PDA

View Full Version : Buying a season pass...fernie,sunshine or lake Louise?

dsilvia89
11-25-2013, 02:26 PM
Hey everyone, it's been about 4 years since I mangled my arm snowboarding.

I'm getting back into it this year, and I plan to spend 4-5 days every other week up on the mountain staying a locals, hostels or cheap motels.

My question for you, is what are you experiences with these places?

I'll be spending a lot of nights there as well, so I'm looking for a place that doesn't shut down when the lifts stop.

I'll also likely be doing this solo, so if anyone's looking for a board/ski buddy, hit me up!

dsilvia89
11-25-2013, 10:45 PM
I'm leaning more towards sunshine or fernie. Sunshine seems to have lots of cheap hostels in Banff, so that's a plus compared to the only 2 I found in fernie.

Looking for other pros, and cons..

CivicTunr
11-25-2013, 11:25 PM
If you're going to go 8-10 times a month, I would just buy the Rocky Mountain super pass for $2200, it covers 8 mountains. In 3 months its paid for & you can ski a lot more places.

(Nakiska, Norquay, sunshine, Louise, marmot, pano, Kimberly, fernie)

I wish I had bought it after buying sunshine pass and Louise and rcr cards

Speed_69
11-25-2013, 11:31 PM
I would say Fernie hands down if you don't mind the commute distance/time. The past 2 years I've been there has definitely been my best boarding days. The amount of fresh snow they get there is just unreal and the mountain is great. I remember one weekend I went where they had 100cm of snow within 48hours.

Just my opinion but Sunshine and Lake Louise are mediocre when compared to Fernie.

dsilvia89
11-26-2013, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by CivicTunr
If you're going to go 8-10 times a month, I would just buy the Rocky Mountain super pass for $2200, it covers 8 mountains. In 3 months its paid for & you can ski a lot more places.

(Nakiska, Norquay, sunshine, Louise, marmot, pano, Kimberly, fernie)

I wish I had bought it after buying sunshine pass and Louise and rcr cards

I've thought about going that route, but realistically the less gas money for travel that better because this is all me, potential car pools here and there but that's it. I also live in Medicine Hat, so fernie and sunshine are relatively the same distance from here.

dsilvia89
11-26-2013, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by Speed_69
I would say Fernie hands down if you don't mind the commute distance/time. The past 2 years I've been there has definitely been my best boarding days. The amount of fresh snow they get there is just unreal and the mountain is great. I remember one weekend I went where they had 100cm of snow within 48hours.

Just my opinion but Sunshine and Lake Louise are mediocre when compared to Fernie.

How's fernie for beginners? I'm sure I'll be confident on blues after a couple times out, but It has been a while. That was my biggest attraction to fernie (the amount of snow they get). Plus I've heard the weather isn't as harsh at fernie compared to sunshine.

CivicTunr
11-26-2013, 07:37 PM
Fernie is big, so lots of runs.

You could get the big 3 pass (Norquay, Louise, sunshine for 1900)

Or the rcr super pass (Louise, fernie, kicking horse, Nakisha, and Kimberly for 1900)

'93 SR-V
11-26-2013, 10:39 PM
Fernie is a geat hill for powder... They get huge dumps compared to Louise/sunshine. It probably doesn't have as good of a selection of easy runs compared to Louise but falling in powder doesn't hurt so you can push yourself a little more if you want. The downsides of the hill are the length of the season (shortest of the three you mentioned) and the rain in the spring. The town itself is fun at night/ a real ski town. Back in high school my friends and I used to hit up the raging elk for a cheap place to stay (it's a hostel but you can get a private room w/ your own bathroom on the cheap).

Louise has a good selection of runs for somebody getting back into things. I find it icy at times but its quite scenic on a clear day. The town itself doesn't offer much so i imagine you would still find yourself staying in banff.

Sunshine has been my go to for the last few years. They don't make as much snow as Louise so I find its not as icy. It has a decent selection of green/blue runs and a solid 6 month season. It's closer to banff vs Louise and you can get some decent deals on the hotel with your season pass, especially when you go mid week and/or low times... It's a nice way to skip the drive at the end of the day and get first tracks the next morning. One thing snowboarders complain about is the flat spots... There are a few places you need to keep your speed up if you want to avoid walking out of!

avishal26
11-27-2013, 11:05 AM
I hate getting off chair lifts because I almost always fall.. probably has something to do with me not having 'stomp pads' on my board.

Which hills have only chair lifts and which have gondolas?

I know Lake Louise has a gondola but I think it's only for sight-seeing?

CivicTunr
11-27-2013, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by avishal26
I hate getting off chair lifts because I almost always fall.. probably has something to do with me not having 'stomp pads' on my board.

Which hills have only chair lifts and which have gondolas?

I know Lake Louise has a gondola but I think it's only for sight-seeing?

While a stomp pad may help, I don't know if that's the full cause of it. I would recommend riding without your rear binding, this has helped me with chair lifts.

Also Louise gondola is for skiing/boarding too, and kicking horse has a gondola. However if you have a problem with chair lifts, I doubt kicking horse would be a good mountain for you. As it is majority black and double black runs.

Speed_69
11-27-2013, 11:31 AM

Yeah I don't think that's the cause of you falling but like CivicTunr said, it may help. I ride without a stomp pad on my board and rarely fall when getting off the lift unless someone else on the lift ends up leaning towards my side and collides with my board haha

avishal26
11-27-2013, 12:35 PM
Ya I'm still trying to improve my boarding skills lol I still consider myself beginner.

What about sunshine? Does it have a gondola? I just bought the Sunshine/Marmot pass that gets me 1st / 4th / 7th runs free :D

BTW - OP - sorry for hijacking... but this is sorta relevant

asp integra
11-27-2013, 12:47 PM
i get a louise pass, great mountain and there is something for everyone. that being said Fernie is a great place to ride, the town is only a few mins away from the hill and has great night life!

sabad66
11-27-2013, 02:02 PM
I prefer Louise over Sunshine... to many flat parts at Sunshine so mediocre boarders like me end up walking a lot :rofl:

dubhead
11-27-2013, 02:53 PM
I have a Louise pass but I've always been a Louise guy.With Fernie being closer than Louise I might have a tough time choosing however would choose Fernie of Sunshine any day. The only draw back to Fernie is when it rains it can totally fuck the hill untill the next snowfall. Also the hostel in Banff really aren't that cheap pretty sure the ones in Fernie are more reasonably priced plus the night life in Fernie is way more laid back and fun than Banff's,

dsilvia89
11-27-2013, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by '93 SR-V
Fernie is a geat hill for powder... They get huge dumps compared to Louise/sunshine. It probably doesn't have as good of a selection of easy runs compared to Louise but falling in powder doesn't hurt so you can push yourself a little more if you want. The downsides of the hill are the length of the season (shortest of the three you mentioned) and the rain in the spring. The town itself is fun at night/ a real ski town. Back in high school my friends and I used to hit up the raging elk for a cheap place to stay (it's a hostel but you can get a private room w/ your own bathroom on the cheap).

Louise has a good selection of runs for somebody getting back into things. I find it icy at times but its quite scenic on a clear day. The town itself doesn't offer much so i imagine you would still find yourself staying in banff.

Sunshine has been my go to for the last few years. They don't make as much snow as Louise so I find its not as icy. It has a decent selection of green/blue runs and a solid 6 month season. It's closer to banff vs Louise and you can get some decent deals on the hotel with your season pass, especially when you go mid week and/or low times... It's a nice way to skip the drive at the end of the day and get first tracks the next morning. One thing snowboarders complain about is the flat spots... There are a few places you need to keep your speed up if you want to avoid walking out of!

Yeah from what ive found, it seems like fernie is going to best. Boarding, night life, and cheap hostels. Being a single guy, going on my own those are the 3 that are pulling me there.

Ya I'm still trying to improve my boarding skills lol I still consider myself beginner.

What about sunshine? Does it have a gondola? I just bought the Sunshine/Marmot pass that gets me 1st / 4th / 7th runs free

BTW - OP - sorry for hijacking... but this is sorta relevant

No sweat dude. Good info to know anyway!

i get a louise pass, great mountain and there is something for everyone. that being said Fernie is a great place to ride, the town is only a few mins away from the hill and has great night life!

Anyone know if the nightlife is clique-e? haha. Being a small town? Although I assume a lot of tourists there, so not likely.

I have a Louise pass but I've always been a Louise guy.With Fernie being closer than Louise I might have a tough time choosing however would choose Fernie of Sunshine any day. The only draw back to Fernie is when it rains it can totally fuck the hill untill the next snowfall. Also the hostel in Banff really aren't that cheap pretty sure the ones in Fernie are more reasonably priced plus the night life in Fernie is way more laid back and fun than Banff's,

Louise really isn't on my radar anymore. Its down to sunshine or fernie, although I am likely pulling the trigger on fernie!!

