PDA

View Full Version : Pipeline or labour up north questions

calgarys_finest
12-22-2013, 10:43 PM
I got offered a job up in northern BC and NWT for pipeline work and will be starting off as a labourer all over again. The pay is great so I took it. Anyone that has done work up there have any suggestions for gear? I work all through winter here but I am assuming winter up there is a whole different creature.

Rat Fink
12-22-2013, 11:07 PM

brucebanner
12-22-2013, 11:12 PM
Are they supplying any gear(winter gear/PPE) for you? Definitely find out because there are lots of places that will supply winter gear.

-PPE (safety glasses/hard hat)
-Steel toe boots (I like the BAFFIN ICEBEAR CTCP COLD WEATHER BOOT for winter)
-Gloves/mitts (Personal preference here)
-Balaclava
-Neck warmer
-Long underwear & wear layers under your coveralls

All pretty typical stuff if you're used to working outside in the winter. I'm sure more stuff will come to mind.

calgarys_finest
12-23-2013, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by bruceod
Are they supplying any gear(winter gear/PPE) for you? Definitely find out because there are lots of places that will supply winter gear.

-PPE (safety glasses/hard hat)
-Steel toe boots (I like the BAFFIN ICEBEAR CTCP COLD WEATHER BOOT for winter)
-Gloves/mitts (Personal preference here)
-Balaclava
-Neck warmer
-Long underwear & wear layers under your coveralls

All pretty typical stuff if you're used to working outside in the winter. I'm sure more stuff will come to mind.

Awesome stuff I will look into them. They are giving me a 1000$ prepaid card to get gear before I go up. I have a great 5 layers for my upper body that I have never felt cold in but its my feet, hands and head that have me stressing.

Ven
12-23-2013, 10:14 AM
Air gap is everything. If you layer too tight you'll impede circulation and freeze, especially hands and feet. Not to mention you'll feel like the Michelin man and your day goes long if you can't work comfortable and loose. I'm also a fan of mitts, not gloves. Nothing is warmer than a good mitt and you'd be surprised what you can do in them. I wear them really big and put a great pair of Dakota thermolite gloves under them when I need dexterity for a while. Long neck ninja balaclava's are great, just make sure they have mouth vent holes. Otherwise your breath goes out the eye hole and you fog/freeze your sun/safety glasses. Also take spares of a lot of gear. I've run this gear down to -56 for 15 hour shifts. Total comfort and warmth.

http://www.marks.com/shop/en/marks-marksdefaultsalescatalog/thermolite-glove-32005

http://www.marks.com/shop/en/marks-marksdefaultsalescatalog/mitt--mens-wro-gauntlet-w-remov-21457?expDataType=CatalogEntryId&expDataUniqueID=122601&icid=suggestedItem_Men%27s+Winter+Accessories_326509

http://www.marks.com/shop/en/marks-marksdefaultsalescatalog/dri-release-multitasker-pro-balaclava-32046

ddduke
12-29-2013, 11:37 AM
If you're on the pipeline then remember you need FR (fire retardant) everything or they may refuse to let you work/force you to buy gear up there which is marked up like crazy.

Just get a pair of Insulated Carhartt FR bibs, matching jacket, one hoodie (FR) and one pair of long johns is all you need under that. For footwear I (and pretty much everyone there) goes with dunlops with bama booties inside, don't forget to bring a few pairs of booties for if your feet sweat then freeze.