PDA

View Full Version : Driving At Night With No Lights On

sexualbanana
01-03-2014, 02:15 PM
It's been a pet peeve of mine for a long time and I finally decided to get around to posting this question:

If you get into an MVA at night with another vehicle who's lights weren't on, can that free you of any potential at-fault (similar to getting into an MVA with an impaired driver)?

Just curious.

Masked Bandit
01-03-2014, 02:18 PM
How would you prove that their lights weren't? If you could, it MIGHT get you some wiggle room but I wouldn't be banking on it.

Are you planning on trying something?:D

colinxx235
01-03-2014, 02:20 PM
Are you implying that if you run a red light and hit an impaired driver you aren't at fault?

If so, I have never heard of that rule clearly...

lilmira
Pretty hard to support the claim after the fact.

You didn't have your lights on. Yes I did. No you didn't.......

ercchry
i've noticed that lately this has been an epidemic! i pass a solid 4-8 cars daily that are driving in pitch black with no lights :nut:

sexualbanana
01-03-2014, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
How would you prove that their lights weren't? If you could, it MIGHT get you some wiggle room but I wouldn't be banking on it.

I figured proof was going to be the big issue.

There have just been times where I couldn't believe people didn't know/realize that they're driving with their lights off, and how difficult it is to even see them at times when they don't even have DRLs.

On NYE I was driving down Deerfoot during the storm. Visibility was already kind of tough when I realized that there was a car about 40 feet ahead of me with no lights on at all.

Or about a month ago when I was driving down Mcleod and "saw" a car with no lights in my rearview mirror. I quote "saw" because all I could really see was the shadow it cast when it went in front of another vehicle that had its lights on.

98type_r
01-03-2014, 02:25 PM
I think a huge contributor to this is the LED, or always backlit in-dash displays. It used to be if you didn't turn your lights on you couldn't see how fast you were going, etc. Nowadays people don't have a clue that their lights aren't on because they can see their instrumentation regardless.

firebane
01-03-2014, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by 98type_r
I think a huge contributor to this is the LED, or always backlit in-dash displays. It used to be if you didn't turn your lights on you couldn't see how fast you were going, etc. Nowadays people don't have a clue that their lights aren't on because they can see their instrumentation regardless.

Instrument clusters have used lights for a VERY long time. This is simply the fact that people see their DRLs on and assume they have enough light output to the road.

The bigger issue is that they simply don't have ANY marker lights at all and driving in the dark or poor conditions practically makes them difficult to see at any point.

Hell I even flash people and they still don't do it. Guess I need brighter lights.

snowcat
01-03-2014, 02:31 PM
I told this lady her lights were not on and her response? "They should be automatic it's 2013".

I just couldn't believe it. She had no fucking clue

codetrap
01-03-2014, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by firebane
Instrument clusters have used lights for a VERY long time. This is simply the fact that people see their DRLs on and assume they have enough light output to the road.

The bigger issue is that they simply don't have ANY marker lights at all and driving in the dark or poor conditions practically makes them difficult to see at any point.

Hell I even flash people and they still don't do it. Guess I need brighter lights. I was thinking a sign... something I could hold up that said

"Turn your lights on idiot!"

ercchry
01-03-2014, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by snowcat
I told this lady her lights were not on and her response? "They should be automatic it's 2013".

i once told this guy his lights werent on, and his response was "bro its cool, i was only driving a short distance and its too hard on my HIDs"

sexualbanana
01-03-2014, 02:36 PM

I was out with some friends a couple years ago and my buddy decided to drink so I drove his truck home.

I get in, and turn on his lights, he says "No, those are the high beams"

Me: No they're not.

Him: Yeah. The other ones are your normal lights. See? They turn on the instrument lights

Me: Yes. You're instrument lights are on. But those are your daytime lights. Watch. Daytime lights. <click> Night lights. <click> High beams. You've had this truck for how long?

avishal26
01-03-2014, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
Pretty hard to support the claim after the fact.

You didn't have your lights on. Yes I did. No you didn't.......

Yup - pretty hard to dispute unless you have a witness or a camera.

This is probably one of the biggest pet peeve of mine on the road.. this and no mudflaps on lifted trucks!

Edit: Remembered another one... HID lights in regular bulb housing - hate them! So these are my top 3 peeves

S-FLY
01-03-2014, 02:40 PM
Also a pet peeve of mine. It seems to be common place in Calgary for people not knowing how the lights work. I know a girl who got yelled at because she had her high-beams on (also another pet peeve), and had no idea how to use her lights. When I got in her car, the DRL's were on, so she thought the low beams were on, but was scared to touch anything since the time she got yelled at for having her high-beams on.

Like... how the hell do people like this get a drivers licence?!

avishal26
01-03-2014, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
I was thinking a sign... something I could hold up that said

&quot;Turn your lights on idiot!&quot;

:rofl: I have long contemplated having one of those LCDs/Matrix displays (that are used for traffic warning on deerfoot now) in the back window of the car that I could write messages on... :D Not sure how legal that would be... especially since I'm pretty sure most of the time I won't be able to keep profanity out of it...

Mista Bob
01-03-2014, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by S-FLY

Like... how the hell do people like this get a drivers licence?!

I thought they gave them away as special prizes in cereal boxes?

D'z Nutz
01-03-2014, 02:45 PM
None of these responses really answer the original question. Let's just say for the sake of argument, that it can be proven someone was driving without their lights on (eg: dash cam, witnesses, whatever). Now back to the original question: if you get into an accident where the other person's visibility is questionable (and you can prove it), who is at fault?

G-ZUS
01-03-2014, 02:46 PM
I told this lady her lights were not on and her response? &quot;They should be automatic it's 2013&quot;.

Originally posted by ercchry

i once told this guy his lights werent on, and his response was &quot;bro its cool, i was only driving a short distance and its too hard on my HIDs&quot;

:rofl: :rofl:

heavyD
01-03-2014, 03:34 PM

i once told this guy his lights werent on, and his response was &quot;bro its cool, i was only driving a short distance and its too hard on my HIDs&quot;

Are you serious?

ercchry
01-03-2014, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Are you serious?

how do you not remember that thread?! :rofl: scat classic

01RedDX
01-03-2014, 03:41 PM

ercchry
01-03-2014, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

I know that guy too, he also had a goddam tinted windshield and said that angel eyes were enough to see. :nut:

ha! found it

Originally posted by scat19
Hello everyone!

xenons should not be turned on and off more than 4 times per hour, so a little drive from the gas station to home (2 mins), thought it was allright.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/165968/hey-dumbass-how-about-you-turn-on-your-headlights-at-night-not-just-your-ddes-/

G-ZUS
01-03-2014, 03:47 PM

Are you serious?

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/169867/to-the-stupid-fer-who-thinks-hes-quotnightriderquot/

Isaiah
01-03-2014, 03:53 PM
I told this lady her lights were not on and her response? &quot;They should be automatic it's 2013&quot;.
Maybe they were just tinted. Oh wait.

revelations
01-03-2014, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
None of these responses really answer the original question. Let's just say for the sake of argument, that it can be proven someone was driving without their lights on (eg: dash cam, witnesses, whatever). Now back to the original question: if you get into an accident where the other person's visibility is questionable (and you can prove it), who is at fault?

In BC, I knew of someone who got into an accident after they pulled onto a main road from a side street (stopped at stop sign) and ended up being hit by a vehicle on the main road.

The vehicle that pulled out claimed they never saw the vehicle on the main road. There was a hill crest right before the side road connects to the main road.

The main road vehicle was traveling well in excess of the speed limit - the vehicle that was hit was found not at fault as a result because they couldnt see the approaching vehicle flying up the crest.

This is ICBC, so take it for what its worth.

spikerS
01-03-2014, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

I don't know the proper answer to this, but I am going to take a common sense approach to it.

