PDA

View Full Version : Work environment preference

woodywoodford
11-27-2013, 12:05 PM
Let's say you're faced with two job choices:

1) Great environment, beers at lunch perfectly fine, make your own hours as long as you get your shit done, decent money but nothing to brag about, enjoyable work and love the culture, bosses are top notch, but ultimately not very correlated with your interests and therefore not really sure what your path within the company would be.

2) Much faster pace in the workplace, in the office BY 5am every day, consistently work 14+hr days and some weekends, but perfectly aligned with your interests, fantastic exit ops, potential for 7 figure income and the prestige to go with it (and hypothetical you is very much financially motivated)

Which would you take, assuming hypothetical you is late 20's, single, and loves their chill time as much as the next guy?

BananaFob
11-27-2013, 12:11 PM
I went from 1 to 2 and have never looked back. I'm lucky because after a while, the pace at my current workplace has dropped off slightly even though I've assumed more responsibilities so I still get some chill time. While I miss the people and culture at 1 sometimes, making exponentially more money definitely makes things better.

flipstah
11-27-2013, 12:20 PM
I like to be challenged, knowing that I have a future within the company.

I'd choose 2.

However, that will wear out quite thin and you'll hit a point in time where you'll go from 2 to 1 but that won't happen till your late 30's or something.

Kloubek
11-27-2013, 12:22 PM
#1 gets old.

The thing is, once you get into #2, you can always slide back to #1 in the future when your life demands it. This is the time when the 7-figure income can be really useful for getting ahead in life. And without family or physical (getting old) constraints, that would be my choice.

But really, it's up to you. Some people strive for #1 and are very content with it. Guess it just depends how much money and a "successful" career is worth to you.

Nast
11-27-2013, 12:39 PM
I would tend to agree with the other comments here. I'm in the same situation, no real direction with the company but do pretty much whatever I want. Come in late, leave early, take time off, go for appointments etc. Im also 30 and feel that I should have more work experience than I have now so I am looking for something busier and more opportunity.

The thing is my job pays decently now but I'd rather be busy and have work most of the time instead of a lot of downtime and the opportunity to post here ;)

woodywoodford
11-27-2013, 12:39 PM
Yeah, you're all pretty much reinforcing what I think. I definitely put a lot of value on prestige/success (even if it's only in my eyes) and like to feel important so to speak, and I'll never truly feel any of those sticking with #1.

I completely overlooked the biggest hurdle though- I'm not a morning person AT ALL. I have a hard enough time getting up at 7am yet alone 4am. Though as I write that, I realize that 4 and 7 would probably feel pretty much the same to me... they both suck lol. Pretty sure that answers my doubts.

403ep3
11-27-2013, 12:42 PM
I'd go with #2 because I'm money hungry and I'm still young. Might as well work yourself and then do #1 when you're ready to settle down.

I'm in the process of going from #1 to #2 atm

Nast
11-27-2013, 12:43 PM
Haha thats true. I was the same way but after a while waking up at 5 or 6 almost feels the same as 7 or 8. Lets be honest here, it's almost impossible for someone to work 14+ hours day in day out for months or years at a time. I don't think anyone could possibly keep that up indefinitely...and if someone says they do I assume they're lying.

But ya, it sounds like you want to seize the opportunity...I'm in the same boat and looking at other offers.

Good Luck

flipstah
11-27-2013, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by woodywoodford
Yeah, you're all pretty much reinforcing what I think. I definitely put a lot of value on prestige/success (even if it's only in my eyes) and like to feel important so to speak, and I'll never truly feel any of those sticking with #1.

I completely overlooked the biggest hurdle though- I'm not a morning person AT ALL. I have a hard enough time getting up at 7am yet alone 4am. Though as I write that, I realize that 4 and 7 would probably feel pretty much the same to me... they both suck lol. Pretty sure that answers my doubts.

That's your biggest problem? Just sleep early haha. It'll be a crappy habit but a habit nonetheless.

themack89
11-27-2013, 02:11 PM
So, since I know you're finance, is #1 Research and #2 IB? :rofl:

woodywoodford
11-27-2013, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by themack89
So, since I know you're finance, is #1 Research and #2 IB? :rofl:

Not quite lol. #1 is an industry gig and #2 is research. I never did start the research job I was offered in the summer as that group actually went bankrupt (before I gave notice..thank god)

adamc
12-08-2013, 11:38 PM
NO question in my mind, #2 all day long.

Have beers on the weekend. Just as long as you're at a point where you're mentally prepared to put your nose down and work.

Have you travelled? Travel is something I would get out of the way, even if it's taking off for a few months. You're only young once.

Come back with some new perspective and go kick ass.

Darkane
12-08-2013, 11:48 PM
#2.

The trick is this: being Disciplined enough to know when #1 NEEDS to come back in your life.

Wrinkly
12-09-2013, 02:20 AM
Hmmm - all depends on how you choose to measure "success". Never forget that all we ever really have is right now - time, to do as you wish with, is actually THE most precious thing anyone has....

Ven
12-09-2013, 06:52 AM
I went straight into 2 mostly because my parents are hard core 2's and I felt a ton of pressure to perform, and have a prestigious title and paycheque. And other than the money, I fucking hated everything about it. About 8 years ago I decided to make a plan to be a 1 and try to keep the money of a 2. I'm at that point since 5 years ago and couldn't be happier. My work/life balance is outstanding, as is my income. I never work more than 4 days a week, most of the time 3 days. I feel good.

Lex350
12-09-2013, 07:05 AM
I went from 2 to 1. Money isn't everything. I now have much more flexiblity in my job which means I get to spend more time with my kids....priceless.

sputnik
12-09-2013, 07:53 AM
Being 34 with two kids... I have learned that I would pay anything for more time.

Sugarphreak
12-09-2013, 08:46 AM

Xtrema
12-09-2013, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Darkane
#2.

The trick is this: being Disciplined enough to know when #1 NEEDS to come back in your life.

Agree.

Under 30, #2 without hesitation.

30-40, #2 if your life can afford it (kids and stuff)

Over 40, #1. You have been in #2 mode for so long, you should be able to afford it by then.

Tik-Tok
12-09-2013, 10:27 AM
Sadly I'm #1, and realized years ago, there is no #2 in my industry.

heavyfuel
12-09-2013, 10:36 AM
Option 0 or 3 lol

civic_stylez
12-09-2013, 11:19 AM
I went from #1 to #2 recently and i love it. Its alot and i can definitely see where the members with kids on here can say 1. I would agree with them if i was a parent. I have the drive, energy and motivation to be in a fast paced, intense career now so im taking advantage of it now so I can switch back to #1 in the future.

bitteeinbit
12-09-2013, 12:47 PM
#2.

This. Do it for a few years. But don't let it control your life. Some people do #2, but don;t know when to stop and then never get time for loved ones or family. Their spending has increased significantly and they can't scale back. If they do somehow manage to get a family, it quickly gets torn apart because of the demands of the work environment. Next thing you know, wife is divorcing you, you miss your kid's violin recital and your two-year-old is now 13 and you've barely seen her.

CapnCrunch
12-09-2013, 04:01 PM
#1 when I was 18, then #2 when I grew up, then #1 when I got burnt out.

Probably something in the middle if I could find it.

bspot
12-09-2013, 04:51 PM

There are so many things I can do with my life that I enjoy more than any carreer I could think of.

I'm a work to live guy. Travelling, sports, time outdoors, time with family and friends is all wayyyyy too valuable to me to spend my whole life at work.

A #1 that gives you enough money for those things is all I can ever ask from a job.

max_boost
12-09-2013, 08:20 PM
#2.

The trick is this: being Disciplined enough to know when #1 NEEDS to come back in your life. :clap:

Marsh
12-10-2013, 05:42 PM
Initally out of school i sought #1. It seemed like a good idea, as it carried on with the 'social' aspect that you had during university...after maybe a year or two though i realized its much better to have #2, so thats what Im doing/working towards. To what extent is #2 good? That depends on each person...