PDA

View Full Version : Starting as an electrician

max403
11-26-2013, 12:28 AM
Hello,

I am both new to Calgary and to the trade industry. To be honest I have spent years slaving away at menial jobs with little future prospect, low pay, and little to no satisfaction with the work conducted in these positions. I realized that trades are the way to go today for so many reasons so I am now ready to work an honest job that I can be proud of and one day have my red seal journeyperson certificate. After much research the trade I wish to follow is the electrician apprenticeship. Unfortunately I have no direct working experience in the role but am highly eager to learn from the bottom and work my way up. Being that I am not from here I have no clue where to look for local company willing to take on someone with no work experience and help them become a registered apprentice. Any help would be highly appreciated!

GenericUsername
11-27-2013, 09:04 PM
You'll need google maps, a stack of resumes and a way to get around.

max403
11-28-2013, 03:23 AM
That is for sure. I'm trying to round it down to maybe a half dozen companies to start off with. New to the city so I haven't bought a car as of yet so relying on public transit which is gonna make it really hard getting to all these places :s. Any idea who may be hiring new recruits at this time? Or a generally good company to work for?

HuMz
11-28-2013, 06:53 AM
It's going to come down to luck, just apply in person to them all. There is a pre employment program through sait but I would recommend dropping off resumes instead.

revelations
11-28-2013, 11:24 AM
Not to be a wet blanket, but if youre over 35 and have a list of menial jobs on your resume 10+ pages long - its going to a long road ahead to try to prove to a potential company that your worth their time.

Sure you can start at the bottom of most, pulling cable through concrete or something, but dont be surprised if it takes a few years to get noticed.

Either way, good on you for taking action. :thumbsup:

InRich
11-28-2013, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by GenericUsername
You'll need google maps, a stack of resumes and a way to get around.

Thats the losers way to go...

My recommendation is to start off on your own, and work your own jobs for people. if your good, your name will get around FAST, and you'll be set.

I had a guy, come out of as a fresh new electrician do my basement... back then he had nothing, today, just a year half later hes booking 1 month in advance, I cant even get him to come back to do some bedroom stuff I want done cause hes so busy...

Worse case scenario, you go work out in fort mac, making 100k++ 2 weeks on, 1 week off, where u get to do your own jobs on the side for people...

Also, wouldnt hurt to call all the reno companies in calgary for that 1 week off, and see if they need an electrician for their reno projects on the go, or in the future. its that easy...

But I would discourage working for someone else on salary basis.

GTS4tw
11-28-2013, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by InRich

My recommendation is to start off on your own, and work your own jobs for people. if your good, your name will get around FAST, and you'll be set.

I had a guy, come out of as a fresh new electrician do my basement... back then he had nothing, today, just a year half later hes booking 1 month in advance, I cant even get him to come back to do some bedroom stuff I want done cause hes so busy...

Worse case scenario, you go work out in fort mac, making 100k++ 2 weeks on, 1 week off, where u get to do your own jobs on the side for people...

Also, wouldnt hurt to call all the reno companies in calgary for that 1 week off, and see if they need an electrician for their reno projects on the go, or in the future. its that easy...

You can't just become an electrician, and take on your own jobs...:rofl: :banghead:

revelations
11-28-2013, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by GTS4tw

You can't just become an electrician, and take on your own jobs...:rofl: :banghead:

Let me give you a tour of the new home construction in the NE .... :nut:

max403
11-28-2013, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by revelations
Not to be a wet blanket, but if youre over 35 and have a list of menial jobs on your resume 10+ pages long - its going to a long road ahead to try to prove to a potential company that your worth their time.

Sure you can start at the bottom of most, pulling cable through concrete or something, but dont be surprised if it takes a few years to get noticed.

Either way, good on you for taking action. :thumbsup:

Thanks! Luckily I'm not quite that old yet though. I'm 27 and in great shape so I think I would have a fair bit of potential to an employer.

I'm getting bad luck though, of the places I checked out 2 of them that are in the market for new apprentices just took on new recruits 2 weeks ago :thumbsdow

leftwing
11-28-2013, 04:41 PM
You could try Trotter and Morton, they called me about a month ago to see if I was still interested in becoming an apprentice with them.

max403
11-28-2013, 04:54 PM

Whoa! You let a guy with no experience do the wiring in your home? No offence to the guy, I'm sure he did a good job if he is getting so many bookings now but I'm not sure if people would hire me with just the program from sait. To be honest the route I want to go is to be a journeyman anyways so Id have to work with a company under a journeyman so working on my own wont be an option till at least 4 years time. Well, from whenever I actually start :s.

Fort Mac is something I would be up for though, not a fan of the place but I would definitely not have to worry about getting my hours lol. Any idea of good eletrical companies that operate in the oil sands?

Thanks for the info though, appreciate it :thumbsup:

max403
11-28-2013, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by leftwing
You could try Trotter and Morton, they called me about a month ago to see if I was still interested in becoming an apprentice with them.

Speak of the devil, that was one of the companies that I spoke to 2 weeks too late :s. Thanks though!

rx7_turbo2
11-28-2013, 05:02 PM

I can't tell if this post was serious? Maybe my sarcasm detector is broken?

In order to become a Journeyman Electrician you're looking at roughly a combined 4 years of on the job and institutional training. Once someone holds a J.man ticket, yes there are many opportunity for self employment, especially in Calgary, and if your willing to do reno's. But that's not what the OP asked, he needs someone to indenture him first.

I think most employers don't put a whole lot of value in the pre-employment programs offered. It's been said before, the OP's best bet is to continue to knock on doors and hand out resume's. Eventually you'll get someone that will bite.

chathamf
11-28-2013, 07:52 PM
Check PM.

msommers
11-29-2013, 12:16 AM
Fire out as many resumes as you can. If you have to start residential then so be it but from everyone I know who has done it, it's not really favoured. Commercial seems to be the happy medium between pay, living at home and type of work. Industrial pays the best but you're out of town and likely pulling cable in -30 (trust me I know). Then having a heat gun going hung over a junction box because you have to use your bare hands...man good times!

Unrelated, I would stress buying quality tools the first time. This was a lesson a J-man gave me on day 1 and I never had to replace a tool unless I lost it. And running back to Crappy Tire, even if it is a free replacement, would be a giant pain considering how garbage so many of their tools are it would be often. Sockets sets are probably the only thing worth looking at there.

Don't think I have to say this but I'll do it anyways. Do not for the love of God start your own business without any experience. I suspect there are major legal implications as well if something were to happen to someone's house, ie: fire.

max403
11-29-2013, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Fire out as many resumes as you can. If you have to start residential then so be it but from everyone I know who has done it, it's not really favoured. Commercial seems to be the happy medium between pay, living at home and type of work. Industrial pays the best but you're out of town and likely pulling cable in -30 (trust me I know). Then having a heat gun going hung over a junction box because you have to use your bare hands...man good times!

Unrelated, I would stress buying quality tools the first time. This was a lesson a J-man gave me on day 1 and I never had to replace a tool unless I lost it. And running back to Crappy Tire, even if it is a free replacement, would be a giant pain considering how garbage so many of their tools are it would be often. Sockets sets are probably the only thing worth looking at there.

Don't think I have to say this but I'll do it anyways. Do not for the love of God start your own business without any experience. I suspect there are major legal implications as well if something were to happen to someone's house, ie: fire.

Haha yeah, it never hurts to say that. Id never start my own business out the gate though, I wouldn't trust my own skills without a ton of experience under my belt to do something like that. Besides I want to be a journeyman so working on my own wont be an option till I do my 4 years worth of work and education.

Good advice on the tools. Will definitely follow your advice on buying good first. Also going to go out and get all my safety tickets pretty soon to help out my chances of getting hired (WHIMIS, fall arrest, confined space, first aid, etc.)

Still firing out resumes. Do projects and hiring slow down
this time of year in Calgary and Alberta for electricians? Or is it pretty steady year round here?

HuMz
11-29-2013, 03:49 PM
Steady year round, try and get as much residential and commercial experience as you can during your apprentership. For industrial I would recommend joining the ibew 424, that is where the money is and there are periods they get work at home. The job I'm currently on paelectrician roughly 130000 for the year and that's home every night 5 days a week.

max403
11-29-2013, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by HuMz
Steady year round, try and get as much residential and commercial experience as you can during your apprentership. For industrial I would recommend joining the ibew 424, that is where the money is and there are periods they get work at home. The job I'm currently on paelectrician roughly 130000 for the year and that's home every night 5 days a week.

Nice! But in order to join a union I would first have to be a registered apprentice right? They wouldn't take me on and help me find a job that would register me or anything would they?

aquamarine
11-29-2013, 06:46 PM
Looks like some great information. I'm moving to Calgary (From Saskatoon now) in two weeks time and interested in getting into a trade. Personally, I've always liked technology and wired/re-wired home electronics and my parents basement so I'm seriously considering trying to get a job as an electrician as well. We will have to see what happens if anyone's even willing on talking to a 31 year old guy with a B2B marketing background but you never know, could happen.

Good luck to you mate, and good luck to me too. Perhaps I'll see you around too.

HuMz
11-29-2013, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by max403

Nice! But in order to join a union I would first have to be a registered apprentice right? They wouldn't take me on and help me find a job that would register me or anything would they?

Correct, you would have to be fully registered and indentured. Because all of the union work is industrial, your better off starting you first couple years doing residential and commercial.

During your apprenticeship I wouldn't worry about being too loyal for the full 4 years if your not getting a good range of experience. Alot of these bigger commercial jobs become extremely repetitive which will hurt you in the long run.

Try and get 6 months doing houses and the rest doing commercial with a bit of industrial.

GenericUsername
12-01-2013, 01:47 AM

You'll also need a sense of humor to deflect this shit lol

Maxt
12-01-2013, 10:12 AM

I cant even get him to come back to do some bedroom stuff I want done cause hes so busy...

That's probably not the real reason he won't come back.

MGCM
02-20-2014, 03:33 PM
thread bump, I am currently in the same situation as the OP having a hard time finding a company to hire me green. Im not entirely green tho, I have everything for safety gear/tools minus a drill and tool belt. I worked a saturday/sunday with a friend on a side job he had for a residential place. I hung light fixtures/smokies and put plate covers on so I got an ok feel for it and decided I did want to proceed in this field. I've applied to tons of kijiji ad's and have taken a small stack of resumes to a few choice companies I was told had lots of residential work. So far Im not getting any call backs. Im 28 years old, Ive got lots of various experience in many industries, including sheet metal fabrication, so Im not new to using tools either. I want to start working towards a career and not just another job that pays the bills. I volunteer my time when possible to various auto racing clubs in Alberta(CSCC, SASC), and I even have 1 year of collage courses. I never mind working overtime and I work hard............why am I struggling to find a job as an entry level electrician? I have a good cover letter and resume which highlight my various experience and that I have tools/safety gear.

Help me beyond, I need to get goin into this career path:burnout:

chathamf
02-20-2014, 04:37 PM
It's kind of quiet right now being winter and all. A lot of companies are laying off experienced guys, so other companies are obviously going to snatch up the guys with experience rather then take a green hand. I got laid off myself last month, and I've noticed way fewer ads online looking for guys right now. Things will start to pick up in the spring/summer.

Just make sure in your e-mails you really express that you are serious about the trade, and want to make a career out of it. I got hired on last February with no experience, and I know quite a few other guys that managed to get jobs with going to SAIT first. Just keep trying man something will come up.

revelations
02-20-2014, 06:41 PM
MGCM - send me a PM with your linkedIN profile (or another online resume). I know of a commercial electricianw who could use some part time help - at least its something.

Alternately, I have had great luck with indeed and wowjobs websites.

AudiPWR
02-20-2014, 07:09 PM
I can get you a job at trotter and Morton. PM me your email, I'll email you Monday with details.

nonofyobiz
02-20-2014, 07:36 PM
you guys can check out Enerflex. I know they are hiring a number of trades and looks like it's going to start getting crazy busy here. I know the sparkies at our shop have barely had a day off in the last month and a half.

Worth a shot. go in with a good resume, killer attitiude and be enthusiastic and you just might get in.

khate316
02-21-2014, 07:38 PM
@AudiPWR

I am at the exact same position as the OP and MGCM. Your help would be highly appreciated.Please check your message box.

legendboy
02-21-2014, 09:28 PM
I would try and get into a more controls oriented company building panels or doing grunt work at someplace like Scott Springfield

colinderksen
02-24-2014, 08:47 PM
Some industrial companies to look in to.

Techmation
Pronghorn Controls
Tarpon
Pyramid

Could also look into sub tech or lineman

GenericUsername
02-24-2014, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
I would try and get into a more controls oriented company building panels or doing grunt work at someplace like Scott Springfield

What is the starting pay on a job like that?

legendboy
02-25-2014, 10:51 AM
No idea dude probably above average? At least your working inside and learning more than just commercial/residential electrical. Controls/plc/vfd experience is what I would be after

Perfect Dark
02-25-2014, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
No idea dude probably above average? At least your working inside and learning more than just commercial/residential electrical. Controls/plc/vfd experience is what I would be after

This man speaks the truth, the more controls knowledge you have the faster you'll get to work on PLC's and drives.

Guys with experience in all 3 can go pretty much anywhere they want and find work.

Racoonfighter
03-12-2014, 06:19 PM
You know the worst thing about being an electrician?

Telling your parents your gay

Just joking Controls and instrumentation is the best thing about the possibilities of things you can do after having experience and were you want to be.

AudiPWR
03-24-2014, 11:44 AM
PM ME. I need green sparkes.

Got MGCM lined up already, will help others.

calgary2014
04-08-2014, 04:03 PM
Hello, I am 20 years old, hard working reliable and motivated, I am trying to get into the electrician trade, but everywhere I have tried to apply they are only hiring 2nd year or more. If anyone knows any place I can start, I don't mind doing general labour or unpaid work until I prove myself.
I have tried going to the youth employment for trades, and they said it could take weeks or months, so I am crossing my fingers they can find me a starting position, meanwhile I am going to keep trying to apply on my own.

I was also wondering if anyone recommends taking the pre employment program at SAIT?

chathamf
04-08-2014, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by calgary2014
Hello, I am 20 years old, hard working reliable and motivated, I am trying to get into the electrician trade, but everywhere I have tried to apply they are only hiring 2nd year or more. If anyone knows any place I can start, I don't mind doing general labour or unpaid work until I prove myself.
I have tried going to the youth employment for trades, and they said it could take weeks or months, so I am crossing my fingers they can find me a starting position, meanwhile I am going to keep trying to apply on my own.

I was also wondering if anyone recommends taking the pre employment program at SAIT?

I managed to get hired with no experience as a first year, but it can be a battle for some people. I know lots of guys that get hired after taking the pre employment, so it is worthwhile. And as soon as you get your 1500 hours you become a second year without going to school. I'd keep trying to get on with someone though as the pre-employment is kind of expensive.

Try Alcon Electric. I worked for them for a bit. They hire lots of guys with no experience. I no longer work with them though so not sure if they are busy or not.

SecondReversal
04-08-2014, 09:23 PM
Custom Electric is kind of hit and miss for job quality, but I know for a fact that they're hard up for guys right now. If you've got any kind of related experience with electrical or lighting I would imagine you'd be a cinch for an apprenticeship slot - If not, well, write a decent cover letter and make sure to shave before you go down :D

I'm working first period for Crestview Electric, and I know that we just hired about eight guys in the last month or so for some new projects, a couple of whom were just two weeks ago - Would also be worth a shot. CVE is pretty much all commercial work - warehouses and hotels and such, not so much wood structure.

Graham_A_M
04-08-2014, 09:53 PM
My company is in desperate need of electrical tech's, we build lighting/power systems for the oil patch, and Im really in need of a few good people, please PM me if you're a good (smart) hard worker.

chathamf
04-09-2014, 08:35 AM
Also if you are real serious it could help to go out and buy a set of tools. Include that in yout cover letter and it will immediately show initiative and that you are serious about the trade. Feel free to PM me for questions about what you should have to get started.

calgary2014
04-09-2014, 12:20 PM
Do you guys have any recommendations for applying in person? any best times to go and should I ask to speak with someone in particular or just hand in my resume?

thanks

chathamf
04-09-2014, 12:48 PM
Id say you could just hand it in to whomever works the front desk. If the person who does hiring is around and free they may let you talk to them. Can't hurt anyways. Apply everywhere, show some initiative and someone will take you on.

Its a good time of the year to get some resi experience.

GTS4tw
04-09-2014, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by chathamf
Id say you could just hand it in to whomever works the front desk. If the person who does hiring is around and free they may let you talk to them. Can't hurt anyways. Apply everywhere, show some initiative and someone will take you on.

Its a good time of the year to get some resi experience.

I disagree with leaving a resume at the front desk entirely. I find with most trades a good place to start is material suppliers, so in this case electrical supply stores. Look for guys who are picking up orders and have accounts. If you go to an office then do not give your resume to the front desk, ask to speak to a project manager/foreman/supervisor if no one is there then ask what time they might be around and come back. If they ask for you to leave the resume let them know that you would rather speak to them face to face, actually go back when you say you will. Get in front of the actual person doing the hiring or you will just end up in a pile with the other similar resumes.

Also, write a personalized cover letter that shows your enthusiasm and interest, and research the type of work that the company does so that you can reference it in the letter.

Do this and you will win.

Graham_A_M
04-09-2014, 06:10 PM
^ Exactly, this. OR what I usually do is ask to see who would be the person to do the hiring, or the shop foreman (etc.) Once I get their name, I'll usually do a follow up phone call a few days later, to ask if they'd have the time to review my resume. That shows a lot of interest and initiative, and if my resume' was in fact placed in a random pile of other ones, they'll typically dig it out to go over it, since its me thats on the line with them, showing interest.
After the interview I usually do this as well, to see if there is anything else they'd like to ask or discuss.

Most times this works quite well. I also really agree on finding out what tools you'll need and buying them before hand. That way it shows you're able to work independently, and not always having to ask to borrow what ever tools you'll be needing. Dont get me wrong, this isn't exactly easy before hand as some of the tools can be EXTREMELY expensive (some of the crimpers we use are $400 each). But buy as much as you can, or at least all the valuable commonly used tools.
What my old boss used to do, is that if he ever had to ask to borrow a tool, after work that day he'd go out and buy that exact tool for the next day. He'd just do that until he had all the tools he'd need.

legendboy
04-11-2014, 10:50 PM
the only thing I can add is it would be good idea to have a basic understanding of ac/dc electricity, analog and digital circuits. this would probably guarantee you at least getting taken seriously

if you knew ladder logic you could probably skip a few pay levels :dunno: