PDA

View Full Version : Tips on selling vehicle with minor accidents?

CapnCrunch
12-03-2013, 12:18 PM
Anybody have luck selling a vehicle that's has a few minor accidents?

I'm thinking of selling my truck that I've owned since new, but there are a few minor incidents showing up on my report.

Incident 1. Non existent accident, car bumped into me, we both reported it to insurance, no damage or injuries to either party, but it still shows on the report. I don't even know why this shows up? Maybe because we both reported it to insurance, thinking the other had damages?

Incident 2. Minor rear ender, had my bumper replaced, and a bit of the rear quarter was repainted ~$1700 damage. I have receipts for the insurance repair and pictures of the damage.

I bought the truck new, and have taken amazing care of it (Which you can tell by the paint, interior and perfect mechanical condition).

I want (need) to buy something bigger now, and was hoping to trade it in, but I'm guessing the dealer would gouge me based on the accidents (I would be okay with the CBB trade-in value).

That leaves me with 2 options;

1. Sell it privately - I almost don't even want to bother since I don't want to deal with people low balling (even worse than normal with the accidents), no-shows, and the usual circus of paypal scams, people trying to pay by personal check, and the 19 calls from Great cars and trucks.

2. Keep it. I know the truck, I like the truck, its handy to have one.
The only issue with keeping it is that it would allow me to buy my new vehicle cash (+ trade-in) instead of having a car payment.

I just re-read all of that and it looks like a lot of rambling lol.

Cliffs: What should I do with the truck? Trade-in for a lowball price(I hate this idea), sell privately for a slightly higher lowball price (I hate this idea), or just keep it and get back into a car payment (I hate this idea)?

carson blocks
12-03-2013, 12:21 PM
I don't think most normal people would even be concerned about those minor little things. I personally wouldn't even mention it unless asked. It's not like it's a repaired status vehicle or was close to written off or something.

colinxx235
12-03-2013, 12:27 PM
^

total opposite.

When selling my car it had two tiny parking lot incidents (neither my fault). But I was very clear about this when selling. I listed both incidents in the kijiji ad and stated price of them. Also said I had pictures/receipts to prove damage/repairs etc. Cause it was mostly repainting rear bumper in both cases.

The buyer was very happy that I had all my paperwork for him to check and make sure I wasn't hiding something or the "minor" incident was smoking a curb and having ball joint/diff type repairs.

I guess it depends on what you're trying to buy new? Is it something that would have keeping a truck you've already paid for/taken care of on the side useful and used a lot during winters. Or are you buying another truck/suv and its mostly just going to sit there except for a few times a year? In which case trade-in and avoiding private sale is probably the best.

CapnCrunch
12-03-2013, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235
^

I guess it depends on what you're trying to buy new? Is it something that would have keeping a truck you've already paid for/taken care of on the side useful and used a lot during winters. Or are you buying another truck/suv and its mostly just going to sit there except for a few times a year? In which case trade-in and avoiding private sale is probably the best.

I'm looking for a SUV, so the truck won't really be needed. I have a small trailer I can use for dump runs/etc that I normally use the truck for. The truck isn't necessary.

What do you think the dealership would try to knock off for my trade-in with accidents? 5%? 20%? 50%? I'd fully expect the high end trade-in value for my trade if it wasn't in the accidents. Lower Km's, perfect body/ interior/ mechanical/ windshield/ tires/ brakes/ etc. I could drive it there, literally sign the papers, and they could throw it on the lot in 10 minutes. It wouldn't even need to be cleaned up.

I'll be going in next week to check out the new truck, so I guess I'll find out soon enough. I just like to be as prepared as I can for what they might offer for it.

CapnCrunch
12-03-2013, 12:38 PM
I should add, I'll be disclosing all accident info whichever way I go.

colinxx235
12-03-2013, 12:41 PM
Dealership will typically go with the middle black book if it has previous incidents (know the personally). So that is usually the best thing you can do to prepare the lowball. go to canadianblackbook.com and run the numbers, do a kbb, do a quick check on kijiji. and try to argue as high up on the blackbook as you can for your trade-in value.

G-ZUS
12-03-2013, 12:44 PM
What kind of truck is it?

94boosted
12-03-2013, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by carson blocks
I don't think most normal people would even be concerned about those minor little things. I personally wouldn't even mention it unless asked. It's not like it's a repaired status vehicle or was close to written off or something.

:werd: Most reasonable people won't care about a $1700 claim. A $1700 claim is so minor.

My suggestion would be that you first try to privately sell it for a couple weeks and if you can't then go the trade in route. :dunno:

quick_scar
12-03-2013, 01:17 PM
1. Full disclosure. I have sold many vehicles with accidents on the record (not the smartest driver in my youth). Be upfront and honest. Some people will not call because of it, but really, all they would end up doing is wasting your time anyways. The ones that do call, already know the history so no surprises.

2. Provide any documentation you can supporting your claims from the get go. Quotes, bills, etc... all go a long way.

3. Do not price it like a mint, garage kept, never driven vehicle. Although the accidents may have only been small, that still has an effect on the price. Price accordingly. You know what you want out of it, if they lowball, counter offer and stick to your guns. If they want the truck, they will work with you. If they are just looking for something to flip, or whatever, they will walk.

I too am interested what kind of truck. Send me the details. I have been looking for something my dad and I can use to haul things to the dump, landscape, etc... Maybe we can make a deal.

carson blocks
12-03-2013, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
I should add, I'll be disclosing all accident info whichever way I go.

To clarify, I would never hide major damage and would always disclose if asked, as I hate scumbag dishonest sellers myself, but $1700 is absolutely nothing as far as auto body repairs go. Putting it in the Kijiji ad will make a good percentage of buyers think there is something wrong with it and go to the next ad as there are just too many idiots out there. Mentioning such minor damage without being asked just gives said idiots a reason to try and knock some off the price, or a give them a non-existant problem to worry about.

If the damage was significant or not properly or professionally repaired then you need to come clean. If the damage was that minor, and was repaired properly, it's not worth any more mention than any other minor repair. You wouldn't fret about a $1700 mechanical part failing and having been replaced, or feel the need to point out to the buyer that it's not all original parts. This is no different IMO.

Masked Bandit
12-03-2013, 01:24 PM
OP, I think you're worrying a bit too much about this. I've sold used vehicles with minor accidents before without any issue. The last one was ten years old with a $3500 accident from about five years earlier. The buyer didn't even flinch. I don't think anyone really expects a "used" vehicle to be in showroom condition.

What's the year & model of the truck?

CapnCrunch
12-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS
What kind of truck is it?

2008 Nissan Frontier KC SE 4X4

CapnCrunch
12-04-2013, 11:53 AM
Sorry one more semi-related question. One of the vehicles I'm looking at had damage from last years hail storm. It was fixed, but the damage amount was $8700. I'm assuming that since both vehicles have been damaged, that takes away my minor accidents as a negotiating point?

However, I'm curious if I should have any concerns about that type of damage? Does that $ amount seem high? What type of repair would that be? PDR? Any concerns about the repaired panels being weaker going forward? Is it more susceptible to getting hail damage again?

I live in the NW and our area got the worst of that hail storm last year. Hail seems like a pretty common occurrence in the summer.