PDA

View Full Version : Anyone imported an BMW lately or in the past?

BMDUBS
11-30-2013, 10:11 AM
I am thinking of going to the States this winter to bring up a BMW because I can't seem to find the spec of car I am looking for here in Canada.

Is BMW Canada still surcharging imported cars with excessive charges to get the recall letter etc? How much is the dealer charging for this letter and other than turning on the DRL's what else do they do and what does It all cost?

The dollar is weak these days so it may not be much of a saving but selection in Canada for the model I want is slim.

J.M.
11-30-2013, 10:39 AM
Which model?

BMDUBS
11-30-2013, 10:59 AM
Looking for an 08'-10' M3 convertible with DKG.

you&me
11-30-2013, 06:17 PM
You missed the boat on importing.

The dollar is at it's lowest point in sometime, the US ecomony is picking up (= higher demand / stronger used car prices), and quite often, the wholesale prices in Canada are now dollar for dollar the same as the US cars...

On top of that, we're about a year away from the elimination of the 6.1% import duty.

I'd suggest you keep looking up here. A DCT M3 isn't that unique... Is there a specific colour combo or something that you can't find?

snowcat
11-30-2013, 06:57 PM
Also as they might be designated hot weather cars you may not get headlight washers, heated seats, ski pass thru etc.

BMDUBS
11-30-2013, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by you&me
You missed the boat on importing.

The dollar is at it's lowest point in sometime, the US ecomony is picking up (= higher demand / stronger used car prices), and quite often, the wholesale prices in Canada are now dollar for dollar the same as the US cars...

On top of that, we're about a year away from the elimination of the 6.1% import duty.

I'd suggest you keep looking up here. A DCT M3 isn't that unique... Is there a specific colour combo or something that you can't find?

I agree and realize these points but yes it is color combo I am looking for that doesn't come around too often. I guess I will have to keep searching and perhaps be more patient.

Seems like M3's with similar spec with lower mileage than here are going for $10,000.00 cheaper so even if it cost $5k in exchange rate, duties, recall letter etc there is still money to be saved...

stillworking
12-01-2013, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by you&me

Do you know what the new duty is going to be?

benyl
12-01-2013, 03:30 PM
0%

snowcat
12-01-2013, 04:01 PM
You're forgetting travel, time off work, expenses, gas. It really doesn't add up anymore. Also mph as the main unit of measure would annoy the crap out of me.

schocker
12-01-2013, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by snowcat
You're forgetting travel, time off work, expenses, gas. It really doesn't add up anymore. Also mph as the main unit of measure would annoy the crap out of me.
You can ship it for like $1k to montana and doesn't it also have digital speedometer?

BMDUBS
12-01-2013, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by snowcat

I plan on doing this as I get 6-8 weeks off starting mid December so work is not an issue. As for the expenses, I was thinking of touring the southern USA in it as a bit of a road trip...

95EagleAWD
12-01-2013, 09:08 PM
It's not nearly as hard as anyone says it is. Feel free to PM me if you'd like.