PDA

View Full Version : Farmed VS Chinese caught wild Salmon

Sugarphreak
12-10-2013, 09:42 PM

JRSC00LUDE
12-10-2013, 09:51 PM
I never buy either...... any fish that is a product of China, I have zero confidence in. Farmed Salmon..... I honestly don't know what to think? :dunno:

I only like white fleshed fish so, it's not really a problem. I would like to know the REAL story on Canadian farmed fish. If what you claim is factual, it makes it more appealing.

Sugarphreak
12-10-2013, 10:16 PM

Arash Boodagh
12-10-2013, 10:24 PM
Your sources and facts are as good as the media presstitues that flood the main stream.

We (taxpayers) pay fish farms money for destroying diseased fish
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=34510.0

http://vimeo.com/61301410
Salmon Confidential is a new film on the government cover up of what is killing BC’s wild salmon. When biologist Alexandra Morton discovers BC’s wild salmon are testing positive for dangerous European salmon viruses associated with salmon farming worldwide, a chain of events is set off by government to suppress the findings. Tracking viruses, Morton moves from courtrooms, into British Columbia’s most remote rivers, Vancouver grocery stores and sushi restaurants. The film documents Morton’s journey as she attempts to overcome government and industry roadblocks thrown in her path and works to bring critical information to the public in time to save BC’s wild salmon. The film provides surprising insight into the inner workings of government agencies, as well as rare footage of the bureaucrats tasked with managing our fish and the safety of our food supply.

89coupe
12-10-2013, 10:28 PM
I usually buy farmed salmon from Costco, the odd time they have wild salmon, but I prefer the taste of the farmed.

We also buy All our other fish from Costco.

Trout, tuna, & halibut.

Sugarphreak
12-10-2013, 10:36 PM

Arash Boodagh
12-10-2013, 10:51 PM
So why is the government giving away triple figure bail out tax money to destroy diseased fish?

These fish farmed companies are a part of the ZioAmerican empire, they work two fold, make money and keep the indigenous from making money with no regard for the environment.

Sugarphreak
12-10-2013, 10:54 PM

msommers
12-10-2013, 11:15 PM
I've been on the wild salmon train for awhile now. Either from the Farmer's Market (previously frozen) if I'm headed out of town and they vac-pack good size portions or Billingsgate for fresh stuff. Funny thing about them, they can't seem to debone a damn salmon to save their life lol, and I've ordered a considerable amount over the years. I eat a lot of salmon :D

I don't doubt SOME of these myths have been debunked in SOME farms, but do you have any links or articles I could read more on it? It's not that I doubt you, it's that I'm interested in reading it. I know that farms are possible to be self sustaining, there was a great TED talk about one in Spain (I think) and was incredible to listen to. I've also read some horrendous things about fish farms in Argentina, but that pertained moreso to Walmart (Superstore, not sure where they source their stuff).

With the latest wave (and hopefully not a fad) of people that want to know what's in their food and where it comes from, it doesn't surprise me that fish farms in Canada have stepped up their game. Again I'd be curious to read more on this as the last time I was searching (which admittedly was a couple years ago I'd bet), the consensus was grossly overpopulated areas located on the coast, fish basically shitting too much and damaging neighboring ecosystems who couldn't thrive and the fish themselves needed antibiotics to survive in an environment with so much particulate.

Go4Long
12-10-2013, 11:28 PM
I don't eat much fish...I go to my family's place on the island a couple times a year, catch a Salmon, and bring it back home and freeze it so the wife can have fish whenever she wants.

Got a 20lb and 15lb spring and a 12lb Coho all portioned up in the freezer right now.

My step-dad who lives out there says that it's impossible to tell by taste which fish were farm raised and which were wild...given the fact they eat salmon a couple times a week, I'd take his word for it.

Xtrema
12-10-2013, 11:33 PM
All I used to love salmon. I do not like the farmed stuff from Superstore but I tolerate it.

Wild doesn't always taste better either and if they are from China, then I'm out. I boycott all food products from China.

Sugarphreak
12-11-2013, 08:15 AM

Feruk
12-11-2013, 09:49 AM
My biggest concern with fish is that I have no clue where it's coming from. We buy most of ours at the Farmer's Market and Co-Op. It says it's wild. Does that mean someone actually fished it out of an ocean/stream? I have no idea! Remember the "100% All Beef" hot dogs a few years ago where it turned out that was just the name of the company, and the hot dogs were not all beef? Figuring out the origin of fish seems even harder to me. Even worse when you go to a restaurant, as the waiter will always tell you it's wild. But is it?

clem24
12-11-2013, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Feruk
Remember the "100% All Beef" hot dogs a few years ago where it turned out that was just the name of the company, and the hot dogs were not all beef?

