PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have an idea what it costs to repaint...

ToXicXxX
12-01-2013, 10:58 PM
So there's... Probably 500 rock chips on my G35 Coupe... I've read that Infiniti paint is crap, especially my beautiful laser red. Unfortunately the chips aren't all localized to one or two body panels... Both doors, and both front fenders as well as by the sunroof. Hood is clean thanks to a 3M bra though...

Anyone have any idea what it would run to repaint the whole car with a thicker paint? I don't really want to spend a ton, but I got my G for waaaay less then it was worth, so even with a 3-4k paint job it's under market value. Or would it be best to get my doors, fenders and roof painted? I was going to attack it with dr color chip and langka filler.

lee88
12-02-2013, 02:09 AM
Call a bunch of body shops and get quotes. As for paint try to find a shop that uses Sikkens. One of the thicker paints when it comes to solvent paint but most or atleast all body shops spray waterborne

ToXicXxX
12-02-2013, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by lee88
Call a bunch of body shops and get quotes. As for paint try to find a shop that uses Sikkens. One of the thicker paints when it comes to solvent paint but most or atleast all body shops spray waterborne

Sikkens? Huh, I used to sell their stain... Was good shit.

What about Sico, used to sell that too, heard they do something like 70% of automotive paint?

I was considering renting a booth at Uwrench and having my buddy paint it, im sure I can source paint, I still have all my old contacts.

J.M.
12-02-2013, 03:11 PM
You'll probably save a lot more money having your buddy paint it versus going to a shop.

botox
12-02-2013, 03:59 PM
I wouldn't trust a buddy if they are not experienced and don't have their own booth. Trying to save a few $$ might be more headaches than it's worth, and your car will look like shit. The paint needs to be sanded and the chipped spots need to be smoothed out or you'll end up with dots everywhere. if you're willing to spend 3-4k, just take it to screamin paint works and call it a day. I think they can do it within that budget.

ToXicXxX
12-02-2013, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by botox
I wouldn't trust a buddy if they are not experienced and don't have their own booth. Trying to save a few $$ might be more headaches than it's worth, and your car will look like shit. The paint needs to be sanded and the chipped spots need to be smoothed out or you'll end up with dots everywhere. if you're willing to spend 3-4k, just take it to screamin paint works and call it a day. I think they can do it within that budget.

Ahhh, I thought they would be running closer to 10. Will they spray solvent based paint? I'd love whatever the hell was on my Audi, that paint was unchippable, only chip I had was from a small boulder hitting me on deerfoot.

Graham_A_M
12-02-2013, 07:55 PM
You can call a guy I know, his name is Lee.

I met him about 8 years ago. He works out of his garage, then rents a paint booth for painting duties. YEARS ago I smacked a deer with my car, it had that fiberglass front nose clip.
This was it
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/116815/2nd-gen-mx6-gallery-/

but basically body shops wanted $3300 or so to redo the front nose clip. He did it for $600-800 (I forget, I think it was $800). But he fixed tons of shit I didn't even ask him to fix (like the Z3 vents in the front fenders that were starting to crack), and even rehung my doors so they actually closed properly.

So, I was stoked!!! I've been a raving fan ever since. He did an awesome job too.

So call Lee at (403) 703-1869
I was hoping to use him again for redoing several body panels on my '38 Chevy, but he's too busy to deal with the restoration side of things (which sucks since now I have to find someone else). Just call him and book it in. You'll be quite happy as I was.

ToXicXxX
12-03-2013, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
You can call a guy I know, his name is Lee.

I met him about 8 years ago. He works out of his garage, then rents a paint booth for painting duties. YEARS ago I smacked a deer with my car, it had that fiberglass front nose clip.
This was it
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/116815/2nd-gen-mx6-gallery-/

but basically body shops wanted $3300 or so to redo the front nose clip. He did it for $600-800 (I forget, I think it was $800). But he fixed tons of shit I didn't even ask him to fix (like the Z3 vents in the front fenders that were starting to crack), and even rehung my doors so they actually closed properly.

So, I was stoked!!! I've been a raving fan ever since. He did an awesome job too.

So call Lee at (403) 703-1869
I was hoping to use him again for redoing several body panels on my '38 Chevy, but he's too busy to deal with the restoration side of things (which sucks since now I have to find someone else). Just call him and book it in. You'll be quite happy as I was.

I kind of worry about having someone who isn't a shop do it, it wouldn't exactly have any guarantee on it would it?

Im guessing on the flip side he could spray solvent based.

He doesn't happen to live in Chestermere does he, because if he does I know him haha.

Graham_A_M
12-03-2013, 10:37 PM
^No he's in Calgary. He doesn't offer a guarantee, but considering he doesn't advertise and 100% of his business is word of mouth, I think its safe to say he does good work.
:thumbsup:

Dont get me wrong, feel free to go through a shop, but have fun paying at least triple what he'd do it for.

ToXicXxX
12-04-2013, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^No he's in Calgary. He doesn't offer a guarantee, but considering he doesn't advertise and 100% of his business is word of mouth, I think its safe to say he does good work.
:thumbsup:

Dont get me wrong, feel free to go through a shop, but have fun paying at least triple what he'd do it for.

Im not looking to get this done until summer, so I'll bookmark my thread.

ken.bryle21
12-04-2013, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by botox
if you're willing to spend 3-4k, just take it to screamin paint works and call it a day. I think they can do it within that budget.

i dont know if this sound legit but i know for fact that my shop where i work wouldnt charge this cheap for a complete job
not unless it just sand,mask and paint.

ToXicXxX
12-05-2013, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by ken.bryle21

i dont know if this sound legit but i know for fact that my shop where i work wouldnt charge this cheap for a complete job
not unless it just sand,mask and paint.

Thats what it is, the body is flawless (albiet, there is filler in the bumper thanks to a dent, but I got all dents/imperfections fixed when I bought the car). Will your shop spray solvent based? My bid is to whoever will spray a tick solvent based paint on my baby.

ken.bryle21
12-05-2013, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by ToXicXxX

Thats what it is, the body is flawless (albiet, there is filler in the bumper thanks to a dent, but I got all dents/imperfections fixed when I bought the car). Will your shop spray solvent based? My bid is to whoever will spray a tick solvent based paint on my baby.

ill check if boss willing to do it.

ToXicXxX
12-07-2013, 12:24 AM