PDA

View Full Version : Must Have New Home Options

Ca_Silvia13
01-04-2014, 01:44 PM
I have to sit down with my builder to select options in the next few weeks. I have my must have list already, dual ensuites, larger cabinets for the 9' ceilings. But being that this is new first new build home (townhouse technically). I wanted to get a few educated opinions from people who have gone through this already or renovated their townhouse recently.

killramos
01-04-2014, 01:59 PM
Prewire speaker wire and Ethernet.

Tube from tv mounting location to av cabinets. As big as possible.

Security system prewire

Somewhere to hang coats /shoes at back door.

All things that you might never use but will help resale and is much easier to do before the place is finished.

88CRX
01-04-2014, 02:06 PM
There's a really good thread on here already, do a quick search.

- start with stuff you can't add later (9' ceilings, extra windows, bigger garage, structural stuff)
- add upgrades that's aren't cheap to change after the fact (kitchen, appliances, flooring)
- try to set a budget (good luck sticking it it haha)
- confirm finished basement layout and coordinate furnace location and bathroom rough in
- light fixtures are easy to change after moving in

Edit: just saw its a townhouse. I wouldn't go too crazy with upgrades. Throw in hardwood and granite and be done.

JordanLotoski
01-04-2014, 02:07 PM
I would suggest 10' main floor and 9' upper with 8' doors

Ca_Silvia13
01-04-2014, 02:17 PM
It is a townhouse so most structural items are set in stone. I didn't think of the AV stuff, good idea there.

What about extra interior insulation more for noise purposes, anyone thinks it's NOT worth it?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-04-2014, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Ca_Silvia13
It is a townhouse so most structural items are set in stone. I didn't think of the AV stuff, good idea there.

What about extra interior insulation more for noise purposes, anyone thinks it's NOT worth it?

It's totally worth it, glad I opted for it on my townhome.

88CRX
01-04-2014, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Ca_Silvia13

Who's the builder? Didn't think they normally offered that upgrade on town homes.

Sorath
01-04-2014, 02:37 PM
for me heated tiles. and air conditioning

having both on at the same time in winter :poosie:

The_Penguin
01-04-2014, 02:40 PM
Garage floor drain.

CRXguy
01-04-2014, 02:54 PM
Structured wiring was included when we built our house. I would do flooring if it's in your plans after moving in. Builders charge premium price for shitty material.

These are some of the major upgrades I can remember:

9ft main floor ceiling
8'4" basement
upgraded windows
pre-wired for 5.1 in bonus room
ceiling high kitchen cabinets
in-floor heating in main bath and master ensuite
sink rough-in for garage
garage floor drain
gas line hookup in garage and future rear deck
sound proof insulation in walls of bonus room connecting to 2 other bedrooms

ianmcc
01-04-2014, 03:32 PM
Have a natural gas line plumbed in to the deck with a quick connect for the NG BBQ.
Best money I ever spent when we built.

Xtrema
01-04-2014, 04:23 PM
Don't waste your money, it's a townhouse, not detached single house. Just stick with:

- Sound proofing upgrade
- Granite counter top
- CAT5/TV cable conduit

Upgrades are just like cars. Enough to give good 1st impression to sell it. Everything else, you will never get $ back.

nickyh
01-04-2014, 04:37 PM
How long are you planning on staying there?

If you are looking to stay for only a few years, the best options have been given. People expect hardwood & granite these days, stainless applicances and the cat5/condiuts.

If you are planning on something more permanent, then i would add the interior soundproofing as you will enjoy the benefits more.
- garage drain plug
- taps in garage
- heated tile floors
Basically anything that would be a royal PITA to have to do later.

Ca_Silvia13
01-05-2014, 11:55 AM
I want to say 5 years but that always turns out to be longer. I am definitely not going crazy with custom options but there have been a few mentioned already that i had not thought of.

