PDA

View Full Version : Kincora, Evanston and Sage Hill

R!zz0
12-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Between the 3 communities, which one has the most expensive homes? I did notice that Kincora does not have a 3 car garage homes. I talked to my Brother in law who lives in Kincora obviously said Kincora has more expensive homes then Evanston and sage hill.

schocker
12-03-2013, 01:35 PM
I think each of the three have a range of homes from $ to $$$. Probably Kincora has nicer ones ($$$) but then sage hill for example has houses backing onto the natural area which are like ~$700k iirc?
Evanston is about the same though but then there is also evansridge, sage meadows and nolan hill in those areas also.

Skyline_Addict
12-03-2013, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by R!zz0
Between the 3 communities, which one has the most expensive homes? I did notice that Kincora does not have a 3 car garage homes. I talked to my Brother in law who lives in Kincora obviously said Kincora has more expensive homes then Evanston and sage hill.

On average, Kincora should be more expensive than the other two communities.

Dren
12-03-2013, 01:36 PM
Kincora

mrsingh
12-03-2013, 01:37 PM
I won't comment on which area is most expensive, but Kincora does have 3-car garage homes. I have seen several, including my next door neighbour.

Oh and Kincora has ravine lots as well, my walkout house backs onto one. Although I believe Sage Hill and certain parts of Evanston (Evansridge) has greenspaces they back onto as well.

R!zz0
12-03-2013, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by mrsingh
but Kincora does have 3-car garage homes. I have seen several, including my next door neighbour.

Where abouts?

Team_Mclaren
12-03-2013, 01:38 PM
there are three car garage houses in Evanston iirc. But if you are gonna spend that much, why limit yourself to those three communities.

mrsingh
12-03-2013, 04:45 PM

Where abouts?

Off the top of my head I have seen the three car garage wide houses on Kincora Point and Kincora Bay. There are a lot of others that have the a double with an extra tandem stall to make it a triple.

charlie2
12-04-2013, 02:05 AM
on average Kincora....pretty hard to get into the neighbourhood for under $400K where as evanston and sage hill have entry level homes available in the $300's....that being said I think Evansridge has some very pricey homes along the ridge in the $700+ range

Asian_defender
12-04-2013, 09:51 PM

Why are you concerned with which area has the more expensive homes? If you are shopping for one in the area, it should be based on your personal taste, not based on price. I'm in Sage Hill and I chose it because I got a lot across the street from a park.

Just my 2 cents

fajita123
12-05-2013, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Asian_defender

Why are you concerned with which area has the more expensive homes? If you are shopping for one in the area, it should be based on your personal taste, not based on price. I'm in Sage Hill and I chose it because I got a lot across the street from a park.

Just my 2 cents

This. Kincora is the most established of these three communities right now, so it makes sense the homes would be more expensive. Both Evanston and Sage Hill are building new shopping centres, and Evanston two new schools. Once this work is complete I would expect homes to be quite comparable (Evanston possibly a bump due to presence of schools).

R!zz0
12-05-2013, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Asian_defender

Just my 2 cents

I know two people that live in Kincora told me that you can't compare Kincora to Sage hill and Evanston. I am curious why they're saying that. All 3 communities have acres of greenspace, future school site, playgrounds and walking paths. So why is Kincora a better area? :dunno:

variable_x
12-05-2013, 03:04 PM
Of the 3, I prefer Kincora because it's slightly older and closer to downtown. I think most homes in Kinora are around $500k, where in Sage Hill and Evanston, you can find homes around $300k-$400k.

CLiVE
12-05-2013, 03:18 PM
From what I remember (and my opinion) Evanston has higher end homes on the Ridge with Triple garages, but also has a bunch of homes with detached garages and back alleys - quite the mix. Some detached triples also

Sage Hill always had slightly lower price point than Kincora, and there Nolan was lower still initially.

Also Sherwood is also similar to Kincora and pricing generally falls in line with it. Several triple garages in Sherwood though.

All are fairly similar when it comes down to it and have similar access.

bulaian
12-05-2013, 03:33 PM

I know two people that live in Kincora told me that you can't compare Kincora to Sage hill and Evanston. I am curious why they're saying that. All 3 communities have acres of greenspace, future school site, playgrounds and walking paths. So why is Kincora a better area? :dunno:

They're just saying it because they live there :dunno:

They don't want to say they live in a "worse" area

fajita123
12-05-2013, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by variable_x
Of the 3, I prefer Kincora because it's slightly older and closer to downtown. I think most homes in Kinora are around $500k, where in Sage Hill and Evanston, you can find homes around $300k-$400k.

Kincora would be very slightly closer to downtown than Evanston, if at all (Evanston is immediately east, across Symons Valley Road). I do like that it is more established though.

Sherwood was brought up, I think that it would be a step above all of these communities in house prices/sizes.

Asian_defender
12-05-2013, 03:58 PM

In all 3 areas your going to see homes in the 399 range as well as homes in the 700k range.

I've seen homes in Kincora go for $400 just as much as I've seen homes in Evanston/Sage Hill for $400. There's always going to be the person who just doesn't care about upgrades and go with base specs when they build the home.

Kincora being the oldest community of the 3 may be a little more developed so prices might be ~5% higher but I can see Sage and Evanston catching up after a few years

Skyline_Addict
12-05-2013, 04:05 PM
Yeah. As mentioned, there isn't that much of a difference but Kincora presently will have a slight advantage overall in value due to it being more established. The nicer exterior stone finishing on every house in the community does make it feel a bit more upscale and uniform to me, but whether that increases value for someone is quite subjective.

silvercivicsir
12-10-2013, 10:44 AM
Commute was horrible today.. I hate living in Evanston !

403ep3
12-10-2013, 10:49 AM
Normal time to get to look from Sage = 15mins

Today = 30 mins :banghead:

Deeznuts
12-10-2013, 10:58 AM
Question for those who currently live in Evanston - how are the morning and rush-hour traffic conditions down Symons Valley Pkwy at Symons Valley Road/Beddington intersection? I believe this is the main access into the community... Is it a big jam session?

Considering building in Evanrisdge.

Thanks

403ep3
12-10-2013, 11:08 AM
My parents live in Evanston and normally it's bearable. In the winter, on the other hand, leave early!

flipstah
12-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by 403ep3
My parents live in Evanston and normally it's bearable. In the winter, on the other hand, leave early!

Bottleneck on main entry/exit routes?

Other than Symon Valley or whatever it's called, what other routes are available to get in and out?

schocker
12-10-2013, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
Bottleneck on main entry/exit routes?

Other than Symon Valley or whatever it's called, what other routes are available to get in and out?
You can take 112th Avenue or take Panorama road off H 566. Sage hill is king shit for in and out roads. :D

Orbie
12-10-2013, 12:27 PM
I lived in Kincora and moved to Evansridge, you can most definitely compare them, they all are in the same immediate area. Kincora has a slightly better access point to Symon's Valley in terms of location, but that is arguable because the hill entrance gets jam packed on snowy days like today and I think the through traffic from Sage Hill/Evanston has better flow through than Kincora.

One of the big things I liked about Kincora is the small community feel. Essentially the majority of the community is located within one big main road that loops. The greenspace was nice, and I did like the consistent appearance of the houses. The cell phone tower disguised as a lighthouse was also interesting. The reason we moved was to upsize and in my opinion Kincora doesn't support moving up within the community very well. Someone said above that on average Kincora is more expensive, and I would agree with that, because all their homes are virtually in the same price range and demographic, there is a rarity of three car garages. I saw one the entire time I lived there, it's located in one of the Kincora Bay cul-de-sac's (can't remember which one) and the extra stall is tight against the next house. The lot sizes in Kincora are not conducive to much more than a typical two car attached 2 story home.

Evanston will be cheaper on average, you have ~1500 sq.ft starter homes and back lane garage homes, than across the street on the ridge you have three car garage homes at ~3000 sq.ft. I'm not a huge fan of this as I think it takes down the overall aesthetic of the community plus you get price discrepencies from $300K to $1M in one block which I think is crazy, but it does allow people to move up within the community easily. So if you like the area but want something bigger you don't have to move to a new area. The overall size of Evanston will be big when they are done with it, likely on par with Panorama Hills. All that means is more people more traffic etc. But developers are also aware of this which is why Evanston is getting a shopping complex and 2 schools.

The road on Symons Valley Parkway is a pain on bad weather days, all I can say is leave early. On the majority of days it's actually not bad at all. Eventually additional accesses will be made to Evanston farther down Symons Valley Road so something to think about.

avishal26
12-10-2013, 02:09 PM
As long as you leave early (like 6ish am) on days like today, the traffic down to Symons Valley from Evanston is not too bad.

All the city needs to do is fix the damn intersection lights on Symons Valley that turn red and stop 100% of the traffic for no reason ... they need sensing lights so that it changes based on traffic not due to some stupid pre-set timing /rant.

Another road that should be done within a year is continuation of Symons Valley Parkway out to 14 st NW to go out to Stoney... makes it easier if you're going that way and should drop the traffic load on Symons Valley at least by 25% I would say.

fajita123
12-10-2013, 04:57 PM
Three of the four lights between Symons Valley Parkway and Stoney Trail are flashing amber before 6:30AM, if I can make it out before then it saves a few minutes.

Has there been confirmation of when the 14th St access to Stoney will be installed? Within the next year would be awesome... I know Joe Magliocca has talked about it but haven't seen anything official.

In other news, Sobeys opens this Friday at Symons Valley Parkway and Evanston Way. I see there is a DQ, RBC and Little Caesar's going in there also. Anyone know if they'll be putting in a Tim's or a pub?

Deeznuts
12-11-2013, 09:13 AM
I assume they'll get working on that 14th St. overpass in late 2014, once the last phase in Panorama wraps up.

I've seen a future Tim's marked up on a map.

Deeznuts
12-11-2013, 09:22 AM
Just found this brochure for evanston towne centre

http://www.evanstoncommunity.com/client_files/Evanston/EVANSTON___Towne_Centre_Handout___11x17___for_website.pdf

silvercivicsir
12-11-2013, 09:32 AM
Hope the Gas bar is a Petro Canada.. with a "glide car wash"...

fajita123
12-11-2013, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Deeznuts
Just found this brochure for evanston towne centre

http://www.evanstoncommunity.com/client_files/Evanston/EVANSTON___Towne_Centre_Handout___11x17___for_website.pdf

Thanks for the link. In the bottom picture it looks like a patio - man, a pub would be nice.

avishal26
12-11-2013, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by fajita123
Three of the four lights between Symons Valley Parkway and Stoney Trail are flashing amber before 6:30AM, if I can make it out before then it saves a few minutes.

Has there been confirmation of when the 14th St access to Stoney will be installed? Within the next year would be awesome... I know Joe Magliocca has talked about it but haven't seen anything official.

In other news, Sobeys opens this Friday at Symons Valley Parkway and Evanston Way. I see there is a DQ, RBC and Little Caesar's going in there also. Anyone know if they'll be putting in a Tim's or a pub?

Good to know Sobey's is opening this Friday. Now instead of driving 7 min to Co-op I can drive 30 seconds :D

I know 3 of the lights flash before 6:30 and I'm almost always there before then, but lately it's been taking forever to get down the hill from Evanston... :banghead:

As for the 14th overpass, the grading was all done way back looks like on Stoney Tr for on/off ramps - its just a matter of when they start putting up a bridge... its less time consuming to put up steel concrete to put up a bridge than to grade all the on/off ramps. It just depends on when they start...

They might even just extend Symon's valley pkwy to Centre St. overpass first since that is already built.

zooter
12-16-2013, 12:46 PM
I would love to see the 14 street overpass built, it might even be faster to loop around Stoney and back to Beddington rather than for down Symons Valley Road in the morning..

I visited the Sobeys and I guess it's the first "of its kind" in Alberta, because its much smaller, has some good fresh food options but no Pharmacy which was disappointing..It's also much smaller than your typical Sobeys..

Also, anyone know what is going into the old Rona space in the Creekside shopping centre? I heard rumours of Target but no signs have gone up yet..

hampstor
12-16-2013, 12:58 PM

AFAIK there's been no official confirmation of the start date. It is linking to a provincial highway so the city needs to align with the province on the construction of it. The Minster of Transportation was made aware of the concerns about the lack of a 2nd entrance - but we haven't heard anything of it since that discussion. To be honest, I'm not even sure they have figured out who's paying for it first (City, Province, or both).

It's funny you mentioned Joe as some of us in Kincora were just talking about his 14th street election promise. I believe during the candidate forum at the SV Church Joe did say he'd have it done within 6 months of being elected. :rofl:

avishal26
12-16-2013, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by zooter
I would love to see the 14 street overpass built, it might even be faster to loop around Stoney and back to Beddington rather than for down Symons Valley Road in the morning..

I visited the Sobeys and I guess it's the first "of its kind" in Alberta, because its much smaller, has some good fresh food options but no Pharmacy which was disappointing..It's also much smaller than your typical Sobeys..

Also, anyone know what is going into the old Rona space in the Creekside shopping centre? I heard rumours of Target but no signs have gone up yet..

I think there is a plan to have a Sobey's Medical or something right next to Sobeys? I saw it on this link..

Evanston Town Square (http://www.evanstoncommunity.com/client_files/Evanston/EVANSTON___Towne_Centre_Handout___11x17___for_website.pdf)

I wonder why Rona shut down? A hardware store 2 min from a community that is developing like crazy??? Fail? I would not have thought so.

BigDL
12-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by avishal26

I think there is a plan to have a Sobey's Medical or something right next to Sobeys? I saw it on this link..

Evanston Town Square (http://www.evanstoncommunity.com/client_files/Evanston/EVANSTON___Towne_Centre_Handout___11x17___for_website.pdf)

I wonder why Rona shut down? A hardware store 2 min from a community that is developing like crazy??? Fail? I would not have thought so.

I think I remember someone saying that the rent for that space was just too much.

rage2
12-16-2013, 01:14 PM
Paintball. I thought it was open already?

fajita123
12-16-2013, 01:16 PM

I checked out the Sobey's too. Definitely a different layout, but I like it. Never noticed the lack of pharmacy.. too bad.

I had heard rumour of a Target in the old Rona too, but haven't seen anything happening there. They have the building interior it at night and it looks completely empty. I know when they were renovating Zellers stores to become Target, they had large "Coming Soon" signs with Target logos. I'm not sure what the plan for that place is, but it's a large building to have sitting empty.

Not sure on why they weren't successful. It's been shut down since I moved here, but I may have driven up the hill to Home Depot anyway. Not a fan of Rona...

There is a two storey building under construction next to the Sobey's, I wonder if this will be the medical/dental offices? I do hope they have a pharmacy in the area.

Edit - Also, anyone know when the Sobey's liquor store is going to open? Had an "open soon" sign on it yesterday.

Deeznuts
12-16-2013, 04:26 PM
I bet the "Drug Store" on the south end of that complex will be a Rexall, like Gates of Panorama.

Sales lady at one of the showhomes in the area did confirm last week that it will be Target at Creekside.

schocker
12-16-2013, 04:47 PM
The rona was horrible. They only ever had like 4 people working the store at one time so it made more sense to go to homedepot where you didn't to wait forever for help or to check out. I have also heard target though, that would be much nicer than walmart, I heard it was like late 2014 or 2015 though iirc. Still far out. Walmart is going in right next to kincora though, have fun guys :rofl:

avishal26
12-16-2013, 05:17 PM

Edit - Also, anyone know when the Sobey's liquor store is going to open? Had an "open soon"; sign on it yesterday.

lol No idea but I didn't even see that sign until a few seconds after I gave up on shaking the doors trying to figure out why it wouldn't open yesterday :rofl:

I can actually see the Sobey's Liquor sign from my master bedroom :D good selling point in the future I hope.

Darell_n
12-16-2013, 06:22 PM

It's the same size as most the others, such as Country Hills. The interior layout is modelled after all the Quebec IGA stores and attempts to make it more a boutique style. Real PITA to build.

Darell_n
12-16-2013, 06:25 PM

Edit - Also, anyone know when the Sobey's liquor store is going to open? Had an "open soon" sign on it yesterday.

I turned on the refrigeration today and I think they are having a 'soft opening' on Wednesday with an official grand opening for this weekend.

