PDA

View Full Version : O&G career path, wages

lof
01-03-2014, 07:35 PM
Hi guys,
I’ve been working in heavy manufacturing for 6 years (project engineer) for a company that makes equipment for oil and gas sites. At the company I’m working for my job has hit a dead end both pay wise and career wise. I’m really interested in working up at Fort Mac – pay seems great, and it would be awesome to work with what I currently produce. I don't mind long hours or working outdoors and having time off longer than a 2 day weekend (even if infrequent)would be a bonus. My position puts me in contact with a number of site superintendents, project managers, etc. and would love to jump in to this with them. Would be interested in either supervisory/management position or field engineering, depending on what would be easier to get into.

I've done some pay research has given a wide range of figures, from 90K to 150K base salary. Seems like a big range – what would be a realistic target? Or somewhere outside that range? Do wages vary that much between different companies?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
lof

avishal26
01-03-2014, 09:18 PM
Out of curiosity, how much do you rake in (approx) after 6 yrs as proj. engr at a manufacturing company?

lof
01-03-2014, 10:17 PM
Less than 60k

ExtraSlow
01-03-2014, 10:34 PM
The range is wider than that. Considering you don't have a company or specific position in mind, I'd day you shouldn't expect really specific salary info.

pfis300
01-04-2014, 06:08 PM
Ehhh, depending on your qualifications - supervisor and management positions are usually hired INSIDE the company for the 75-125k range - and anything above that they are looking for 10-20 years experience in running divisions/big contracts/etc.

Look into starting at the bottom, gain a good reputation out in the field, and move up from there.

You can find good jobs that pay $80k+ with room for quick advancement if you're not a dingleberry and are a hard worker.

Your best shot will be to find a small to medium (relative) sized O&G (RELATED) company to start with and move up as they hopefully grow.

(I started at 85k in my job, working 2 weeks on, 1 week off) - $50k a year starting salary. The rest is *on the job* pay.

Me and other friends of mine moved up quick in this company - a lot of it is luck of the draw on which company will treat you best your first time up here.

J.M.
01-04-2014, 06:54 PM
^ What company? I'm thinking about looking for field work..

avishal26
01-04-2014, 10:37 PM
Usually with field work, if you are an engineer, then you get paid a tax-free allowance (unless you live in camp) and tonnes of overtime.

You should be very close to 6 figures up in ft mac w/ overtime. With 6 years of previous 'engineering' experience, you could potentially be grossing close to 120k (these are average numbers I'm quoting you - for specific, you would have to narrow down your selection of company/line of work first)

lof
01-05-2014, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

lof
01-06-2014, 08:55 AM
It sounds like that the best route for me to take would be a field position, as that would be the easiest way to get hired. No specific company in mind, but preferably one that is committed to employee training/advancement. (i.e. slb comes to mind) Preference would be for a 7 in/7 out or 14 in/14 out rotation where I can still keep my home in the Okanagan. If time spent in Fort Mac is longer duration (e.g. 2 weeks in 1 week out) then preference would be to be set up in Fort Mac more permanently with my spouse. My other half would then be looking for a restaurant or cleaning job, not oil and gas work. Not really sure if this would be doable with a camp job, so at the moment I am not set on a position or company, but finding a way to balance out relocation with my spouse so we both benefit. I'm in my early thirties (no kids) and own a house, and didn't want to jump into something that could adversely affect our relationship or do a major hit our pocketbook with relocation expenses.

03ozwhip
01-06-2014, 09:30 AM
No doubt about it, you're going to affect your relationship with this big change. I would advise against moving to fort mac even if it will be closer to work for you. You will hate it there and so will your spouse.

Like others have said, you're going to have to start at the bottom as a labourer which will still probably get you in the 75-80k range, just don't do seismic if it's money you're after, you'll make fuck all.