PDA

View Full Version : Work Christmas Party

stealth
12-18-2013, 09:22 AM
I know most companies tighten up their budgets this time of the year in order to meet financial goals.

I was wondering, has a company you worked for ever cancelled a Christmas Party because of budget constraints?

The company I work for did this, this year because we are in the hole. I find it odd that such a big company would do something like this.

Anyone else?

lilmira
12-18-2013, 09:34 AM
Nope, but I'd rather keep the paycheque than going to some party.

Mitsu3000gt
12-18-2013, 09:34 AM
It's never been canceled but in 2008 with $30 oil we moved from an all expenses paid 2 nights + dinner & brunch at the Banff Springs to a local event. They are still lots of fun though.

Pre-2008 some customers would fly us to New York for Christmas or take the guys to Vegas and the girls to a Spa somewhere. That doesn't happen anymore haha.

Phihalo
12-18-2013, 11:11 AM
During the time I worked overseas and during the finiancial crisis back in 2008, all iBanks - GS/CS/MS/DB all cancelled their year end party and have been like that pretty much ever since. People would still throw in their own dept party though, just not on the large scale like they used to.

jwslam
12-18-2013, 01:11 PM
I'm on Xmas party #5 this friday LOL

The corporate one though, they did scale back on the menu, gifts (got cut), and the amount of free booze though.

ercchry
12-18-2013, 01:18 PM
first year, open bar, door prizes, etc... next two years... a lunch buffet and yes... we had to work the afternoon too :cry:

spikerS
12-18-2013, 01:29 PM
first year, the party was awesome on the stampede grounds. actual sit down dining, good food choices, lots of prizes and trips. Grand prize trip was like a 2 week safari to africa.

Next one, Flames central, horrible food, no seating, best door prize was an iPad.

one was at the science center, and that one was good.

but like 6/8 parties with my company have been at flames central, and they have sucked.

and the biggest kick to the balls? We have to pay out of pocket for tickets for the event.

I stopped going.

n1zm0
12-18-2013, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Phihalo
People would still throw in their own dept party though, just not on the large scale like they used to.

This is the case for us, except we got 2 parties this year because we support engineering.

On the whole though, don't seem to need a huge xmas party for my company when you have your SO working in o&g.

So far this month i've gone to about 3 of her work or vendors-hosted gatherings with one this Friday again, no expenses spared in that particular part of the industry :nut:

busdepot
12-18-2013, 03:30 PM
Last year the company I was with had a lunch at a not very expensive restaurant on 17th (although this could be due to the lady who was in charge of planning being a complete fucking cunt). This year we had a great party at Banff Springs incl. accom. All depends on the year dude. Not a huge deal IMO.

At the end of the day, your paycheque is all that matters. You shouldn't consider the Christmas party a form of compensation, even though they are a nice treat.

flipstah
12-18-2013, 03:38 PM
We had our Christmas party for our floor today. Including a wine draw!

Mmm, food coma. :drool:

Leftovers on our floor, btw. :thumbsup:

stealth
12-18-2013, 03:42 PM
I couldn't care less about the party, but it seems pretty pathetic/broke of the company to cut something out like that.

A790
12-18-2013, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by stealth
I couldn't care less about the party, but it seems pretty pathetic/broke of the company to cut something out like that.
We struggled a bit this year to find the budget for a party, so we (the owners) each pitched a few hundred and had something small at the office.

It wasn't anything spectacular but I wanted something instead of nothing for our staff...

403ep3
12-18-2013, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
We had our Christmas party for our floor today. Including a wine draw!

Mmm, food coma. :drool:

Leftovers on our floor, btw. :thumbsup:

Send it over! :clap:

ipeefreely
12-18-2013, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by spikers
...and the biggest kick to the balls? We have to pay out of pocket for tickets for the event.

I stopped going.
We've always had to pay at my work, so I only go when someone buys me a ticket! :nut:

Which has only been once! :cry: and after that experience I'm really not miss anything! :rofl:

swak
12-18-2013, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by A790

We struggled a bit this year to find the budget for a party, so we (the owners) each pitched a few hundred and had something small at the office.

It wasn't anything spectacular but I wanted something instead of nothing for our staff...

I applaud you on this move...
I can honestly appreciate a boss/owner who can appreciate his bottom line workers. Good work.

It makes me sick when I see people trying to muscle over their employees "below them" - I've called out such managers, as there's never a need for it.

But I'm sure your employees appreciate you on that one mate!

grampafunk
12-19-2013, 12:23 AM
Work in government. Dont get a christmas party ;). . . .

jwslam
12-19-2013, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by A790
we (the owners) each pitched in
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: