PDA

View Full Version : Sister scammed by Garage Builder in Calgary need some help

supeg
12-11-2013, 04:19 PM
Hey Guys.

Normally post over at 780 tuners and sometimes here, thought I would post this to see if any of you guys from Calgary could help.

My sister just built a new house in Cochrane. They need to get a garage built so they turned to Kijiji to see if there were any winter builders. I guess they found this ad here

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-services-skilled-trades-other-Garage-Builders-W0QQAdIdZ548364296

for "Garage Builders 1"

My sister went to the address listed and gave a deposit of 3,000 dollars in cash (I know very fucken dumb, trust me I bitched her out) and since then has never heard from the guy.

They have a website here

garagebuilders1.webs.com

and contact info is

Robert
Garage Builders 1
1629 12 Ave SW
Calgary, Ab T3C 0R3
403-540-5355

I also googled "Garage Scam Calgary" and there is a posting someone made to Kijiji to warn others but it is removed and the old Cached copy google has does not contain any other info.

Only info google has is

"SCAM ALERT - Garage Builders 1 | Calgary | Other Services from ...
calgary.kijiji.ca › Calgary › services › skilled trades › other‎
Dec 2, 2013 - do not contact "kirk" from garage builders 1 as it is a scam! he will meet with you, sign a 'contract', take your money as a deposit, and then you ..."

She has sent him multiple emails and called multiple times with no replies. I just replied to the add and got a immediate reply, so obviously a scammer.

Before I make the three hour drive and go to this address and get ghetto, I am trying to get as much info or advice as possible.

She has went to the Police and filed a Police report but we all know what the Police does with stuff like this, nothing.

Any help or advice would be appreceated.

And yes I know she is a total idiot for giving this guy cash.

Isaiah
12-11-2013, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by supeg

Before I make the three hour drive and go to this address and get ghetto, I am trying to get as much info or advice as possible.

If you live in Edmonton then there's no need to come here to 'get ghetto' as you should already have it covered.

A790
12-11-2013, 04:26 PM
Does she have a receipt?

403ep3
12-11-2013, 04:34 PM
That's rough.

Kijiji is never your best friend when you're investing that much money.

Ven
12-11-2013, 05:39 PM
If she's signed a contract and paid a deposit you can bet the next thing he'll do, after you make trouble, is put a lien on the property. It's a contractor ransom and there's a lot of guys running the scam. You have almost zero recourse too, and obviously the police are useless and the scammer knows it. Goodluck.

C_Dave45
12-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Hey Guys.

My sister just built a new house in Cochrane. They need to get a garage built so they turned to Kijiji.......

Aaand that's when I stopped reading.

So they got a new house built, why not ask the builder to build the garage as well? Lemme guess...cuz he was "4 times the price", and you thought you could find it cheaper?"

Call City licensing. He probably doesn't have the specific license that allows him to charge for deposits. If she has record of payment, then you'll just have to go the legal route.

"Going ghetto..." :rolleyes: What are you gonna do...show up at his house with Guido and a baseball bat? You know how many tradespeople have used that line, only to know that none of them would have the balls to carry through? Then you can for sure kiss the money good bye.

lilmira
12-11-2013, 06:02 PM
Kijiji: Looking for 1/2 day thugs rental

heavyfuel
12-11-2013, 06:14 PM
Confirm his address and I'll use it as my personal landfill for the next several heavy loads of reno waste lol bylaw and the cops can't/don't do shit about that either so long as it's not on city property haha

Originally posted by C_Dave45

"Going ghetto..." :rolleyes: What are you gonna do...show up at his house with Guido and a baseball bat? You know how many tradespeople have used that line, only to know that none of them would have the balls to carry through? Then you can for sure kiss the money good bye.

Only takes one, and the rest usually fall in line. Sad to say, and I won't be the one to do it but that's what needs to happen. That's how it worked in the world I learned business in, and funny you hear as many resolution stories as rip off stories in those instances. Just sayin'.

C_Dave45
12-11-2013, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by heavyfuel

Only takes one, and the rest usually fall in line. Sad to say, and I won't be the one to do it but that's what needs to happen. That's how it worked in the world I learned business in, and funny you hear as many resolution stories as rip off stories in those instances. Just sayin'.

If there are so many resolutions by this method, why didn't the others "fall in line". :rolleyes:

I can just see you looking up to the goof redneck with awe and admiration, who tells you his story.... "yeah, I smashed his window in, and he coughed up the money right then and there", and believing every word. :rofl:

Somehow I find you're "business education" a little uninspiring.

Tik-Tok
12-11-2013, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
Kijiji: Looking for 1/2 day thugs rental

Just don't pay a deposit...

rob the knob
12-11-2013, 07:09 PM
probably offer cash deal. cheaper and you pay no gst. cash only.

Aaand that's when I stopped reading.

So they got a new house built, why not ask the builder to build the garage as well? Lemme guess...cuz he was "4 times the price", and you thought you could find it cheaper?"

Call City licensing. He probably doesn't have the specific license that allows him to charge for deposits. If she has record of payment, then you'll just have to go the legal route.

mr2mike
12-11-2013, 08:05 PM
Terrible to still see people falling for these scams on Kijiji.

Weapon_R
12-11-2013, 09:45 PM
What's his last name?

FraserB
12-11-2013, 10:24 PM
Set up an "estimate" with him, explain what he did and exactly what he'll be doing to fix the situation.

supeg
12-11-2013, 11:03 PM
Well thanks for the not so helpful and some helpful replies. Yes she is a total moron for paying the guy, I got more info about it, I guess they got pictures of the guys Drivers Licence ect. before giving the money to him.

She really wanted the garage done during the winter, most if not all were already booked, which is why she turned to this guy. Yes she was gullible and got suckered, but this is not about that this is about getting her money back.

About the going Ghetto thing, it is what it is and not something I would talk about on a public forum.

I live three hours away, if I did not I would be at this guys house daily. This is another "Car Guy" forum so i thought some of you could be helpful.

Anyways, so the more info I got was

Name: Kirk Rogers
Driver Licence number: DL 141680-991
Drives a Red Pickup Truck 2004-2006

She spoke with the police, they are going to press Fraud Charges as well.

mr2mike
12-11-2013, 11:13 PM
Sounds like you've got all you need. Someone else send you this or your sister for his d/l#?

spikerS
12-11-2013, 11:16 PM
Well thanks for the not so helpful and some helpful replies. Yes she is a total moron for paying the guy, I got more info about it, I guess they got pictures of the guys Drivers Licence ect. before giving the money to him.

She really wanted the garage done during the winter, most if not all were already booked, which is why she turned to this guy. Yes she was gullible and got suckered, but this is not about that this is about getting her money back.

About the going Ghetto thing, it is what it is and not something I would talk about on a public forum.

I live three hours away, if I did not I would be at this guys house daily. This is another "Car Guy" forum so i thought some of you could be helpful.

hard to believe that he would let them photograph his licence with the intent of disappearing...

OP, stories like this do not add up. Either it is a fake ID or I imagine something like this happened.

sister: Hi, I saw you ad on Kijiji to build a garage, can you build one soon?
Kirk: Yeah, I can move some things around, can do it next week
Sister: Perfect!
Kirk: Give me an initial 3k deposit for initial supplies.
Sister: Done

FFD to the day before
Sister: Hi Kirk, we changed our mind, can we have our 3k back?
Kirk: Uhh, no, I am supposed to start work tomorrow and already purchased supplies.

Hero brother to the rescue.

Sorry OP, your story does not add up anymore. Something is fishy.

heavyfuel
12-11-2013, 11:21 PM
^^ R U fuckin serious??? Why on Earth would you put that on the OP right outta left field like that? Wow...

C_Dave45
12-11-2013, 11:23 PM

What is it you expect anyone on beyond to do for you? You have the guys details, right down to his DL and the police have agreed to press charges.

Good luck!