NO I don't remember this.. I believe it's fake. If anything I believe it's a perpetuation of the McDonald's 100% All Beef myth that the company was named 100% All Beef and that the patties weren't really that (when it turns out McD's patties really are 100% all beef).

89coupe
12-11-2013, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by clem24

NO I don't remember this.. I believe it's fake. If anything I believe it's a perpetuation of the McDonald's 100% All Beef myth that the company was named 100% All Beef and that the patties weren't really that (when it turns out McD's patties really are 100% all beef).

You should read this.

http://m.beefmagazine.com/blog/jamie-oliver-says-mcdonald-s-burgers-unfit-human-consumption

JRSC00LUDE
12-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe

You should read this.

http://m.beefmagazine.com/blog/jamie-oliver-says-mcdonald-s-burgers-unfit-human-consumption

As far as I know, that has zero relevance in Canada.

PremiumRSX
12-11-2013, 11:04 AM
Where's the option for no preference?

With my basic understanding of the pros/cons of each, I do not lean to any one side and will eat farmed or wild as long as it's safe.

While I may not outright boycott products from China, I am definitely mindful as to where the product comes from and who it's being imported by. My girlfriend avoids products from China most of the time unless there are few or no other options available.

China definitely doesn't seem have the best track-record for quality and safety management for most of the industries that I can think of.

Last time I was at T&T Supermarket (Loblaw's) I bought a package of frozen buns (from China) and the filling wasn't even the same as advertised. It was just a minor disappointment to me but what if somebody had food allergies?

89coupe
12-11-2013, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

As far as I know, that has zero relevance in Canada.

Do Canadian Mcdonalds get their beef from a different supplier?

Phihalo
12-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Quick question, when they say wild salmon is by China fisherman, does that mean they catch the fish IN China or they hire fisherman from China to fish elsewhere? I, too, would stay away from any food that is from China but am okay if they are doing the job elsewhere.

PremiumRSX
12-11-2013, 11:09 AM

I would suspect they have to since it's illegal in Canada as well as the McDonald's in UK/EU.

JRSC00LUDE
12-11-2013, 11:47 AM

Yes. Unless the world's supply comes from Spruce Grove. :)

Thomas Gabriel
12-11-2013, 11:55 AM
Avoid any food made in China at all costs

RawB8figure
12-11-2013, 12:36 PM
After reading this thread I did a little research and found out that the highliner tilapia I buy from Costco that says Product of USA, is actually farmed in china. I watch labels so I can avoid any food products from china and this one definitely tricked me. So I just ate fish last night that was raised on raw sewage and chicken shit. mmmm,

Highliner source:
http://www.highliner.com/site/eng/art0044.asp

Whats with the labeling system in Canada/USA, "Product of USA" means fish was raised in China and they process in USA. The product is the fish not where it was cut, IMO. So misleading.

LollerBrader
12-11-2013, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
The backstory:

The Con's:
-They spread sea lice: Debunked

O RLY?

Keeping livestock has taught me that any densely kept livestock becomes a disease and pest reservoir which can threaten similar critters in the area - Creating pest pressures which are more persistent or greater than otherwise.

That's just plain sense...

I'd be curious to learn more about this sea lice debunking if you could post a few links.

Just think, if you stuck with veggies, you wouldn't have to fuss over all of this !

89coupe
12-11-2013, 12:52 PM
Did you know that Growers BC Apple juice uses Chinese apples when their own supply runs out?

My cousin routinely ships apples from the freighters in Vancouver to BC growers plant.

Sugarphreak
12-11-2013, 12:54 PM

JRSC00LUDE
12-11-2013, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I will see if I can find some links later tonight for it.

Save your effort. He constantly has ridiculous arguments and positions that he never substantiates or supports. He's like a dumb Modelexis, without actually defending his positions.

revelations
12-11-2013, 01:17 PM
Anything that goes in a mouth should not be made in China.

This applies everything from kids toys, to dog food.

My impression of the general mentality of their export market is to ship the cheapest, tainted garbage out.

n1zm0
12-11-2013, 01:26 PM
I never cared much about where I got fish, from the T&T, Superstore it didn't matter. I always bought Basa before, I first ate it as a kid in Malaysia and though it was the best kind of fish I've ever had, it's a very meaty kind of white fish kind of like American catfish, it is a type of catfish actually.

Then I see this documentary about how Basa is farmed in Vietnam (the same Basa filets you get from Superstore - $10 for 12 large filets) and read the Oceanwise reports on it, I never really thought about how crappy some farms were but the methods practiced in Vietnam (the ones that are in Superstore are from there) are pertty atrocious I thought, enough to make me almost stop eating Basa from that particular country for about a year.

...But then I brokedown and bought a bag a few months ago, then another and another the next month, I guess I still don't really have a preference for farm or sustainably-caught fish.