PDA

View Full Version : Oil in the Cold

Supa Dexta
12-31-2013, 02:21 PM
Quick video a guy made up on another board I'm on

D6hPKtLCii4

eglove
12-31-2013, 02:26 PM
Cool, interesting to see it like that. My gf now understands why the car needs to be plugged in now when it starts to get to negative temps now.

AE92_TreunoSC
12-31-2013, 02:35 PM
Cool beans, hopefully guys who think synthetic lets higher "weight" oil flow better in winter see this. The winter rating is far more important in winter than the composition for cold weather.

He keeps saying "weight" but I think its forgivable, everyone does it haha.

I usually run 5W's in calgary, but if I have a choice I run 0W.

dirtsniffer
12-31-2013, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by eglove
Cool, interesting to see it like that. My gf now understands why the car needs to be plugged in now when it starts to get to negative temps now.

You have an oil pan heater in the st?

boarderfatty
12-31-2013, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by eglove

Unless it is an oil pan heater, it doesn't keep your oil warm. Block heaters usually are installed in a frost plug and keep the coolant warm. It gives you heat quicker inside the vehicle, but doesnt do much for your oil.

Tik-Tok
12-31-2013, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC

I usually run 5W's in calgary, but if I have a choice I run 0W.

Yeah, my Audi took 0w30, had no block heater, and started/ran perfectly fine, even when ambient temps were below -30.

revelations
12-31-2013, 03:38 PM
While the video shows the basics well, some 5w synthetics flow better at -40 than 0w regular oils :dunno:

If the test was done with 15w/5w/0w dino oil from the same brand and type then the test would be a little more realistic. Hes comparing apples to oranges IMO.

a social dsease
12-31-2013, 03:46 PM
Cool vid, thanks for posting.

HiTempguy1
12-31-2013, 03:51 PM
I recently added a bottle of 5w30 "motomaster" synthetic to my old truck when it had been sitting outside all night at -25*C. Stuff came out like molasses. Realistically, you should be running 0 weight high quality synthetic if you aren't plugging your car in!

eglove
12-31-2013, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer

You have an oil pan heater in the st?

No I have a block heater, hers is one of those magnetic type ones

Maxt
12-31-2013, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by boarderfatty

Unless it is an oil pan heater, it doesn't keep your oil warm. Block heaters usually are installed in a frost plug and keep the coolant warm. It gives you heat quicker inside the vehicle, but doesnt do much for your oil.
My bobcat has the standard in the block heater and I kinda wondered how warm it got the engine being it has 15w40 in it. The other day after it had been plugged in all night, I swung the engine cover open and checked it, the entire engine, oil pan and all was warm to the touch at -20C.

heavyD
01-02-2014, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by revelations
While the video shows the basics well, some 5w synthetics flow better at -40 than 0w regular oils :dunno:

If the test was done with 15w/5w/0w dino oil from the same brand and type then the test would be a little more realistic. Hes comparing apples to oranges IMO.

I don't believe there is such thing as a 0W dino oil. It's a grade that just isn't possible without being done with synthetic.