PDA

View Full Version : Why aren't stealerships open on Sundays?

Tik-Tok
12-15-2013, 04:15 PM
I get that financing etc. wouldn't be possible on a Sunday, but why the hell aren't any of them open, just so you can look at cars, and test drive them? It's pretty much the only day of the week when an entire family can get together and go car shopping.

swak
12-15-2013, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
I get that financing etc. wouldn't be possible on a Sunday, but why the hell aren't any of them open, just so you can look at cars, and test drive them? It's pretty much the only day of the week when an entire family can get together and go car shopping.

Because working on Sunday's sucks (from the dealerships perspective).... Just a known fact, most are open evenings and saturdays - industry standard.

ddduke
12-15-2013, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
It's pretty much the only day of the week when an entire family can get together and go car shopping.

so you don't have to deal with the entire annoying family:dunno:

Rat Fink
12-15-2013, 04:42 PM

swak
12-15-2013, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by ddduke

Definitely This.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

killramos
12-15-2013, 04:44 PM
What's so wrong with a Saturday? Or any evening for that matter.

They probably figure it isn't making any difference on sales since people are going to buy cars regardless.

If you are that interested in Sundays may I digest kijiji?

Isaiah
12-15-2013, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by killramos

If you are that interested in Sundays may I digest kijiji?
I'd suggest some pepto to go with that.

NoMoreG35
12-15-2013, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by ddduke

:thumbsup:

Jokes aside, I think it's required by MDA.

pf0sh0
12-15-2013, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
....The same reason you have the day off with your family.

and it is required by MDA... that is why you see some used car dealerships open on Sunday, because they aren't in the association

ExtraSlow
12-15-2013, 05:20 PM
A lot of sales people work on 100% commission. Having the dealership open another day would just mean that those folks would be working an extra day, but the total number of cars sold per week would remain the same. In short, it would suck.

dj_rice
12-15-2013, 08:52 PM
Must be a regional thing. All the dealerships here in Edmonton, most are open 11-5pm Sundays. (Sales/Showroom)

Mixalot27
12-15-2013, 09:01 PM
I always figured it was because car salesmen need sundays off to repent and pray for forgiveness for all the poor bastards they ripped off during the week. :thumbsup:

ExtraSlow
12-15-2013, 09:03 PM
Come to think of it, I was at a Nissan dealer on a sunday a while ago. Brasso in the auto mall.

lilmira
12-15-2013, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Mixalot27
I always figured it was because car salesmen need sundays off to repent and pray for forgiveness for all the poor bastards they ripped off during the week. :thumbsup:

Church lol

Team_Mclaren
12-15-2013, 09:39 PM
Dealers are open on Sundays in Vancouver fyi. Personally I think that's retarded

Sugarphreak
12-15-2013, 09:44 PM

AE92_TreunoSC
12-15-2013, 09:48 PM
It's like killramos said, the car sales figures would likely be the same.

If you're serious about buying a car you'll make time rather than forcing people to work a Sunday.

I bought my last 2 cars from dealerships mid-week.

RY213
12-15-2013, 10:05 PM
I think it's nice to browse lots on Sunday and not be annoyed by salespeople...

Team_Mclaren
12-15-2013, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

What why? That is the prefect time for your average clients (people who actually work day jobs) to come in and browse cars?

A vehicle purchase is not like buying a TV, you either want one or need one, opening on Sun or not likely wont change anyone's decision to make a purchase.

Dealers are open till 9pm nightly. You cant possibly tell me that you cant make a trip to "browse" during the week....

Sugarphreak
12-15-2013, 10:32 PM

jdmXSI
12-15-2013, 10:53 PM
Brasso Nissan is the only dealership open on Sunday in Calgary because they are not part of the cmda. Not complaining but being solely on commission there would be weeks where one wouldn't get a day off. It would really suck! Believe it or not, there are some normal sales people out there who actually have families and dont go get shit faced every weekend. But yeah, you would really just thin out the amount the number of deals from the rest of the week.

Tik-Tok
12-15-2013, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

Dealers are open till 9pm nightly. You cant possibly tell me that you cant make a trip to "browse" during the week....

Not all of us work 9-5. Should I go when I'm working 11am to 11pm, or when I work 4am to 4pm and have to be in bed by 8?

googe
12-16-2013, 12:19 AM
They're open Sunday here. Seems dumb to close on the day that the shoppers are out.

DeeK
12-16-2013, 12:43 AM
There's a handful of stealerships open on Sundays. Just gotta find out which ones. Also, I think they are all open by appointment on Sunday.

khanan
12-16-2013, 01:33 AM
Hey, even thieves gotta sleep. No?

heavyfuel
12-16-2013, 07:31 AM

Gonna need more than one day a week for that.

Masked Bandit
12-16-2013, 08:27 AM
Brasso has actually been doing it for a number of years. I'm quite surprised that the rest haven't followed.

spikerS
12-16-2013, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Brasso has actually been doing it for a number of years. I'm quite surprised that the rest haven't followed.

It has always bugged me. I do my research and compare on the weekends, and not being able to go a physically inspect something, cuts my weekend in half.

I remember a number of years ago, they were open on the weekends, but closed on Monday. I really liked that option.

Canucks3322
12-16-2013, 09:12 AM
Isn't it obvious, they have to go to confessional for ripping off people Monday to Friday.

Looks like someone beat me to it lol...in all seriousness, I'd say sales tactic, creates more urgency and exclusivity?

Tik-Tok
12-16-2013, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Canucks3322

Looks like someone beat me to it lol...in all seriousness, I'd say sales tactic, creates more urgency and exclusivity?

I guess so. If people can't get their financing on a Sunday, then they have overnight to think about it, and possibly not buy the car (or just more time to do research, and decide they can get a better deal)

Just seems ridiculous that almost every other service/sales for the general public has been open for decades on Sundays, but still not dealerships.

Redlyne_mr2
12-16-2013, 10:29 PM
A car shouldn't be and isn't an impulse buy like an iPod of a shirt from brooks brothers. There are 6 other days in the week including evenings to work out a car deal. Most of my business is actually done over the phone which is nice. We all need a day off and it's nice to have Sundays off with my friends/family, keeps life normal. In Quebec dealers are closed evenings and weekends while holding still holding the highest customer service index in the country.

Sorath
12-17-2013, 07:31 AM
Cmda. Brasso isn't apart of cmda

swak
12-17-2013, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Sorath
Cmda. Brasso isn't apart of cmda

What's the benefit of being partof cmds (which everyone seems to be part of)?
And why isn't Brasso? Seems odd.

Tik-Tok
12-17-2013, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
. In Quebec dealers are closed evenings and weekends while holding still holding the highest customer service index in the country.

Quebec also has the highest rate of slackers, who have no problem calling in sick so they can look at a car in the middle of a weekday.

Seriously though, it's a consumer based service industry, yet dealerships don't bother being open when typical consumers have the day off. With the notion that "it won't effect sales". You can say that about a lot of products. The Apple Store certainly wouldn't NEED to be open Sunday's either, but they are.

Anyways, back to my original question, just wondering if there is a legit reason why (as in it's illegal or something), since no dealerships are open (Except Brasso, which I didn't realize). Not just "because we like Sundays off". Why would CMDA place restrictions?

Sugarphreak
12-17-2013, 10:02 AM

speedmaster
12-17-2013, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Why not just substitute two other slower days during the week to take off instead? If I had the option to do that I would in a second… less traffic on the roads, more places open, no crowded stores.

The reason I work weekdays is because it is for collaboration with other businesses. I don’t work evenings or weekends because my clients are not available. (ok not totally true, I do occasionally collaborate with overseas offices… and in those cases I sometimes work as early as 4:00am or as late as 9:30pm at night). In a consumer orientated business like a dealership where your clientele are busy during your regular work hours, it only makes sense to try and tailor your hours of availability when time permits.

This. Pretty dumb to open when most people are at work, then close when most people are free. Duh.

interlude
12-18-2013, 11:01 AM

Also, they need sundays to count the stacks of money they have swindled from people.