PDA

View Full Version : Info on Volvo cars

86caprirs
01-03-2014, 03:50 PM
I don't know much about them but I am interested in one. What can you tell me about the 850 turbo cars or the later v70 cars.

Thanks

corsvette
01-03-2014, 06:21 PM
Watch out for oil leaks. The PCV system likes to plug up, this creates all kinds of pressure and takes out the oil seals, in particular the rear main.

Tomaz
01-06-2014, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by corsvette
Watch out for oil leaks. The PCV system likes to plug up, this creates all kinds of pressure and takes out the oil seals, in particular the rear main.

Nail on the head. Sometimes you will even see oil puking out of the fill cap if there is enough pressure buildup. Pretty damn annoying.

If buying a turbo model, be sure to note that it is a low-pressure turbo system. This means if you want to "up the boost", you run a very high risk of burning out the turbo really quick. Yes, speaking from experience. Just to note: the $20 I spent on a manual boost controller changed my 17.2 quarter mile runs into 14.5. Damn good value. lol

Generally, I found most parts for the car are cheap. Suspension, brakes, wheel bearings, all that stuff is very reasonably priced. Stupid little things to do with the electronics can be ghastly expensive (heated seats, seat motors, power window switches, etc.).

The brakes are brembo's. The 5-cyl turbo motor sounds cool (imo). It is easy to get some power from bolt-on parts (check out IPD). "Winter Mode" is pretty useless and all it does is start you off in 3rd gear. Double-din head units fit perfectly.

Biggest thing: Do your own maintenance. Valentine and Mr. Volvo have ludacris pricing and the car is piss-simple to work on by yourself. Save your money.

kvg
01-06-2014, 10:13 AM
most of this applies

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/377166/learn-me-volvo-x-countrys/

calgaryamzy
01-11-2014, 09:18 AM
Honestly the best car I owned my my 1998 Volvo s70 stage 2 ipd was a crazy sleeper never gave me a problem and was fast and best dd

ianmcc
01-11-2014, 11:56 AM
Will be faster once I swap in the new cams and larger T/B and the intake manifold gets ported out!