tickets for speeding etc., so all traffic tickets will now be 15% more expensive.

Holy shit, that is crazy.

But what about without victim surcharge? and who pays the victim if you have no insurance?

95EagleAWD
12-06-2013, 10:58 PM
Victim surcharge AFAIK goes into a general pool of money used for victims of crime in Alberta.

khanan
12-06-2013, 11:27 PM
Oh, never knew about that. That's pretty interesting. So if there is no insurance on the person, does the crown pay the victim from the surcharge or no?