PDA

View Full Version : Pedestrian crossing...

16hypen3sp
12-19-2013, 10:54 PM
Found this letter out of the Edmonton Sun today.

CLOSE CALL

After Saturday night's freezing rain, while driving west on 82 Avenue from 83 Street, I noticed from a distance the light at 91 Street was going to turn red. However, upon applying my brakes, I became worried, not sure if I would be able to stop before reaching the light. From a distance I noticed a pedestrian was crossing in the intersection. My worry now became panic and I honked my horn to get his attention. As I slid towards him, pumping my brakes with a steady horn, not once did he even turn his head. I, fortunately, came to a stop, about two feet from him. It is then I noticed he was wearing ear buds, yet he was able to hear me when I yelled at him how he was lucky he wasn't lying on the pavement. His reply was "the light was red." That was his awareness and defence!

K. KLADA

(It's amazing how many people think they're invincible. Glad everything turned out OK.)

Tik-Tok
12-19-2013, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
pumping my brakes

:facepalm:

Kloubek
12-19-2013, 11:09 PM
^ May I ask why that's a facepalm? If one doesn't have ABS, it's at least a little more effective than potentially locking them up.

Tik-Tok
12-19-2013, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
^ May I ask why that's a facepalm? If one doesn't have ABS, it's at least a little more effective than potentially locking them up.

Chances are highly likely that they do have ABS though. Unless they're driving a 70's land yacht. Also, if your brakes aren't stopping you, and it looks like you're about to hit a pedestrian... try swerving to avoid them. Better to nick the car beside you (or curb), then kill someone.

Kloubek
12-19-2013, 11:36 PM
That's not entirely true. I have a 2003 TJ without ABS, and the wife has a 2007 Elantra without it. I think there's far more vehicles without ABS on the road than you think!

True dat about the swerving though.

beyond_ban
12-20-2013, 12:07 AM
#whatwouldscat19do

JordanAndrew
12-20-2013, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
#whatwouldscat19do

:rofl: :rofl:

swak
12-20-2013, 02:19 AM
Should have given more room to break... Slow down sooner in icey conditions rather than relying on brakes that they'll stop you....

The commenter is blaming the road conditions and the pedestrians ignorance here.... The drivers not at fault... Impossible!!!!

snowcat
12-20-2013, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
#whatwouldscat19do

Who's dat

Sugarphreak
12-20-2013, 08:33 AM

soccernut
12-20-2013, 09:11 AM
Shitty driver or not. My head is always on a swivel whenever I'm crossing the road.

GTS4tw
12-20-2013, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I like the part where she decides to yell at the pedestrian

Maybe they needed a bit of a scare to wake them up. So many people rely on their "right of way" but when you are a pedestrian you should assume snowcat is in every vehicle, just looking to run you down. You might be in the right, but youll be too dead to argue about it.

Tarrantula
12-20-2013, 09:47 AM
As far as Ive seen, I would say Snowcat doesnt try to run people down at red lights, only teach jaywalkers a lesson.

Seth1968
12-20-2013, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by GTS4tw
Maybe they needed a bit of a scare to wake them up.

This.

I was driving down a side street in a residential area about 100 ft from an intersection. A teenage girl was walking on the boulevard in the same direction on my right side. She then (get this), walks right out in the road without even looking behind her. I slammed on the brakes and laid on the horn. Ended up about 5 ft away from her, and she didn't even flinch.

I ended up confronting her, and it turns out she was wearing earbuds with the music so loud that she couldn't even hear the horn or the brake squeal. Not that it explains the idiotic behavior that even a 5 year old understands.

Anyway, I didn't freak out on her, but I was loud and blunt. She was almost in tears, and I guarantee she'll never do that again.