PDA

View Full Version : Inexplicable driving habits.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Seth1968
12-04-2013, 05:29 PM
You know, the kind that you make think, "For the love of god, WHY"?

I'll start with a couple:

1) People who have more than enough time to make their move, but wait until another vehicle is dangerously close to do so.

Example: You're 100ft away from an intersection, but the person on the opposite side of the lights that wants to turn left, waits until you're practically in the intersection to attempt the turn.

2) People in parking lots who exit their stall while only looking to ONE side. This is most common with drivers who get very confused by that pesky "Reverse" maneuver. lol

sxtasy
12-04-2013, 05:33 PM
People who stop in merge lanes!:banghead: Drives me knucking futs!

civic_stylez
12-04-2013, 05:34 PM
The winter months make me wonder the most... seeing some of the tracks in the snow leads me to believe a few things.. 1) People in Calgary love to offroad 2) People in Calgary cant drive 3) Driving in Calgary with the first 2 reasons is scary. 4) What the fuck are these people thinking? "traffic is bad hey?? Time to take the road less traveled"

Sets of tracks just driving halfway up a berm, a bunch of whipped up dead grass over the snow and then thats it... Thats not a spinout, thats a hillbilly.

DeeK
12-04-2013, 05:34 PM
Tailgaters. When we're doing 20km/h over the limit down the road and you are less than a foot off my bumper, where's the fire? why are you in so much of a hurry?

Tik-Tok
12-04-2013, 05:37 PM
People in Costco parking lots, who will sit there for 5 minutes waiting for someone to load their car, and free up a spot, when there's a dozen open stalls open not 10 meters away. This doesn't happen just in -30* blizzarding winter either, it's year fucking round.

Originally posted by DeeK
Tailgaters. When we're doing 20km/h over the limit down the road and you are less than a foot off my bumper, where's the fire? why are you in so much of a hurry?

To add to that, tailgaters who do this when there's a full line of vehicles ahead of you in the same lane, so it's not like you're the one holding them up.

Tej.S
12-04-2013, 05:40 PM
I absolutely despise those who drive ~5-10km under the posted limit and once I switch lanes to get ahead, they feel the need to suddenly start speeding :banghead:

lilmira
12-04-2013, 05:43 PM
Yo-yo drivers, too much gas, brakes, too much gas, brakes.......while I follow behind without touching my brakes once.

desto2para
12-04-2013, 06:00 PM
I'm ok with people cutting me off and continuing to do the speed limit or speeding up, but when they cut you off and slam on their brakes... :banghead:

Ven
12-04-2013, 06:57 PM
Living in the NE I'd be happy if people turned their lights on at night. You can pull right up beside them. Dashboard is black. They have no idea how fast their going or even how much gas they have.

pf0sh0
12-04-2013, 07:33 PM
People who yield at a right turn when the sign specifically says you have your own turning lane, but yet they wait for no traffic so they can turn...

e.g. the exit from Glenmore west to go north on Macleod Trail.

e31
12-04-2013, 07:39 PM
People that freeze up when they encounter flashing lights or sirens and end up blocking emergency traffic. Total seen this year: 1 headscarf, 1 turban and 1 asian.

trieu
12-04-2013, 07:43 PM
People who keep braking with no car in front of them make me rage.

Ven
12-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by pf0sh0
People who yield at a right turn when the sign specifically says you have your own turning lane, but yet they wait for no traffic so they can turn...

Ahh yes, the Right Lane Continues sign. Otherwise known as the 'I don't know what this is so I'll just stop even though I'm still in the same lane and it's just a corner' sign. That is my #fuckingone peeve and an instant horn blast.

sr20s14zenki
12-04-2013, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Ven
Living in the NE I'd be happy if people turned their lights on at night. You can pull right up beside them. Dashboard is black. They have no idea how fast their going or even how much gas they have.

Same here, i encounter atleast one or two of these retards on my drive in. Who doesnt know that their lights arent on. Stupid drls

Axe
12-04-2013, 08:39 PM
People who brake approaching intersections with green lights... presumably "just in case" in turns yellow ???

SKR
12-04-2013, 08:53 PM
People who wait for a 4 way stop to clear before going through. If there's another car across from you and you're both going straight through, or one of you is turning right and the other is going straight through, or you're both turning right, or you're both turning left, or whatever other combination where you're not smashing into each other, just fucking go. Don't be a fuckhead.

Also, people who have right of way but wave you through. I never go for these fuckers. I don't want you to be nice. I want you to follow the rules.

K3RMiTdot
12-04-2013, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Tej.S
I absolutely despise those who drive ~5-10km under the posted limit and once I switch lanes to get ahead, they feel the need to suddenly start speeding :banghead:

or change lanes with you.. -__-

Unknown303
12-05-2013, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by civic_stylez
1) People in Calgary love to offroad

:werd: Damn rights I do.

Originally posted by Ven
Driving in the NE

Fixed.

DeleriousZ
12-05-2013, 12:49 AM
Driving without lights on makes me crazy. If for some reason the conditions make it hard to see your vehicle, like snow, fog or hey.. darkness? then TURN YOUR LIGHTS ON.

Also drivers who insist on going around you and jump back in the lane in front of you in moderate to heavy traffic. I tend to leave a pretty big gap in front of me when I drive, especially in slow or stop go traffic so I can just idle in first. That doesn't mean it's a spot for you to go around me and jump into. You're not going to get where you're going any faster.

Sentry
12-05-2013, 02:02 AM
Does it have to be other drivers' habits?

>come to red light
>check that it's in neutral not once, not twice, but thrice.

theken
12-05-2013, 02:06 AM
when theres been gravel placed on road and it makes it way to the shoulder, let's drive on the shoulder instead of where there is no gravel just to cover the guy behind me with his new windshield with millions of tiny fucking rocks

GenerationX
12-05-2013, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by Ven

Ahh yes, the Right Lane Continues sign. Otherwise known as the 'I don't know what this is so I'll just stop even though I'm still in the same lane and it's just a corner' sign. That is my #fuckingone peeve and an instant horn blast.

To be fair, the one from McKnight onto Barlow right now isn't plowed, so it's just a huge ass drift :P. But in general, that is the fucking worst.

SideSwipe
12-05-2013, 07:20 AM
People who speed through construction zones but don't drive the speed limit when the construction zone ends. They do 90 (if the limit is 60 for example) and then do 90 when the limit is back to 100 or 110.

Tailgating with brights on. I could be traveling at some speed above the limit and I'll get a douche canoe with the brights on, 23mm off my ass. At one point this summer I was tempted to buy a big mirror or those super bright LED lights and mounting them to my roll bar... backwards.

People who try to pass you when their lane is ending and they are about 300 feet behind you. One succeeded and passed me in the shoulder. NO idea why... there was no traffic behind me and he easily could have passed me the conventional way if he wanted to.

People who drive slower in the left lane than the people in the middle or 'slow' lane on the highway. Everyone does it now. It's a new rule I guess.

heavyfuel
12-05-2013, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by SideSwipe

People who try to pass you when their lane is ending and they are about 300 feet behind you. One succeeded and passed me in the shoulder. NO idea why... there was no traffic behind me and he easily could have passed me the conventional way if he wanted to.

That's typical Calgarian driver dick swinging "my car is faster and my time is more valuable than yours" behavior. I take sadistic pleasure in blocking the lane and rolling coal when I see some fuckwad (usually in a BMW) coming up fast on the right in an ending lane. Then when they're ahead of me I flip on all 4 KC's and make sure I stay behind them lol HOW DO YOU LIKE ME NOW hahah give em something to talk about at the dinner table lmao can't wait for the day when one of these retards speeds away from my blinding lights right into a radar trap, I'd literally stop and wave lol

bjstare
12-05-2013, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Sentry

>come to red light

Was I the only one that thought of this right away?
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/869968/burns.JPG

:rofl:

Also, I'm pretty sure the idiots that stop going from Glenmore WB to Macleod NB get mentioned in every single thread like this. It is an instant horn honk for me as well, and I just lean on it til they drive away.

klumsy_tumbler
12-05-2013, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by SideSwipe

Tailgating with brights on. I could be traveling at some speed above the limit and I'll get a douche canoe with the brights on, 23mm off my ass. At one point this summer I was tempted to buy a big mirror or those super bright LED lights and mounting them to my roll bar... backwards.

I totally agree. Just as a side-note, electrochromic mirrors help with this :)

But when people do this, lots of times I will move my passenger mirror so that their own lights are reflected right back into their face. Usually the get the hint, and quickly too.

On the flip side, there are some drivers with larger vehicles that are concious of how their lights affect drivers in smaller vehicles. The drivers that turn their lights OFF while we're sitting at the lights to avoid blinding me? I like those guys :thumbsup:

One of my other pet-peeves is being behind a driver that is riding their brakes down a hill (I'm looking at you, Sarcee South...)

CapnCrunch
12-05-2013, 10:04 AM
I hate threads like these. It just makes me angry.

Mitsu3000gt
12-05-2013, 10:33 AM
1) People yielding/stopping at these signs:

http://rlv.zcache.com/added_lane_right_highway_sign_cards-r392c613aeb894187a8accaa7d74fa1b0_xvuat_8byvr_512.jpg

2) People who slow down to a crawl to change lanes immediately after merging onto a road, even though they don't need that other lane to turn from for several KM. They NEED to move over 4 lanes within 100M, just so that 5KM later, they are in the convenient lane to take their exit.

Sentry
12-05-2013, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by cjblair
Was I the only one that thought of this right away?
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/869968/burns.JPG

Hahah yes!

botox
12-05-2013, 11:59 AM
I used to be a delivery driver and had a 2m candle power flashlight in my car to look at house numbers and I would beam it as anyone, in front or behind me with their high lights on.

I hate all the people who drive ridiculously slow in bad weather. You have some dumbass in a SUV going up a steepish hill too slow and it causes others to get stuck cause they don't have enough speed to get up the slippery slope. People need to realize that if they are going 30km/hr, the cars behind are going slower than that. I had to push out the same person a couple of times Tuesday because they weren't going fast enough to get through some of the drifts.

avishal26
12-05-2013, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

2) People who slow down to a crawl to change lanes immediately after merging onto a road, even though they don't need that other lane to turn from for several KM. They NEED to move over 4 lanes within 100M, just so that 5KM later, they are in the convenient lane to take their exit.

^ THIS! Happens to me every morning commute on Deerfoot. And when you have to slam on your brakes to slow down for the moron and you honk - they look at you like WTF....

Also, when out of the city, people who pass in the fast lane on TransCanada at exactly 1kmh faster than the vehicle in the right lane!

AND people who drive trucks and put HID bulbs in their regular headlight housing (that is made for halogen bulbs)!! Like for f**ks sake - if you can afford to gas up your truck every week then you can afford to get proper headlight housings for your HIDs!!!!!:whipped:

ercchry
12-05-2013, 02:03 PM
when you are coming up to pass two cars on the highway, and the car in the back... who is going 1km/h faster than the guy in front of him decides he needs to pass RIGHT NOW.... cause you know, if he doesnt get in front of you he will NEVER be able to make that pass... :nut:

Orbie
12-05-2013, 02:49 PM
I hate unnecessary use of my brakes, so for me it's people who creep to a stop at a red light with 2-3 car lengths of space between them and the car in front. Then when, and only when, everyone behind them has come to a stop, they start inching forward to fill in that space, causing everyone else behind to have to go forward a small amount and brake again, otherwise you're the idiot that left a bus length in the stop line. Or worse yet when that person doesn't fill in that space in one go, they stop and go multiple times to cover the unncessary space :banghead:If you're driving a manual this is a pain in the ass too.

bulaian
12-05-2013, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Axe
People who brake approaching intersections with green lights... presumably "just in case" in turns yellow ???

I almost rear ended some asshole who did this in front of me yesterday in a flashing turning light

Hallowed_point
12-05-2013, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Orbie
I hate unnecessary use of my brakes, so for me it's people who creep to a stop at a red light with 2-3 car lengths of space between them and the car in front. Then when, and only when, everyone behind them has come to a stop, they start inching forward to fill in that space, causing everyone else behind to have to go forward a small amount and brake again, otherwise you're the idiot that left a bus length in the stop line. Or worse yet when that person doesn't fill in that space in one go, they stop and go multiple times to cover the unncessary space :banghead:If you're driving a manual this is a pain in the ass too.

:clap: :banghead: Totally agree with you.

beyond_ban
12-05-2013, 04:26 PM
I came here with a list of complaints, but everything has been listed and now I am experiencing slight feelings of road rage, although I'm not even driving.

Mixalot27
12-05-2013, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Orbie

When I took my driver training with Young Drivers of Canada, this is exactly what they taught us to do. It is in case the guy behind you is unable to stop, then you can move up and possibly avoid being rear ended. For the record I don't do this. But every time I see someone do it I wonder if they are Young Drivers of Canada graduates.

btimbit
12-05-2013, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
I came here with a list of complaints, but everything has been listed and now I am experiencing slight feelings of road rage, although I'm not even driving.

Same here, and agree with capncrunch. This thread pisses me off:rofl:

JaffX
12-05-2013, 07:06 PM
I hate god damn people that drive like 90 km/h on the far left lane on deerfoot on a good day :whipped:

sr20s14zenki
12-05-2013, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Sentry

>come to red light

I too am a shifter shaker =(

jwslam
12-05-2013, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
Yo-yo drivers, too much gas, brakes, too much gas, brakes.......while I follow behind without touching my brakes once.
I swear it's like people forget which pedal does what!
One lane down Hwy1 from Vancouver is like 130-80-130-80
And when you finally pass them it's some ugly fat chick on a cell phone.

DeleriousZ
12-05-2013, 11:15 PM
To the fine young gentleman in the r32 vw, yes I also drive a volkswagen, yes it's lowered. No, I don't care if you rev at me and lay on the gas in the city streets. Just because we drive the same kind of car doesn't make us buddies.

beyond_ban
12-05-2013, 11:24 PM
VDub club brah get on my level dog. yolo

AE92_TreunoSC
12-05-2013, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Mixalot27

When I took my driver training with Young Drivers of Canada, this is exactly what they taught us to do. It is in case the guy behind you is unable to stop, then you can move up and possibly avoid being rear ended. For the record I don't do this. But every time I see someone do it I wonder if they are Young Drivers of Canada graduates.

I do it as well, I wait until I'm sure the guy behind me can stop before I get too close, or in a rear end situation you are liable for damage caused to the car in front of you, hence the thread created

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/377133/whats-quotfailing-to-provide-sufficent-room-to-manouverquot/

Who gives a fuck about inching up, I care about safety first, not inconvenience for the cars behind me.

DeleriousZ
12-06-2013, 12:26 AM
I also stop then move up. But I don't inch up, I stop short, wait for the person behind me to slow down to the point i know they wont' ram me, then move up to normal position behind the car in front. I've got a standard so it's in my best interest to keep the inching to a minimum.

K3RMiTdot
12-06-2013, 12:42 AM
people who turn out onto the road and take both lanes...

firebane
12-06-2013, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by K3RMiTdot
people who turn out onto the road and take both lanes...

In the middle of winter on a icy street without stopping at the stop sign and almost taking you out and not even looking and being totally oblivious.

sr20s14zenki
12-06-2013, 08:10 AM
Just remembered one of my all time biggest ones, because it happened to me this morning....again.

People that dont get into the appropriate lane on a dual turn lane, or people that use the other lane as a means to gain one car space. Every morning going to tims in airdrie, this happens. Its dual turn lane, so im in the right lane, front of the line, and a car pulls up in the left, and sure enough, guns it as soon as the light turns green and pulls in front of me to get to tims before me.

:banghead:

Mibz
12-06-2013, 08:18 AM
Somebody was clearly upset that I was speeding on Stoney this morning, so I'll go ahead and put "Maniacs that go over the posted speed limit" in here for them.

avishal26
12-06-2013, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Just remembered one of my all time biggest ones, because it happened to me this morning....again.

People that dont get into the appropriate lane on a dual turn lane, or people that use the other lane as a means to gain one car space. Every morning going to tims in airdrie, this happens. Its dual turn lane, so im in the right lane, front of the line, and a car pulls up in the left, and sure enough, guns it as soon as the light turns green and pulls in front of me to get to tims before me.

Happens everyday turning from Macleod south to SunValley East where all the EPCs are located. Everyone has to go right (south) on Sunpark Gate but half the people turn left from Macleod in the wrong lane. Even though there are two right turns you can take from Sun Valley that will get you to the same place. (ie Sunpark Dr SE)

If there are too many cars in the right hand side of the two lane left turn, then I go in the left lane so that I don't have to wait for 3 light changes, but take the second right turn to Sunpark Dr instead of Sunpark Gate - WHY IS THAT SO HARD EPOPLE!?!?!?

FraserB
12-06-2013, 09:02 AM
- Intersection of Bonaventure and Heritage, lady turning left from NB Bonaventure to WB Heritage runs a very red light. She knew it too since I waited a second or two after I got my advance green to turn left from WB Heritage to NB Bonaventure, as soon as I started moving, she goes too. When I get on the horn, she decides the best course of action is to stop in the intersection. She finally moves and almost smokes someone turning from EB Heritage to NB Bonaventure. It’s a real shame someone didn’t hit her, would have been very happy to take her right to the police station there and drop off my dashcam footage.

- Turning left from the street next to the McDonalds onto 18th in Riverbend. The guy in front of me decides to stop at the green light. Then he pulls a dual turn into the right lane, cutting someone off. Then he drives half the speed limit on 18th, even though it is clear. Then runs a red light.

