PDA

View Full Version : How is sunwing?

EK69
12-07-2013, 09:14 PM
Anyone with past experience with sunwing? Read some stuff online about how ppl got their bags searched and things were stolen from them, or major flight delays, or bags missing/lost, or other crap.... Was wondering if it's a case of "if it's on the internet then it MUST be true :rolleyes: " or if it actually is as garbage of a company as it sounds ?

I'm leaning towards it's actually a shitty company to fly with.... But want to hear others opinions lol (gut says suck it up and pay extra for westjet, AC, or air transat or something....) :nut: :banghead:

//edit
This is for an all inclusive package deal somewhere hot Mexico Cuba etc

A790
12-07-2013, 10:18 PM
Flown Sunwing four times in the last two years. I have never had an issue with them either time.

The champagne service is a little cheesy, but it's also champagne lol. The flights are also somewhat crowded, but not any worse than flying any other charter airline.

Fleet seems okay. Every plane I've been on hasn't given me any reason to worry.

When I'm booking I'll fly either AC, WJ, or SW. I've had good/bad experiences with them all, with Sunwing being no worse than the other two.

Chartered buses have always been good too. They always seem modern/fairly modern, well maintained, and presentable. Staff has always been nice as well.

We made use of their "agent" at our hotel during our stay in Cabo. After trying to push some junk on us he gave us a few good tidbits. I won't bother trying to see the agent again, though.

bignerd
12-07-2013, 11:36 PM
Flight was late leaving because a couple was arguing and they got kicked off then we had to wait for their bags to be taken off-not airlines fault I get that.

They tell you go to your bus when you land right away, the buses will NOT wait for you. We waited over an hour sitting on the bus for couples that never showed up and must of taken a taxi. You stop at every other hotel on the way to yours so if you are last the bus ride can be like 1.5 hours.

Flight leaving was delayed over three hours, have no idea why. They gave everyone a ten dollar voucher for food but most of us had already eaten.

Other thing that was annoying, you have to pay to select your seats, like 10 or 15 bucks extra. Regardless of how early you get to the airport, you will not be sitting next to each other on the plane unless you pay the extra fee.

bignerd
12-07-2013, 11:40 PM
Flight was late leaving because a couple was arguing and they got kicked off then we had to wait for their bags to be taken off-not airlines fault I get that.

They tell you go to your bus when you land right away, the buses will NOT wait for you. We waited over an hour sitting on the bus for couples that never showed up and must of taken a taxi. You stop at every other hotel on the way to yours so if you are last the bus ride can be like 1.5 hours.

Flight leaving was delayed over three hours, have no idea why. They gave everyone a ten dollar voucher for food but most of us had already eaten.

Other thing that was annoying, you have to pay to select your seats, like 10 or 15 bucks extra. Regardless of how early you get to the airport, you will not be sitting next to each other on the plane unless you pay the extra fee.

We were on some old plane from Russia(?) as well, all the signs were in some crazy language, we had no idea what it was but obviously they bought the plane from some country over there.

We used the agent at the hotel for one tour. Skip it, use trip advisor and spend another $150 bucks or so and book a private tour before you leave from someone rated 5 stars online. You get picked up in a private van, no one else is with you, you can stop where you want, spend whatever time you want etc etc. We did one tour from the agent, the other private tour my husband went on, I was horrendously sick. He said it was freaking awesome.

03ozwhip
12-08-2013, 12:18 PM
I've done sunwing to Mexico and had 0 issues with them.:dunno:

adidas
12-08-2013, 01:12 PM
Although we have taken them once, i doubt we will be flying with them again.

The 2 things that trigger the above decision. 1) After landing we waited endlessly for other passangers to arrive via other airlines before the bus took off. Landing to arrival at the hotel was 2+ hrs. 2) If you are over 6' tall you will have a difficult time sitting comfortably especially when the flights are direct via sunwing. Watch out for your knees if the person infront of you decides to recline their seat.

I have heard from a stuardess that there are 30-40 more seats on that plane than what is comparably flown by WJ, AC, when comparing the same planes (737's).

Vmack
12-08-2013, 01:15 PM
used them going to cuba in january this year. I'm not a big flyer as it is but am starting to travel more. Service is ok, I had no problems. Maybe i'll be able to provide better feedback once i've gone to some different places with different airlines.

epp01
12-08-2013, 01:32 PM
I flew Sunwing last year, wasn't very impressed. Packed airplanes, half of the TV's either didn't work or were fuzzy or not in color. Not like West Jet either where the TV's are in the back of the seats. Sunwing's TV's are spaced 4-5 rows for one TV. SunWing has a really bad history of you booking your flight, then a few weeks before you leave. "Oh we changed your flight home, instead of coming back at noon to Calgary, you're actually leaving Mexico at 4:30am." That happened twice.

GQBalla
12-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Wasn't bad compared to all other airlines. Food and champagne/wine.

Wasn't great. Wasn't bad

Feruk
12-08-2013, 03:14 PM
Took them once to Mexico. Zero issues if I recall correctly.

EK69
12-08-2013, 08:02 PM
Hmmm maybe I will just stick with the cheaper alternative then (several hundred dollars) and go with sunwing

Excursions and stuff.... Are those recommended to be booked in advance at time of booking or once you get there?

itravel2000.com has a price drop policy any other websites like that?
You basically just check every day since you book and if it goes down then you get credited the difference?

A790
12-08-2013, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by EK69
Hmmm maybe I will just stick with the cheaper alternative then (several hundred dollars) and go with sunwing

Excursions and stuff.... Are those recommended to be booked in advance at time of booking or once you get there?

itravel2000.com has a price drop policy any other websites like that?
You basically just check every day since you book and if it goes down then you get credited the difference?
RedTag.ca is my favourite. As far as excursions go, you can always book them right from your hotel (convenience), or from local vendors. I've never booked in advance.

seer_claw
12-08-2013, 08:22 PM
I just got back from Jamaica after flying with Sunwing, it was ok. I would recommend you buy something to eat. The food that they supply is barely edible, I didn't pick anything up on the way down and by the time we got to the resort we were starving.

theken
12-09-2013, 12:16 AM
I had some cunt slam his seat down all the way from Mexico. Couldn't even move my knees, I would rather take a dick in the ass, it woul be more comfortable than that flight home. But other than that it wasn't the worst.

sputnik
12-09-2013, 07:56 AM
Like with any charter company... don't book too far in advance.

austic
12-09-2013, 08:43 AM
I hate the airline.
1)They told me going down to Mexico/called before I booked that my scuba gear would be fine and depending on weight would give me a sports gear fee of $25-$50. I had no problems going down and didn’t have to pay extra but coming back up they charged me $360 to bring my scuba gear up ($20/KG and yes Scuba gear is heavy) as the people in Mexico claimed they had no sports gear prices and extra baggage is assessed the standard fee of $20/KG .
2) if you are half way tall it sucks and is one of the most cramped airlines i have been on.
3)TV's were terrible
4) They ran out of water, food, and the snack before they got to us and we were not even that far from the start of the service.
:bullshit:

bjstare
12-09-2013, 10:13 AM
Was on a sunwing vacation once (ex father in law took us to mexico now and then), would never do it again. Shitty old plane, poor service, same issues as some have stated above with time spent on the bus, etc. Really wrecks a trip for me, to have to deal with that crap.

Just my 2c. If you can put up with those things, might as well save the money. I'm just too much of a princess I guess.:dunno:

EK69
12-09-2013, 10:25 AM
Man fuck I'm torn between westjet or sunwing. Westjet is comjng up a few hundred more per person.
Good thing is the place isn't far from airport I guess (less than 30min drive) but that's assuming we actually leave sometime soon after arrival which it sounds like we probably won't.