AV cable pre wired for surround
Garage floor drain
Basement sink rough in
Sound proofing interior walls
NG BBQ hook up

Thanks guys

rookie101
01-05-2014, 12:27 PM
Add lights to every nook and cranny you can think of, add extra pot lights to the kitchen, under cabinet lighting and above if there is room. You can't have too many lights in the house, but be sure they are all on separate switches and dimmable preferably.

Privacy glass in the bathroom if applicable, and as mentioned heat the floor at least in the ensuite! I also added a door to the master ensuite, best decision ever. I really hate that builders have all taken to removing that door. Make the shower as large as possible.

Change all the lower cabinets to pot drawers, makes it so much easier to organize and find things. Upgrade all the appliances, slide in range at a minimum. Have supports put behind all towel and toilet paper holders as well as where you think your TV will be.

Add at least a couple wall plugs around the house that have a USB jack in them and put outlets in the main floor closets for things like rechargeable vacuums.

Now go back and add way more lights!

Edit

Also go all out on the kitchen backsplash, you wont regret it!

Deeznuts
01-06-2014, 10:07 AM
I'm also going through the same process right now... Builder is quoting around $29g for finished basement for a two-storey home. Is this something I should include now or do years later?

Kloubek
01-06-2014, 10:23 AM
Are you handy? Can you do the work yourself? If so, I would suggest doing it later. If you're the one working on it, you can chip away at the development over time, and save some 20g in the process.

If you're going to get it professionally done anyway, then might as well get it all done at once. Plus, that way, the work will be warrantied in case you find any issues shortly down the road. However, make sure you get a reasonable rate; builders love to overcharge for pretty simple upgrades and extra work.

benyl
01-06-2014, 10:56 AM
If you aren't heating your garage, get a bathroom exhaust fan for your garage to get the humidity out. The drain isn't enough. You will thank me later.

Get taps in the garage (they are $150-$200 each). Get hot and cold.

If you have kids and any semblance of a yard (I know it is a townhouse), get a hot tap for the outside to fill the kiddie pool.

Get a tap on your deck so you can spray it off.

If you aren't staying, don't waste your money. haha.

I have taps everywhere and still don't have enough.

Make sure you christmas light plug is somewhere reasonable. I didn't think of it when I build my house. It is 40 ft off the ground in a place I am unlikely to put lights myself.

Deeznuts
01-06-2014, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Are you handy? Can you do the work yourself? If so, I would suggest doing it later. If you're the one working on it, you can chip away at the development over time, and save some 20g in the process.

If you're going to get it professionally done anyway, then might as well get it all done at once. Plus, that way, the work will be warrantied in case you find any issues shortly down the road. However, make sure you get a reasonable rate; builders love to overcharge for pretty simple upgrades and extra work.

Well, I can do up to electrical & ethernet wiring/terminations and drywall... So no i'm not that handy hahah. However, i would be willing to learn though.

If the work was professionally done later on, wouldn't the respective trades warrant their work as part of the contract?

Kloubek
01-06-2014, 12:14 PM
You'd think so. But since you already have open communication with the builder for the overall house warranty, why not utilize that if at all possible?

I imagine that any development the builder does in the basement would also be covered by whatever extended new home warranty you might have - for what little it might be worth.

tpurcell4
01-06-2014, 03:35 PM
If you are having any carpet in the home, upgrade the underlay to a thicker ply. I believe its 10 ply or thicker is ideal. Go to the Morrison showhome in Mahogany on the lake. Walk on the carpet upstairs. They have one of the thickest underlays you can get. It is like walking on a pillow.

Do not spend too much on a townhome in un-needed extras, but rough-in as much as you can think of. Rough-ins are relatively inexpensive, and will save you money down the road if you decide to add the feature in. Example, the plumbing rough-ins in the basement, additional electrical rough-ins, cat-5/6, vacu-flow, etc.

But definitely, check out the thick underlay :)

DENZILDON
01-06-2014, 03:49 PM
In house vacuum system!

Kloubek
01-07-2014, 09:30 AM
Most builders rough in a vacuum system, do they not?

Excellent advice on the underlay, tpurcell4. Totally forgot about that - but it is 100% worth the extra.

benyl
01-07-2014, 09:56 AM
Underlay is measured in Pounds.

Thicker / Heavier isn't necessarily better. You have to upgrade to quality underlay, not just a thicker builder spec underlay. And yes, this is a good upgrade.

Ca_Silvia13
01-07-2014, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Most builders rough in a vacuum system, do they not?

Excellent advice on the underlay, tpurcell4. Totally forgot about that - but it is 100% worth the extra.

Correct, roughed vacu-flo it is already included.

BMS
01-07-2014, 11:07 AM
If you have a truck or ever plan to make sure to measure the garage depth. Mine was supposedly 20 ft but I guess that is 20 to the outside so my truck does not fit :cry:

CapnCrunch
01-07-2014, 01:12 PM
Rough a gas line into the garage for a heater.

you&me
01-07-2014, 02:21 PM
Depending on the layout, consider your furniture and the placement of plugs. Plus, don't forget on the island in the kitchen and in the cabinets in the bathroom.

If you're upgrading the underlay, look into the carpet as well. No point in having nice cushy underlay if there's just cheap-ass builder grade carpet on top.

suntan
01-07-2014, 02:31 PM
I disagree with roughing in the basement bathroom. No one ever gets it right. Trent from Affordable Basements rips out 95% of them. And many times they're off by just a few inches.

Upgrade windows. You can actually get pretty good R-value windows now.
Insulate with closed-cell spray foam.
Upgrade the bathroom fans!

ExtraSlow
01-07-2014, 03:37 PM
Make sure sure your basement windows meet egress code for bedrooms. Many do not, and it's a nearly free "upgrade" at time of construction, and thousands per window to retrofit later.

HiTempguy1
01-07-2014, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Deeznuts
I'm also going through the same process right now... Builder is quoting around $29g for finished basement for a two-storey home. Is this something I should include now or do years later?

That seems like a SCREAMING deal. Depending on what is included, hell yea I'd go for that.

No offense, but if you aren't already a tradesman, you finishing the basement yourself is not near the "quality" most people will expect on a new-ish home nowadays.

This isn't the 80's people...

Originally posted by suntan

Upgrade windows. You can actually get pretty good R-value windows now.

Upgraded windows are a waste of money on some place you don't think you'll be staying in. It's nice to have, but not worth it at ALL ROI. I'd worry more about spending money on higher r-value insulation (and better soundproofing since its a townhouse) over windows.

roopi
01-07-2014, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

No offense, but if you aren't already a tradesman, you finishing the basement yourself is not near the "quality" most people will expect on a new-ish home nowadays.

This isn't the 80's people...

Hire people to do some 'key' finishing portions of the basement such as mud/tape, paint and it can look like professional quality.

suntan
01-07-2014, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
Upgraded windows are a waste of money on some place you don't think you'll be staying in. It's nice to have, but not worth it at ALL ROI. I'd worry more about spending money on higher r-value insulation (and better soundproofing since its a townhouse) over windows. He'd have to check but I suspect getting higher grade windows aren't that much more than the builder standard. My friend built a new house and upgraded to triple-pane for less than a couple thousand. They are nice because better windows are much more condensation resistant.

Higher R-value is really hard to do unless you go spray foam. I think everybody does the exterior foamboards now. Adding extra to the attic is very cheap though.

HiTempguy1
01-07-2014, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by roopi

Hire people to do some 'key' finishing portions of the basement such as mud/tape, paint and it can look like professional quality.

Not disagreeing here. Of course, when all is said and done, if you don't do it all yourself, I can quickly see a basement getting finished (with say minimum one bedroom w/ closet, one full bath, and an entertainment/living area) hitting $30k DIY with some professional "help" as you suggested. At that point, might as well have the builder do it.