You can get a ticket for having burnt out tail lights / signal lights. The likely hood of getting this ticket is pretty small, as the officer will usually just give you a fix it order.

So, if in adverse driving conditions, you end up rear ending someone with burnt out or non working tail lights, if it can be proven, I would assume that you could be found not at fault.

One thing to ponder on though, is that tail lights do have light reflectors in them, so if your headlights are on, you should still be able to see the tail markers illuminate, or if conditions are bad, you might be driving too fast for conditions.

I am just talking out loud here, I am probably way off base.

TheStigz
01-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Where can I get some HID tail lights? :nut:

If I cant see the guys lights on behind me.. atleast he can see me? :dunno:

lilmira
01-03-2014, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by TheStigz
Where can I get some HID tail lights? :nut:

If I cant see the guys lights on behind me.. atleast he can see me? :dunno:

Loud exhaust improves safety. ;)

sexualbanana
01-03-2014, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by lilmira

Loud exhaust improves safety. ;)

I remember someone tried making a similar argument in the early days of Beyond (or it might have been ABCars).

- Modified suspension to better avoid objects and pedestrians
- Underglow to be more visible
- Loud exhaust for the visually impaired

:rofl:

TomcoPDR
01-03-2014, 05:40 PM

For filament bulbs, some cases the filament end up looking and react differently when impacted when it's hot (lights on) compare to cold (lights off)... But led and hid are probably different.

Guess proof would rely on dash cams, witnesses. Etc.

baygirl
01-03-2014, 06:17 PM
My ex witnessed an accident where a car turning into a parking lot hit a motorcycle who was SB on Elbow Dive. Driver of the car claimed he didn't see the bike because the bike didn't have his lights on (this was ~5:30am). I don't know what happened with his insurance, but do know all he was ticketed for was making an unsafe turn. Idiot killed someone and was going to fight the ticket...my ex's statement that he saw the bike coming and had to wait for him to pass before turning SB himself helped fuck that defense.

Cos
01-03-2014, 06:21 PM

ipeefreely
01-03-2014, 06:26 PM
Both my cars ('93, '03) have automatic lights... they should just make them mandatory like traction control is now...

People are obviously to stupid now days to work a switch that turns on your lights... :facepalm:

I see it all the time.... :facepalm: :facepalm:

ercchry
01-03-2014, 06:27 PM
uh, so the light that come up on the dash that tells you your headlights are on isnt obvious enough Cos? :rofl: is it the green? would it be easier if it was red?

spikerS
01-03-2014, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Going to disagree with you here. Our new Focus, the lights dont make any sense. We have it on Auto but Ford always turns them off when they do an oil change. My wife forgets and I eventually notice but it can be MONTHS before we do. The interior lights turn on/off as if the lights were on. Absolute BS as they look the same. Our DRL's are actually 99% output of the normal front headlights too.

Yeah, I know all about that. The truck is the same way. When we bought it, the salesman just told us to put it on auto, and never touch it again.

I did once, and Baygirl freaked out, not knowing why the tail lights didn't work suddenly, and I didn't figure it out for a bit either until I clued in.

Honestly, I can't fault people for this, as more often than not, they just don't know. Seriously, manufacturers should remove the headlight switch all together, and just have headlights and tail lights come on at engine start up, or not light up the dash until headlights are on, or make it all dependant on the light sensor on the dash.

Cos
01-03-2014, 06:49 PM

codetrap
01-03-2014, 06:49 PM
^ or just skip the issue entirely, and have them on all the time when the car is running.

ercchry
01-03-2014, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Actually that symbol is on if it is dark but not necessarily if the rears are on. There seems to be 3 settings. 1.) DRL daytime. Low power nithing going on. 2.) Lights off night time, the interior lights and front lights seem the same. Rears are off. 3.) Lights on nighttime, what you would expect.