:closed:

supeg
12-11-2013, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by spikers

hard to believe that he would let them photograph his licence with the intent of disappearing...

OP, stories like this do not add up. Either it is a fake ID or I imagine something like this happened.

sister: Hi, I saw you ad on Kijiji to build a garage, can you build one soon?
Kirk: Yeah, I can move some things around, can do it next week
Sister: Perfect!
Kirk: Give me an initial 3k deposit for initial supplies.
Sister: Done

FFD to the day before
Sister: Hi Kirk, we changed our mind, can we have our 3k back?
Kirk: Uhh, no, I am supposed to start work tomorrow and already purchased supplies.

Hero brother to the rescue.

Sorry OP, your story does not add up anymore. Something is fishy.

Jesus....

No, the whole story is the guy came twice to do estimates, gave them a huge 6 page estimate, and got the deposit. They photographed his drivers licence ect as well.

Since then he does not return voice mails, emails, calls anything. It has been over a month.

Like I said another reply to the ad went to him under a different name and he replied instantly. It is pretty obvious the guy is going to disappear.

supeg
12-11-2013, 11:25 PM

What is it you expect anyone on beyond to do for you? You have the guys details, right down to his DL and the police have agreed to press charges.

Good luck!

She spoke to Police a second time after I posted this thread.

I posted to see if anyone knew anything, if anyone knew about something like this going around Calgary and could help.

I did not expect trolls like you because this is a Car Forum.

I was wrong.

C_Dave45
12-11-2013, 11:29 PM

She spoke to Police a second time after I posted this thread.

I posted to see if anyone knew anything, if anyone knew about something like this going around Calgary and could help.

I did not expect trolls like you because this is a Car Forum.

I was wrong.

Yes, clearly a car forum is where you go when you need advice on construction business and fraud. It's too bad you couldn't find someone who...oh I don't know...has been in the business for over 30 years and knows a thing or two about it.
But then again, I'm just a troll...so don't pay no attention to me.

You threaten going ghetto and then say "but I don't like to talk about it on a public forum". That's rich.

supeg
12-11-2013, 11:35 PM

Yes, clearly a car forum is where you go when you need advice on construction business and fraud. It's too bad you couldn't find someone who...oh I don't know...has been in the business for over 30 years and knows a thing or two about it.

You threaten going ghetto and then say "but I don't like to talk about it on a public forum". That's rich.

Thanks for all your helpful replies.

JRSC00LUDE
12-11-2013, 11:38 PM
Ahhh relax Dave, doers don't have time to talk and talkers don't do much!

We all know that absolutely ZERO "ghetto" is going to go down on this guy, no one with any ability is going to state a threat and then put the name of the recipient on public record so just enjoy the fun! :nut:

Mind you, with today's kids, "going ghetto" could just be a stern letter in a mailbox without using spelling/grammar check.....

heavyfuel
12-11-2013, 11:44 PM

Well a car forum is where some of you fine folk go and complain when:

-People are picking bottles out of your blue bins and you don't know how to stop it
-People are doing burnouts in your cul de sac and it gets sand into your vaginas
-Neighbors who happen to be renters engage in behaviors deemed offensive, from mundane to justified
-People get laid off and ask around looking for job leads

Just a few examples off the top of my head, 3 of which have nothing to do with cars and car forums. IMO a local forum is a good place to ask for local info. If it were certain Beyonders' sisters whom this happened to, this thread would be 49 pages of hot air by now.

roll_over
12-11-2013, 11:48 PM
The only way we will help is if you post pictures of your sister

JRSC00LUDE
12-11-2013, 11:52 PM
Nothing wrong with asking, Dave just got hung up in the posturing. Ask away, just filter the bullshit out a bit!

Besides Vincent, you complain about, call out, post about, and generally look down upon pretty much every subset of the population of Calgary that doesn't fit into your personal mold so...... :dunno:

heavyfuel
12-11-2013, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Nothing wrong with asking, Dave just got hung up in the posturing. Ask away, just filter the bullshit out a bit!

Besides Vincent, you complain about, call out, post about, and generally look down upon pretty much every subset of the population of Calgary that doesn't fit into your personal mold so...... :dunno:

Hey only my mom calls me Vincent lol

JRSC00LUDE
12-11-2013, 11:59 PM
Hahahaha! :D

And honestly, as cunty as that sounded, i was typing with a laugh!

C_Dave45
12-12-2013, 12:00 AM

Well a car forum is where some of you fine folk go and complain when:

-People are picking bottles out of your blue bins and you don't know how to stop it
-People are doing burnouts in your cul de sac and it gets sand into your vaginas
-Neighbors who happen to be renters engage in behaviors deemed offensive, from mundane to justified
-People get laid off and ask around looking for job leads

Just a few examples off the top of my head, 3 of which have nothing to do with cars and car forums. IMO a local forum is a good place to ask for local info. If it were certain Beyonders' sisters whom this happened to, this thread would be 49 pages of hot air by now.

You're so right. I'm sorry OP. Here, lets start all over again....

Hey Guys.

My sister just built a new house in Cochrane. They need to get a garage built so they turned to Kijiji to see if there were any winter builders. She gave a deposit of 3,000 dollars in cash and since then has never heard from the guy.

Any help or advice would be appreceated.

garagebuilders1.webs.com

and contact info is

Robert
Garage Builders 1
1629 12 Ave SW
Calgary, Ab T3C 0R3
403-540-5355

Originally posted by mr2mike
Sounds like you've got all you need.

Thanks for all your helpful replies.

You're welcome.

Good luck!

Was that better?

googe
12-12-2013, 12:07 AM
unfortunately he already spent the money on meth, and he will never get that much money again. but still beat him up.

spikerS
12-12-2013, 12:09 AM
^^ R U fuckin serious??? Why on Earth would you put that on the OP right outta left field like that? Wow...

Did it hurt your feelings? I don't think the story adds up one bit.

I guess I could have given the OP warning. something like "Hey, OP! In three posts I am going to drob a bomb on you, and blow this story up!" :rofl:

Jesus....

No, the whole story is the guy came twice to do estimates, gave them a huge 6 page estimate, and got the deposit. They photographed his drivers licence ect as well.

Since then he does not return voice mails, emails, calls anything. It has been over a month.

Like I said another reply to the ad went to him under a different name and he replied instantly. It is pretty obvious the guy is going to disappear.

No, I think that what you're saying is 3rd hand info. You have an emotional investment in this being as it is your sister.

There are 3 sides to every story.

The simple fact that he came out twice, with a detailed estimate, let your sister photograph his driver's licence and whatever, says to me he isn't trying to hide. If it was me trying to be a scammer, the last thing I am going to do, is voluntarily let you get any kind of evidence on who I am to hand over to the cops.

Your sister, by your own admission, is in a rush to get the garage built, and that usually means impatient and difficult to deal with. :dunno:

Like I said, 3 sides to every story, in this case, your sister's, Kirk's and then there is the truth. The best part about this is, we are not hearing any of those three stories, we are hearing the story told to you, by your sister, and then you relay it to us. The story your sister gives you is going to be one that casts her in the best possibly light, and you are naturally going to filter that further.

You may not like the replies you get here, but because they don't automatically align with your own, does not mean we are trolling. With the info you have given us, my gut says something is up, and it is not usually wrong. If I am wrong, sorry for that, my bad, but I don't think I am far off.

*edited for my horrible spelling, punctuation and grammar, holy fuck that was painful*:rofl:

TomcoPDR
12-12-2013, 12:19 AM

She really wanted the garage done during the winter, most if not all were already booked, which is why she turned to this guy.

I haven't heard of anyone able or willing to build residential garages in the middle of winter.

What if it was misunderstood that Kirk said he would start as soons as weather permits in March , 2014. And now he's on his Christmas vacation?

spikerS
12-12-2013, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

I haven't heard of anyone able or willing to build residential garages in the middle of winter.

What if it was misunderstood that Kirk said he would start as soons as weather permits in March , 2014. And now he's on his Christmas vacation?

If the pad is there, should not be an issue to frame it up and build it in winter.

Having said that, if the concrete is not down, good luck, it won't be getting done any time soon.

TomcoPDR
12-12-2013, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by spikers

If the pad is there, should not be an issue to frame it up and build it in winter.

Having said that, if the concrete is not down, good luck, it won't be getting done any time soon.

In this incident. It sounds like op sister is hiring Kirk for a new build garage. Doesn't make sense to pour concrete with original contractor (last pour for residential concrete guys I'm guessing last September), and then try hiring Kirk off kijiji.

Maybe I'm just high on eggnog :nut: I'm just not getting it

01RedDX
12-12-2013, 12:29 AM

spikerS
12-12-2013, 12:34 AM
Red, I very well could be wrong, and Kirk is a total DB.

the problem here is we are getting a very filtered version of the story, and not from any of the parties involved.

and tomco, i think there is some concrete that you can pour in the winter that has it's own heat set whatever in it, but I don't know if it is suitable for grages and pads or not.

JRSC00LUDE
12-12-2013, 12:36 AM
Well spikers, they pour foundations in the winter so, why not a pad?

AndyL
12-12-2013, 12:36 AM
Would it be unhelpful to comment that I saw pads being poured under tarps today?

I wouldn't want concrete poured in winter... But thats just me...

Isaiah
12-12-2013, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by roll_over
The only way we will help is if you post pictures of your sister
....and there it is.

I remember back in the good old days when that would have been among the top 5 replies. Kind of sad, really, that it now takes a whole page of replies before someone steps up.

TomcoPDR
12-12-2013, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Isaiah

....and there it is.

I remember back in the good old days when that would have been among the top 5 replies. Kind of sad, really, that it now takes a whole page of replies before someone steps up.

Either Beyond's matured or ppl with sisters gotten smarter

403ep3
12-12-2013, 08:55 AM
I just built a garage and the builders said they wouldn't start any projects after a specific month. I believe that was November.

supeg
12-12-2013, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by 403ep3
I just built a garage and the builders said they wouldn't start any projects after a specific month. I believe that was November.

Yes, that is what she was told as well.

Thanks for all the replies.

She said Police told her there have been other people in about this same guy in the last week, they will update her today.

Pad is already down, sounds like the builder is 2 years behind in building the Garages so everyone in the area is getting 3rd parties to build them.

It is a brand new Development in Cochrane with I would say about 80% of the houses complete and 20% of the garages.

supeg
12-12-2013, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

No kidding, for all we know the poor guy is going to come home to a pile of rude and nasty messages and emails... The start date was a crucial piece of info to leave out.

Start date was to be couple days later, this was over a month ago.

googe
12-12-2013, 12:00 PM
It's worth noting that this guy advertises WE BUILD GARAGES IN WINTER in big letters on his website.

ipeefreely
12-12-2013, 07:37 PM
My sister went to the address listed and gave a deposit of 3,000 dollars in cash (I know very fucken dumb, trust me I bitched her out) and since then has never heard from the guy.
Too bad she didn't pay with her credit card (unless he skims cards too...) she could just dispute it with them...

Originally posted by googe
unfortunately he already spent the money on meth, and he will never get that much money again. but still beat him up.
:rofl:

Originally posted by googe
It's worth noting that this guy advertises WE BUILD GARAGES IN WINTER in big letters on his website.
x2

Not sure why some of you guys are jumping all over the OP? :dunno:

heavyfuel
12-13-2013, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by ipeefreely

Too bad she didn't pay with her credit card (unless he skims cards too...) she could just dispute it with them...

:rofl:

x2

Not sure why some of you guys are jumping all over the OP? :dunno:

x3

Because the Spikers' Supreme Council doesn't believe OP haha

spikerS
12-13-2013, 10:00 AM

x3

Because the Spikers' Supreme Council doesn't believe OP haha

OH! OH! OH! Another person with a hard of for me, because it is more than one, can I call you and Red Groupies?