PDA

View Full Version : Should Black Friday Be Removed?

MGCM
11-29-2013, 10:56 PM
What does beyond think? Should we just remove Black Friday completely? From elderly ppl getting trampled, employees trampled to death, pregnant women being pushed down and miscarrying their baby on the mall floor, multiple stabbings each year, shootings too.........what good comes of Black Friday????? If its no good.......why do we keep it? If your body has an infection you dont say hey lets keep it awhile and see how bad it gets haha.......no you have it dealt with immediately.........treat black friday like it is, an infection, a disease, and maybe one day the world can be cured of it:dunno:

buh_buh
11-29-2013, 11:04 PM
If people drink and drive on New Years Eve, should we remove that day from the calendar too?

Unknown303
11-29-2013, 11:06 PM
We should remove Halloween.

MGCM
11-29-2013, 11:08 PM
Police Prepare for New Years and Christmas office party season by putting checkstops out there and advocating for cabs and drive you home in your own car companies, what is done for black friday? obviously not enough if the employees opening the doors are being trampled to death

JRSC00LUDE
11-29-2013, 11:08 PM
I love lamp.

Sugarphreak
11-29-2013, 11:09 PM

MGCM
11-29-2013, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303

there is a million times less chaos on Halloween and even New Years eve than there is on black friday

Mixalot27
11-29-2013, 11:11 PM
Have there been any successful lawsuits against the stores where these types of things have happened in the past?

MGCM
11-29-2013, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
We should ban sales... only regular priced items from now on

if certain sales cause ppl to stab each other and shoot each other infront of their own children then those sales should be removed or significantly revised

Tik-Tok
11-29-2013, 11:12 PM

They've already started in schools. :(

Sugarphreak
11-29-2013, 11:15 PM

MGCM
11-29-2013, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Mixalot27
Have there been any successful lawsuits against the stores where these types of things have happened in the past?

to show how much they care, a walmart in the USA was fined $7000 back in 2008, to this date not 1 penny has been paid and the walmart has never had to close its doors. Why fine them $7000 when they dont have to actually pay it? Why make rules and bylaws ect if their not enforced? Would it not be cheeper to just skip it all?

spikerS
11-29-2013, 11:16 PM
http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/e55/16d/211/resized/potato-cop-meme-generator-you-were-doing-45-in-a-potato-zone-12a5fc.jpg?1340063704.jpg

Cos
11-29-2013, 11:17 PM

MGCM
11-29-2013, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I went out and got some synthetic oil for like 20$, my wife also got some Le Creuset cookware she has wanted forever.... no stabbing or shootings :dunno:

I don't know about banning black Friday... sounds a bit racist

thats because our stores up here dont create maddness over deals that are marked up 2 weeks prior to the "sale" anyway, i dont understand the maddness they create down in the states but its rediculous and it should be stopped.

eglove
11-29-2013, 11:43 PM
Good trolling

Stewjoe
11-30-2013, 12:02 AM
I'm waiting for cyber Monday. The only things getting stabbed are my parcels when I open them.

frizzlefry
11-30-2013, 12:03 AM
Its just Americans, not the day itself. Look, UK riot and people politely queue up :)

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/08/09/article-2023924-0D5B42B600000578-663_964x640.jpg

MGCM
11-30-2013, 12:06 AM

simply put, halloween "sales/parties ect" do not often turn malicious, black friday at almost all major retailers in the USA seems to frequently turn malicious, so sure let keep a malious sales event going every year for the "sake of saving a couple bucks"

Kloubek
11-30-2013, 12:11 AM
The shit you heard about in the US didn't happen here. Here, it is just a good sale day... like Boxing Day. And people here don't die on that sale day either.

It is good for business. Business employs people. It's good for consumers who save money.

So why suggest banning it again?

MGCM
11-30-2013, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by frizzlefry
Its just Americans, not the day itself. Look, UK riot and people politely queue up :)

i think i just died, that was epic:rofl:

MGCM
11-30-2013, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
The shit you heard about in the US didn't happen here. Here, it is just a good sale day... like Boxing Day. And people here don't die on that sale day either.

It is good for business. Business employs people. It's good for consumers who save money.

So why suggest banning it again?

for most around the world perhaps no revisions are needed but in the USA major revisions should be made, imho of course, perhaps my title and main post are a little misleading, guilty as charged

Kloubek
11-30-2013, 12:35 AM
I still don't think they need to get rid of the day... just hold stores accountable to ensure their customers are kept in check in some manner... whether that be limiting amount of people in at once (which they do here at some stores), or whatever.

Let's face it... the majority of craziness down there was, in the end, more or less harmless vultures feeding.

flipstah
11-30-2013, 12:40 AM
Ban stabbing!

Kloubek
11-30-2013, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
Ban stabbing!

They really ought to make that illegal. Shooting as well. Put some sort of penalty on it.

Xtrema
11-30-2013, 01:08 AM
There is a reason why all black Friday vids on YouTube are in Walmarts.

People who would die or kill for deals are probably income challenged.

Go4Long
11-30-2013, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
There is a reason why all black Friday vids on YouTube are in Walmarts.

People who would die or kill for deals are probably income challenged.

Trolling...you're doing it right.

Wrinkly
11-30-2013, 02:41 AM
Yes it should! I just worked it! Knucking fackered lol (no stabbings or shootings though) ;) but then again, Canadians are so much more amenable than our US counterparts ;)

ZenOps
11-30-2013, 04:50 AM
wmhtkMPnRo4

Seriously though, $98 HDTV's. Of course people are going to trample each other for the chance to get rid of one of the 3 billion hundred dollah bills they printed up this year alone.

ga16i
11-30-2013, 05:38 AM
They should rename it African American Friday to be more politically correct. :D

The weak should just stay away, this is survival of the fittest, let the Hunger Games begin!

cancer man
11-30-2013, 06:16 AM
Call it jungle friday survival of the fittest.

Type_S1
11-30-2013, 09:09 AM
I honestly wonder how Walmart makes any money in the US on Black Friday. lookiny at the people in the above video, I assume a lot of stuff got jacked!

CompletelyNumb
11-30-2013, 09:41 AM
Let's just remove poor people.

BMDUBS
11-30-2013, 10:22 AM
As for the video, fucking animals. With the poster above, I am certain looting/theft was unbelievable in that store. How are you going to control that mob? ridiculous...

flipstah
11-30-2013, 10:26 AM
The Annual Hunger Games!

Toma
11-30-2013, 10:41 AM
Why do we have black friday in Canada, and why isn't it during our thanksgiving?

codetrap
11-30-2013, 10:43 AM

So why suggest banning it again? Kloubek, that's not true. A friend of mine who is a loss prevention officers just spent the last month going over crowd management plans for target, and they still had issues in store with people pushing and fighting over the "deals". I have to admit, I kind of agree with the OP. The owners of the stores don't really give a shit about these types of situations.. it's free advertising for them in the news, (oh look, the deals there must be so good people are fighting over them, we should get ours!!).. and they're making money hand over fist. They simply don't care, and they're taking advantage of human nature to fight over limited resources to make a buck. I'm of the opinion that the stores should be held directly liable because they're creating the situation.. essentially inciting a riot, and they should be held accountable for that.

Mitsu3000gt
11-30-2013, 11:46 AM
Natural section at work IMO. If people are silly enough to to camp out for "deals" (usually aren't even deals, just clever marketing), and fight mobs of people in WalMart or Target to save a few bucks, then so be it. That is fully retarded IMO.

As for why Canada has Black Friday deals, it's just an excuse for retailers to not really offer much of a deal, yet have people going crazy about shopping. They also do it so that Canadians don't all go spend money in the USA this weekend. They make so much money this weekend, they love it. Shoppers are just their pawns basically haha.

Tik-Tok
11-30-2013, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Toma
Why do we have black friday in Canada, and why isn't it during our thanksgiving?

We don't, really. It's just an advertising campaign for regular weekly sales up here, lol.

In the USoA, it started because the day after thanksgiving was the busiest shopping day of the year (due to upcoming xmas). I don't think the Friday after our thanksgiving is the busiest up here.

Kloubek
11-30-2013, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by codetrap
I'm of the opinion that the stores should be held directly liable because they're creating the situation.. essentially inciting a riot, and they should be held accountable for that.

I both agree and disagree with that. While it is obvious the stores can do a better job with control and the frenzy that develops, it is still the individuals who are at fault for their actions.

Black Friday has been around since the 60's in the US, and while it is certainly starting to get out of control it's still not un-savable. As you say, the store should have some accountability into what occurs there at least to some degree.

Tik-Tok
11-30-2013, 11:56 AM

I both agree and disagree with that. While it is obvious the stores can do a better job with control and the frenzy that develops, it is still the individuals who are at fault for their actions.

Exactly. You don't hold Audi liable, when a TTRS gets driven 300km.h on city streets.

Mitsu3000gt
11-30-2013, 11:57 AM
I'm of the opinion that the stores should be held directly liable because they're creating the situation.. essentially inciting a riot, and they should be held accountable for that.

I have to completely disagree. If people are retarded enough to go nuts over mediocre deals and marketing tactics, that is their problem not the store's. The store is there to make money, which it does in spades on Black Friday. If the general public is actually retarded, how is that their fault?

Seth1968
11-30-2013, 12:12 PM
People were camping out in front of Best Buy a week and a half before the sale.

Shit. Do they not have jobs? Or a life for that matter?

Mitsu3000gt
11-30-2013, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968
People were camping out in front of Best Buy a week and a half before the sale.

Shit. Do they not have jobs? Or a life for that matter?

Or is their time worth literally nothing? It's pretty sad actually. If they worked for a week they would have made more than they would have saved for sure.

frizzlefry
11-30-2013, 12:48 PM
Apparently retail workers also have to put up with people shitting in the stores on black Friday too.

link (http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/11/23/brown-friday-why-do-people-poop-in-retail-stores/)

Seth1968
11-30-2013, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by frizzlefry
Apparently retail workers also have to put up with people shitting in the stores on black Friday too.

link (http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/11/23/brown-friday-why-do-people-poop-in-retail-stores/)

Damn.

People suck.

C_Dave45
11-30-2013, 01:08 PM
More people are murdered every day in the US than the total number of "Black Friday" deaths in the past 10 years.
Ten times more likely to be killed by a lightening strike. Or win the powerball lottery.

codetrap
11-30-2013, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I have to completely disagree. If people are retarded enough to go nuts over mediocre deals and marketing tactics, that is their problem not the store's. The store is there to make money, which it does in spades on Black Friday. If the general public is actually retarded, how is that their fault? The issue is that the stores KNOW the people are retarded, and they take advantage of the situation KNOWING that its going to happen again, every year, and that people are going to get hurt again, every year. Since a corporation is a legal person, then it should be held accountable for setting up a situation knowing that people are going to riot, year after year.

Under federal law, a riot is a public disturbance involving an act of violence by one or more persons assembled in a group of at least three people. Inciting a riot applies to a person who organizes, encourages, or participates in a riot. It can apply to one who urges or instigates others to riot. According to 18 USCS § 2102 "to incite a riot", or "to organize, promote, encourage, participate in, or carry on a riot"

Originally posted by C_Dave45
More people are murdered every day in the US than the total number of "Black Friday" deaths in the past 10 years.
Ten times more likely to be killed by a lightening strike. Or win the powerball lottery. And my dog likes herring chunks in wine. Another totally irrelevant snippet of knowledge for you.

FraserB
11-30-2013, 07:51 PM
Good luck being able to actually prove any of that, would probably be laughed out of court before any "facts" were argued.

C_Dave45
11-30-2013, 08:02 PM

And my dog likes herring chunks in wine. Another totally irrelevant snippet of knowledge for you. [/B]
Completely missed my point huh?

rob the knob
11-30-2013, 08:05 PM
guys, racism, on twitter, moolie monday. racism.

ZenOps
11-30-2013, 08:06 PM
Limiting consumption never goes over well.

Imagine if they said that you could only have a maximum of one or two cars per family (like limiting a family to one child) or one or two televisions, or a maximum dollar amount per car or tv.

The US would shrivel up and die. The US is entirely built around consumption beyond their ability to afford or produce.

But it might be forced upon the masses soon, just through debt financing since the $3.36 barrel of oil of 1970. The US does have to pay back their $54,000 debt per citizen with something, whether it be copper pennies, nickels, or barrels of oil (one can only buy about two DVD's or movies at $20 a year, so hollywood can't save them now)

I suggest the US start paying Canada in nickels that they have produced over the last 148 years, which should last them for about three days worth of oil purchases, lol.

Keep burning $20 in foreign oil every day, and only produce two $20 movies every year in exchange... Somethings going to give soon IE: If the US is no longer willing to or able to afford military mobilization for hire, there is no reason to continue financing oil for US consumption, Just saying...

Xtrema
11-30-2013, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Toma

Brick and a few places tried it this year. No bites.

codetrap
11-30-2013, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

Completely missed my point huh? I guess so... :dunno: I'm of the opinion let's fix the bad stuff we can fix, instead of comparing it against worse stuff to make ourselves feel better while we ignore it.

