PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever re-zone their Lot?

the_man
01-03-2014, 07:40 PM
So I have a home on 20th ave NW (a pretty busy street) with a full sized lot (50'x125'), and someone mentioned to me that I should consider rezoning the lot from it's current designation of R-C2 to a multi residential zoning such as M-CG or M-C1.

I've talked to the community association rep, and he requested quite a bit. He asked for complete designed plans of the future development, personally written and signed letters from my neighbors (apparently not even a signed petition is enough) and some other things.

I also called city hall, and they have set me up to meet with one of their planners, they mentioned it could take 4-6 weeks to get back to me though.

My question is has anyone ever done anything like this? Any experiences they want to share? Thanks :thumbsup:

Tik-Tok
01-03-2014, 07:51 PM
I was considering it until I noticed the $6000 in non-refundable application fees for re-zoning. So if they say no, you're out $6g.

http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/DBA/Documents/fees/land-use-amendment-fees.pdf

e31
01-03-2014, 09:20 PM
Not Calgary, but Rockyview has just as many hoops to jump thru. I paid too much taxes for 3 years initially because of previously incorrect property zoning, non-refundable I might add.

Then during subdivision process, you have to fork up for things like area groundwater surveys, etc. In the end they are just happy to steal your money and deliver nothing. Fuck Rockyview.

AndyL
01-03-2014, 09:33 PM
Holy SH*T

it was like 500$ back in 98(?) - why the f*ck did it go up to 6k?

No wonder no basement suites are going legal...

Tik-Tok
01-03-2014, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
Holy SH*T

it was like 500$ back in 98(?) - why the f*ck did it go up to 6k?

No wonder no basement suites are going legal...

I should note, apparently Nenshi did away with the fee, if it's for a secondary suite. That seems to have changed since I was doing the research (as that's what I was planning on doing).

the_man
01-03-2014, 10:52 PM
Doesn't look like anyone has many good things to say about rezoning lol. Is there anyone that has had success rezoning?

AndyL
01-03-2014, 10:59 PM
My only knowledge comes from 98 - and that was an undeveloped community (and it was still a complete and total royal fucking pain in the arse; to the extent this cheap scottish SOB farmed it out to a lawyer to just get it done)