PDA

View Full Version : Learn me - volvo x-country's

AndyL
12-04-2013, 07:51 PM
Ok... Wife wrecked the 4runner... Talking replacement...

Half thinking a volvo x country wagon (xc70). Anyone want to tune me up - on the good/bad/what to watch for? Probably going to be the second generation 00-07's...

Thanks in advance,

Andy

prae
12-04-2013, 08:01 PM
The windshields on them can be inordinately expensive. My parents owned an 04 between 2006-2013 and I believe they paid something ridiculous like $1200 for an OEM windshield.

Otherwise- i believe the front coil springs broke, which is apparently a common problem (http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?7779-Broken-coil-spring).

If you were thinking about adding a hitch- its a very involved install and again I think my dad paid in excess of 1000 to get the oem class III hitch installed.

The 5 cyl was a pretty decent motor- but keep in mind turbo maintenance.

corsvette
12-04-2013, 08:37 PM
Watch out for oil leaks. The PCV systems are very complex and tend to plug up, this takes a toll on the engine seals (mainly rear main) Expensive to fix the rear mains.

Raxo
12-04-2013, 09:09 PM
Make sure the 4WD is working.

Do a test drive until the automatic transmission has reached it's operating temperature and see how the shifts feel. Check the oil for colour and smell as well. Sounds like a standard thing, but it's crucial with Volvos - if the previous owner hadn't changed the oil (because the japs might have said that about their AW55-50 transmission that "youu noot need change oil, very good foor all life"), the valve body might be worn and cause really annoying bumps on 2-3 and 3-4 shifts. Personal experience.

Check if the instrument panel works correctly and lights up. If the clock is running wild, the contacts need resoldering.

kvg
12-04-2013, 09:18 PM
Don't buy one, unless your OK with insanely expensive repairs and maintenance.

bookem
12-04-2013, 11:26 PM
I sold my '04 XC70 last year and I won't go back (had it since 08). Beautiful cars, comfortable ride and nice amenities but I couldn't swallow the $4000 annual maintenance. Every component of those cars is controlled by an ECM and very expensive to even diagnose, let alone repair.

Ven
12-05-2013, 08:35 AM
Do not buy one. The maintenance costs are astronomical. You could lease a new one for what you'll end up paying for service and repairs calculated annually.

Waldi
12-05-2013, 09:47 AM
My wife is on the second XC, got first one new and kept for 8 years, no issues and very dependable car. She would not go for anything else but volvo after first so we got second one, (new) to replace 8 years old. No isues so far (4 years) and wife loves performance, especially in the winter time. We do all maintenance on time and car is in the garaged all time.

Isaiah
12-05-2013, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Waldi
My wife is on the second XC, got first one new and kept for 8 years, no issues and very dependable car. She would not go for anything else but volvo after first so we got second one, (new) to replace 8 years old. No isues so far (4 years) and wife loves performance, especially in the winter time. We do all maintenance on time and car is in the garaged all time. Your experience seems to be the exception. How many km does she put on in a year?

AndyL
12-05-2013, 09:59 AM
I've read it everywhere... You'll get 1-2 "never have a problem" to every 3-4 "POS" - partly why Im asking...

Now where's cancer_man's answer - because I might just be sticking him with the bullshit part of the work ;)

kvg
12-05-2013, 11:28 AM
My parents Volvo runs great, but the cost to keep it that way are mind blowing. One example the crazy repair costs is the power seat needed a cable replaced and that was over $900 to repair :nut:

Waldi
12-05-2013, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah
Your experience seems to be the exception. How many km does she put on in a year?

.. I would guess between 20-30K

Waldi
12-05-2013, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by kvg
My parents Volvo runs great, but the cost to keep it that way are mind blowing. One example the crazy repair costs is the power seat needed a cable replaced and that was over $900 to repair :nut:

so does any import car in mid to luxury range... $$ big to maintain.

schocker
12-05-2013, 04:28 PM
If andy has mechanical knowhow though he should be able to tackle many problems on his own. I have an s40 and have fixed all the issues I have had on my own, not anything major though, brakes, some electical stuff, coil packs/plugs, fuel pressure regulator etc.

2ndgenlude
12-05-2013, 04:45 PM
been through lots of Volvos. no cross countrys though. parents have a v8 xc90 right now and its been fine. he traded in a 2004 t6 xc90 he bought new for it. we put 110k on the t6 trouble free. before that we had a s70 t5. blew a intercooler pipe off one day, but besides that it was fine. we have a t5 c30 right now too, and it had some electrical gremlins recently but they re flashed the electronics and all good so far. nothing major has ever happened, but the maintenance is high. both of our current ones are on warranty though.