R!zz0
12-17-2013, 08:53 AM
Well Kincora has creekside, evanston has their own town centre...Just waiting for Sage hill crossing. Hopefully it'll happen soon :dunno:

BigDL
12-17-2013, 10:41 AM
Well Kincora has creekside, evanston has their own town centre...Just waiting for Sage hill crossing. Hopefully it'll happen soon :dunno:

That would be nice, on Royop's website they are hoping for a 2015 completion of Gates of Nolan Hill. That would be nice too.

Found this, http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/DBA/Documents/calgary_planning_commission/agenda/2013/dp2012-5083.pdf?noredirect=1

Skip to page 22 where there is some proposed images of the development for Sage hill crossing's walmart.

fajita123
12-17-2013, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Darell_n

I turned on the refrigeration today and I think they are having a 'soft opening' on Wednesday with an official grand opening for this weekend.

Awesome! What exactly is a soft opening, they open but don't publicize?

zooter
12-17-2013, 11:42 AM

I would say Evanston has Creekside as well, kind of shared with Kincora. Those living in Evanston basically have two options now whereas people in Kincora will not really venture up Symons Valley Pkwy to Evanston Towne Centre..the DQ will be a nice addition for summertime...I wish someone would open a coin operated car wash bay somewhere in the area..

R!zz0
12-17-2013, 12:08 PM
I wish someone would open a coin operated car wash bay somewhere in the area..

:werd:

Darell_n
12-17-2013, 12:16 PM

Awesome! What exactly is a soft opening, they open but don't publicize?

Pretty much.

avishal26
12-17-2013, 12:23 PM

I wish someone would open a coin operated car wash bay somewhere in the area..

This!

schocker
12-17-2013, 12:37 PM
This!
Spyhill is pretty close.....
As long as the roads aren't messy :burnout:

avishal26
12-17-2013, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by schocker

Spyhill is pretty close.....
As long as the roads aren't messy :burnout:

Damn - I never knew about that one! Good to know - much closer than Crowchild/Kensington one I usually go to lol

I washed my car Friday but in about 2 hours it was back to what it was before :( it's impossible to keep all the salt off your car..... thats why I love -20 weather :D

ANYWAY... I digress...

schocker
12-17-2013, 05:40 PM
Damn - I never knew about that one! Good to know - much closer than Crowchild/Kensington one I usually go to lol

I hate spyhill though, they are stupid about drying inside even when it is late and there are no other cars. I prefer bigbucket at crowfoot but you would have an even messier car with all that time on stoney.

zooter
12-18-2013, 04:13 PM
Spyhill is still pretty far to drive for a car wash..I guess if the new gas station in towne centre is petro canada with a glide wash then I'll be purchasing their season pass and washing my cars there every other day...Anyone know if it is actually going to be a Petro Canada?

schocker
12-18-2013, 04:30 PM
spyhill is like 5 minutes away from symons valley road

zooter
12-19-2013, 03:24 PM
Nah its more than that, from a house in Evansridge it alteast 10 min and almost 12 km...

Canucks3322
12-19-2013, 04:40 PM
Damn a lot of Evansridge folks...I always thought the closest was tnt.

Skyline_Addict
12-20-2013, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
Damn a lot of Evansridge folks...I always thought the closest was tnt.

Actually, I think Sandstone Esso is the closer.

A2VR6
12-20-2013, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict

Actually, I think Sandstone Esso is the closer.

That the one i used... unfortunately theres usually a line there...

Kloubek
12-20-2013, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by A2VR6

That the one i used...

Me too. Fortunately, unlike some coin-operated washes there is nobody sitting right there to reject your vehicle if it is say.... a dirty TJ after offroading.

mrsingh
12-20-2013, 05:44 PM
I always go to by T&T for a wand wash, or if I need a quick wash I use the CO-OP touchless drive thru.

flipstah
12-21-2013, 10:45 AM
What Sage Hill needs is lighting from Symons Valley :banghead:

schocker
12-21-2013, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
What Sage Hill needs is lighting from Symons Valley :banghead:
That is what headlights are for!

R!zz0
12-22-2013, 09:13 PM
It's the other drivers that fuck you up. Almost got in to a head on with a semi :banghead: Definitely need street lights there and i don't know why the city is delaying it.

schocker
12-22-2013, 09:36 PM
I think they want to twin that road still. Doesn't really look like there is room for lights right now