PDA

View Full Version : Direct Energy Question

Feruk
01-04-2014, 11:22 AM
I currently get my gas from Direct Energy but looks like it's "distributed" by Atco? On top of the "cost of gas" per GJ and some $6.50 admin fee, I get charged these:

Delivery charge - fixed
Delivery charge - variable
Rate Rider
Municipal Franchise Fee

I've got three questions:
1) What is a "Municipal Franchise Fee?" Does this mean I pay $10 more because I pay Direct Energy rather than ATCO directly???
2) What is a "Rate Rider"?
3) I think the answer's no, but is there any way to lower the fixed and variable delivery charges?

codetrap
01-04-2014, 11:27 AM
Read your bill. It has explanations of each of those on it.

Cos
01-04-2014, 11:31 AM

Star1995
01-04-2014, 11:38 AM
Here's the easy answer;

Google Direct Energy scam.

:closed:

Cos
01-04-2014, 11:47 AM

Sugarphreak
01-04-2014, 01:01 PM

JudasJimmy
01-04-2014, 01:28 PM
^^^ this

16hypen3sp
01-04-2014, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Direct Energy is run by a bunch of sleezy fuck heads... switch to Enmax EasyMAX and your bill should drop considerably

.....what? DE has the cheapest bills I have ever had in my life. Never had any problems with them. Even when I closed my account with DE regulated, they sent me my credit back right away. No one else did. I'm now with DE Essential and my bill has dropped further.

I have heard horror story's about Enmax.

Canucks3322
01-05-2014, 05:15 PM
^ I thought there are actually TWO Direct Energy's in Alberta, one is a reputable legit company, the other is the one that employs the sales people that actually lie and sign people without them knowing, go door to door and were on the news, etc....

dj_rice
01-05-2014, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
^ I thought there are actually TWO Direct Energy's in Alberta, one is a reputable legit company, the other is the one that employs the sales people that actually lie and sign people without them knowing, go door to door and were on the news, etc....

Direct Energy Regulated Services is legit

There is only 3 default gas providers in Alberta you get get gas from I believe.

Enmax
Atco
Direct Energy Regulated Services

Direct Energy is a scam.

Cos
01-05-2014, 05:37 PM

16hypen3sp
01-05-2014, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322

I know exactly who you are talking about.

Direct Energy is some kind of contract scam company. I think they use that name to confuse people into thinking they are the legit Direct Energy Services company... greasy bastards.

Feruk
01-07-2014, 04:42 PM
Now that I understand the parts of my bill, how the heck do I figure out which will be cheaper?? ATCO and Direct Energy have the same $/GJ price month after month where as Enmax is all over the map on their rates. Does this mean that if I get power from ATCO, the TOTAL $ amount I pay will be exactly the same as if I had gone with Direct Energy? Why or why not? How will this compare to Enmax?

AndrewMZ3
01-07-2014, 08:54 PM
Sign up for Enmax EasyMax and lock in your power. Leave your gas on the regulated rate.

Feruk
01-08-2014, 09:36 AM
I've got this advice a couple times, but nobody can seem to tell me why this option is cheaper...

AndrewMZ3
01-08-2014, 10:40 AM
It just has to do with price volatility.

The AB power market is an oligopoly and is prone to manipulation. At the current easymax rate of 8.9c you leave maybe 2-4c on the table vs floating on weak months. But if there are a few generator outages with weather, 15c power isn't unusual and the spot market can and likely will hit the cap which is the equivalent to $1.00/kwh.

On the gas side the premium to sign a fixed contract vs the spot floating rate is a lot more significant and with the amount of supply out there it would take something unusual (like hurricane Katrina) to move the forward prices up.

Also, with easymax you can cancel with I believe a months notice, so there's some flexibility there as well.

Tik-Tok
01-08-2014, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Feruk
I've got this advice a couple times, but nobody can seem to tell me why this option is cheaper...

When I signed up, it was 8c /kwh. The average floating rate in the past year was 8.8c. Add to that, the most expensive months are always in summer, so if you run air conditioning, you'll save a bundle then.

dj_rice
01-08-2014, 12:13 PM
EasyMax Enmax.

Floating gas, fixed electricity is what I was suggested through Beyond threads so thats what I went with.

Canucks3322
01-08-2014, 12:28 PM
Everyone always talks about rates for electric and heat...I took beyond advice and use easy max....what about water???

Feruk
01-08-2014, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, but so far none of you have answered the question. This is strictly about gas, not electricity. Variable gas rate, cheaper long term, knew all that. I'm with Direct Energy and have that already. I also have no contract, so this has nothing to do with signing a contract vs not.

The question remains: Why would I go with Enmax Easymax for my gas vs the variable gas alternatives offered by ATCO or Direct Energy? I realize it's been suggested in a few threads before, but WHY?

roopi
01-08-2014, 12:47 PM
The question remains: Why would I go with Enmax Easymax for my gas vs the variable gas alternatives offered by ATCO or Direct Energy? I realize it's been suggested in a few threads before, but WHY?

I've always been with Direct Energy on a floating rate and never had an issue with them. I as well read many people suggesting Easymax. The ONLY reason I could see to change over to Easymax was because you receive a $100.00 credit with them on a yearly basis compared to Direct Energy. I left both my gas/electricity floating with Easymax.

Tik-Tok
01-08-2014, 12:51 PM

I'm not sure anyone has suggested that. Every thread I've read, people suggest Enmax Fixed Electricity, and Enmax Floating Gas. Having both accounts with Enmax gives you a discount through them I believe, and their gas rates are on par with everyone elses.

Kinjou
01-08-2014, 05:37 PM
Yeah, the EasyMax credits ($100/annually) are nice to have on your bill. But if you look at the variable historic rates offered by Enmax and DE, you can see that there is a difference between them.

DE Rates: https://www.directenergy.com/historical-pricing/historical-pricing-alberta-open-flex-plan-natural-gas

Enmax Rates: https://www.enmax.com/ForYourHomeSite/Pages/Rates-EasyMax-Gas.aspx?modalNoScroll=1&modalNoBezel=1&IsDlg=1

The biggest difference is during the summer as noted in May. DE had a variable rate of over $7.40, while Enmax hovered around $3.50.