Crazyjoker77
11-28-2013, 09:20 AM
I'm in the hat and have been skiing+snowboarding for years. I'm a pretty big fan of sunshine personally but its definatly a hill that favors a pair of skis due to all the flat spots and is a bit more higher speed of a hill for most of the blues but the runs are longer and there are quite a few more. The ski out at the end is always a blast.

Fernie is really nice because it usually has nicer weather. Has fairly good priced condos right on the hill and like everyone else said the night life in fernie is much better if you plan on doing something after hitting the slopes.

Another good option since your in the hat is to take a trip down to whitefish. Its only 500km so about the same distance as the other hills. Hotels, food, and gas all cost less in the U.S. and the night skiing I did there was an absolute blast.

I've been to lake louis lots but never really had a good expierence there its always been very icy or crap weather conditions and at least with sunshine you can go to another mountain and chances are the weather there can be significantly different.

Feruk
11-28-2013, 12:48 PM
I don't understand the fascination with Sunshine. Most of the runs at the top are BORING. The stuff half way up (I forget the name, been a couple years) has little tree cover and becomes an ice rink. While I'll agree that Louise gets a little boring compared to stuff further out, it's still leaps and bounds above Sunshine.

ercchry
11-28-2013, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Feruk
I don't understand the fascination with Sunshine. Most of the runs at the top are BORING. The stuff half way up (I forget the name, been a couple years) has little tree cover and becomes an ice rink. While I'll agree that Louise gets a little boring compared to stuff further out, it's still leaps and bounds above Sunshine.

secret areas ftw ;)

i find it hard to justify the extra hour+ in the car for a trip to louise... especially early season

mazdavirgin
12-02-2013, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Feruk

Sunshine should never be called icy. Windswept? Possibly but it is never "icy" versus lots of stuff at Louise is actually icy. It has to do with the elevation stuff simply doesn't really melt at Sunshine. Lake louise with no recent snow turns into a ice sheet on the lower parts. Sunshine has consistently better snow especially during dry spells.

That's a lack of practice more than anything. Just keep at it and eventually you won't have that problem. Haven't had a stomp pad on any of my boards...

avishal26
12-02-2013, 05:50 PM
I was just at Sunshine yesterday - I get what everyone means now by a lot of flat spots.... although I wouldn't say a lot - maybe a couple on the green runs.

It was fun seeing as how it was my second time boarding in 2 years now, and it started snowing lightly right after I got there... but the bottom half of the hill (when I decided to board all the way down to the parking lot) was icy and bare in some spots... Should be a lot better after the snowfall we're getting today and tomorrow.

The top runs (Jack Rabbit was one of them I think) seemed like fun from the bottom anyway... boarders were coming down with lots of speed - I was too chicken to take the chair up :D and my wife was tired so I didn't even have to make excuses to not get on the chair lol

Will try out Lake Louise next weekend I think and see how they compare for myself.

asp integra
12-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

secret areas ftw ;)

i find it hard to justify the extra hour+ in the car for a trip to louise... especially early season

I always thought about that too, but after timing both it takes longer to get to actually ski at sunshine than it does at louise. After you drive up the little 2 lane road for a while and then take a 20 min gondola to the base. With louise its only 20-25 mins past shine turn off. At the end of the day ski out is nice and takes away some of that time but in the end it ends up being very close

ercchry
12-02-2013, 06:22 PM
But i like the gondola... can have a beer to fix my hangover, plenty of time to get my boots laced, etc, etc

heavyfuel
12-02-2013, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr150/2500calgary/DEagree_zps09b8a0c0.jpg (http://s478.photobucket.com/user/2500calgary/media/DEagree_zps09b8a0c0.jpg.html)

dubhead
12-03-2013, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by asp integra

I always thought about that too, but after timing both it takes longer to get to actually ski at sunshine than it does at louise. After you drive up the little 2 lane road for a while and then take a 20 min gondola to the base. With louise its only 20-25 mins past shine turn off. At the end of the day ski out is nice and takes away some of that time but in the end it ends up being very close

:werd:

dsilvia89
12-15-2013, 07:39 PM
Checked out sunshine last weekend, had a good time. It was good, pretty chilly on the lifts. Gondola is definitely a plus...lets just say it was a good time. Headed up to Fernie this up coming weekend Dec 21st. After that I'll make up a decision on where days off will be spent. Thanks for all the great input everyone :poosie: