PDA

View Full Version : U.S.A can't walk your kids from school

cancer man
11-27-2013, 08:57 AM
http://grist.org/list/dad-arrested-after-trying-to-pick-kids-up-from-school-on-foot-instead-of-in-a-car/

Just when you thought things could'nt get stupider.
I would've freaked out.
But then again your kids do belong to Goverment.
Arash i'am sure you can back this up.

speedog
11-27-2013, 09:17 AM
Not a big deal in Calgary - just drive near any school (especially elementary) and you'll see multitudes of helicopter parents picking up/dropping off their precious ones. It's bedlam in the mornings/afternoons what with traffic jams/illegal parking and better yet, our school taxes go towards providing required busing for many of these driven students resulting in so many under-utilized buses driving around.

I don't understand why kids can't walk or take the bus to/from school - don't use the old "my kids are so busy bullshit" because kids/families have always been busy. I applaud this guy for stepping outside of the norm - what's unfortunate is the norm has become that skewed.

So in closing, how many of you Beyond parents with school aged kids drive your kids to/from school when they can either walk or take supplied busing and why?

taemo
11-27-2013, 09:23 AM
i don't understand the article well

was his car parked on the highway, just like what all the other parents are supposed to do but instead of waiting in the car he walked to pick up his kid

or did he walk from home to school to pick up his kid?

sputnik
11-27-2013, 09:27 AM
In my old area (Auburn Bay) there would be no less than 20 SUVs idling near the bus stop with their kids inside.

It wasn't like it was -40C either. It was the beginning of September.

Tik-Tok
11-27-2013, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by taemo
i don't understand the article well

was his car parked on the highway, just like what all the other parents are supposed to do but instead of waiting in the car he walked to pick up his kid

Sounds like he was parked in line with the rest of the parents, didn't want to wait his turn, so got out and walked to the school to skip the line?

Either way, nothing arrest worthy.

rage2
11-27-2013, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by speedog
So in closing, how many of you Beyond parents with school aged kids drive your kids to/from school when they can either walk or take supplied busing and why?
My gf drives him to the bus stop. It's in Ranchlands, and we're in Arbour Lake.

Kids love the school bus. 30 mins of Pokemon time each way haha.

spikerS
11-27-2013, 10:13 AM

Our 8 year old walks to and from school on her own, and crosses a somewhat busy street in front of the school. Occasionally we will go and meet her after school and walk home with her, but that is the exception.

G
11-27-2013, 10:20 AM

We live too close to bus but a little too far to walk for a kindergarten kid. I can't expect my MIL to walk in the winter with him so she drives him. Also, if you know any typical 5 year old kid you will know it will take 60 minutes to walk 20 because he will find something interesting every few steps. The nanny does walk him in the summer on the days the younger brother is up.

Seth1968
11-27-2013, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by G
Also, if you know any typical 5 year old kid you will know it will take 60 minutes to walk 20 because he will find something interesting every few steps.

Lol. So true.

Ahh to be a kid again and find everything interesting. That is before you become an adult and the weight of the world crushes your spirit:)

G
11-27-2013, 10:32 AM
What pisses me off are the idiot parents who u turn in a school zone so their precious doesn't need to cross the street. Any the idiot parents who jay walk with their kids so save a few steps.

speedog
11-27-2013, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by rage2
My gf drives him to the bus stop. It's in Ranchlands, and we're in Arbour Lake.

Kids love the school bus. 30 mins of Pokemon time each way haha.
Seems odd the school system would have a school bus stop in Ranchlands for kids living in Arbour Lake - only thing I can think is that the bus stop's 800 meter coverage area includes parts of Arbour Lake although that would only apply to a small area of houses to the immediate north side of the Crowfoot shopping compex. All other Arbour Lake homes appear to be more than 800 meters from Ranchlands (assuming K-6 aged kids here).

G
11-27-2013, 10:36 AM

Seems odd the school system would have a school bus stop in Ranchlands for kids living in Arbour Lake - only thing I can think is that the bus stop's 800 meter coverage area includes parts of Arbour Lake although that would only apply to a small area of houses to the immediate north side of the Crowfoot shopping compex. All other Arbour Lake homes appear to be more than 800 meters from Ranchlands (assuming K-6 aged kids here).

You think that is odd...

Area IV Accommodation Challenges
West Springs and Wildwood Schools
Dear Parents:
The Calgary Board of Education (CBE) monitors enrolment at all CBE schools. Currently both West Springs and Wildwood Schools are projected to be over capacity for 2014. When looking for possible solutions to these accommodation challenges, three schools in Area IV were identified as having space to accommodation additional students: Glendale School, Jennie Elliott School and Rosscarrock School.
On November 14th, parent representatives from six schools met to learn about the issues and discuss potential solutions. From the working groups at the parent representative meeting, five scenarios were developed.
Scenario 1
West Springs School: Change grade configuration to K-4 and designate GR 5-6 students to Rosscarrock School.
Wildwood School: Re-designate Aspen Woods (West of 85th Street) to Jennie Elliott School and re-designate Olympic Heights overflow to Glendale School.
Scenario 2
West Springs School: Remain K-6 and Cap enrolment. Overflow K-6 students to Rosscarrock School.
Wildwood School: Re-designate Cougar Ridge students to Rosscarrock School.
Scenario 3
West Springs School: Remain K-6 and Cap enrolment. Overflow K-6 students to Rosscarrock School.
Wildwood School: Re-designate Spruce Cliff and Westgate students to Rosscarrock School for Regular program.
Scenario 4
West Springs School: Change grade configuration to K-4 and designate GR 5-6 students to Rosscarrock School.
Wildwood School: Re-designate Aspen Woods (West of 85th Street) and Olympic Heights overflow to Jennie Elliott School.
Scenario 5
Wildwood School: Re-designate Cougar Ridge students to Jennie Elliott School.
*Note: Olympic Heights School currently overflows students to Wildwood School and is therefore included in some of the potential scenarios.

If you live in Aspen you might need to drive your kid to Lakeview.

rage2
11-27-2013, 10:43 AM
He doesn't go to the normally designated school. He goes to the Science School (Langevin).

speedog
11-27-2013, 11:01 AM
More to this story - link (http://www.crossville-chronicle.com/local/x202286673/Traffic-changes-made-at-South). So, so messed up.

speedog
11-27-2013, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by G
If you live in Aspen you might need to drive your kid to Lakeview.

Probably not - busing would/should be provided.

The question is whether or not the Aspen parents with kids designated to Lakeview would put their kids on the bus or would they drive them to Lakeview or better yet, drive them to the bus stop in Aspen?

rage2
11-27-2013, 11:10 AM
He also noted one reason for the high number of students being picked up by private vehicles was many parents did not feel comfortable sending their children by bus, with behavioral issues and foul language children may be exposed to by the wide variety of ages together on the bus.
So true, I saw my first set of real life tits because I took the bus haha. Some grade 9 chick flashed the cars behind us when I was in Grade 7. But that's all part of growing up IMO. Parents are way too overprotective these days.

Masked Bandit
11-27-2013, 11:17 AM
Our kids walk to & from the bus stop down at the end of the street. If the school was close enough to not have to take the bus they would be walking as well. Once in a while if it's quite cold (worse than -20) she drives the kids to the bus stop so they can wait in the warm car but that's it.

Disoblige
11-27-2013, 11:18 AM
I took the bus to school and back home by myself since grade 4 until I could drive when I was 16. Never really had a problem haha. But now that I think about it, I don't think I'd let my 8-9 year old take the bus by himself :rofl:

Builds character for sure, I think.

blitz
11-27-2013, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by spikers

Our 8 year old walks to and from school on her own, and crosses a somewhat busy street in front of the school. Occasionally we will go and meet her after school and walk home with her, but that is the exception.

Ya, but she seems to be smarter than most adults I know.

codetrap
11-27-2013, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by blitz
Ya, but she seems to be smarter than most adults I know. LOL.. ain't that the truth.. including Spikers! hehehe

speedog
11-27-2013, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
I took the bus to school and back home by myself since grade 4 until I could drive when I was 16. Never really had a problem haha. But now that I think about it, I don't think I'd let my 8-9 year old take the bus by himself.

So what is different about this 8-9 year old that he couldn't take the bus by himself? Is it him or the world he has to exist in or is it the parents?

sexualbanana
11-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
I took the bus to school and back home by myself since grade 4 until I could drive when I was 16. Never really had a problem haha. But now that I think about it, I don't think I'd let my 8-9 year old take the bus by himself :rofl:

I've been taking transit by myself since I was 10. Never seemed like a big deal to me, but now that I look back I think about all the shit that could've gone wrong and I realize that I dodged some serious bullets.

rage2
11-27-2013, 12:23 PM
We didn't have school busses back in the day. We got bus passes and took city bus since I was 7 years old. I think I made my first trip downtown to the arcade by age 9 haha.

G
11-27-2013, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

I've been taking transit by myself since I was 10. Never seemed like a big deal to me, but now that I look back I think about all the shit that could've gone wrong and I realize that I dodged some serious bullets.

Don't you live in Ogden?

DustanS
11-27-2013, 12:50 PM

sexualbanana
11-27-2013, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by G

Don't you live in Ogden?

yup. does that make me gangster?

Arash Boodagh
11-27-2013, 03:44 PM
In our laws the government owns everything, you, me, our children, our cars, every house, ect...

Just last week I ran into this Calgary article where a mother decided to heal her sick child naturally rather then take him to the hospital.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/mother-to-face-criminal-charges-in-son-s-strep-death-1.2436945
Unfortunately the kid died from a strep infection and to make matters worse, the mother is going to go to jail for it.
Im sure this is a rare case but I cant blame the mother because hospitals and doctors serve a higher power of the might dollar then to make people well... whether they know it or not.
If its not the toxic substances that are prescribed, its the lack of sterilized facilities and equipment or unnecessary operations which puts this industry the 3rd highest killer of Canadians after heart disease and cancer.

That was an extreme case but of the countries in the world and other provinces, Alberta has a high confiscation of children from parents... and as the lady in this video states... these abductions are to serve share holders (the Crown/NWO) as children and people are commodities.
DophGYH2G-k
Each one us will create money for the system when we work and pay taxes for most of our lives. The government feels its institutional methods will keep this order but Im sure it creates more social problems for children growing up without their parents.

Next their going to jail people for choosing your own cancer treatments, denying vaccinations, and home schooling your own children.

As for this school incident, the government will play its odds if peoples children are kidnapped by some child predator... it'll just be another statistic and to add more police to the area as if it will solve anything.

edit - other videos http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2012/12/10/277296/parents-dispute-removal-of-aussie-aboriginal-children/
http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2013/03/14/293515/canada-government-accused-of-discrimination-against-aboriginal-children/
^ this is to socially break up the indigenous who have legitimate claims to Canadian land.

JRSC00LUDE
11-27-2013, 04:20 PM
^ I can't quote idiot-pants because he's on ignore but I assume it says something like "blah, blah, government, blah, blah, NWO, blah, blah, blah, I have no job, blah, blah, blah, it's hard to contribute frequently as I can't always find free wifi, blah, blah blah, I do nothing to contribute to society, blah, blah but I love to whine about how horrible it is.".

Close?

Arash Boodagh
11-27-2013, 04:25 PM
Dont lie burger face, we know you secretly read all the comments on the forums. :)

rage2
11-27-2013, 04:26 PM
Nailed the government and NWO haha.

JRSC00LUDE
11-27-2013, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Nailed the government and NWO haha.

I forgot, he's the only one not aware of the other comments....

G
11-27-2013, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

yup. does that make me gangster?

Nope but I assumed Ogden is rough since you are dodge some serious bullets. If you resemble your bro you guys look nothing like gangsters just normal down to earth people.

revelations
11-27-2013, 07:09 PM
Tennessee, isnt that the place where the average IQ is the same as many vegetables? Why do we need to read about stupid people doing stupid things there :dunno:

I'd rather be concerned about parents speeding and pulling illegal uturns through local school zones myself....

firebane
11-27-2013, 07:17 PM
So many kids are spoiled and spoon fed by their parents these days.

When I was going to school my day started at 6am to do chores (feed chickens, cows, pigs etc) then have breakfast around 6:30 and make sure my lunch was packed and my homework was collected. I then left the house at 7:00am to WALK to the bus stop which took 30-35 minutes depending on the day. The bus picked us up around 7:40-7:45 depending on the day and the bussed to school and dropped off by 8:15-8:20 at the latest.

After school was the opposite of things. Get off the bus at 4:15-4:30 and walk home (uphill) and get home around 5:00. You would have a snack, go outside do your chores, have dinner, do your homework and watch about 1 hour of tv before being in bed at 9:30.

This walk I did everyday was just over 2.5km and was wilderness both ways and the only time I ever got a ride home was if our neighbors were coming home at the same or it was blizzarding cold or pissing rain.

And when I was younger I've always walked to school or rode my bike and it was usually a 15-20 minute walk or more.

I know times have changed and that we have to be cautious more of people. But teach your kids the right things and they'll be ok.

cancer man
12-04-2013, 06:41 AM
Funny because it's probable true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCtnrNLuWwo