PDA

View Full Version : Indoor roller rinks?

heavyfuel
12-04-2013, 07:03 PM
I couldn't find anything on Google, does anyone know if Lloyd's is the only indoor roller rink in Calgary? I miss rollerblading already but Lloyd's is kinda lame IMO, anything else out there?

speedog
12-04-2013, 08:34 PM
Lloyds is the only game in town - got to go late to have a rink with no kids, after nine.

heavyfuel
12-04-2013, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Lloyds is the only game in town - got to go late to have a rink with no kids, after nine.

Yup weekends from 9-close it's decent, except for the shitty music and unknown concept of switching directions every now and again lol turning left gets old after 500 laps or so.

speedog
12-04-2013, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by heavyfuel
Yup weekends from 9-close it's decent, except for the shitty music and unknown concept of switching directions every now and again lol turning left gets old after 500 laps or so.
So switch to skates, learn to do tricks and such. Some of the old guys and gals there are quite amazing on skates.

heavyfuel
12-04-2013, 09:32 PM

So switch to skates, learn to do tricks and such. Some of the old guys and gals there are quite amazing on skates.

Lol I'm gonna go with no although yeah it is quite impressive to watch.

kvg
12-04-2013, 09:38 PM
Strollin for some girls?

http://media.giphy.com/media/34I09FCe7fq1y/giphy.gif

heavyfuel
12-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by kvg
Strollin for some girls?

http://media.giphy.com/media/34I09FCe7fq1y/giphy.gif

They got summer girls year round there. Summer 13, summer 14 lol and some hot moms too hahah

MalibuStacy
12-05-2013, 12:57 AM
Nah I imagine this is more what heavyfuel is going for :rofl:
http://stock71.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/3057549690_22a49fa792.jpg

heavyfuel
12-05-2013, 07:53 AM
Shit... shouldn't have asked about roller rinks now my double life is starting to be exposed... darn.

It'd prolly be easier to pick up dudes in that place anyways haha girls+sports=don't waste your time lmao

reiRei
12-05-2013, 10:51 AM
I'll just leave this here...

C_Dave45
09-03-2016, 12:53 PM

Bumping an old thread. We are attending a birthday party at Lloyds tomorrow. Roller skating was my life all through my teens and even 20's. My wife and I met at a roller rink in Lynden, Washington and went there regularly for years!!

I had my own custom made pair of roller skates, with expensive wheels and german bearings, and would often skate all over downtown Vancouver, Stanley Park etc. This was WAY before roller 'blading' was a thing. Everyone stared at us like we were freaks.
But I could roller skate as well as I could ice skate.

Question: What is the ratio of old time roller skates vs roller blades at Lloyds? Has anyone been there recently?

I want to rent roller skates, but will I be laughed at? (there ya go...you can knock that one outta the park! :rofl: )

03ozwhip
09-03-2016, 01:08 PM
ya Rollerland was my spot in the late 80s to mid 90s. alot of shit happened there, I guess it's no surprise being that it's smack dab in the middle of forest lawn lol

I don't have any answers to your question, just brought back some memories, I grew up there well into the 90s, plus early 2000s before it closed, it turned into rave central.

I miss those days, I was bad ass on some skates haha

dirtsniffer
09-03-2016, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

Bumping an old thread. We are attending a birthday party at Lloyds tomorrow. Roller skating was my life all through my teens and even 20's. My wife and I met at a roller rink in Lynden, Washington and went there regularly for years!!

I had my own custom made pair of roller skates, with expensive wheels and german bearings, and would often skate all over downtown Vancouver, Stanley Park etc. This was WAY before roller 'blading' was a thing. Everyone stared at us like we were freaks.
But I could roller skate as well as I could ice skate.

Question: What is the ratio of old time roller skates vs roller blades at Lloyds? Has anyone been there recently?

I want to rent roller skates, but will I be laughed at? (there ya go...you can knock that one outta the park! :rofl: )

Last time I was there it was a pretty even split, you won't be out of place for sure. Have a blast!

C_Dave45
09-03-2016, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer

Last time I was there it was a pretty even split, you won't be out of place for sure. Have a blast!
Awesome!!! I'm so excited!!!
:clap:

D'z Nutz
09-04-2016, 11:49 PM
So what did the ratio end up being like? It's been a few years since I've been to Lloyd's, but the last time I was there I'm pretty sure I was the only one with rollerblades haha

C_Dave45
09-05-2016, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
So what did the ratio end up being like? It's been a few years since I've been to Lloyd's, but the last time I was there I'm pretty sure I was the only one with rollerblades haha
It was about 50/50. I forgot how much fun it was. I haven't roller skated since the mid 80's. That's how I met my wife. There was a large group that would go down to Lynden WA every single Sunday. Because it was illegal to dance in Lynden, (yes, think "Footloose") the roller rink was packed every weekend. It was the best way to meet girls and get close for the "couples" skate.

It was like riding a bike. It's funny cuz my son has never roller skated or bladed. He tried roller skates first but he found that too hard. Went for roller blades and was a little more comfortable. (He can ice skate a bit)
I think I'll be going back.
Although I did get my confidence knocked down a peg. I was zipping all over the place, weaving, doing double-toe stops, showing off as my wife laughed. Then at the very end I'm standing on the carpeted area and both feet went out from under me. WHAM!! flat on my ass but not before I broke the fall with my wrist.
I'm going for x-rays this morning. :facepalm:

C_Dave45
09-05-2016, 04:24 PM
Idiot!!

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/20160905_152815_zpsykuwpkgu.jpg

ExtraSlow
09-05-2016, 04:45 PM
Shit Dave, if it wasn't for bad luck, you'd have no luck at all.

C_Dave45
09-05-2016, 05:07 PM
At least it's my left hand, and not my Scaphoid bone. Two weeks. I'll be back to break something else!! Shouldn't slow me down too badly. Except golf. Dammit. :whipped:

D'z Nutz
09-05-2016, 05:14 PM
Oh man, sorry to hear that Dave!

Dave be all like

nbFrZp289Fc

C_Dave45
09-05-2016, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Dave be all like....

ROFL....Well played. :rofl: