PDA

View Full Version : BMW 1M - Winter Preparation

AutoObsessed
12-10-2013, 08:02 PM
2011 BMW 1M

We prepared and coated this beautiful 1M to keep it looking great and protect it from the harsh Alberta winter and to also give the owner a low maintenance solution.

This car went through a thorough cleaning and paint preparation process to not only give it the best look but a strong foundation for the coating. The coating of choice was the Gtechniq EXO v2 nano coating. This coating offers extreme durability for the harsh Alberta weather conditions, provides a fantastic look but most of all is one of the easiest coatings to maintain. Link to EXO coating (http://www.autoobsessed.com/shop/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=gtechniq+exo&x=0&y=0)

To see the full write-up and picture detail click this LINK (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.578579532198025.1073741870.158165934239389&type=1)

http://www.autoobsessed.com/shop/images/AO_pictures/autoobsessed_1m_1.jpg
http://www.autoobsessed.com/shop/images/AO_pictures/autoobsessed_1m_2.jpg
http://www.autoobsessed.com/shop/images/AO_pictures/autoobsessed_1m_3.jpg

AudiPWR
12-10-2013, 08:08 PM
Cool... Do you guys do vinyl? I just finished wrapping my M3. Not 100% happy with the front bumper, currently trying to find a good shop for it.

AutoObsessed
12-10-2013, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by AudiPWR
Cool... Do you guys do vinyl? I just finished wrapping my M3. Not 100% happy with the front bumper, currently trying to find a good shop for it.

Sorry, we are not doing vinyl just Paint Protection Film, Specialty Detailing Services and selling the finest detailing products on the planet.

Mitsu3000gt
12-10-2013, 09:06 PM
How much does a winter prep like this cost roughly for a similar sized car? I know you guys do work by the hour, but I figure a job like this would be similarly time consuming on a same-sized car.

flipstah
12-10-2013, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
How much does a winter prep like this cost roughly for a similar sized car? I know you guys do work by the hour, but I figure a job like this would be similarly time consuming on a same-sized car.

+1. The Golf is roughly the same size.

Am I able to buy the products used through you and DIY?

AutoObsessed
12-10-2013, 09:39 PM

The car we posted took 11hrs, each car would have to be quoted as size, age, condition and what work is requested would affect the hours required.

AutoObsessed
12-10-2013, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

+1. The Golf is roughly the same size.

Am I able to buy the products used through you and DIY?

All the products and almost all of the tools we used are sold in our Retail Boutique or on are Online Store. Largest Premium Selection in Canada!

Mitsu3000gt
12-10-2013, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by AutoObsessed

The car we posted took 11hrs, each car would have to be quoted as size, age, condition and what work is requested would affect the hours required.

So...safe to assume the above car cost somewhere between $800 and $1100? What is the hourly rate?

I think a lot of people would be interested in a basic winter prep (wash/degrease/claybar/paint protectant).

AutoObsessed
12-10-2013, 10:00 PM

So...safe to assume the above car cost somewhere between $800 and $1100? What is the hourly rate?

I think a lot of people would be interested in a basic winter prep (wash/degrease/claybar/paint protectant).

With the products the cost for this one is just over $1100, it was a 11hr process using the best products, tools, services, in a state of the art fully secured and insured facility.

flipstah
12-10-2013, 10:10 PM

All the products and almost all of the tools we used are sold in our Retail Boutique or on are Online Store. Largest Premium Selection in Canada!

Are you able to provide a list of products used? I'll use that as my shopping list haha!

AutoObsessed
12-10-2013, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

Are you able to provide a list of products used? I'll use that as my shopping list haha!

Sure, send us an email and we will give you a list of products used. [email protected]

NOTE: we can only provide what was used in this detail, each car/situation varies so we can only provide these details as a suggestion.

JordanLotoski
12-10-2013, 11:57 PM
Can you please open a shop in Calgary already!!

InRich
12-11-2013, 12:55 AM
1100 to prepare a car for winter.... wowzers. :eek:

K3RMiTdot
12-11-2013, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by JordanLotoski

ive alrady asked hahah

gpomp
12-11-2013, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by InRich
1100 to prepare a car for winter.... wowzers. :eek: I'm sure you can HELOC it though.

InRich
12-11-2013, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by gpomp
I'm sure you can HELOC it though.

why would I, when I can take it for an 8 dollar car wash. then call Jed in the spring? craaaaazai

AutoObsessed
12-11-2013, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by InRich
1100 to prepare a car for winter.... wowzers. :eek:

In order to understand what goes into a job like this you have to do some research and/or read our posts and picture documentation. This is not a service for everyone, there is not a facility like this in Canada.

This is an 11hr job which consisted of a 5 hour wash, full engine, door jambs, exhaust tips, wheels, wheel wells, all door, hood and trunk openings, some spot polishing, then full paint, film prep, glass polishing and then the nano coating applied, then final detailing. Not a spot is missed and the owner goes over the entire vehicle inside the clean room before it goes outside.

The coating is rated for 2.5years and was applied to the Paint Protection Film and Glass.

Like anything in this world you need to compare it fairly and you need to be able to justify getting a service like this or not. The work speaks for itself, stop by sometime we would be glad to show you our work and facility.

flipstah
12-11-2013, 11:53 AM

Sure, send us an email and we will give you a list of products used. [email protected]

NOTE: we can only provide what was used in this detail, each car/situation varies so we can only provide these details as a suggestion.

Email sent. :)

AutoObsessed
12-11-2013, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by JordanLotoski

Originally posted by K3RMiTdot

ive alrady asked hahah

We would love to and hope to at some point, there is a reason why a facility and product selection like we have is not available anywhere in Canada. This is more passion driven than it is financial which is why you don't and might never see them spring up everywhere.

Maybe we will have to get some transporting options available for the Calgary guys. The products are shipped over night so the Calgary DIYer is covered.

Mitsu3000gt
12-11-2013, 12:22 PM
It does seem very expensive. I realize it's a step above what most places would do, but I guess you have to ask yourself if you're getting over 6X more value than a "regular" complete detail, which at the right place are quite thorough.

$180 gets you this at other reputable places:

- Complete degrease of entire vehicle, including engine and wheels, + clay bar
- Engine and engine bay steam-cleaned, shampooed and hand detailed
- Car hand-washed and dried
- Stage 1 power-polish
- Paint sealant applied by hand
- Wheels cleaned and polished (by hand)

You could do that 6 times for less money, so I guess the question is are the products used and the additional attention to detail worth another $900, or are they 6X better?

IMHO after looking through the Facebook photo albums and descriptions, they definitely go a step further than the average place, and clearly do outstanding work, but I personally have trouble seeing $900 of extra value added on top of something like the above mentioned detail. Maybe one day I will have an exotic or something more worthy of their services haha .:thumbsup:

AutoObsessed
12-11-2013, 01:04 PM
It does seem very expensive. I realize it's a step above what most places would do, but I guess you have to ask yourself if you're getting over 6X more value than a "regular" complete detail, which at the right place are quite thorough.

- Stage 1 power-polish

You could do that 6 times for less money, so I guess the question is are the products used and the additional attention to detail worth another $900, or are they 6X better?

IMHO after looking through the Facebook photo albums and descriptions, they definitely go a step further than the average place, and clearly do outstanding work, but I personally have trouble seeing $900 of extra value added on top of something like the above mentioned detail. Maybe one day I will have an exotic or something more worthy of their services haha .:thumbsup:

Obviously this is a very debatable topic, so I'm not going to go further into it other than a few points;

- Ask the $180 detail shop how many hours are they performing on your car? Once completed go over the car and see if anything was missed? What protection coat have they used, how long is it going to last in Alberta? We used more than $180 in products on this detail, how much have they used, can they even tell you?

- Comparing a $180 detail to the above posted work is like asking if there is a difference between a Bugatti Veyron and a Ford Focus - both have an engine and four wheels right?

- Lastly do some research, take a look at the posts below and note that ALL work was done by professional/reputable companies. Pictures will tell the story of the previous shop and the final work that was performed by Auto Obsessed.

BMW M6 Car was just completed by a professional shop (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.567955173260461.1073741853.158165934239389&type=3)

Cadilc CTS-V Brand New, detailed by professional shop (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.564000386989273.1073741851.158165934239389&type=3)

Kia Optima - brand new, dealership polished it and said that they could not fix it and it would have to be repainted. (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.525116570877655.1073741840.158165934239389&type=3)

Mercedes E350, professional polished and detailed (https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.513377035384942.1073741835.158165934239389&type=3)

Disoblige
12-11-2013, 01:13 PM
^^ Excellent post :thumbsup:

ZeroGravity
12-11-2013, 01:49 PM

- Stage 1 power-polish

visited their showroom once, really wished they would open a location here in calgary. but of course, if it depends on customers like me (just purchase a few products, once in a while), they would go out of business quickly.

since jed was mentioned here, to "price compare", jed was more than 2 times more expensive than the fore mentioned 180 detail, and i only got the exterior polish and seal from him. And this was back in 2007.