im pretty sure the green headlight icon is a universal thing... but who knows.. my ford has a light sensor... but no auto headlights :rofl:

the lexus has auto, and i know they are on when the green light is on. same icon with it in auto or if i manually do it. but i get a bonus light since i have the wrong bulb in my tail lights so my resistance is off and i get a giant red triangle with a "!" and a message that says my tail lights have failed :rofl:

lilmira
01-03-2014, 07:06 PM
How about that tick tick tick sound and the flashing thingamajig? It's been like that for like 10 minutes? It's like so annoying, I'm gonna like take a selfie and post it totally.

heavyD
01-03-2014, 07:20 PM

ha! found it

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/165968/hey-dumbass-how-about-you-turn-on-your-headlights-at-night-not-just-your-ddes-/

Wow. What a fucking idiot.

Back on topic I have noticed this as well over the past month and I usually flash them to get their attention. Personally I like to believe that it's just drivers that turned on the parking lights while warming up their car and forgetting to turn the headlights on when they leave because the dash lights are on.

I would really like to believe people like scat19 are a very small portion of the population. If not I am very concerned for the future of civilization.

baygirl
01-03-2014, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by spikers

I did once, and Baygirl freaked out, not knowing why the tail lights didn't work suddenly, and I didn't figure it out for a bit either until I clued in.

My issue was that I discovered it at 2 in the morning when I was going to lunch(wasn't dark when I drove to work). I start the truck and the dash stays dark. Say fuck it, spikers can deal with it in morning, and start driving. On Macleod notice a cop car beside me, motions me to roll down my window. Tells me my lights aren't on, I say I just noticed an issue with the dash lights and he tells me to get it looked at as soon as I can and carries on lol.

firebane
01-03-2014, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by baygirl

My issue was that I discovered it at 2 in the morning when I was going to lunch(wasn't dark when I drove to work). I start the truck and the dash stays dark. Say fuck it, spikers can deal with it in morning, and start driving. On Macleod notice a cop car beside me, motions me to roll down my window. Tells me my lights aren't on, I say I just noticed an issue with the dash lights and he tells me to get it looked at as soon as I can and carries on lol.

See this is what is wrong with people these days.

Part of owning a vehicle is maintaining it. If you noticed that for some reason the dash lights weren't working would you not think to check and see if perhaps the headlight switch was turned on or even off?

Mibz
01-03-2014, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Cos
We have it on Auto but Ford always turns them off when they do an oil change. Dealership did the same thing to me. Luckily I caught it that day, but I probably wouldn't have noticed until I was driving at night.

uh, so the light that come up on the dash that tells you your headlights are on isnt obvious enough Cos? :rofl: is it the green? would it be easier if it was red? I don't remember all my previous vehicles, but I can tell you that this one doesn't have an indicator when the headlights are on Auto.

baygirl
01-03-2014, 08:17 PM

See this is what is wrong with people these days.

Part of owning a vehicle is maintaining it. If you noticed that for some reason the dash lights weren't working would you not think to check and see if perhaps the headlight switch was turned on or even off?
The very first night I took the truck I asked spikers about the lights and he said they automatic, and to NEVER touch that dial. I honestly thought it was just the dash(first thing I did was try the dimmer), as the daylight running lights were on.

firebane
01-03-2014, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Dealership did the same thing to me. Luckily I caught it that day, but I probably wouldn't have noticed until I was driving at night.
I don't remember all my previous vehicles, but I can tell you that this one doesn't have an indicator when the headlights are on Auto.

Most vehicles have a "green" light indicator on the dash that implies DRLs are on.

If you have a headlight switch with an auto mode then you can tell if things are working properly as when it switches the lights on your dash lights are on as well.

Generall if your headlights aren't on neither are your dash lights.

Mibz
01-03-2014, 08:57 PM
If you have a headlight switch with an auto mode then you can tell if things are working properly as when it switches the lights on your dash lights are on as well.

Generall if your headlights aren't on neither are your dash lights. Generally, yes. I guess that's my question. Is it a case of EITHER you have a green headlight icon on your dash OR your dash lights up? Or are there some cars with neither?