So if I want to sit beside the ppl I am traveling with (even though we book it at the same time) we have to pay a fee to check in online and pick our seats to make sure we're beside each other?

95EG6P
12-09-2013, 10:36 AM
sun wing was good no issues used them 3 times

austic
12-09-2013, 10:39 AM
Depends on how if being cheap is worth more to you than being comfortable? Westjet and Air Canada Vacations tend to cost more but I know I would never go on another Sun Wing vacation. I put a premium on my time and comfort when I am on vacation as the last thing I want is to be miserable when I am away from work.

Feruk
12-09-2013, 11:04 AM
Flights suck horribly regardless. Might as well suck it up and pay less and have more spending money when you're actually down there.

I'd forgotten about it, but Sunwing's flight had the worst food I've ever had on a flight... ever... by a long shot. Whoever thinks re-fried beans and eggs done in a microwave is a good idea is an idiot.

16hypen3sp
12-09-2013, 01:49 PM
I have taken Sunwing twice...
Had zero issues and thought they were pretty outstanding actually.

I have seen horror stories about them too tho... like any airline.

MilanoRedTeg
12-09-2013, 02:18 PM
I've had a terrible experience, plane delayed 18 hours. They wouldn't tell anybody what was going on, sent us back to a resort for the wait but wouldn't comp anybody rooms. There was families with young children sleeping on the marble floor of the lobby. They didn't send enough buses to pick everyone up so there were people sitting on the floor.

I'm sure that 18 hour delays don't happen everyday but it does to show how they handle it. I also have a friend who works for westjet that has said they have one of the worst track records for delayed flights.

anyways that's my rant.

A790
12-09-2013, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by MilanoRedTeg
I also have a friend who works for westjet that has said they have one of the worst track records for delayed flights..
Westjet threw my step dad off the plane because he appeared drunk. Half his face is paralyzed from a brain tumour operation from a few years ago so he always kind of looks that way. They never talked to him or questioned him about his sobriety. They just threw him off the plane.

Point is, every airline fucks up sometimes. Westjet lost our business for a good long while because of that. Or maybe it was the $50 voucher they gave us as "sorry". Not sure...

bignerd
12-09-2013, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by EK69
Man fuck I'm torn between westjet or sunwing. Westjet is comjng up a few hundred more per person.
Good thing is the place isn't far from airport I guess (less than 30min drive) but that's assuming we actually leave sometime soon after arrival which it sounds like we probably won't.

So if I want to sit beside the ppl I am traveling with (even though we book it at the same time) we have to pay a fee to check in online and pick our seats to make sure we're beside each other?

On Sunwing you have pay to choose your seats when you book your ticket. Basically if you don't do this your chances of just checking in early and getting seats next to one another is nil. We didn't pay the extra and were at the airport in plenty of time. One the way down we got aisle seats across from one another. Fine. Thats pretty close.

On the way home, we caught our bus like we were supposed to and the line up at the airport is insane. Like an hour, hour and half to check in. NO seats together at all, we sat like 8 rows apart. I sat with a mother and her teenage son.

Pay the money if you want to sit together. I don't think you can check in online with Sunwing??

Westjet could be different, haven't taken a destination vacay with them before.

2Legit2Quit
12-10-2013, 08:23 AM
Air Canada will make you pay for seat selection, and West Jet will let you pay for seat selection but if you check in online once the 24 hour window hits then you can pick your seats for free, but if you're late or not much available for picking then you're up the creek.

Just more airline BS imo, dinging you for anything they can. I guess we're lucky that we aren't like most american airlines where they charge you for any luggage but for the price point small things like this shouldn't be additional charges...just like paying for air at some gas stations....

bignerd
12-10-2013, 06:21 PM
Perhaps for their vacations AC doesn't charge for bags but for other trips they do. Just flew to LA three times with them and only took a carry on. $25 for your first bag.

