PDA

View Full Version : Tassimo versus Keurig

Masked Bandit
12-14-2013, 04:07 PM
So I'm considering buying one of these systems for the convenience angle. I'm not a coffee snob at all so I think this type of set up is a good way to go. I'm wondering which one to go with though. Who has had both? Do you think one brand or the other will become the dominant force in the market? I'm thinking this is another round of VHS versus Beta, one of them is going to be obsolete and I don't want to have to buy a second machine.

TIA.

Speed_69
12-14-2013, 04:17 PM
I've had both and prefer the Tassimo. I find it dispenses coffee a lot quicker than the Keurig from startup of the machine. You can also make espressos and lattes which is nice. It also has the option to add more water by pushing a button. Its annoying that the Keurig can't do this.

The Keurig is good if you want to use your own coffee. You can buy reusable k-cups and add your coffee. I don't believe theirs such thing as reusable t-discs.

firebane
12-14-2013, 04:54 PM
I prefer Keurig as they have better flavors and not sure about "quicker" but mine makes coffee plenty fast.

And it will make up to 16ozs so I can use my coffee container.

Black Gts
12-14-2013, 05:40 PM
Tassimo only has 1 flavour that fills my Costco coffee mug. I think i getting a keurig for weekday, and tTassimo for latte on the weekends. Imo the biggest choice is how big a cup do you want in the morning lol.

bourge73
12-14-2013, 06:07 PM
I like the tassimo after 2 crapped out keurigs ill never go back

Kritafo
12-14-2013, 06:42 PM
I have both Keurig and Tassimo but love my tassimo.

There are reusable disks now for the tassimo you have to order them online

http://www.my-cap.com/

Ven
12-14-2013, 07:16 PM
The thing about Tassimo is that it actually brews coffee. It controls water volume, pressure, temperature, and brew time. The machine can also make more complex brews, and even does decent lattes and caps. I also really like they use Bosch, mine has held up flawlessly for years now.

Keurig is basically hot water to coffee grinds and done. It's a bit too close to instant mix for me. Not that I don't enjoy their coffee, and certainly they have the market for selection and price. However you're asking about buying a COFFEE MACHINE to BREW COFFEE so why not buy the better equipment and actually brew a coffee?

firebane
12-14-2013, 07:30 PM
There is no happy medium for these machines. They both do completely different things.

If you want the best for everything you would end up with 3 or 4 machines on your countertop which is just crazy.

Figure out what your needs are then go from there. Personally the choices for coffee is better through Keurig than Tassimo for my likings.

I am currently THROUGHLY enjoying my Cafe Del Leche coffee and my girlfriend likes her Caramel Drizzle.

And how is a Keurig any different than a coffee machine? Both run hot water through coffee grounds.

Unknown303
12-14-2013, 07:40 PM
Keurig if you just want coffee and plan on adding your own cream/milk/booze? and Tassimo if you like Lattes, cappuccinos, hot chocolate etc. That's what I've found anyways. I prefer espressos, cappuccinos and stuff along those lines so the Tassimo fit my needs a lot better.

Teknix
12-15-2013, 09:58 AM
I bought a $99 Tassimo and it crapped out after about 6 months. I can't compare it to Keurig but what I can say is... invest in a higher model and don't justbuy the cheapest one.

aaronck
12-16-2013, 03:52 PM
we have both at work, and I don't like either...

I got the Bunn Mycafe and think it's great, fills up my travel mug no problem, and has an optional drawer that you can use with your own grinds, which is pretty great. I've recommended to a few friends and they like it as well...

http://www.bunnathome.com/

bjstare
12-16-2013, 04:10 PM
I had a Tassimo and use a Keurig every day at work.

The lattes and capps that the Tassimo does are okay - great for at home if you don't actually have an espresso machine, but still won't compare to what you'd make with an actual espresso machine/get at starbucks.

As for regular brew type coffee, I MUCH prefer the Tassimo. Every type of keurig coffee I've tried has a bit of a bitter taste, and there's little micro grounds in the bottom of the cup. I think they're actually pretty gross.

Have you looked into Nespresso? If I was going to do this again, I'd be cross-shopping Tassimo and Nespresso, Keurig wouldn't even make it onto my radar.

spikerS
12-16-2013, 04:37 PM
I have both, and my tassimo is sitting under my counter, untouched for the past -10 months.

My keurig is the cats ass. I can select the size of my coffee and brew temps. Also, I find there are more flavors for the coffee, and I think it was cheaper with keurig.

but the biggest and best reason, at the time, it was the only one that gave me the option to use my own coffee in it if I wanted, lattes and crap dont mean anything to me, the tassimo does a shit job anyways with those.

Keurig gets my vote.

But having said all that, a brand new Keurig has a horrible smell, takes like 10-15 runs to get rid of it, and lots of vinegar.

civic_stylez
12-16-2013, 06:22 PM
Not to get off topic but I have the Nespresso Citz+Milk and it makes the most amazing coffee/lattes and especially espressos Ive had. Im a chronic espresso/latte drinker and I was spending $12/day easily on coffees from starbucks. For $300.00, the nespresso is heaven. Comes out to around 60-70 cents a cup depending on what coffee you are using. I use the Keurig at the office for tea but if youre big on good coffee, Nespresso is worth considering.

http://www.nespresso.com/#/no/en/coffee_machines/selecteur_gamme/machines-citiz/citiz-nespresso-citizmilk-auto-c120-re---110-v-1

DeleriousZ
12-16-2013, 06:24 PM
I've had the Keurig for a year or so now and haven't had any issues with it. I wish it had a 20oz option but aside from that it's great.

eiysa101
12-17-2013, 03:03 PM
Where can I the cheapest Kcups online?

toyboy88
12-17-2013, 07:52 PM
In case anyone is looking, Amazon has a special on their Tassimos right now…extra 25% off with code:

http://www.redflagdeals.com/deal/appliances/amazonca-25-off-select-tassimo-brewers-with-promo-code/

T20 ($43) / T47 $56 / T55 $71

I haven't had either before, but ordered a T20 yesterday for $5 (after $40 in Amazon credit used). Still probably just buy my coffee on way to work/out (like I do know), but nice to have (especially at $5 for me).

:D

spikerS
12-17-2013, 08:16 PM
Seriously, I still have a pretty new Tassimo sitting under my counter, if anyone wants it, let me know. I even still have some T-discs to go with it.

schocker
12-17-2013, 08:23 PM
I have a keurig as I wanted to brew my own coffee also and liked the flavors better. I see that the lattes though are actual milk on the tassimo, keurig ones are like coconut oil. I do like the keurig selection of flavors as they seem to be much more plentiful and I have a couple of those ekobrews which are great for your own coffee.

DeeK
12-18-2013, 01:05 AM
I've had both, but at the end of the day:

Keurig > Tassimo, /thread

revelations
12-18-2013, 01:44 AM
How would you guys rate a Tassimo to a French-press? I switched years ago to the FP from a drip and it was noticeably better.

Unknown303
12-18-2013, 07:27 AM
Nothing is better than the FP. Unless you get a quality espresso machine. I have a hand crank burr grinder and FP at work. :drool:

revelations
12-18-2013, 09:19 AM
Thanks, thats what I was thinking. Hot, filtered water and beans .... :love:

Unknown303
12-18-2013, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by revelations
Thanks, thats what I was thinking. Hot, filtered water and beans .... :love:

I just finished my morning FP. I love the last cup where it's built up some sediment on the bottom. So strong. :drool:

revelations
12-18-2013, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Unknown303

I just finished my morning FP. I love the last cup where it's built up some sediment on the bottom. So strong. :drool:

I reuse the grinds for an evening coffee .... just add more hot water!

kenny
12-18-2013, 01:32 PM
Keurig also has "V-cups" with their Kuerig Vue system. It's bigger than the K-cup and has a separate filter pack inside for those that want to open it up and separate the plastic cup part for recycling. The brewers seem to fix most of the complaints of the K cup system. The V cups are bigger and the brewers have an option to pulse water through the cup slowly to make a stronger brew.

They could've added this to K cup brewers but since the patent on those cups is over, there is less money to be made there. :P

Graham_A_M
12-31-2013, 06:16 PM
Kind of off topic, but I was at Fivebucks grabbing a coffee not too long ago, and noticed their Verismo machines. These.
http://www.starbucksstore.ca/on/demandware.store/Sites-StarbucksCA-Site/default/Search-Show?cgid=verismo-machines&utm_source=Sbuxcom&utm_medium=ShopTab&utm_campaign=verismomachines&utm_term=evergreen

^Anybody have any experience? Looks like the Verismo 600 is the best bet. Abiet more pricey, and asides from Starbucks website, I dont know where else to get pods and the like... but what do you guys think?

BrknFngrs
12-31-2013, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Kind of off topic, but I was at Fivebucks grabbing a coffee not too long ago, and noticed their Verismo machines. These.
http://www.starbucksstore.ca/on/demandware.store/Sites-StarbucksCA-Site/default/Search-Show?cgid=verismo-machines&utm_source=Sbuxcom&utm_medium=ShopTab&utm_campaign=verismomachines&utm_term=evergreen

^Anybody have any experience? Looks like the Verismo 600 is the best bet. Abiet more pricey, and asides from Starbucks website, I dont know where else to get pods and the like... but what do you guys think?

Quick browse online shows some pretty negative reviews for the Verismo line on Amazon. Issues seem to relate largely to the pods themselves (portions, quality, price); enough reason for me to not be interested.

toyboy88
12-31-2013, 06:45 PM
Not sure if this has been asked/covered before, but what do you do with your T-Discs (after use)?

I tried Google for some answers on 'recycling' them...but only thing I find is a company that collects them to make plastic products (but catch is, you need to have like 500+ T-Discs before they cover shipping to them/accept it).

Does everyone else just toss them...? :dunno:

Unknown303
12-31-2013, 10:16 PM
Tossing is all you can do..

The_Penguin
01-04-2014, 07:18 PM
Had both, prefer the Tassimo. Keurig takes a while to heat up, clogs occasionally too.

Also, Timmy's has Tassimo discs.

firebane
01-04-2014, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by The_Penguin
Had both, prefer the Tassimo. Keurig takes a while to heat up, clogs occasionally too.

Also, Timmy's has Tassimo discs.

Had Keurig for over 3 years never clogged yet. Doesn't take long to heat up at all. The longest part of its business is sucking more water in for the coffee.

Also, Timmys has Keurig.

adamc
01-05-2014, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by civic_stylez
Not to get off topic but I have the Nespresso Citz+Milk and it makes the most amazing coffee/lattes and especially espressos Ive had. Im a chronic espresso/latte drinker and I was spending $12/day easily on coffees from starbucks. For $300.00, the nespresso is heaven. Comes out to around 60-70 cents a cup depending on what coffee you are using. I use the Keurig at the office for tea but if youre big on good coffee, Nespresso is worth considering.

http://www.nespresso.com/#/no/en/coffee_machines/selecteur_gamme/machines-citiz/citiz-nespresso-citizmilk-auto-c120-re---110-v-1

THIS.

Got a Nespresso Pixie recently, and the end product is consistently fantastic.

This is coming from a guy who buys stump town/fratello/p&s beans and burr grinds+french presses his coffee.

For a 1 touch and go system, the nespresso system can't be beat.

adamc
01-05-2014, 02:05 PM
Thinking about upgrading to the Latissima unit with in-line removable milk storage. I use the separate frother unit for Lattes quite frequently.

civic_stylez
01-05-2014, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by adamc
Thinking about upgrading to the Latissima unit with in-line removable milk storage. I use the separate frother unit for Lattes quite frequently.

We have considered the same.. we took the separate frother to see how often we would use it but the Latissima seems like a good future investment for us. The rep for Nespresso said the pump is strong enough for heavy fluids like baileys and whole milk so im covered for the days i feel like being fat or drunk (or both)

The_Penguin
01-05-2014, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by firebane

Also, Timmys has Keurig.

Did not know that. Cool.

Originally posted by Unknown303
Tossing is all you can do..

Sigh... I hear ya :)