Alak
01-03-2014, 09:48 PM
A little on/off topic

In the new ford super duties, on a truck with automatic headlamps, if your lights are off the gauge cluster needles are lit so you can see what its indicating as its difficult to read the gauges during the day because of the colours, and the needles are naturally clear.

When you manually turn on the headlamps during the day, the lights on the needles turn off, and all other gauge lights turn off thus rendering it nearly impossible to read the invisible (clear) gauge needles.

On trucks without automatic lights everything works as it should.

I guess it doesnt make alot of sense unless you've driven the trucks, but its frustrating during the day when driving on roads that require your lights on and you can't read the needles. Another well thought out innovation by ford.

/end rant.

spikerS
01-03-2014, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Generally, yes. I guess that's my question. Is it a case of EITHER you have a green headlight icon on your dash OR your dash lights up? Or are there some cars with neither?

I am pretty sure there is no indicator on the truck in any of the headlight switch positions that would indicate if the headlights are on or not.

Supa Dexta
01-03-2014, 10:00 PM
Yeah I dont think my chev has anything either.

Alak
01-03-2014, 10:01 PM
/on topic

Super Duties don't have an indication either.

Tik-Tok
01-03-2014, 10:10 PM
^ or just skip the issue entirely, and have them on all the time when the car is running.

:werd: Last thing I do before I put a car in gear is turn the headlights on. Not sure when I started doing it, or even why, but it's complete habit. Even in our work truck that has auto-headlights.

revelations
01-03-2014, 10:39 PM
Coming from the Nordic countries, where mandatory daytime headlights-on has been the law since 1977, I have always turned my lights on manually in all my vehicles (bikes dont get an option though).

TheHumbleGeek
01-04-2014, 01:20 AM
Ya know, this is actually one of the few complaints i have about my focus.... my "headlight" dash indicator is ALWAYS on, whether the headlight switch is off, parking, on or auto... my taillights are on whenever the ignition is hot, so im never sure when im running on drl's and when im running full headlights...

Can we add to this complaint, drivers who drive with their high-beams on?

AE92_TreunoSC
01-04-2014, 01:58 AM
The reason tech's turn off lights from auto is because we're checking the lights, and auto won't trigger in a bright shop. We don't realize its coming from auto, we're just turning them on to full then back off.

I work on Toyotas and tons of them come in with highbeams engaged lol. Blue light = on I guess lol.

I had an old 4runner with a loose headlight stalk and it would flip into high beam mode on any rough road haha, I used to kick myself when I blinded other drivers.

Cos
01-04-2014, 12:08 PM

firebane
01-04-2014, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by TheHumbleGeek
Ya know, this is actually one of the few complaints i have about my focus.... my &quot;headlight&quot; dash indicator is ALWAYS on, whether the headlight switch is off, parking, on or auto... my taillights are on whenever the ignition is hot, so im never sure when im running on drl's and when im running full headlights...

Can we add to this complaint, drivers who drive with their high-beams on?

How about people who feel the need to run their fog/driving lights on when its a perfectly clear and visible night out?

Some of those lights especially on lifted trucks with their fake HID kits are more blinding than people just driving with high beams.

Aleks
01-04-2014, 03:37 PM
I mostly used to see Hondas, Acuras, Toyotas running around without lights. lately I've seen lots of Fords too. Yes the problem is dashes always being lit up.

However in all the Hondas/Toyotas/Subarus I've driven only the insturments and radio lit up. The climate control didn't so that's should be a big clue.

TheHumbleGeek
01-04-2014, 08:08 PM

How about people who feel the need to run their fog/driving lights on when its a perfectly clear and visible night out?

Some of those lights especially on lifted trucks with their fake HID kits are more blinding than people just driving with high beams.

