PDA

View Full Version : Warming up a transmission that is down a bit of oil

bspot
12-03-2013, 04:08 PM
Here's the situation.

I'm doing an axle change, and lost some fluid when I pulled the axle. The shop had said the put in Redline, but the stuff that came out is clear. No idea what it was, and I wasn't that happy with it anyway.

I want to drain this and put in some redline, but I'm now down a bit of oil. I wouldn't say a ton, maybe 100-200mL at most?

Is that enough that I'm ok to drive the car around to warm up the oil before draining it and putting fresh stuff in?

mr2mike
12-03-2013, 04:17 PM
Automatic or manual?

Assuming manual.
You could open the check/level port. See how low it is. I would say you're ok. But I don't know how much is lost totally. Gears should still be lubricated up and you're not driving it too hard to warm the oil up.

Flush that old stuff out too before you fill. I hate it when shops say they do what you ask and they don't. How hard is it to put in redline over another brand? A trip to the store.

Tik-Tok
12-03-2013, 04:19 PM
Should be ok, but it'll take you at least 3 dumps to get all the old stuff out. When you drain the pan, 1/3 of the fluid is still sitting in the rest of the transmission.

bspot
12-03-2013, 06:39 PM
It's a manual. Thanks for the advice guys!

Tik-Tok
12-03-2013, 06:47 PM
Nevermind then. :)

m10-power
12-03-2013, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by bspot
Here's the situation.

I'm doing an axle change, and lost some fluid when I pulled the axle. The shop had said the put in Redline, but the stuff that came out is clear. No idea what it was, and I wasn't that happy with it anyway.

I want to drain this and put in some redline, but I'm now down a bit of oil. I wouldn't say a ton, maybe 100-200mL at most?

Is that enough that I'm ok to drive the car around to warm up the oil before draining it and putting fresh stuff in?

why do you think it wasnt redline? mt-90 is golden/clear

natty54
12-03-2013, 11:30 PM
you should be fine if you just lost that much. and redline is not red

bspot
12-04-2013, 09:46 AM
I will contact my friend who was adamant it was red and call him a liar :)

CapnCrunch
12-04-2013, 10:15 AM
It's a manual. Thanks for the advice guys!

If it's a manual, you don't need to warm it up. Just let it drain out on its own. (Let it drain longer if you're doing it outside when it's -20 lol)

Tik-Tok
12-04-2013, 10:29 AM
I will contact my friend who was adamant it was red and call him a liar :)

To be fair to him, Redline ATF is red, lol.

Zero102
12-04-2013, 11:04 AM
Redline heavy shockproof is red too :)

Their gear oils however are definitely not red

bspot
12-04-2013, 04:39 PM
Thanks again guys, that is great to know I can just drain it cold and wait forever. I think it's 75w90 and I don't like it as much in the cold, I'm going to try 75w80 which is the updated Volvo recomendation anyway.

I have hacked my way around so many repairs with not much car knowledge or experience thanks to this forum :rofl: