PDA

View Full Version : CanadaTrader/Carproof question

Tik-Tok
12-09-2013, 06:19 PM
I know this has an obvious answer, but I just want someone else to confirm this, lol.

My wife was perusing Autotrader.ca, and a vehicle had a carproof report link... said link shouldn't include a lien report that lists the previous owners Name, Address, Phone # etc. right? I mean that's what all our privacy laws are all about, correct?

Wrinkly
12-09-2013, 06:37 PM
I have come across this also. Not sure how it stands where privacy laws are concerned versus the potential for a genuine outstanding lien on the vehicle and the buyers right to that information. :dunno:

Edit: always worth buying the most expensive car proof though, even if seller is providing a lesser one. I did this with an Audi S4 avant I almost purchased a few years ago. The sellers basic carproof made it look clean as a whistle. I got the "top of the line" version and discovered it had been back and forth across the border several times in a short space of time and had changed hands a lot, it just seemed really odd so I walked.

Tik-Tok
12-10-2013, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Wrinkly
I have come across this also. Not sure how it stands where privacy laws are concerned versus the potential for a genuine outstanding lien on the vehicle and the buyers right to that information. :dunno:

It totally makes sense for a report to show a lien (that's the whole point of it), but to have so many details of the lien holder, accessible by anyone? Seems wrong to me.

Anyways, I emailed CarProof to ask if this is normal, or if the dealership screwed up by posting the wrong part of the report.

16hypen3sp
12-10-2013, 02:18 PM
CarProof/Carfax... all a joke anyway. I have bought 4 in my lifetime... each and every single one was wrong.

One said the car was fine - car had actually been rolled.
Two said there was a lien when there was not.
One said there was no lien when there was.

I just get the personal property search and vehicle info report at the registries now.

avishal26
12-10-2013, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

It totally makes sense for a report to show a lien (that's the whole point of it), but to have so many details of the lien holder, accessible by anyone? Seems wrong to me.

Anyways, I emailed CarProof to ask if this is normal, or if the dealership screwed up by posting the wrong part of the report.

Privacy laws do not allow name of lien holder to be shared. When I purchased my car, during the due course of transferring papers, when the lien papers came up, the bank had to black out the name, address, etc.

^ I freaked myself out just now as I typed that - I think I got the lien released letter from the bank after I bought my car... but can't actually remember :confused: it was over 3 years ago

Tik-Tok
12-10-2013, 02:52 PM
This is the response I got from Carproof

Good afternoon,

Thanks for contacting CarProof. To answer your question, lien information is searchable for anyone who wishes to search through the PPSA (Personal Property and Security Registery) CarProof reports enforceable lien information that it finds from the Canadian government databases exactly as the information is stored and reported by the government. The details will include personal contact information, as the data comes from public documents and sharing this information is consistent with privacy laws in Canada. Note that CarProof does not interpret or manipulate this data. This information is public for anyone to search if they wish.

We do however suggest to dealers a way to not provide that online, there is a way that they can share the report without providing the lien information online.

Thanks for your question and if you have any further questions or concerns, please let me know.

16hypen3sp
12-10-2013, 05:24 PM
"CarProof reports enforceable lien information that it finds from the Canadian government databases exactly as the information is stored and reported by the government."

I had a carproof say there is a lien.
The document I got from the government, or their version of a carproof, said no lien.

So if they get their info from the government, why the discrepancy between the two?

I just find them hard to trust. Anyways, I see your point tho.

Apparently they are not going against the privacy laws.