Originally posted by FraserB
Good luck being able to actually prove any of that, would probably be laughed out of court before any "facts" were argued. Yeah, I'm not a lawyer, so I really don't know if it's possible. But I do see something wrong here, and it's happening year after year. It's just ridiculous to me that this is allowed to happen every year, and every year everyone shakes their collective heads, sighs, and say, yeah, it's just like that... especially when it's so easy to change.

Faith in humanity == all time low..

Mitsu3000gt
11-30-2013, 11:59 PM
The issue is that the stores KNOW the people are retarded, and they take advantage of the situation KNOWING that its going to happen again, every year, and that people are going to get hurt again, every year. Since a corporation is a legal person, then it should be held accountable for setting up a situation knowing that people are going to riot, year after year.

I get what you're saying, but if you held stores responsible for Black Friday deaths (which are 100% avoidable, and the shopper's fault IMO), then you would need to hold car companies responsible for people using cars irresponsibly, drug companies every time someone OD's, gun manufactures every time someone shoots themselves, the military for every soldier's death, etc. It's just not reasonable. Obviously these companies know that a large percentage of the public is fully retarded, yet they still offer these goods & services. Extreme examples, but you get the point. There are dangerous situations everywhere, people willingly choose to participate in. There are otherwise normal situations (in this case shopping) turned into a dangerous one because some people are retarded. It's ridiculous that shopping is ever considered dangerous lol, but apparently it is in the good ol' USA.

Black Friday deaths are, IMO, natural selection (with the exception of any kids obviously, but that's on the parents). If it is recognized as dangerous, and people put themselves in harm's way for essentially nothing (some mediocre deals), then it's pretty hard to justify. It's not the store's fault any more than it is Toyota's fault when a driver hits a pedestrian in a Camry. Guy goes out for a walk, such a normal thing, turned deadly because someone else wasn't thinking. Black Friday deaths are even more avoidable, because people know how crazy it gets and choose to be part of the madness.

All this is kind of a moot point though, because there are so few Black Friday deaths it pales in comparison to pretty much every other danger out there. It's simply not a big enough issue to worry about. More people die in random car accidents on the way to the malls, get eaten by sharks, or hit by lightning.

codetrap
12-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Mitsu3000gt, I see where you're coming from too, and I'm not so concerned about the black friday deaths as all the unnecessary injuries that end up costing us when all those idiots end up in the hospital. I also disagree that it's the same as the car example, or the drug/guns either, or the soldier. None of those industries are setting up a competition for resources situation. (military excluded of course, but that's a whole different animal).. What Walmart and the others are doing is essentially setting up a hunger games situation, where people are compelled (by instinct) to compete for limited resources. That IS the stores fault.

And like I said before, just because there's worse things out there that injure or kill more people that we can't really fix doesn't excuse us from fixing the things that we can, and making the world a better place.

sexualbanana
12-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
Good luck being able to actually prove any of that, would probably be laughed out of court before any "facts" were argued.

Don't need to prove it because it's more likely to be a civil suit than a criminal case. In a civil suit, the plaintiff only needs to provide reasonable probability that the store was negligent in providing adequate crowd control.

In a criminal case, the prosecution has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the store or chain was negligent in providing crowd control, such as consciously choosing to cut corners on security staff or training.

The burden of proof is much higher on a criminal case.
I
n a civil case, the likelihood of a settlement (with a confidentiality agreement) is very high, or it'll just get tied up in court for so long that the plaintiff won't be able to afford their lawyers.

sexualbanana
12-01-2013, 11:38 PM
I should add that that's my understanding of the law, and that I'm not a lawyer. I just play one on the Internet

ZenOps
12-02-2013, 08:04 AM
What Walmart and the others are doing is essentially setting up a hunger games situation, where people are compelled (by instinct) to compete for limited resources. That IS the stores fault.

But the world *IS* a competition for limited resources. It just so happens that the retailers tend to use retail pricing for 364 days of the year.

Fault? No, its a celebration of capitalism. Perfume snobbery where everyone always pays above retail and tips, gets to enjoy the other 364 days.

By letting everyone have a chance at cheap pricing for one day out of the year, it lets those who place high value on cheap pricing (those willing to camp overnight) a chance to get something they probably would not buy otherwise, on a durable good that they may have many years of enjoyment on.

I mean really, there are millions people in India who would love to be able to afford to buy onions, or a handful of iron coinage.

I like to see the punches and kicking and screaming, it lets me know that people are still finding value in plastic toys and electronic entertainment.