PDA

View Full Version : powder coating...

ToanZ_StyleZ
02-26-2004, 05:44 PM
how much would it cost to powder coat 17" rims to white???
and where can it be done??
thinkin of doin this to my konig monsoons...

calgarys13
02-26-2004, 06:55 PM
top gun coatings....if you wanna wait 3 weeks only place in calgary to my knowledge...u can buy a powder coating kit from eastwood (www.eastwood.com) for under 200 bucks:thumbsup:

t3rry
02-26-2004, 06:57 PM
lotsa places will do podwer coating but most are a minumum of $100 so you might wanna find a couple other people who wanna get thier rims done too

1-Bar
02-26-2004, 06:59 PM
be warned though...powder coating MAY weaken the strength of the rims depending on what's it made out of.

DUBBED
02-26-2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by t3rry
so you might wanna find a couple other people who wanna get thier rims done too

Why?

Just go to Alberta wheels repair or whatever it's called and get them to refinish your wheels whatever color you want. Shouldn't cost more than $450.

7thgenvic
02-26-2004, 10:22 PM
dats super expensive, and why would it weeken the rim! isn't it just like a new coating on top of the rim?????? me so confused

ToanZ_StyleZ
02-27-2004, 05:09 AM
yeah, i was thinkin of alberta wheels but i only thought that they repair rims not powder coat it neways thanx...

t3rry
02-27-2004, 09:00 AM
powder coating might compromise the strength because they have to bake the paint onto it in an oven... although i have had everal sets of rims powder coated (my brother used to work at a shop) and i have never had a problem with strength

Blue Devil 2
02-27-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by calgarys13
top gun coatings

:werd: Top Gun, but you have to have your wheels sand blasted first before you bring them there.

carmex
02-27-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by 1-Bar
be warned though...powder coating may weaken the strength of the rims depending on what's it made out of.

haha...wow, this calls for another:bullshit:

carmex
02-27-2004, 01:59 PM
People who worry about powder coating are just paranoid, I have had 2 sets done, gun and steelies, with absolutely no problems.

bigboom
02-27-2004, 02:02 PM
go to bear coat and talk to Todd...they did an awesome job on my old wheels. people that say powdercoating weakens the rims most likely do not know what they are talking about. they bake it but its not a very high temperature...if your wheels cant handle that heat then id be worried about driving on them.

sputnik
02-27-2004, 02:03 PM
powder coating rims isnt the best idea... powder coating doesnt flex as much as some rims do which will leave small hairline cracks in the powdercoat.

you are better off getting the rims painted with an epoxy based paint.

7thgenvic
02-27-2004, 04:54 PM
maybe not then!~!!! maybe i just will be a pussyand keep them silver

1-Bar
03-01-2004, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by carmex

haha...wow, this calls for another:bullshit:

BS?!? Okay....why?? It all depends on the material that your powder coating. The processes involves backing the wheels at high temperatures. At these temps metals expand, then when the wheels are cooled, the metal retracts, but when they cool they will not cool to the original shape. There will be larger gaps between the metal and this is why it weakens rims. It all depends on what the wheel is made out of. If they are quality ones like forged, since they are hammered, then folded over and over again, they will not weaken as much as lets say cast wheels....

IMO I would just get the wheels painted....

MM99lude
03-01-2004, 11:41 PM
Would a powder coating place be able to powder coat a valve cover red?

Blue Devil 2
03-02-2004, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by MM99lude
Would a powder coating place be able to powder coat a valve cover red?

Yes, here is an example from Top Gun:

MM99lude
03-02-2004, 01:38 AM
wow that looks good! how much did that cost? and how long did it take?

Zero102
03-02-2004, 09:12 AM
IIRC, I heard that the only time powdercoating weakens the wheels is when they are magnesium, or have magnesium in them.
But that could be BS as well.
I might be looking into having some valve covers and manifolds powder coated in a year or so, so this is a very helpful thread.

bigboom
03-02-2004, 09:46 AM
talking to the guys at BearCoat they bake the rims at 350F or aorund that. Thats only about 160 degrees celcius, i highly doubt that an alloy wheel cannot stand up to that. think about how hot your brakes and rotors get under heavy driving and think about the heat transfer from that onto your wheels. your wheel better be able to easily withstand 160 degrees celcius or you shouldnt be driving on them anyways.

powdercoating cracking? from my knowledge you spray a powder on that is attracted by electrically charging the wheel, how can that not be flexible?

eblend
03-17-2004, 11:34 AM
I am going to get my motegies powder coated...maybe gunmetal color or dark great, they are silver right now.

I got my engine coated about a year ago, and this stuff is so easy to clean! I will use that coat stripped ro get rid of the paint and then get em coated. Can't wait!

here is a pic of my engine when i coated it
http://www3.telus.net/eblend/Car/IM008955.JPG
and this is my poor wheel that got curbed when i was driving during winter once...bad idea on 712 supras
http://www3.telus.net/eblend/Car/IM008958.JPG

7thgenvic
03-18-2004, 12:34 AM
do you guys think it would be possible to chrome the outer lip on konig verdicts and get the middle and spokes a darker opal?????? or would that look good???

africano
03-18-2004, 01:04 AM
i think it would look good:thumbsup: .
companies do it, so a coating-place should be able to do it:dunno:

MM99lude
03-18-2004, 01:08 AM
ya i agree jonny if u did that to the verdicts u should keep them and that combo would look great!

7thgenvic
03-18-2004, 01:19 AM
i am keeping them, i was sad that everyone was lowballing when i had them for sale so i might as well just get them a darker opal and chrome the lip, they look tight as it is, just can't wait to throw them on, sooo where is this alberta wheel place?????