PDA

View Full Version : Snow On Roof. Need To Remove?

dj_rice
12-16-2013, 02:32 PM
With the past few snow storms, there is tons of snow building up on my roof. Probably 20-30 cm worth.

Was at Costco and they are selling extendable roof shovels and then on the news there was a report about roof collapsing in and etc.

Is this something I should be worried about to do? House is a two story so not sure how one would even go about this.

First-time home owner so just curious. So far everyone in the neighborhood hasn't done anything yet either.

speedog
12-16-2013, 03:28 PM
Not enough snow load to be concerned about IMHO - we've had close to 2 feet on our patio roof and it had no issues.

lilmira
12-16-2013, 03:42 PM
It would be a really shoddy roof to collapse under that amount of snow. Unless your roof is deflecting a lot or if you see something odd, nothing to worry about.

firebane
12-16-2013, 03:42 PM
Snow on roof is a good sign! No snow on roof is a bad sign.

Natural insulation at its finest.

codetrap
12-16-2013, 05:18 PM
I asked my dad about that once, when years ago we had something like 3 feet of wet heavy snow on the roof, and his answer was that the joists are engineered to handle a LOT of snow. I think it was measured in pounds per square foot.... now think about the lbs per square foot YOU exert on the roof...

spikerS
12-16-2013, 05:27 PM
unless you have 4+ feet of snow everywhere on your roof, you have nothing to worry about, unless your roof and joists are rotten.

dj_rice
12-16-2013, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the answers guys. I can rest assured now.

:clap: Much appreciated to you all. God bless and Merry X-Mas

ipeefreely
12-16-2013, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Was at Costco and they are selling extendable roof shovels and then on the news there was a report about roof collapsing in and etc.

I bought one a couple of years ago and I use it to remove the overhanging snow around my doors and back walkway (between by house and garage)...

I'd be more worry if you have a flat roof than a pitched one... :dunno:

I saw that on the news too... those roof guys probably call the news stations to drum up business... :banghead:

revelations
12-16-2013, 09:11 PM
On the west coast one year we got 80cm of wet slop. We did shovel the edges of the roof to keep the gutters from breaking, but otherwise fine.