PDA

View Full Version : Working in America

nj2Type-S
01-03-2014, 10:02 AM
hey guys,

my wife and i are always talking about moving to a place with warmer climate, but are afraid of the potential salary cuts that we may experience by moving out of calgary (we are both in the O&G industry).

we have just recently come back from a vacation in southern california (santa monica area) and we are now more serious about moving. the company that we work for is looking for positions that we are qualified for (i think lol). we know our salary will decrease, but we don't have kids yet so it would be nice to enjoy a more active lifestyle while we can.

obviously, we will be talking to our managers about a possible relocation, but i would like some feedback from beyond about moving out of canada and living in the states; i know a few people on here have done that.

thanks!

p.s. i thought i've seen a thread about this, but i can't find it for some reason. sorry!

pheoxs
01-03-2014, 12:15 PM
First thing would be Visas, are you even eligible to work in the US and for how long? For example TN work Visa is 3 years max but renewable, but you have to be in a certain profession for that one.

Secondly I'd look into cost of living. Mostly it should be cheaper in the states though California does have higher taxes. Real Estate will vary depending on what area you look at but I'd compare your housing expenses here to there to see what the difference is. It may even be that you can get a cheaper place down there and that offsets part of the lost wage.

Remember Health Insurance, not sure how it works for Canadians living permanently in the states but US is expensive as fuck for anything medical related.

Other than that I can't help much. I've worked in the states a bunch but never moved there, though I'm interested to follow this thread because California definitely is appealing as a place to relocate to down the road if the opportunity ever arised.

Also their economy is kind of shitty so make sure you have stable jobs down there, if you can get a transfer through your existing employers thats awesome.

snoop101
01-03-2014, 01:07 PM
Im kinda in the same boat. Been looking at Hawaii now for a few years.

My biggest worry is health care. The biggest question I have is how much does private health care cost? Is it based on state? Will private health care cover everything?

I think here in Canada we take health care for granted.

sexualbanana
01-03-2014, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by pheoxs
First thing would be Visas, are you even eligible to work in the US and for how long? For example TN work Visa is 3 years max but renewable, but you have to be in a certain profession for that one.

I wasn't aware there was a cap. A friend of mine is in California on a TN visa. She basically just has to go to the border every year to renew. The problem is that they (DHS) can decide not to renew for no reason, and if that happens you're hooped in terms of getting your stuff back (from a convenience and working standpoint, not financial or legal).

I've heard some horror stories of people having to liquidate all their stuff because they couldn't renew their TN and basically having to start all over again in Canada.

snoop101
01-03-2014, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

I wasn't aware there was a cap. A friend of mine is in California on a TN visa. She basically just has to go to the border every year to renew. The problem is that they (DHS) can decide not to renew for no reason, and if that happens you're hooped in terms of getting your stuff back (from a convenience and working standpoint, not financial or legal).

I've heard some horror stories of people having to liquidate all their stuff because they couldn't renew their TN and basically having to start all over again in Canada.

What about if you own your own business?

pheoxs
01-03-2014, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

That's exactly what I mean. You can renew it as much as you want but you can only have a maximum of a 3 year TN before you have to go renew it again. You could renew it every 3 years for 25 years if you wanted and DHS was okay with it.

But you are correct, they could in theory decide to cancel it if say you had job issues or got hurt and couldn't work or something yeah.

That being said my TN was a joke to get. Took 10 minutes at the airport with a 4 page letter from my boss about our company, what I do, what I'm doing in the states, my education etc. Then I showed him my degree, got my stamp and had to sit at my gate for 4 hours because I thought it'd take a long time. Mine's valid until near the end of 2016

Originally posted by snoop101

You'd be applying for a different type of Visa all together. Unfortunately I don't know anything about those.

bjstare
01-03-2014, 04:02 PM
Im kinda in the same boat. Been looking at Hawaii now for a few years.

My biggest worry is health care. The biggest question I have is how much does private health care cost? Is it based on state? Will private health care cover everything?

I think here in Canada we take health care for granted.

Curious what kind of business you're into that would be transferrable to Hawaii?

My parents live there for 5 months a year, so I spend a bit of time there (here right now actually), and it doesn't seem too friendly to expats that want to work (my dad can manage his companies remotely so its not an issue for them).

busdepot
01-03-2014, 04:43 PM

Money talks ;)

You'll need to show beyond a reasonable doubt that you moving there will put Americans to work. Otherwise, fat chance.

snoop101
01-03-2014, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by busdepot

Money talks ;)

You'll need to show beyond a reasonable doubt that you moving there will put Americans to work. Otherwise, fat chance.

Been looking at coffee plantations there for a while and my parents are retired so they would invest as well.

More of a dream, but been doing my homework in the plantation side, but not much yet on the actual VISA side of things.

Thomas Gabriel
01-03-2014, 08:31 PM
You're both in O&G...wouldn't Houston be the obvious choice?

nj2Type-S
01-03-2014, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Thomas Gabriel

yeah, i looked into houston before any other city. houses there are definitely cheaper, but i'm not sure that it's the right place for us from what i've been reading and hearing from co-workers. i know i should probably go there and see for myself, but we've got our eyes set on LA and its surrounding areas.

snoop101
01-03-2014, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Thomas Gabriel

I been there for work. I love the BBQ, but holy crap its not safe at all. Its not like here where we make fun of the NE, down there you have areas that even the police tell you to leave for your own safety.

spikerS
01-03-2014, 09:53 PM
About once a year I think about it, and as quick as it pops into my head, the very next thought shuts it up.

Health care.