AGREED!!! Mind, i tend to point the finger moreso at the idiots in marketing who call FOG lights "driving" lights.... THEY ARE DIFFERENT! :banghead:

And don't get me started on FAKEHIDS... I live in the NE, and if its not high-beams its FAKEHIDS.... *sigh* Its illegal for me to rig up a rigid lightbar to a photocell to have it come on automatically anytime someone has those lights shining into my eyes, RIGHT??????????? :devil:

Hallowed_point
01-04-2014, 09:34 PM

x1000...the driver of a lifted truck can already see better than 99% of everyone else on the road. This annoys the shit out of me as well.

clem24
01-07-2014, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Alak
A little on/off topic

In the new ford super duties, on a truck with automatic headlamps, if your lights are off the gauge cluster needles are lit so you can see what its indicating as its difficult to read the gauges during the day because of the colours, and the needles are naturally clear.

When you manually turn on the headlamps during the day, the lights on the needles turn off, and all other gauge lights turn off thus rendering it nearly impossible to read the invisible (clear) gauge needles.

On trucks without automatic lights everything works as it should.

I guess it doesnt make alot of sense unless you've driven the trucks, but its frustrating during the day when driving on roads that require your lights on and you can't read the needles. Another well thought out innovation by ford.

/end rant.

No, more than likely, they didn't turn off - they're dimmed. Simply turn the dash dimmer dial to full bright! Subaru actually had a very clever way - my 05 Legacy GT dealt with this problem with a button right beside the clock that turns on all dash lights to max just by pushing it. It was absolutely brilliant, pun intended. My dad's 07 Odyssey is super retarded as the NAV screen also dims and you have to go into the menus to brighten it.

Mercedes deals with this issue by having an interior dimmer that is independent of headlights.. Or in the case of my car, it just leaves all the fucking lights on all the fucking time hahaha.

Yes no lights is a huge pet peeve of mine. However, lately, I've generally given up on trying to flash people because 90% of the time, people have NO FUCKING CLUE even when I do. I flashed this one idiot in a Focus like 3 times and finally at a stoplight I had to roll down my windows to tell them they're stupid.

In the city, it's not generally a problem since we have so many fucking streetlights so in most instances, you will see a car without it's lights on. What IS dangerous is when there's a car without it's lights on AND have no DRLs; it's almost impossible to see them in your mirrors, which happened once with some stupid woman and her Neon on Crowchild one night.

Then there's the issue of burned out lights... Or cars with 3 or sometimes 5 rear brake lights and all but one are burned out. Seriously people...

/rant

PS> I've noticed that no lights at night seems to be VERY common with people driving Hondas, especially Civics (#1) and then Accords. Kind of perplexing LOL.

speedog
01-07-2014, 11:13 AM
AGREED!!! Mind, i tend to point the finger moreso at the idiots in marketing who call FOG lights &quot;driving&quot; lights.... THEY ARE DIFFERENT! :banghead: That's probably because so many believe that fogs are yellow - they don't realize it's the placement of the light and the lighting pattern it's been designed with makes it either a fog or driving light.

And don't get me started on FAKEHIDS... I live in the NE, and if its not high-beams its FAKEHIDS.... *sigh* Its illegal for me to rig up a rigid lightbar to a photocell to have it come on automatically anytime someone has those lights shining into my eyes, RIGHT??????????? :devil:
High beams - why are there so many cars driving around with both their regular headlights and their high beams on? Are these drivers actually holding the high beam stalk in the high beam position causing both sets of lights/beams to be on (can do this on my Chev's) or do they have their vehicle wired to do this or is there just something wrong with their vehicle - all vehicles I see like this are imports and usually Japanese. Very annoying.

codetrap
01-07-2014, 11:50 AM

AGREED!!! Mind, i tend to point the finger moreso at the idiots in marketing who call FOG lights &quot;driving&quot; lights.... THEY ARE DIFFERENT! :banghead:

Are those 3.5M candlepower handheld spots illegal?

clem24
01-07-2014, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by speedog
High beams - why are there so many cars driving around with both their regular headlights and their high beams on? Are these drivers actually holding the high beam stalk in the high beam position causing both sets of lights/beams to be on (can do this on my Chev's) or do they have their vehicle wired to do this or is there just something wrong with their vehicle - all vehicles I see like this are imports and usually Japanese. Very annoying.

Only the H4 that are dual filament bulbs will turn off the lows when the highs are engaged. Otherwise, most of today's cars with lows and highs in separate housings will have both lows and highs on when the highs are engaged. The fogs however will turn off. But still.. Can't understand how you can miss seeing a big blue light on your instrument cluster. And as I stated above, it's almost always Civics too LOL.

Which brings me to another pet peeve: all the stupid fucktards who only turn on their parking lights while leaving their DRLs on (and mostly Asians because you know, they'll break the regular bulbs). Is a problem when the car uses low powered high beams for DRLs, which, even when low powered, will still blind oncoming traffic.

TheHumbleGeek
01-08-2014, 12:51 AM

Are those 3.5M candlepower handheld spots illegal?

Unfortunately... The newest info i read (pre-2005) was that illumination was capped at 1.5M candlepower for all lights in one direction on a vehicle.... how reliable that is, I have no idea anymore, but thats what the standard WAS...

codetrap
01-08-2014, 01:14 AM
Unfortunately... The newest info i read (pre-2005) was that illumination was capped at 1.5M candlepower for all lights in one direction on a vehicle.... how reliable that is, I have no idea anymore, but thats what the standard WAS... I was thinking more a "flashlight" model... you know.. to get someone's attention and make a point.

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/miz5MEXvtrVY_gljhL9L1ew.jpg

TheHumbleGeek
01-08-2014, 01:39 AM
near as i can remember, it didnt make a difference, unfortunately...

bart
01-08-2014, 02:02 AM

wasnt there a CSI episode where there is a way to tell if a light bulb shatters while it is on or off... ? LOL

403Gemini
01-08-2014, 09:07 AM

If the vehicles bulb housing breaks, police forensics can actually determine based on the lines of the plastic/glass under a microscope if the lights were on

Now... will the cops do that? :rofl: fuck no! haha

Originally posted by bart

wasnt there a CSI episode where there is a way to tell if a light bulb shatters while it is on or off... ? LOL

lol didn't see this comment, never watched CSI, learned it in my forensics class in college like 10 years ago, but i guess it's true if it was on TV too ;)

bart
01-08-2014, 04:02 PM
so its true!

http://img-cache.cdn.gaiaonline.com/f22ff2460fb614264175a9407e66c6c1/http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss184/Nicxtrem99/csi_yeah_skyline.jpg

Cos
01-08-2014, 11:29 PM

Disoblige
01-08-2014, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by speedog

Speedog, it's hard to believe but it is true. There are actually people out there that think driving with high beams are perfectly OK. In fact, these people do it thinking they're meant for night or something and don't realize they're blinding everyone. It's mind-blowing how uneducated some of these people can be. Probably see it around once every 2 weeks at least.

theken
01-08-2014, 11:57 PM
7 cars on the drive back from red deer on the highway..no lights, 2 with burnt out tails, my headlights are terrible and light up about 4 feet in front of me, and I could not see at least 4 of these people, one guy passed me 3 times also, with no tails on. love these idiots who pass you when your going 120, slow down, you pass them, then they pass again, and no lights on, saw his dash..dark. idiot.

relyt92
01-09-2014, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by theken
7 cars on the drive back from red deer on the highway..no lights, 2 with burnt out tails, my headlights are terrible and light up about 4 feet in front of me, and I could not see at least 4 of these people, one guy passed me 3 times also, with no tails on. love these idiots who pass you when your going 120, slow down, you pass them, then they pass again, and no lights on, saw his dash..dark. idiot. Did Calgary to Edmonton on the weekend, the same car passed me 7 different times on my trip, I had cruise on the entire time. Newer Mercedes too, so not like some old car without cruise either.

batool100
01-21-2014, 10:59 PM
If a driver is driving on the interstate at night with his headlights off, what specifically would law enforcement charge that driver with? What is the proper name of that offense, as it would appear on a citation?

firebane
01-21-2014, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Cos
So I remembered to take some pictures tonight.

The dashlights are darker as the headlights are now on. My girlfriends car does it this way. Turn the lights on and the intrustment cluster looks different.

Its learning about your car and how it works.

Tik-Tok
01-21-2014, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by batool100
If a driver is driving on the interstate at night with his headlights off, what specifically would law enforcement charge that driver with? What is the proper name of that offense, as it would appear on a citation?

Bots are getting eerily topical...

Cos
01-22-2014, 07:42 AM

Mibz
01-22-2014, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Bots are getting eerily topical... http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/constructive.png

Tik-Tok
01-22-2014, 10:26 AM
Damn you... I just hovered my mouse over the photo.

Mibz
01-22-2014, 10:44 AM
LOL

heavyD
01-27-2014, 08:51 AM
Saw a bunch more vehicles driving without their head lights on this weekend. Is there some sort of drive without your headlights revolution going on?

CapnCrunch
01-27-2014, 09:13 AM
Saw a bunch more vehicles driving without their head lights on this weekend. Is there some sort of drive without your headlights revolution going on?

It's only frightened ethnic drivers doing this.

If you see one,

Govern yourself accordingly.

lilmira
01-27-2014, 09:27 AM
SEEN one last week after work, almost got sideswiped by another car changing lane. That person kept on driving without lights on. :dunno:

Tik-Tok
01-27-2014, 10:10 AM

A lot of new gang member initiations... if you flash them they hunt you down and kill you! :rofl:

Hallowed_point
01-27-2014, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

It's only frightened ethnic drivers doing this.

If you see one,

Govern yourself accordingly.

One of the many reasons why I stay out of the N.E. especially once the sun goes down.

CapnCrunch
01-27-2014, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point

One of the many reasons why I stay out of the N.E. especially once the sun goes down.

I live in the far NW and I still see 3 or 4 a week. Usually driving in the fast lane on Stoney, 20km/h under the limit, no lights on, and a 2 hand death grip on the steering wheel.

firebane
01-27-2014, 12:04 PM
And what I don't understand is that when they are in areas where the lighting is poor and the roads are wet and dirty.. do they not think..

"Hmmmmm seems a bit dark out"

:nut:

ZAV
01-27-2014, 12:15 PM
I don't care if their headlights are on, or just the DRLs, as long as the highlights aren't. The big problem is with the tail lights being off. I agree the lit up-dash without having the lights on is confusing the issue. They should just have the marker lights on all the time, just like on a motorbike, and it's problem solved.

I took a cab from the airport last year, and soon noticed people kept flashing him. I looked over, and sure enough, there's the blue light on his dash indicating the highbeams. I suggested that he turn them off, but he didn't know what I was talking about. I then had to provide a lesson in how the lights worked. At least he listened and after a bit of messing around (and turning the lights off completely) he eventually managed to turn the highlights off.
:banghead:

firebane
01-27-2014, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by ZAV
I don't care if their headlights are on, or just the DRLs, as long as the highlights aren't. The big problem is with the tail lights being off. I agree the lit up-dash without having the lights on is confusing the issue. They should just have the marker lights on all the time, just like on a motorbike, and it's problem solved.

I took a cab from the airport last year, and soon noticed people kept flashing him. I looked over, and sure enough, there's the blue light on his dash indicating the highbeams. I suggested that he turn them off, but he didn't know what I was talking about. I then had to provide a lesson in how the lights worked. At least he listened and after a bit of messing around (and turning the lights off completely) he eventually managed to turn the highlights off.

Actually only some not all motorbikes have marker lights as this is not a mandatory thing on a bike.

Although on vehicles marker lights only come on if you turn them on or have some form of automatic lights otherwise you will just be driving around with DRL on and no taillights and that is whats dangerous.

relyt92
01-27-2014, 07:13 PM
I see a ton of newer civics driver by asian women with the marker+tail lights on but no headlights. Don't know they need to turn the switch one spot further.

GTS4tw
01-27-2014, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by ZAV

Never heard them called highlights before...