PDA

View Full Version : Quality and Good Value Socks?

BrknFngrs
12-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Socks are one of those items I hate spending a bunch of money on but the Walmart 12-pairs-in-a-plastic-bag aren't ideal either. Any beyonders have socks they'd recommend that are comfortable for day-to-day wear and good at wicking moisture at a good price?

Ideally looking for something that I can wear for my walk into work, in my dress shoes once I get into the office and at the gym after work. I like Under Armour's sock offerings but the price seems excessive for socks.

Hoping to replace a good chunk of my drawer (~30 pairs).

heavyfuel
12-02-2013, 12:36 PM
The Banana Republic outlet at Crossiron, I've bought dozens of pairs there as low as 4$/pair on sale. They last a long time, are hella comfy, fit properly, and believe it or not I've found them to far outperform high priced "sport" socks for skiing, snowboarding and rollerblading as well as daily and formal wear.

JRSC00LUDE
12-02-2013, 12:42 PM
http://darntough.com/

msommers
12-02-2013, 12:44 PM
http://www.socksaddict.com/?gclid=CNTf2q6ZkrsCFUpBQgodURsAVg

flipstah
12-02-2013, 03:16 PM
SmartWool is durable went through 3 pairs for 5-6 years of winter wear.

I bought these Merino wool socks as replacements so we will see.

theken
12-02-2013, 03:31 PM
I have about 20 pair of under armour socks, go to winners and check out their selection, they seem to have a bunch of nice socks for a good price

BrknFngrs
12-03-2013, 12:22 AM
Awesome, I'll check out the above sources; one of them will do the trick I'm sure.

R-Audi
12-03-2013, 09:53 AM
For dress socks Superstore has some.. with decent color patterns and price as well.

busdepot
12-03-2013, 02:05 PM
Roots brand socks from Winners. Dirt cheap and decent quality. I'm sure I've had some pairs that are over 5 years old that are still hole free and the heels aren't getting thin. Most get lost before they are worn out.

Mitsu3000gt
12-03-2013, 02:09 PM
Costco has huge packs of Adidas sports socks with a really thick bottom and vented top. It's $14 for 6 pairs or something like that. Seem to be made a lot better than your average sock.

ExtraSlow
12-03-2013, 02:50 PM
One trick I've used is to buy a large number of identical socks. Last time I did this I bought twenty pairs from wal-mart. Not the best socks, but if one wears out, i don't have to throw both out, and it makes matching socks a breeze on laundry day. I'm convinced this is the cheapest sock system possible.

Unique socks might be more fun, but you end up paying twice for them.

anyone had the "dress/casual" version of the darntough socks? those look intersting.

lasimmon
12-03-2013, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
One trick I've used is to buy a large number of identical socks. Last time I did this I bought twenty pairs from wal-mart. Not the best socks, but if one wears out, i don't have to throw both out, and it makes matching socks a breeze on laundry day. I'm convinced this is the cheapest sock system possible.

Unique socks might be more fun, but you end up paying twice for them.

anyone had the "dress/casual" version of the darntough socks? those look intersting.

I run the same system, however I don't match socks on laundry day. I just stuff them all into my drawer and grab 2 when I need em! :)