PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendation for a good furnace guy?

RX_EVOLV
12-04-2013, 10:45 PM
Hi guys,

My furnace has been acting up a bit lately. The fire would go out and I would have to reset it a few times to get the flame back on. Something's wrong with the ignition I think.. Anyone got a good recommendation for a furnace guy that can take a look?

Env-Consultant
12-04-2013, 10:52 PM
I just had my old furnace swapped out for a high efficient today - Shift Air Mechanical did the work, owners name is Brent. Seemed competent, knowledgeable, had good references/reviews, and came in almost $2000 less than another quote I got for the exact same furnace.

Never met the guy before the initial quote, but I'd definitely recommend him now. Pretty sure he does small repairs too. I know he is stupid busy right now though.

gyromonkey
12-05-2013, 09:34 AM
Is it a mid efficient furnace? If so take a look at the flame sensor, Its located between the burners its a little rob the is angled into the flame, Take it out and clean it with very fine sand paper. The get gummed up and tend to make the furnace act up I just had to clean up a couple yesterday. If that does not work shoot me a PM and i will get you in contact with buddy of mine he is a HVAC guy

Ryan

Originally posted by RX_EVOLV
Hi guys,

My furnace has been acting up a bit lately. The fire would go out and I would have to reset it a few times to get the flame back on. Something's wrong with the ignition I think.. Anyone got a good recommendation for a furnace guy that can take a look?

RX_EVOLV
12-05-2013, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by gyromonkey
Is it a mid efficient furnace? If so take a look at the flame sensor, Its located between the burners its a little rob the is angled into the flame, Take it out and clean it with very fine sand paper. The get gummed up and tend to make the furnace act up I just had to clean up a couple yesterday. If that does not work shoot me a PM and i will get you in contact with buddy of mine he is a HVAC guy

Ryan

thanks! I'll give it a shot and see if it helps.

mr2mike
12-05-2013, 10:23 AM
9times out of ten it's the flame sensor/thermocouple.

Clever
12-25-2013, 12:34 PM
Did you get your furnace sorted out?

Mine started doing the same thing, I've had to reset the breaker several times now over the last few days just to get the furnace going again. Let me know how you fixed it, thanks.

shakalaka
12-25-2013, 12:44 PM
I called this guy for my apartment in Edmonton and he came within a couple of hours cause the heat wasn't working at all. Charged me $150 but had the heat going right away. I can find out the name if interested but they are out of Sherwood Park and service Edmonton area. I mention this cause I noticed the OP's location to be saying Calgary/Edmonton.

RX_EVOLV
12-25-2013, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Clever
Did you get your furnace sorted out?

Mine started doing the same thing, I've had to reset the breaker several times now over the last few days just to get the furnace going again. Let me know how you fixed it, thanks.

Yeh got it figured out. Gyromonkey was right. The flame sensor had too much calcium deposit on it so the furnace kept turning itself off after 3 tries. Took some sand paper to it and good as new now.

Clever
12-25-2013, 11:16 PM
Okay thanks, I'll look into that.:thumbsup:

Darell_n
12-26-2013, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by RX_EVOLV

Yeh got it figured out. Gyromonkey was right. The flame sensor had too much calcium deposit on it so the furnace kept turning itself off after 3 tries. Took some sand paper to it and good as new now.

Replace it soon 'cause it won't last long.