And I only took a real carry on, just an over night bag, not one of these "carry ons" with a handle and wheels that everyone is bringing now to avoid the charges.

pfis300
12-10-2013, 08:30 PM
I flew with them just last week to Cancun.

The plane was crowded but manageable - food was ok, drinks were plentiful. Airplane employees were kind, presentable and generally nice. The plane was in good shape and tv's were every 3-4 rows but big enough it was a comfortable view.

Yes it sucks paying 10$ per seat selection but it's worth it to me to get where I want (front of plane) so I get through customs first.

Once we landed they brought us right to our own private van that was very new and clean, they drove us straight to our resort (Riu Palace Las Americas ***** Star) and it was a pleasure.

The trip home was delayed an hour due to the snowfall here in calgary (understandable) and they gave us free champagne on both flights.

Will fly again with them.

Be aware you are comparing a charter flight to major airlines - there's some sacrifices you will make.

All in all 8/10 would fly again.

rob the knob
12-26-2013, 09:53 AM
Police forced to calm angry airport passengers after delay

BY MICHAEL WRIGHT, CALGARY HERALD DECEMBER 25, 2013

STORYPHOTOS ( 1 )

Police officers calm angry passengers at Calgary Airport on Wednesday. Photo by Tarron Fabbricino (supplied)
Photograph by: Tarron Fabbricino , Calgary Herald
Police were called to Calgary Airport on Wednesday to calm a crowd of angry passengers due to an 11-hour delay on a flight to Mexico.

A Sunwing Airlines flight was due to depart Calgary for Cancun at 10 a.m. but was delayed throughout the day, eventually being scheduled for takeoff at 8:50 p.m.

Passenger Tarron Fabbricino said many of those waiting became unruly late in the afternoon when they learned the delays were due to several Sunwing staff calling in sick.

“There was literally almost a riot.

“There were people on chairs screaming. It was not like anything I’d ever seen at an airport before.”

Police and airport security staff were called to the gate to quell the unease.

Passengers were given a $25 voucher for food or taxis after the first delay, Fabbricino said, and later offered a $75 travel voucher for their next Sunwing flight.

“What’s $75 worth to you on Christmas Day, 12 hours in an airport away from your family?”

Many people demanded a refund, or an extra day on their travel package because of the long delay, she said. Some of the 174 passengers maintained a “little rebel alliance” in the boarding area.

“They’re demanding their money back or at least compensation,” Fabbricino said.

Det. Todd Nichol confirmed police were called to the airport shortly after 4 p.m. to calm an incident in the terminal.

“There were about 25 people who were very verbally aggressive towards supervisors of Sunwing,” he said.

“It was just a presence. We were asked to come by and make sure things didn’t get out of hand.”

Sunwing Airlines could not be reached for comment.

Mixalot27
12-27-2013, 08:12 AM
I find it pretty shady that Sunwing deletes all comments relating to this incident from their facebook page.

revelations
12-27-2013, 01:58 PM
Its probably better that these people create their own anti-sunwing FB and twitter page.

snowcat
12-27-2013, 02:41 PM
Ugh I fly out jan 5..... Hope to god it's okay

A790
12-27-2013, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by snowcat
Ugh I fly out jan 5..... Hope to god it's okay
It will be fine. How many times have you read about this kind of thing happening? Once? Okay, so you're probably going to be just fine.

As I said before, I've had nearly a dozen flights with Sunwing (four in the last two years) and have never had an issue.

nickyh
01-01-2014, 12:56 PM
Here's hoping i fall into the routine normal cattle shuttle down category in March, booked a trip with Signature but they are using the Sunwing plane to Jamaica, they were the only direct flight option.

Lex350
01-02-2014, 10:07 AM
Will never fly with them. So many shady practices.

snowcat
01-03-2014, 03:27 PM
Well it's started. Got an email today with flight delays and the flight is 2 days away.

Called in and a pissed off csa is waiting for me.

She said that we don't have to keep on time, at all.

Never again.