- Coming out of my community this morning from 75th to 14th. Car in front of me passes up 3 easy breaks in traffic to merge, so I cut around him since I had left plenty of space to do just that. As I pass him, he is just hammering on the gas since his front tires are spinning like crazy and he’s not moving. This happens 2-3 times every week, people are just not comfortable merging into traffic I guess.

- Coming out of Quarry Park last night and the guy in front of me is leaving a good 40’ of space between him and the car in front. Every time a car pulls in front of him, he drops back to keep that distance. On the ramp to Glenmore, the car in front of him is halfway down before he starts to go. 18th is pretty much clear now and no ice.

The new triple turn at 14th and 90th is going to be hilarious to watch. Even with the lane markings already down, the people turning from the middle lane are still going to the inside curb lane on 14th. Can’t wait for the inside curb lane to open on 90th and the accidents to start piling up.

Tik-Tok
12-07-2013, 02:21 PM

When I took my driver training with Young Drivers of Canada, this is exactly what they taught us to do. It is in case the guy behind you is unable to stop, then you can move up and possibly avoid being rear ended.

This could explain my next annoyance.

People who stop so far back from other cars, that you can't get into your turning lane to make the light.

and also,

People who stop so far back from an intersection, that they don't trigger the sensor, so the light never changes.

vengie
12-07-2013, 02:40 PM
High Beam hero's... that little blue light that comes on when your highbeams are on DOES NOT MEAN YOUR REGULAR LIGHTS ARE ON! I see this far too often.

gyu
12-07-2013, 02:46 PM
People who don't take advantage of the downhill ramps merging onto highways, why wait until you're at the very bottom before you start accelerating? Use the ramp to pick up speed so by the time you're at the bottom you're already going 100km/h!

CompletelyNumb
12-07-2013, 02:58 PM

All defensive driving courses will teach you to leave room in front of you when you stop at an intersection behind another vehicle. For both safety, in case you need to get out of the way of a car, and in case the guy in front of you breaks down, you have enough room to get by him safely.

Hate it when retarded city drivers come to a stop within inches of each other like it will somehow get them closer to their destination.

lrn2drive

Boosted131
12-07-2013, 03:23 PM
People who drive slower than me
people who drive faster than me

heavyfuel
12-07-2013, 03:33 PM
The fuckin idiot in the BMW last night, at the lights WB on Richmond Road at Sarcee, to my left in the TURNING LANE who JUST HAD to make it a point to get in front of me. So I made it a point to flick on all 4 KC's and stay behind him until he turned left onto Sierra Morena Blvd.

sr20s14zenki
12-07-2013, 03:55 PM
I think George Carlin had it right, IF they drive slower than you, they are a moron, if they drive faster than you, they are a freaking maniac.

Maxt
12-07-2013, 09:28 PM
I don't know what some people are thinking when they do this but it irritates the hell out of me. I'll be driving along in traffic, I'll be the last vehicle in that lane and some pinhead will come up from behind in the other lane, then throw on the signal and try to push in front of me because they need the next right or left hand turn. They can't slow slightly to get in behind they HAVE to push in between the last vehicle and the second last..:banghead: .. And then they slow down to make the turn and I have to wait for them.. It happens so much, I have now just started completely closing the gap, and I just laugh and wave when they flip me the bird and lay on their horn..

FraserB
12-07-2013, 09:39 PM
You don't close the gap. You match their speed and pretend not to notice their indicator or attempts to change lanes.

WB Glenmore by Deerfoot is especially bad for this where it goes down to 2 lanes from 3. Hilarious to see people zoom up the outside lane and then have a meltdown when they can't force their way into the middle lane once theirs ends.

Sugarphreak
12-07-2013, 09:47 PM

firebane
12-08-2013, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Why, oh why do people slow down when they change lanes... instead of matching the speed of the other lane and seamlessly moving into it, they slow down suddenly and without reason forcing people behind them to drop 20km's off their speed, then they wait until the last second and move into the other lane right in front of a car which is going much quicker.

haha, I too have a slight annoyed feeling now reading this thread!

My girlfriend used to be bad for this then one day I told her to quit being so paranoid about the vehicles in the other lane and just go.

Her lane changes have gotten much better.

snowcat
12-08-2013, 01:18 PM
When you can see the lane makers, but choose not to drive in your lane but choose the dry tarmac spot that takes up two lanes because they don't in the snow.

egmilano
12-08-2013, 01:31 PM
I hate when cars turn on a red light, then become stuck in the middle of an intersection.

dubhead
12-08-2013, 01:31 PM
Since I started splitting my time between Calgary and Edmonton I find the most annoying thing on the highway seems to be people flying up and getting right on my ass while I'm passing people, then when I get over so they can pass they just linger back there and slowly pass me. Of course they never get passed me before I have to slow down behind the next driver in the slow lane :banghead:

kirberman
12-09-2013, 03:12 PM
Here is something not mentioned yet that I always see. Someone who needs to change lanes will only signal at the specific point in time they want to change. If they signal and there is no space at the time, they will cancel the signal and wait for a space. Or worse move up/slow down and then turn the signal on again right before cutting someone off. Why don't they just leave the turn signal on instead of surprising the next person with a sudden lane change?

I catch myself doing this once in a while and I think it is because Calgary drivers are so reluctant on letting people in. But this just doesn't seem logical.

schocker
12-09-2013, 03:25 PM
People from Royal Oak and Rocky Ridge can't merge on stoney worth shit :banghead:
Oh hey, It was 60 and I am exciting onto crowchild, I will remain at 60.

rage2
12-09-2013, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by kirberman
Here is something not mentioned yet that I always see. Someone who needs to change lanes will only signal at the specific point in time they want to change. If they signal and there is no space at the time, they will cancel the signal and wait for a space. Or worse move up/slow down and then turn the signal on again right before cutting someone off. Why don't they just leave the turn signal on instead of surprising the next person with a sudden lane change?

I catch myself doing this once in a while and I think it is because Calgary drivers are so reluctant on letting people in. But this just doesn't seem logical.
It's the only way to change lanes if you drive a Mercedes or BMW. :rofl:

Seriously, I use my signals properly, 90% of the people close the gap, so I'm either holding up traffic for a while, or I have my damn blinkers on for a long ass time. Frustrating as hell. See a gap? Signal and move in before they realize what's up. Calgary drivers are all about winning the rush hour race so nobody lets people in.

For the record, I let anyone in that signals.

Mibz
12-09-2013, 03:26 PM

I catch myself doing this once in a while and I think it is because Calgary drivers are so reluctant on letting people in. But this just doesn't seem logical. My wife does this and I call her on it every time. She stresses out because there's not enough room to change lanes, meanwhile she doesn't have her signal on.

CapnCrunch
12-09-2013, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by dubhead
Since I started splitting my time between Calgary and Edmonton I find the most annoying thing on the highway seems to be people flying up and getting right on my ass while I'm passing people, then when I get over so they can pass they just linger back there and slowly pass me. Of course they never get passed me before I have to slow down behind the next driver in the slow lane :banghead:

That reminds me,

When I'm driving on the highway in the slow lane, someone comes flying up on me right on my ass, then instead of changing lanes and going around me, just rides behind me, then falls way back, then speeding up right on my bumper, then falling way back again. WTF ARE YOU DOING?!?!?

dubhead
12-09-2013, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

That reminds me,

When I'm driving on the highway in the slow lane, someone comes flying up on me right on my ass, then instead of changing lanes and going around me, just rides behind me, then falls way back, then speeding up right on my bumper, then falling way back again. WTF ARE YOU DOING?!?!?

Or the opposite you go to pass them and they decide to speed up and get way ahead so you get back in the slow lane and presto they slow down and you catch up again. Seriously doesn't cruise control come standard on most vehicles these days? :dunno:

Isaiah
12-09-2013, 11:24 PM

I catch myself doing this once in a while and I think it is because Calgary drivers are so reluctant on letting people in. But this just doesn't seem logical. I'll always let in anyone who signals unless they refuse to take the obvious gap at which point I just continue on.

However, if I signal an someone closes the gap just go be a jerk about it, I'll either pull the flash and go as described or Gina a vehicle ahead of them and get in. If you box people out, it's probably cause that's what's happening to you at home every night.

CapnCrunch
12-10-2013, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by schocker
People from Royal Oak and Rocky Ridge can't merge on stoney worth shit :banghead:

+1

heavyfuel
12-10-2013, 08:59 AM

Bing-fuck-ee-o! Every Calgary driver is more important than the next, and everyone else on the road. I make sure I have a safe gap and signal at the last possible second, and I even take it a step further, right before I signal I look in the rearview opposite of the lane I'm changing into. Never mind signaling, people see you glance at the rearview and they make every attempt to close the gap.

lilmira
12-10-2013, 09:33 AM

Hey, SOME people from Royal Oak and Rocky Ridge. While some people can't drive on Crowchild, I have to slow down to merge. :nut:

JRSC00LUDE
12-10-2013, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by heavyfuel
Never mind signaling, people see you glance at the rearview and they make every attempt to close the gap.

