PDA

View Full Version : Transalta

woodywoodford
12-20-2013, 09:57 AM
I'm curious if anyone here works for them? And for anyone who knows, what is it an investment analyst would do for them? From what I can tell it seems like they just analyze projects, so basically capital investments, rather than anything markets oriented. I can't decide if that interests me though so hopefully someone here can clarify things a bit.

Gainsbarre
12-21-2013, 08:52 AM
TransAlta :rofl: -- I think I can sum them up in two words -- "don't bother"

Investment analyst will have nothing to do with capital markets, it'll just be estimating the economics of new power plant/project proposals.

Here's some require reading if you're even thinking of applying for a job at TransAlta...

http://www.ratemyemployer.ca/Employers/TR/TransAlta-Utilities-Corporation

These two comments were the highlight for me (disclaimer...I may or may not have written one of these two comments based on my experience at TransAlta
:D )

http://www.ratemyemployer.ca/Employers/TR/TransAlta-Utilities-Corporation/AB/22917#comments

bourge73
12-21-2013, 10:47 AM
Wow a worse rating than CP Rail I'm impressed lol

Cos
12-21-2013, 10:59 AM

woodywoodford
12-21-2013, 11:32 AM
^^ I kind of suspected as much, guess I'll pass on this one. Didn't really want to leave O&G anyway :dunno:

jhmed
12-21-2013, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Cos
My company was a spin off. I have never heard anyone say anything positive about it. However the IT director used to work at my company and she is pretty good.

AltaLink?

stealth
12-22-2013, 11:31 AM
I work for TransAlta, and I have nothing to add to what was previously posted...

M.alex
12-24-2013, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Gainsbarre
TransAlta :rofl: -- I think I can sum them up in two words -- "don't bother"

Investment analyst will have nothing to do with capital markets, it'll just be estimating the economics of new power plant/project proposals.

Here's some require reading if you're even thinking of applying for a job at TransAlta...

http://www.ratemyemployer.ca/Employers/TR/TransAlta-Utilities-Corporation

These two comments were the highlight for me (disclaimer...I may or may not have written one of these two comments based on my experience at TransAlta
:D )

http://www.ratemyemployer.ca/Employers/TR/TransAlta-Utilities-Corporation/AB/22917#comments

Wow, that does not sound like a good place to work at all. I bet you're glad that you got out of there for a much better environment!

flipstah
12-25-2013, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by stealth
I work for TransAlta, and I have nothing to add to what was previously posted...

If that's not enough endorsement, I don't know what is.

Cos
12-25-2013, 10:11 AM

Xtrema
12-25-2013, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Cos
Yeah no kidding. One more place to scratch off the list. Is it just me or are there no really good employers anymore? Or are they just getting harder to find.

It's just business as usual.

Don't work for TranAlta as an employee, ever. That place is dysfunctional. So at least you make a killing as a contractor.

stealth
12-26-2013, 08:42 PM
I will say that I enjoyed my job, and the experience I am getting.

It is hard though when you have asshole top management, who have a different out look on things than you, and everyone is worried about covering their ass and their budgets.

Also you never feel secure with your job. If you piss off the wrong people (old boys club), you could end up out the door the next day.

Gainsbarre
12-26-2013, 10:53 PM
I will say that I enjoyed my job, and the experience I am getting.

It is hard though when you have asshole top management, who have a different out look on things than you, and everyone is worried about covering their ass and their budgets.

Also you never feel secure with your job. If you piss off the wrong people (old boys club), you could end up out the door the next day.

Were you at TransAlta in November 2012? I heard that about a third of head office staff were laid off in the span of a few days and that upper management had no qualms laying off enough people to meet their quota...didn't matter if you were a star performer and/or had 30+ years with the company...

Was invited to TransAlta for a visit to the head office last month. Lots of long faces on the people working there during our visit...

stealth
12-27-2013, 12:09 AM
No I am at the Thermal Plants up here just outside of Edmonton.

Does not surprise me, they are in a very tight budget crunch right now.

Cos
12-27-2013, 10:42 AM

Unknown303
12-27-2013, 11:01 AM
I thought thermal guys are IBEW?

Stealth do you know a R. Watson out of Sundance?

AudiPWR
12-27-2013, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by jhmed

AltaLink?

Avoid this company at all costs.. They're owned by SNC-Lavalin, which as everyone knows is the biggest shit show around. I have never worked with such dysfunctional companies in my life. The Western Alberta Transmission Line is owned by Altalink, who hired themselves (SNC-Lavalin) to act as general contractor, and together they are the most retarded client I have ever had to work with in my life.

Unknown303
12-27-2013, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by AudiPWR

Avoid this company at all costs.. They're owned by SNC-Lavalin, which as everyone knows is the biggest shit show around. I have never worked with such dysfunctional companies in my life. The Western Alberta Transmission Line is owned by Altalink, who hired themselves (SNC-Lavalin) to act as general contractor, and together they are the most retarded client I have ever had to work with in my life.

:eek: say it isn't so!!!

Cos
12-27-2013, 11:30 AM

AudiPWR
12-27-2013, 11:49 AM
I only have experience with their engineering, project management and safety team so I cannot speak for any other sectors. Almost all of their project management team asked me if my company had positions available and that they were fed up with SNC. The lack of communication with their engineers to their field personelle is horrible. The chain of command and structure of the company seems to be constantly changing, and you can never find a contact that sticks around for longer than a few months. The safety department is a total joke, none of the people have practical experience or an understanding of what really is a hazard. My job was constantly being shut down by their safety department over non-issues, I imagine we lost over 2000 man hours screwing around with their bullshit safety program.

I could rant for days...

Xtrema
12-27-2013, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by AudiPWR
I only have experience with their engineering, project management and safety team so I cannot speak for any other sectors. Almost all of their project management team asked me if my company had positions available and that they were fed up with SNC. The lack of communication with their engineers to their field personelle is horrible. The chain of command and structure of the company seems to be constantly changing, and you can never find a contact that sticks around for longer than a few months. The safety department is a total joke, none of the people have practical experience or an understanding of what really is a hazard. My job was constantly being shut down by their safety department over non-issues, I imagine we lost over 2000 man hours screwing around with their bullshit safety program.

I could rant for days...

Shit company + Alberta job market = high turnovers.

You have seen nothing until you have to deal with off shored staff in Malaysia and Mumbai. Nobody competent will stick around more than 4 months.

stealth
12-28-2013, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Unknown303
I thought thermal guys are IBEW?

Stealth do you know a R. Watson out of Sundance?

I am in Management so not part of the union. Yes I do know R. Watson, I work with him on a daily basis.

I take it you work for AltaLink?

Marsh
12-28-2013, 03:48 PM
a guy i've known for a long time, and who is a complete joke and a moron did an investment analyst stint at Transalta...Nuff said.

Unknown303
12-28-2013, 06:19 PM

I am in Management so not part of the union. Yes I do know R. Watson, I work with him on a daily basis.

I take it you work for AltaLink?

That I do.