PDA

View Full Version : Drumheads - Remo vs. Evans

16hypen3sp
12-25-2013, 12:59 AM
Just wondering if there are any fellow drummers on this forum.

Wondering which drumheads are better.

Remo or Evans?... or something else.

Mista Bob
12-25-2013, 05:11 AM
Aquarian.
For coated heads I wouldn't even bother looking at anything else.
The coating on them is vastly superior to both Remo and Evans.
Not only does it last significantly longer, the way it wears it maintains the rough texture through out its life span. Which is essential when playing with brushes.
Remo's coating is alright, Evan's coating is IMO just downright bad.
Even if you never play with brushes, you will still appreciate how much more durable Aquarian's are over Remo and (especially so ) Evans.

For clear heads I've mainly used Remo, but I'm starting to migrate over to Aquarian not just for the quality but the customer service they offer.
You can probably tell by now that I'm not a fan of Evans at all.

Once had an Aquarian Jack DeJohnette coated snare head where the coating chipped off in the middle after maybe a month.
Something that has never happened before with these, even after tons of use.
Sent an email to their customer service with a pic of it, got a quick reply and a phone call from Roy Burns (co founder of the company and all around uber drummer).
And he sorted everything out for me and I had a new one to replace it in no time.

16hypen3sp
12-25-2013, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by Mista Bob
Aquarian.
For coated heads I wouldn't even bother looking at anything else.
The coating on them is vastly superior to both Remo and Evans.
Not only does it last significantly longer, the way it wears it maintains the rough texture through out its life span. Which is essential when playing with brushes.
Remo's coating is alright, Evan's coating is IMO just downright bad.
Even if you never play with brushes, you will still appreciate how much more durable Aquarian's are over Remo and (especially so ) Evans.

For clear heads I've mainly used Remo, but I'm starting to migrate over to Aquarian not just for the quality but the customer service they offer.
You can probably tell by now that I'm not a fan of Evans at all.

Once had an Aquarian Jack DeJohnette coated snare head where the coating chipped off in the middle after maybe a month.
Something that has never happened before with these, even after tons of use.
Sent an email to their customer service with a pic of it, got a quick reply and a phone call from Roy Burns (co founder of the company and all around uber drummer).
And he sorted everything out for me and I had a new one to replace it in no time.

I have heard good things about Aquarian but my local shop doesn't really have a good selection of heads. Mostly all Evans with a few Remo's... may have to make a trip to Calgary someday soon to get decent ones.

My Mapex came with Remo but I recently swapped everything over to Evans. I would say they are ok but the snare head is junk. Not impressed.

Can you recommend a place in Calgary with a good selection?

Mista Bob
12-25-2013, 07:47 AM
I believe Long and McQuade carries all three brands. That is where I've bought my Aquarian heads in the past anyways.
Axe music may also too, but not quite 100% sure on if they have Aquarian.

Think St. Johns music only had Remo and Evans.
But L & M and Axe Music are your best bet for selection either way.

xnvy
12-25-2013, 07:49 PM
I have a coated Evans head on my snare. Coating wore out pretty quickly. I'm too cheap to replace it though.

Darkane
12-25-2013, 09:04 PM
Aquarians for sure.

OCDP
12-26-2013, 04:17 PM
It all depends on the type of music you're playing for type of heads. In terms of brand it all comes down to personal preference. I personally stay away from Evans, I've tried many different types and none of them gave me the sound I was after, they felt cheap to me.

I generally recommend Remo controlled sound battered heads. Seems you can play any style and they put out great sound. All of this is dependent on the type of drums you're using too, and how well you can tune them. But overall, you cannot go wrong with the controlled sounds.

TurboMedic
12-26-2013, 11:39 PM
Evans g2 clear tops and g1 bottoms. G2 bottoms if you want a little less reso..... I've had decent luck with emad's too, but definitely not as open sounding.... Remo controlled sound reverse dot snare