Health care down there is pretty much 100% private. You are guaranteed help if you really need it, but every penny is charged to you. Health care down there is big business. Hospitals are designed to be profitable. It scares the hell out of me.

I read stories on CNN or whatever, people end up in a serious accident, or fight cancer, or whatever. Bills pile up, and they can come seize your home, car, whatever they feel like to settle the debt.

And then, the health care system there is like dentists here. Health care insurance has a book value on what something costs, and will pay that cost. However, hospitals and such can charge whatever they want. So if the hospital bill is $100,000, and your insurance says it should only cost $60,000, you are on the hook for the additional $40,000. And the biggest kick in the teeth for all this, you won't find out until everything is said and done.

Yeah, the thought only ever lasts for a few seconds, and then I remember how happy I am in Canada, winters and all.

HiTempguy1
01-03-2014, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by spikers

Yeah, the thought only ever lasts for a few seconds, and then I remember how happy I am in Canada, winters and all.

And really, if it comes down to weather being the deciding factor, move to BC. If you really want, you can typically earn a decent (enough) living if you are a smart individual. Don't like the cold (or the -40*C anyways)? There are other well off areas of the country with "better" climates.

theken
01-03-2014, 10:47 PM
topic of wage loss, almost everything is cheaper, so you lose 20k in salary, pay less tax, and save 10k a year in groceries and misc. I'm sure the company you work at will also have health care options. Do what you want to, I wanted to forever but life has caught up and I don't have this option anymore, still a dream though

zooter
01-09-2014, 10:38 PM
Why a TN visa? This wont allow you to get a green card if you want to settle permanently plus I would be hesitant to purchase a home on a temporary visa.. Ask you employer to sponsor you on a work visa that will allow you to immigrate ... Those are more difficult to obtain as you have to be at a certain level and skill set with your organization but I've seen companies do this for their employees

Wrinkly
01-10-2014, 01:32 AM
About once a year I think about it, and as quick as it pops into my head, the very next thought shuts it up.

Health care.

This! Husband recently suffered a TIA (very minor stroke) whilst stateside on business. Overnight stay in hospital and tests = $18,000 :eek:

M.alex
01-10-2014, 02:53 AM

Health care.

Health care down there is pretty much 100% private. You are guaranteed help if you really need it, but every penny is charged to you. Health care down there is big business. Hospitals are designed to be profitable. It scares the hell out of me.

I read stories on CNN or whatever, people end up in a serious accident, or fight cancer, or whatever. Bills pile up, and they can come seize your home, car, whatever they feel like to settle the debt.

And then, the health care system there is like dentists here. Health care insurance has a book value on what something costs, and will pay that cost. However, hospitals and such can charge whatever they want. So if the hospital bill is $100,000, and your insurance says it should only cost $60,000, you are on the hook for the additional $40,000. And the biggest kick in the teeth for all this, you won't find out until everything is said and done.

So their system isn't designed for poor people. Don't be poor, problem solved. I would gladly take the American system over our broken POS where when you need specialized help you have to wait months or even years for it

ZedMan
01-13-2014, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
hey guys,

my wife and i are always talking about moving to a place with warmer climate, but are afraid of the potential salary cuts that we may experience by moving out of calgary (we are both in the O&G industry).

we have just recently come back from a vacation in southern california (santa monica area) and we are now more serious about moving. the company that we work for is looking for positions that we are qualified for (i think lol). we know our salary will decrease, but we don't have kids yet so it would be nice to enjoy a more active lifestyle while we can.

obviously, we will be talking to our managers about a possible relocation, but i would like some feedback from beyond about moving out of canada and living in the states; i know a few people on here have done that.

thanks!

p.s. i thought i've seen a thread about this, but i can't find it for some reason. sorry!

I did pretty close to what you are looking at.

A few differences:
- I was single
- Not in O&G

My employer relocated me, so they took care of applying for the visa (TN-1), etc. That's definitely the easiest way.

The H1-B visa (what you want if you're looking for a green card) is capped and there's huge demand, so there's a lottery system.

Chances are whether you end up relocating with your current employer or change jobs, they'll both want to do the TN if they can since it's cheap and convenient. Only certain occupations are allowed under the TN, though.

Right off the bat, I'd say that if you're looking at a significant pay cut, LA is probably not the best place to go. You are not going to save on cost of living. Many things are cheaper but housing is NOT one of them. I ended up with a significant RAISE and was just about able to maintain my Calgary lifestyle. You're DINKs though so it may not be so bad.

Also, remember that visiting LA is definitely not the same thing as living in LA. Things that you don't like you can rationalize away on a 10-day trip are harder to deal with when you're living there.

For instance, some of the things that bug me sometimes:
- MF'n traffic.
- Sometimes I just get fed up with the sheer quantity of people.
- The state gov't will take every last nickel and dime they can from you.
- The MF'n DMV. It only took one visit to instantly comprehend every "DMV is so miserable" bit I've ever heard.

Driver's license varies from state to state, in California an AB license isn't valid. So you'll have to take the (stupidly easy) driving test. And pay the frankly ridiculous registration fees (in CA it's based on the value of your car. Mine cost well over $200 for the year).

Make sure to consider the tax implications of wherever you move. For example, there is a tax treaty between the US Federal Goverment and the Canadian so that you don't have to pay tax on RRSP income. However, there is no such agreement between the California State government, so you have to pay state tax on RRSP income.

Health care isn't too big of a deal, since you'll get at least decent health care through your employer. Make sure to read over it really well, though.

Even with insurance you definitely feel more "exposed" than Canada, where you can get away with just not worrying about it.

Hope that helps.