PDA

View Full Version : laptop repair

z24_wheels
12-27-2013, 06:00 PM
My ac adapter, or the port are on the fritz and my laptop isn't getting any power. Does anyone have a contact that can diagnose and repair? Trying to avoid a random kijiji person, they might just dick me around. Is this even worth repairing? It's an ASUS G71GX

Ven
12-27-2013, 06:16 PM
I used MemEx before for a broken power connector pin. Was like $100. Test your adapter first though.

firebane
12-27-2013, 06:54 PM
If the power connector is replaceable by means of a connector or plug then yes its a viable solution.

If the power connector is soldered to the mainboard (which I think it is) then no its not and you will never have a good connection again.

Zero102
12-28-2013, 12:14 AM
Is the adapter loose in the socket?

Do you have a multimeter to check if the adapter has packed it in?

The parts are ~$5 if it's the jack on the motherboard and ~$30-40 if it's the adapter but the jack can take 2 hours to replace depending on the system which drives the cost up to have it done.

z24_wheels
12-28-2013, 10:08 AM
Used multimeter on adapter, its fine. Has to be jack on mobo. Taking to memex today. Thanks guys.

firebane
12-28-2013, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by z24_wheels
Used multimeter on adapter, its fine. Has to be jack on mobo. Taking to memex today. Thanks guys.

I spoke to my buddy and he said the connector is soldered onto the board.

The issue with this is that you can repair it but it will never be as strong as the solder job from the factory.

You can spend the money on getting it repaired but unless its done properly you'll just run into the same issue again.