PDA

View Full Version : Coffee shop unionizes in N.S.

Type_S1
12-24-2013, 08:05 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/#!/content/1.2474999/

What the fk....I would close my coffee shop down and re-name it before I'd let a bunch of highschool drop outs unionize while their high school drop out husbands and bfs sit on the couch collecting E.I because it isn't fishing season.

Modelexis
12-24-2013, 09:27 AM
I don't know much about the details of this specific case but I don't really see what's wrong with starting a private workers union?

As long as the employer is legally allowed to reject the protest demands and hire all new workers.

Seth1968
12-24-2013, 09:48 AM
"We're seeing a lot of young workers unable to find work in their field and find themselves working in coffee shops for a period of years."

SURPRISE! There's no such company called Liberal Arts!

As for that union BS. If I own a private business, then who the hell are these people to make it a criminal offence if I want to hire and/or fire people at my discretion? If I wanted to, it's my RIGHT to even go as far as only hiring, let's say, Asian people if I so choose. It's MY business FFS.

Yet another violation of human (business owners) rights and freedom.

heavyfuel
12-24-2013, 10:24 AM
Absolutely disgusting. My shop would get hit by Jewish lightning before I'd let that happen.

spikerS
12-24-2013, 10:54 AM
I have to ask the questions though.

Why was the union created?

Is there something terribly wrong going on, and the employees decided they needed to present a unified front, or, is this all just for shits and giggles and trying to force higher wages and less work?

Seth1968
12-24-2013, 11:09 AM
You just answered your own question Spikers.

Sugarphreak
12-24-2013, 12:49 PM

Supa Dexta
12-24-2013, 01:06 PM
The only thing in wolfville is Acadia university and a bunch hipster dorks, so yes I can see why the lazy entitled dickwads are after this.

The valley itself is getting pretty hippy, so I assume things like this will continue to pop up.

SKR
12-24-2013, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
WTF is Jewish lightning... and how does it deviate from normal lighting?

Arson.

Nitro5
12-24-2013, 04:08 PM
I wonder if the business owner can go Ronald Regan and fire the whole union if they strike? Strikes work because usually the work force is large enough that the business would be crippled if they had to replace everyone at the same time.

btimbit
12-24-2013, 05:37 PM

WTF is Jewish lightning... and how does it deviate from normal lighting?

Burning down your own business for insurance money

Sugarphreak
12-24-2013, 05:48 PM

JRSC00LUDE
12-24-2013, 06:28 PM
Never heard that reference before.... sounds kind of racist

What are you, Jewish? Fucking jeebus killer. :guns:

:D

On topic, hopefully the owner can fire them all before he goes out of business, poor bastard. :(

This happened to a guy I know in Toronto. Ran a good electrical company for a long time, with happy employees. Trade Union seeded a guy in there and after he passed probation he started sowing seeds with bullshit promises among the guys. Sprung a certification vote, it narrowly passed, and as a result he ended up having to shut down the company.

Too bad, previously fairly paid guys ended up unemployed.

CD007
12-30-2013, 09:55 PM
Good for them. They need it. :poosie:

revelations
12-31-2013, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by spikers
I have to ask the questions though.

Why was the union created?

Is there something terribly wrong going on, and the employees decided they needed to present a unified front, or, is this all just for shits and giggles and trying to force higher wages and less work?

Originally posted by Seth1968
You just answered your own question Spikers.

He had two questions. None of which were answered in this thread.