Oh Ziggy, will you ever win? :(

Lex350
12-10-2013, 10:29 AM

this! this! this!....the simgle biggest thing on the road that will put me into a rage. The worst is heading south bound on stoney from Country Hills. People merge so slow when there are two lanes coming at them at a minimum of 100kms. There is going to be a nasty crack up there sometime soon.

Tik-Tok
12-11-2013, 05:09 PM
People who create a massive line-up in the right lane on Macleod, even though they aren't turning off for kms, making it impossible for anyone to get onto Macleod. Meanwhile there's barely anyone in the middle/left lanes.

Mibz
12-11-2013, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
People who create a massive line-up in the right lane on Macleod, even though they aren't turning off for kms, making it impossible for anyone to get onto Macleod. Meanwhile there's barely anyone in the middle/left lanes. Ironic that the behaviour you want on Deerfoot and Stoney is detrimental on other roads, eh?

youngdoc
12-11-2013, 05:46 PM
Or to add - the people that want to make a right onto Macloed but won't turn into the closest lane because they need to make a left 27 blocks down and figure a couple lane changes afterwards is a ridiculous idea :confused:

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
People who create a massive line-up in the right lane on Macleod, even though they aren't turning off for kms, making it impossible for anyone to get onto Macleod. Meanwhile there's barely anyone in the middle/left lanes.

Mibz
12-11-2013, 08:41 PM
People in a lane that goes left or straight that don't use their fucking signal until the light turns green, so you line up behind them thinking "I don't want to get in the right lane and block people from turning right" but then fucko in front of you is actually turning left and you have to wait for the now long line of cars in the right lane to pass you so you can move over and pass the person in the left that doesn't realize what a signal is for.

Not that I just had this happen or anything.

haggis88
12-11-2013, 08:58 PM
Seen a few people mention they get pissed if people stay in the left lane in traffic then move in at the end of the lane

i took Advanced Driver Training in the UK, and this is taught to us when learning too. You use all the space available and "MERGE IN TURN".

Why everyone moves into the right lanes when the left lane doesn't end for like 800-1000m just puzzles me...one place I notice this is prominent is on Deerfoot S just after 16th Ave offramp, there's a good 800m before the lane ends and no-one is in it. If traffic lined up in all lanes and merged in turn the traffic would flow faster (or it should, perhaps the rush-hour race that was mentioned earlier would negate this.)

The only other thing that springs to mind is when coming onto Harvest Hills Blvd South from Stoney, it's a 60 zone from the flyover right down...then afterwards goes into two lane.s people put the foot down and go flying past at 80/90 then slam on the brakes when they see the second 60 sign and keep them on all the way down the hill....what's the point?!

Otherwise everything else that annoys me on Calgary's roads has been mentioned

Isaiah
12-12-2013, 12:55 AM
I enjoy it when there's a close call and the other driver or pedestrian goes buck wild.

Example: driving downtown and some clueless pedestrian on their phone steps onto the road and comes within inches of death. You manage to stop just in time but the moron loses his shit and starts yelling profanities while flipping a flock of birds.

The guy's life just got spared and he's this upset? Would he have preferred the alternative? Getting smoked by a car and suffering a combination of brain injury, paralysis, internal haemorrhaging, or even death?

People who lose it behind the wheel need to get a grip.

EK69
12-12-2013, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
People in a lane that goes left or straight that don't use their fucking signal until the light turns green, so you line up behind them thinking "I don't want to get in the right lane and block people from turning right" but then fucko in front of you is actually turning left and you have to wait for the now long line of cars in the right lane to pass you so you can move over and pass the person in the left that doesn't realize what a signal is for.

Not that I just had this happen or anything.

this :whipped: :banghead: :nut: :guns:

also annoying...
ppl who are going under the speed limit (while you are going at or slightly above and coming up fast in the adjacent lane) and then the slow fucker decides to cut into your lane without looking in his rear view and noticing that since you are catching up pretty fast he should probably just let you pass him before switching into your lane....

:guns:

CapnCrunch
12-12-2013, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by haggis88

Why everyone moves into the right lanes when the left lane doesn't end for like 800-1000m just puzzles me...

In Calgary drivers are taught under any circumstances, never let anyone merge in front of you into your lane. Even if this means tailgating at 110 on the highway to block them out.

avishal26
12-12-2013, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

In Calgary drivers are taught under any circumstances, never let anyone merge in front of you into your lane. Even if this means tailgating at 110 on the highway to block them out.

Another one to add to the list, people who turn left or right on one way streets downtown that feel the need to occupy 1.5 lanes before making the turn.. WTF@! You don't need that much space for yourself to make a turn... you're not driving a semi.

heavyD
12-12-2013, 10:02 AM
I've noticed lately that a lot of drivers are driving very close to the center lines on double lane roads rather than staying in the center of their lane. Can't recall how many times I'm traveling past the slower lane and their car is within inches from the side of my car as they have their car to the far edge of their lane almost into mine. That combined with Calgarian's general penchant for not signalling when they change lanes makes it difficult to estimate if they are slowly changing lanes or just have issues keeping within the lines. Really annoying and starting to become more common place.

haggis88
12-12-2013, 10:03 AM
i realised i made a mistake there, i should have said "moving into the left lanes when the right lane doesn't end for 800-1000m"

bignerd
12-12-2013, 07:23 PM
People passing on the shoulder when you are doing over the speed limit and are actively passing a slower vehicle only for them to cut back across traffic and take the next exit 1 km down the road.

Always stunned when this happens even though nothing should really be surprising anymore.

Hallowed_point
12-12-2013, 08:16 PM
People who treat turning on a red light like a yield sign..even better when they don't even look left before accelerating. I've just about been rear ended by idiots because I'll actually STOP before turning right on a red.. :confused:

GQBalla
12-12-2013, 09:43 PM
Pretty much everything that was being said. But the true one is the dual/triple turning lanes. Do people not know how to follow the dotted lines in the road?

SlickA70
12-13-2013, 12:20 AM
People who switch into your lane apply brake for no reason.

People who use turn signal during or after there lane switch or turn rather then before.

People with highbeams on / No lights on.

People in middle of two lanes.

Any and all taxi drivers.

theken
12-13-2013, 12:53 AM
every single person that has been on the roads for the last week....omfg I want to kill people. I drove to red deer, everybody was going well under the speed limit on completely dry roads. people in the left lane going 80, I have a hard time with this, i get really mad when someone is passing someone going 70 in a 110 and they pass at 80...:guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: :guns: deerfoot has been fine for a few days and nobody can seem to go 100, or stay in their lane.

speedmaster
12-17-2013, 04:49 PM

Every morning going to tims in airdrie, this happens. Its dual turn lane, so im in the right lane, front of the line, and a car pulls up in the left, and sure enough, guns it as soon as the light turns green and pulls in front of me to get to tims before me.

People in fast cars shouldn't be punished by people who drive slow cars. LOL!

amear
12-18-2013, 02:17 AM

LOL I do that all the time, in the same intersection your talking about:rofl:

Sorry if I've ever done it to you and if I have ill probably do it again. LOL (not to be a dick or anything just a heads up):D

amear
12-18-2013, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by speedmaster

People in fast cars shouldn't be punished by people who drive slow cars. LOL!
Its not about being in a fast car or a slow car, the turn lanes just shorter when your in the far left turning lane. People in the right turning lane have to take a wider turn so the car in the inner lane has enough room to turn into their lane.

atgilchrist
12-18-2013, 09:32 PM
Albertan drivers on the two lane highways out here... "Leeteeda, doing 160. Oh, a corner. Whelp, best slow down to 60 specifically to piss off That nice looking gentleman in the car behind me!" Grrrrrr

Not accusing any Beyonders though...

Also, simultaneous peddlers. If you're accelerating and your brake lights are on - you're doing it wrong.

120Comm
12-18-2013, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by atgilchrist
Also, simultaneous peddlers. If you're accelerating and your brake lights are on - you're doing it wrong.

There are also people who seem to think they have to have one pedal depressed at all times. They accelerate away from a light then stomp on the brakes, then accelerate again, then brake again, etc.

tehwegz
12-19-2013, 01:10 AM
I have inexplicable moments where I drive like an obnoxious douche...I can't help it sometimes.

I think I need help.

v2kai
12-19-2013, 01:40 AM
people who are driving along at a decent pace, but when they cross a bridge or overpass that looks icy or has a little bit of snow on it decide to brake rather than just keep going or if they really needed to scrub off some speed could just ease off and roll. Trying to slow down on the part of the road with the least amount of traction and shifting the weight of your vehicle around is the worst idea and timing ever :banghead: There's no intersection or lights on the other side of the bridge/overpass why all of a sudden the urge to slow down!?

Bonus, now everyone else behind you, now also on the low traction portion of the road, gets to try and stop as well cuz dumbass in front lost his nuts. If you were that scared of going over the slightly snowy or icy bridge or overpass slow down before you're on it :banghead: