PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up a Toyota 4 Runner 1988!

Madmax
02-26-2004, 01:23 PM
Anyone knows of any websites where to find performance parts for the 22R motor. Susprension stuff as well.

Thank you guys.

MAx

subdermal
02-26-2004, 01:59 PM
Congratulations - these are wicked 4x4s, with a lot of upgrade potential. Good suspension and drivetrain, alittle weak in the engine as you've noticed.

Performance Products
http://www.performanceproducts.com/default.aspx?division=TOYOTA&mode=2&year=1988&make=TOYOTA&model=4RUNNER&submodel=DLX

LC Engineering
http://www.performanceproducts.com/default.aspx?division=TOYOTA&mode=2&year=1988&make=TOYOTA&model=4RUNNER&submodel=DLX

Crate 22r
http://www.high-performance-engines.com/813p.html

best upgrade for a tired 22r?... v8 swap!
http://www.advanceadapters.com/

for local resources, check the toyota section of bogginfreaks.com as well.

Madmax
02-26-2004, 02:33 PM
Thanks a lot man. Yeah my 22R needs a rebuild. I've found an complete rebuil kit for about $400 Can. I might do that. And through a cam on top of it. I'm not looking to swap a big V8. That's just asking for trouble. I've got my fun car already. I just a little more power so I can take it 4X4ing.

The engine is slowly dying but for what I paid for it I can't complain.
:D

angierideswitme
02-26-2004, 02:42 PM
22Rs struggle to keep highways speed with larger tires, you could try looking into the v6?

the rear leafs on those trucks are shitty and if they haven't been replaced they are probly saggin'

get new leafs and if you just looking for a little clearence get a body lift, there cheap and do the job.

Madmax
02-26-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by angierideswitme
22Rs struggle to keep highways speed with larger tires, you could try looking into the v6?

the rear leafs on those trucks are shitty and if they haven't been replaced they are probly saggin'

get new leafs and if you just looking for a little clearence get a body lift, there cheap and do the job.

I'm probably just going to go with 31 for now. This truck is pretty much going to be my daily driver. I just want to make it a little more fun to drive. I don't want to get into the hard core off roading. I've spend quite a bit onmy car so I'm not planning on doing the same with this truck. Just want to make it more reliable and fun to drive. Of course a little bit of off roading too.

If I do anything it's going to be a suspension lift though. Not a big fan of body lift.

MAx

angierideswitme
02-26-2004, 04:29 PM
Body lifts have come along way since drilled through hockey pucks. a small body lift will let you run 33s easily. Stock height, 31s might be alittle large. if you not looking on spending alot, then take a look at body lifts.

you best bet is probly to get a winch also, this will give you balls to try many more difficult things.

ecstasyracer
02-26-2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by angierideswitme
Body lifts have come along way since drilled through hockey pucks. a small body lift will let you run 33s easily. Stock height, 31s might be alittle large. if you not looking on spending alot, then take a look at body lifts.

you best bet is probly to get a winch also, this will give you balls to try many more difficult things.

At stock height 32x11.5's will fit most of the time. A torsion bar crank and add-a-leafs in the rear and 33x10.5's should fit. But I woudn't recomend that with the stock gearing and dying 22re.

For a body lift check out roger brown body lifts. Most guys on the web run them.
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/BodyLiftKit.shtml

hockeybronx
02-27-2004, 12:56 AM
I have a buddy who has a 89 4-Runner.

All the best man, I think you will love it, those trucks can handle a lot!

CelicaST-162
02-27-2004, 10:46 AM
Max, I just picked up a Pathfinder myself, we should see whos truck is more durable:D

Madmax
02-27-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by CelicaST-162
Max, I just picked up a Pathfinder myself, we should see whos truck is more durable:D

Yeah I'm actually a big Nissan fan. I wanted a Path as well. But when I came accross this one I couldn't say no (I mean $1100 for a 1988, it's got some rust but still a good deal). I know that Toyota are used quite a bit more for off roading.

subdermal
02-28-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Madmax
[B]
$1100 for a 1988

:eek: SCORE! nice one.

Just FYI, a 3" body lift fits 33's quite nicely. 31's will fit with no mods. I would have preferred a susp lift as well, but I'm waffling over keeping the IFS or going for the SFA swap, and there's no point in paying the $ until I know how I want to do it.

Ditto the above comment on the rear leafs. New stockers alone may get you a few more inches of clearance.

With the 33's, bagged 22r, and the stock 4.11 rear 5th gear is useless at any speed. If this is going to remain a daily driver, I would recommend against it :(

88 = last year with the removable top, too :bigpimp:

CelicaST-162
02-28-2004, 02:38 PM

(I mean $1100 for a 1988

I bought my Pathy for 1100$!!!, I wouldnt be able to live with myself if i didnt pick it up!

ole dsm
02-28-2004, 07:08 PM
i would do a 2"-3" body lift (u would hardley notice it and it wouldn't stress out the mounts very much)and crank the torsion bars and off set the upper control arm W/washers and longer bolts (u can do it on pathfinders i don't know about 4runners)

for the rear i would put 1-2 adda leaf al la home made (pieces of full size chevy leafs ) and some small lift blocks.
for the pathy rear i would get some late 70's ford f150 front coils .

on either of the suv's u would get a grand total of about 5".

pathfinder peeps check out this site
www.cnxc.com great bunch of people

mike

ps. the whole drive train of a '88 toyota 4runner could handle the power of an unmodded v8 without problems just so u know even the ifs

ninspeed
02-29-2004, 07:03 PM
MAX!!!!... good to see your still kicking aorund... i got a 22r kicking around somewhere in to many peices... anyways, i have dealt with LC Eng. (http://www.lcengineering.com./home.htm) so far for all my crap... and canyon creek for stock parts..(get cost there)

Madmax
02-29-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by ninspeed
MAX!!!!... good to see your still kicking aorund... i got a 22r kicking around somewhere in to many peices... anyways, i have dealt with LC Eng. (http://www.lcengineering.com./home.htm) so far for all my crap... and canyon creek for stock parts..(get cost there)

Yeah I'm still kicking around. You know it's still winter so I'm not doing to much. So why do you have a 22R kicking around??

ninspeed
03-01-2004, 06:03 PM

Yeah I'm still kicking around. You know it's still winter so I'm not doing to much. So why do you have a 22R kicking around??
its going in to a vette...... a nice shiny red chevette :D....

GTi-RS
03-02-2004, 11:34 PM
I bought a '89 4Runner recently as well. $1000 199k on it.

Got a deal from a friend who had too many cars.

Mine has the 4 cylinder 22RE 5-speed.

Stick with the 4 cylinder. The 6's are not all that great from what I have researched.

You can find new pistons and whole rebuilt kits cheap on e-bay.

Madmax
03-03-2004, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by GTi-RS
I bought a '89 4Runner recently as well. $1000 199k on it.

Got a deal from a friend who had too many cars.

Mine has the 4 cylinder 22RE 5-speed.

Stick with the 4 cylinder. The 6's are not all that great from what I have researched.

You can find new pistons and whole rebuilt kits cheap on e-bay.

I'm sticking with the 22R that's for sure. I've found a couple company through ebay as well. I'll be rebuilding the engine this summer that's for sure. I'll probably through in a cam and headers as well at the same time. You;ve got a better deal then me that's for sure. Mine does need some little work to make it look decent. But I'm still happy with it.