PDA

View Full Version : Who applies wallpaper?

GTS Jeff
12-16-2013, 08:31 PM
I'm looking for a good company that can is experienced with wallpapering. I bought some online thinking it'd be the stick on type but it turns out it needs paste. It comes in a few cut up rectangles and I need to cover two 8x9' walls.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction? Thanks

98brg2d
12-16-2013, 10:39 PM
I think most of us have our wives do it.

Most painters can do it though.

GTS4tw
12-16-2013, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by 98brg2d

Most painters can do it though.

Not likely!!

Go to the store that you are buying the wallpaper from, they should have a recommendation.

I would recommend against random painters, unless they can physically show you work (not photos), and it looks perfect.

Signed - A random painter.

P.S. Wallpaper sucks, and only looks good in old folks homes. Faux finish is so much better, and painters can apply that!

JustinMCS
12-16-2013, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by GTS4tw

P.S. Wallpaper sucks, and only looks good in old folks homes.

wrong

signed - a designer

;)

Env-Consultant
12-17-2013, 05:58 AM
Maybe see if someone from the 1970s can do it for you....:dunno:

Kidding, in all honesty, have you searched how-to videos online? It's wallpaper - you can figure it out. It's like the person posting about how to fix a small drywall hole - you guys can do that stuff - take half an hour, read/learn how to do it, buy what you need, and do it. If you screw it up, redo it. Show your kids how to do it too so they aren't adults paying somebody to do something every homeowner should have basic knowledge of. Major fixes are understandable.

Learn it and have fun with it. You'll get something out of it and your kids will think you're a hero.

Seth1968
12-17-2013, 07:30 AM
P.S. Wallpaper sucks, and only looks good in old folks homes.

Wow. That might be true if you pick out some god awful floral pattern, but wallpaper design has come a long way since.

When I reno'd my 70's bathroom (yes, ugly wood paneling), I covered the paneling with paintable wallpaper that had a very modern design/texture. After painting it, it looks amazing. Visitors who use the can often comment how cool it looks, and ask how I did it.

GTS4tw
12-17-2013, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Seth1968

Wow. That might be true if you pick out some god awful floral pattern, but wallpaper design has come a long way since.

When I reno'd my 70's bathroom (yes, ugly wood paneling), I covered the paneling with paintable wallpaper that had a very modern design/texture. After painting it, it looks amazing. Visitors who use the can often comment how cool it looks, and ask how I did it.

Sorry not a fan at all. I have seen thousands of designs. IMO painting wallpaper is the tackyest thing you can do to a wall. It also makes it so hard to remove cleanly.

C_Dave45
12-17-2013, 10:55 AM

Sorry not a fan at all. I have seen thousands of designs. IMO painting wallpaper is the tackyest thing you can do to a wall. It also makes it so hard to remove cleanly.

If you've ever stayed at any high-end hotels, all the rooms are all wallpaper. This isn't the $49/roll stuff. You probably didn't even realize it's wall paper. This stuff usually starts at around $300/roll.

We're not talking about your Gramma's house.

http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/cms-content/assets/images/know-how/buying-guides/wallpaper/large-image_wallpaper-gallery-living-room.jpg

But something along these lines:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/29th%20Anniversary%20Vancouver/IMG_3032.jpg

BananaFob
12-17-2013, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
[B]

If you've ever stayed at any high-end hotels, all the rooms are all wallpaper. This isn't the $49/roll stuff. You probably didn't even realize it's wall paper. This stuff usually starts at around $300/roll.

+1

I've been thinking of doing wallpaper in my place for a while now... Likely going to go with this stuff:
http://www.arte-international.com/

but it's $$$

JRSC00LUDE
12-17-2013, 11:25 AM
IMO painting wallpaper is the tackyest thing you can do to a wall. It also makes it so hard to remove cleanly.

If wallpaper is installed properly with the right primer on the wall and the correct adhesive, you can peel it off like a dream. Today's wallcoverings rule, there is some kick ass stuff out there!

EDIT:

I think he was talking about painting over wallpaper, if so I stick to my original statement. Having removed a few thousand pounds of it.

I missed the painting over it part..... :nut:

GTS4tw
12-17-2013, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

If wallpaper is installed properly with the right primer on the wall and the correct adhesive, you can peel it off like a dream. Today's wallcoverings rule, there is some kick ass stuff out there!

I think he was talking about painting over wallpaper, if so I stick to my original statement. Having removed a few thousand pounds of it.

GTS4tw
12-17-2013, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/cms-content/assets/images/know-how/buying-guides/wallpaper/large-image_wallpaper-gallery-living-room.jpg

But something along these lines:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/29th%20Anniversary%20Vancouver/IMG_3032.jpg

I have, and I think it is fugly. I have done it for a few customers, and it makes their place look like a hotel/old folks home/conference center.

npham
12-17-2013, 02:35 PM
Don't let people tell you it's old school or tacky, because it's very trendy with my designer friends. We put up Farrow and Ball wallpaper and there was only 2 guys in town that were recommended to me by my designer friend(she does decorating for showhomes, including the one on the Stampede grounds) and another guy who has been doing it for ages and comes highly recommended.

Ron Dumbarton - Heritage Decorating 403 276-5579
OR
Steven Semisch - Modern Wall Design 403 671-6774

Ron was the one who installed ours, but Steven was the one I was hoping for as my schedule didn't line up. However, Ron was amazing. I would use him again in a heartbeat after dealing with him.

barmanjay
12-17-2013, 05:20 PM
Wall paper looks really good in some applications.
we put it in our house.

barmanjay
12-17-2013, 05:32 PM
our dining room

GTS Jeff
12-17-2013, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by npham
Don't let people tell you it's old school or tacky, because it's very trendy with my designer friends. We put up Farrow and Ball wallpaper and there was only 2 guys in town that were recommended to me by my designer friend(she does decorating for showhomes, including the one on the Stampede grounds) and another guy who has been doing it for ages and comes highly recommended.

Ron Dumbarton - Heritage Decorating 403 276-5579
OR
Steven Semisch - Modern Wall Design 403 671-6774

Ron was the one who installed ours, but Steven was the one I was hoping for as my schedule didn't line up. However, Ron was amazing. I would use him again in a heartbeat after dealing with him.

Thank you!

01RedDX
12-17-2013, 06:21 PM

npham
12-18-2013, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

Thank you!

No problem.

SOAB
12-18-2013, 11:52 AM
my sister has 1 wall in her house that has wallpaper on it. it is considered a feature wall and i have to say that it looks great!

used in the right application, wallpaper can and will look good.